Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: The Dark Below 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Below  (Read 74789 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #70 on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:29 PM

Edit: I forgot, another highlight says you can "Boost to 90 and play immediately." That's great news, if you didn't already level all of your toons to 90 o.O

Considering the fall-off of the last several years, I mark this is a "come back, we're sorry!" move. 

I stopped after my second 90 in Pandaria and the next character was only 87, with a bunch of 85s 9 months ago.  I certainly wasn't going to slog through with the rest to come back and try out the new x-pack and the thought of doing Pandaria again if I wanted to play my DK over a hunter or rogue was enough that I decided I'd never play WoW again.   This feature has me reconsidering.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #71 on: November 08, 2013, 12:33:50 PM

The boost to 90 is an even more damning commentary about Cataclysm, not to mention the streamlined Pandaria content. They rehauled the entire world and now they are letting people skip the whole thing 3 years later. What the hell was the point?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 08, 2013, 12:38:44 PM

Because it's an old assed game and because everyone is now doing it. EQ2. LOTRO is getting ready to do it, word is, though it'll cost there. GW2 already has mechanisms in place so that everyone is kind of the same level as everyone else where it might matter.

And new players still have to go through all the old stuff, almost guaranteed; I'm sure it'll be tied to already having a 90.

This is a good thing and nobody should be complaining.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #73 on: November 08, 2013, 12:41:39 PM

I'm not complaining. It should just be pointed out time and again that trying to recycle or reuse old content is a gigantic waste of time. Rehauling the leveling experience was a giant waste of time.

Most customers are paying to see the next thing, not the thing from 4 years ago.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #74 on: November 08, 2013, 12:42:15 PM

I didn't like the most recent xpac, though heading to Draenor might pique my interest again.  Even if it's just through time travel.  

One of the major changes I liked was how the zones where story-based for completion, instead of an obvious treadmill from A to B.  I hope they continue that process, and it should have been done that way for the Cata zone revamps.  I wish Blizzard weren't so scared to modify established parts of the world; they could really do some amazing limited-time events in the core worlds if they tried.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: November 08, 2013, 12:47:19 PM

Because it's an old assed game and because everyone is now doing it. EQ2. LOTRO is getting ready to do it, word is, though it'll cost there. GW2 already has mechanisms in place so that everyone is kind of the same level as everyone else where it might matter.

And new players still have to go through all the old stuff, almost guaranteed; I'm sure it'll be tied to already having a 90.

This is a good thing and nobody should be complaining.

Here all of the details: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/warlords-of-draenor/

Opposing the Iron Horde are the heroes of Azeroth—at the heights of power they’ve always been destined for. Even if you’re new or returning to the game, Warlords empowers you to immediately upgrade one of your characters to level 90 and master new abilities at the gateway to Draenor, so that you can charge into grand combat right away. Play the races and classes you’ve always wanted to try, wage war alongside your friends, and take your place among Warcraft’s finest.

I doubt I will want to play, but since I haven't had a max character since WOTLK, this would be something that got me to play again if I was looking for an excuse.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: November 08, 2013, 12:50:16 PM

Hrm. I missed that it was new players, too. That seems to be a tacit admission that new blood isn't coming in. Which isn't shocking at all.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 08, 2013, 12:53:21 PM

I'm not complaining. It should just be pointed out time and again that trying to recycle or reuse old content is a gigantic waste of time. Rehauling the leveling experience was a giant waste of time.

Most customers are paying to see the next thing, not the thing from 4 years ago.

But what about the the thing from 19 years ago?

Facepalm

So time-travel and an expansion centered around a less interesting version of Outlands (not gonna see really creative/messed-up zones like Netherstorm). No new classes or races, they won't even manage to get all the new models done in time for release. What a hugely disappointing direction to go after MoP breathed so much life back into the game.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 08, 2013, 12:57:50 PM

And by "so much life back into the game" you mean "caused subscriptions to fall at record rates"?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 08, 2013, 01:03:52 PM

This new expansion doesn't seem to have anything compelling about it at all, but to get me back it would take a lot so I have a very negative bias against it. I'm willing to wait and see though.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #80 on: November 08, 2013, 01:14:42 PM

And by "so much life back into the game" you mean "caused subscriptions to fall at record rates"?

Once again, we've learned that if Rokal hates it, that means it likely will have large mass appeal to the fans.  why so serious?

EDIT: Pandaria did some things right, but they did almost all of them AFTER shit hit the fan. In the beginning stages, it was nothing but horrible dailies cockblocking everything, and faction grinding to the max.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:16:27 PM by Paelos »

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: November 08, 2013, 01:14:53 PM

If by "caused subscriptions to fall at record rates" you mean "didn't set any records for subscription losses and did a pretty good job retaining subscribers throughout it's lifespan" then yeah, totally.

As for this expansion being proof about what Blizzard learned from Cata, apparently they didn't learn that people weren't too excited about revisiting old content/zones. Thematically this is going to be pretty close to Cata: "revisit old zones and storylines from WoW's past!"

Here is a video of the changes Outlands will see in the new expansion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzeih7_7Hc&feature=player_embedded

You can tell which zones are in the new expansion because they look like every other non-Outlands zone in the game. Pretty exciting stuff.  Facepalm
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 01:15:39 PM

This new expansion doesn't seem to have anything compelling about it at all, but to get me back it would take a lot so I have a very negative bias against it. I'm willing to wait and see though.
On the other hand player housing with Doff missions.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:51 PM

I'll buy the CE for the wife, since she's never stopped playing, maybe one for myself just to have a complete set but the question of playing is another matter.  If there's the same ridiculous gear & rep grind that MOP had I won't bother even opening the box.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 01:20:02 PM

I honestly can't believe they would repeat the decision to hide all the valor gear behind faction reputations with large daily requirements, but if they do, they are going to hemorrhage subs in the first month.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: November 08, 2013, 01:33:14 PM

Thank Christ for those inventory changes.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 08, 2013, 01:42:12 PM

Thank Christ for those inventory changes.

Heirlooms and Toys to be collected like Pets and Mounts. And possibly Tabards as well!
And they're not going to make us collect Quest items in our bags? That's a great feature, I'm glad Blizzard is finally stealing it.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: November 08, 2013, 01:45:11 PM

Also crafting from the bank and stuff stacking to 100. Add in a way to deal with transmog gear and I might actually have some bank space available.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 08, 2013, 01:52:45 PM

Big changes to raiding. Flex will be used for normal and heroic. Mythic difficulty is fixed 20-man raiding.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #89 on: November 08, 2013, 01:53:01 PM

Someone make a new thread about the new expansion so I can complain about how I don't like outland, don't like the dranei, find all orcs really one dimensional/boring, am dubious of time travel plots and am not excited enough about this to resub.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: November 08, 2013, 01:53:57 PM

Those follower names made me giggle.

Sorry.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 08, 2013, 01:56:28 PM

Big changes to raiding. Flex will be used for normal and heroic. Mythic difficulty is fixed 20-man raiding.

Because when people tell you 4 difficulties is too many, what they are really saying is "please add a 5th difficulty"
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #92 on: November 08, 2013, 02:00:39 PM

There's a bitching thread about this now.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 08, 2013, 02:20:11 PM

Because when people tell you 4 difficulties is too many, what they are really saying is "please add a 5th difficulty"

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: November 08, 2013, 02:25:51 PM

That makes much more sense in my eyes. Mythic for the hardcores, heroic flex for the people who think they are hardcores and the rest for everyone else. We'll see how it works in practice.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 08, 2013, 02:35:14 PM

That does make way more sense. If they are nerfing normals to match the difficulty of flex, and nerfing heroics to the difficulty of normals, I hope this means they won't require people to run normals (5.4's Flex) first.

Also confused about why Mythic is 20-man instead of 25-man. Why not just cap normal/heroics at 20 at this point and be done with it?

Edit: I guess this really screws over current 10-man heroic raiders too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:51:58 PM by Rokal »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 08, 2013, 03:39:20 PM

I think because it's easier to tune properly if it's a set amount combined with it being in the middle of 10 and 25. Once they added flexible raiding, they pretty much had to account for variable guild sizes/raid teams and that seems the easiest way to ballpark it.

Talking to a friend who works there, the weirdness with the tiers seems to mostly be down to naming of the tiers and how they're presented without the graphic. They did it in the weirdest, most obtuse way possible.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 03:45:21 PM

Hey can someone find my old post about how Blizzard's response to all of the bad raid design would be to add another difficulty level?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 03:56:21 PM

They meshed 10 & 25 so they're the same now, so they didn't really add a level.  Doesn't mean its any better, tho.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: November 08, 2013, 04:19:16 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #100 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:18 PM

That's.... horrifying.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #101 on: November 08, 2013, 04:21:57 PM

Did they keep the gnome female "choo choo" emote sound? That's really all that matters.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 08, 2013, 04:22:51 PM

That's.... horrifying.
It is a gnome.  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #103 on: November 08, 2013, 04:30:43 PM

2/10, would not bang.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: November 08, 2013, 04:33:08 PM

Better?  why so serious?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: The Dark Below  
Jump to: