Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: The Dark Below 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Below  (Read 74787 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

on: August 13, 2013, 10:34:04 AM

Note 1: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=44566 (title)
Note 2: http://wowpedia.org/Dark_Below

(Or it might be the D3 expansion)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:36:50 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:41:21 AM

Are you suggesting an expansion?  This post is pretty cryptic.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:52:25 AM

A 100% underwater expansion is clearly what is needed.  awesome, for real

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:08:16 AM

Diablo expansion, not wow.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:45 AM

Yeah, Azeroth's pretty tapped out at this point, after WotLK, Cata, and MoP.  With all the setup that they're doing regarding the Black Dragon prince, we're going back to Outland or somewhere else beyond.

Gotta be a Diablo xpack.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:12:51 AM

Could be either. It's pretty unusual to be this far into a WoW expansion without knowing at least the name of the next one.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:17:31 AM

True...the Dark Below could refer to the remaining Old God(s).  If that's the case, nuke this forum from orbit already.  We're done here.   why so serious?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:31:57 AM

I thought it sounded like a D3 xpac, considering the time frame and content about items and currency.

D3's soulstone goes tumbling down from the Heavens, lands in the oceans. We travel to the island of something-something-something-DARKSIDE to investigate the corruption and possibly find out the fate of Imperius and his search for the fallen stone...

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:48 PM

It COULD be wow but I doubt it, we've already BEEN below azeroth, ain't shit there but fat rock women. They could just say that this is a different below but that just seems like it would retread the same territory.

Also didn't diablo's soulstone crash into earth and presumably somewhere underground?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:46:57 PM

Well we did highlands, desert, tundra in terms of level types. I would think they could do a rainforest theme in the next one, on an island somewhere.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 12:49:41 PM

It COULD be wow but I doubt it, we've already BEEN below azeroth, ain't shit there but fat rock women. They could just say that this is a different below but that just seems like it would retread the same territory.

Also didn't diablo's soulstone crash into earth and presumably somewhere underground?

The Dark Below that is already referenced in the game in WoW is underwater. Granted, Blizzard isn't known for their creative naming, but given that Ozumat exists, it seems more likely to be WoW-related than anything else. Hell it could be a card game expansion or something.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:55:07 PM

It's an expansion of Krakens!

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:27 PM

Also they completely dropped the Neptulon arc they were going to make into an abyssal maw raid during Cata.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 01:00:27 PM

When are they doing dreamland?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:11 PM

Never. They couldn't figure out a way to make it about the Old Gods, so Metzen can't script it.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 01:10:07 PM

It's an expansion of Krakens!
"Zak McKraken: The AlienOld God Mindbenders".

Hey, the Mindbenders in WOW are already kraken-like creatures... don't need to work too hard on this one.  awesome, for real

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:47 PM

Does Zak have a brother Phil?
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 01:22:04 PM

I figured this was pretty obviously the Diablo expansion.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:09 PM

I figured this was pretty obviously the Diablo expansion.

That's what I thought too, but then Ingmar had to come all in here and drop an obscure underwater Kraken reference. No I'm confused again.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 01:58:12 PM

Never. They couldn't figure out a way to make it about the Old Gods, so Metzen can't script it.

http://wowpedia.org/Rift_of_Aln

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 02:03:41 PM

Metzen didn't write that.  awesome, for real

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 02:39:48 PM

Could it be for a book? Having an expansion about the abyssal maw or whatever seems to be retreading a lot of cataclysm territory.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 06:31:42 PM

I hope it's all underwater zones because everyone loved that underwater section of Cata. [/sarcasm]

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 06:34:35 PM

I thought they actually did a pretty good job with the underwater zones in Cata, and I'm not exactly WoW's biggest fan.

Over and out.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 06:43:31 PM

They were as good as underwater zones could be, still sucked and avoid on all alts.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:59 PM

I liked underwater land better than Hyjal.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 10:36:46 PM

It would be a fitting expantion name if they decided to do something with Azshara and her old god master and crew, since they are the only remaining "below" area unexplored in existing WoW lore (assuming you discount that the Nerubian Empire was rumored to have intended to be a full zone in northrend with a full out nerubian raid that supposedly got scrapped).

You cant count Deepholm, because the elemental planes are technically seperate places from Azeroth (when Deathwing Burst out of deepholm in Cata, he effectively created a rift between the two worlds rather then simply bursting up out of a really big underround cave).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:57 PM

Hopefully it's a Diablo 3 expansion that just adds a roguelike randomly generated dungeon (a bit like the first Diablo but more random) with the boss at the bottom  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:48 AM

The problem I had with underwater zone was the same problem I had with all the Cataclysm zones: they were too fucking long.

Deepholm sucked most imo. Not sure why, but I fucking loathed that place.

God Save the Horn Players
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 01:06:50 AM

Well fuck.

Diablo 3's next expansion is named "Reaper of Souls"?
Well we can definitely say the past few hours have been interesting. After uncovering the trademarking of The Dark Below yesterday, it looks like the teaser for the next Diablo 3 expansion just went live.

According to the official website "Reaper of Souls" is a trademark and linked to Diablo 3, with Gamescom coming up next week it wouldn't be surprising to see the expansion for Diablo 3 announced there.

More importantly, it rules out The Dark Below as the next Diablo 3 expansion and makes things a lot more interesting suddenly.

Thank god Wildstar and Hex are coming out.  I want off this Old God train.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 02:42:54 AM

The problem I had with underwater zone was the same problem I had with all the Cataclysm zones: they were too fucking long.

Deepholm sucked most imo. Not sure why, but I fucking loathed that place.
Wasnt there something that was posted back during a Cata Deconstruction roundtable where they essentially admitted that Vashjir was intended to be multiple zones, and they just ended up cramming it all into one superzone because they couldnt get the multizone flow right or something like that?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 05:55:52 AM

My guess is Blizzard intends to have us mop up all of the old gods, then have the titans or legion move in.

It'd make sense if offing all the old gods brought the titans back, because the game flat out tells you in WotLK in the Storm Peaks Yogg shit that the Titans could exterminate the Old Gods but because of either the Titan's methods or the Old Gods being so intwined with Azeroth it would kill the planet and ruin their experiment so they just put a cap on them and left.

We kill the old gods, discover that they are load-bearing bosses, and the Titans come back to reinitialize the world because we done broke it.

Fits with all of the lolore so far. The thing is though: aren't the Titans more powerful than the legion and Sargeras? I figured the Legion would be the big bad to end all big bads of the series.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 08:00:27 AM

I hope it's all underwater zones because everyone loved that underwater section of Cata. [/sarcasm]
Maybe they can outdo the underwater zones of DAoC!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 08:17:45 AM

Cata underwater was the best underwater zone I've ever dealt with.  No breathing bullshit after the first 20 mins AND no delay in travel.

I decided long ago folks hate underwater only because of three things.  The first two I listed and were taken care of, the 3rd is you need 3-d situational awareness so you don't swim up in to mobs.  You typically can't fix that outside of putting everything in a cavern, but even the Cata zone didn't really have that problem after the forest segment.  You just never really realized it.

Besides, they have to give you SOME reason to still have that Seahorse in your mounts.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:04 AM

I agree with Merusk.  I don't understand the Cata underwater hate...clearly they've not played underwater in other games  why so serious?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: The Dark Below  
Jump to: