Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 336233 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: May 13, 2013, 01:22:17 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:26:17 PM

Ooooo.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:26:46 PM

I'm actually pretty psyched about the show, it probably should just get it's own TV thread.

Also I hope that's Luke Cage and he's not just a cameo.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:22:40 PM

First guy looks like Luke Cage.  There is a second black dude flinging a guy over his head, doesn't look like the same actor.

Man, they could really do some cool shit with this show!

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:31:49 PM

I'm actually pretty psyched about the show, it probably should just get it's own TV thread.

Also I hope that's Luke Cage and he's not just a cameo.

I almost made a TV thread for it, but decided not to bother yet since a preview that short wasn't really going to generate much discussion. Maybe when the extended trailer unlocks.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:21 PM

Huh. That looks great. Kinda Heroes with a lower camera angle  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:36:59 PM

Full trailer now up. Scheduled for 8pm on Tuesdays this Fall.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:45:42 PM

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

For a trailer now?  That's annoying.

This the same thing?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:47:20 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:49:16 PM

Yeah it's the same.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:58:18 PM

I feel like Joss Whedon needs to shake up his style a little bit.  I can't watch anything he's written any more without being reminded every five seconds that I'm watching a Joss Whedon thing.  All the characters just sound like Joss Whedon.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:05:13 PM

They have some balls putting this up against NCIS.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:24:03 PM

They have some balls putting this up against NCIS.

It pretty much IS NCIS, except you know with superpowers.  I just hope to god they don't start trying to write NEW canon when it comes to villains and evil agencies...there's already plenty in the universe already.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 03:27:05 PM

Ooo, Ming Na is in this.  She rustles my jimmies.  Looks like a fun show.  Going against NCIS will require at least a cameo of Robert Downey Jr. to give it a chance though.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 03:28:18 PM

I feel like Joss Whedon needs to shake up his style a little bit.  I can't watch anything he's written any more without being reminded every five seconds that I'm watching a Joss Whedon thing.  

Forcefully reminded of this last time I watched Avengers, realising that the 'team fighting over sceptre' scene was exactly the same as 'Scooby Gang fighting over Magical Box' scene.

Ah well.  I can still enjoy it.  I thought Cabin was nicely different.

Kinda.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 03:59:07 PM

Great to see J August Richards is in it!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 05:42:33 PM

So some people are saying that it isn't Luke Cage but possibly Rage.  As that's him in the SHIELD Marvel logo.  I guess this makes more sense since Luke Cage is a more iconic character, and there has been rumblings about a Iron Fist/Heroes for Hire movie in recent years.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 05:48:17 PM

Except Heroes for Hire works awfully well with a SHIELD series--there's the official guys and then there's the contractors, and then there's the tension in-between.

Hell, maybe they'll actually bring Damage Control in at some point. Or the law firm from She-Hulk's old series that specialized in superhero law. A series that dealt with the real-world infrastructure of superhero shit would be so, just so, fucking awesome. The best ever.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:02 PM

They had me at "Welcome to Level 7."  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 07:13:59 PM

Marvel shut down the Luke Cage rumors.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 09:31:46 PM

Hmmm...Schild hasn't shown up to complain yet. He must be getting tired of Whedon-baiting.

This looks like great fun. Speaking of Joss being predictable, I saw a comment somewhere about Fitz and Simmons (I think?) saying they'll have great chemistry and lots of tension and then when things work out one of them will die or something since it's a Whedon show.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 04:17:00 AM

I really hope this show has SHIELD confronting minor villains and heroes from the Marvel universe who won't get their own TV show or movie.

Instead of some random dude getting super powers and SHIELD helping them get their life back.  YUCK.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 05:10:07 AM

I really hope this show has SHIELD confronting minor villains and heroes from the Marvel universe who won't get their own TV show or movie.

Instead of some random dude getting super powers and SHIELD helping them get their life back.  YUCK.

I have a terrible suspicion that this show isn't going to focus on anything canon at all and is simply going to introduce new heroes/villains, in which case it will suck mightily.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:13 AM

I could see them dealing with doofuses like the Trapster in various cold opens, that would be fun.

HYDRA, AIM, etc. also.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 07:50:31 AM

Even things like Hydra may be stepping on the captain america movie canon.

Mutants? Spiderman? Sony is still doing those movies and what about the fantastic four?

The only thing I can see is them doing a lot of stuff with the chitauri(sp) race from the avengers movie and then making up a shitton of villains just for this.  All in all it's got a bad vibe to it.  Too intrenched in canon to do anything BUT feature the marvel universe but the marvel universe is too split up between companies to touch any of it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 09:21:50 AM

I've just returned to comics, but wouldn't throwing a ton of C-list heroes and villains (with non-CGI powers for the most part) into a SHIELD-themed serial and chucking canon work pretty well with the whole Marvel NOW vibe? Focus on fun and interesting stuff without worrying too much about continuity other than fitting the 'event' of the moment?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:50 AM

Watched the 30 second trailer, but when it gets to "Coming from ABC" I just assume it will end poorly. I just have no trust in the broadcast networks whatsoever to produce anything that isn't dumbed down.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 09:56:55 AM

Watched the 30 second trailer, but when it gets to "Coming from ABC" I just assume it will end poorly. I just have no trust in the broadcast networks whatsoever to produce anything that isn't dumbed down.

I agree.  Revolution is a big hit and it is ridiculous.  I worry about the same treatment for this.

I have never played WoW.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 12:19:39 PM

Thing is sky, I don't think they will even go c-list for the most part. I see them making shit up wholesale.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 01:13:18 PM

Even things like Hydra may be stepping on the captain america movie canon.

Mutants? Spiderman? Sony is still doing those movies and what about the fantastic four?

The only thing I can see is them doing a lot of stuff with the chitauri(sp) race from the avengers movie and then making up a shitton of villains just for this.  All in all it's got a bad vibe to it.  Too intrenched in canon to do anything BUT feature the marvel universe but the marvel universe is too split up between companies to touch any of it.

If I'm not mistaken, the TV rights are all with Marvel and aren't split up like the movie rights are.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 01:40:09 PM

To be brutal, I'm more worried that they've cast a dead bloke.  I see that causing issues.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 01:42:32 PM

Thing is sky, I don't think they will even go c-list for the most part. I see them making shit up wholesale.
I agree. I'm just saying it doesn't have to fail from Marvel's end.

And yeah...casting is a bitch. I started to watch the Amazon pilot for a Zombieland series by the guys who did the movie...but Tallahassee was so horribly miscast I didn't last five minutes. Should've used new characters.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 02:21:21 PM

As long as the writing is good, I'm not sure why that would be an issue. When you think about it, is there really any value to using established c-list characters like Stilt-Man, Slyde, the Prowler, or the Desert Dwellers? Hell, every Iron Man villain has already been a pretty large departure from their comic book counterpart.  Sure in an ideal world I'd love to see them take the opportunity to say, maybe throw some of the eventual Thunderbolts (Beetle, Screaming Mimi, and Goliath in particular) in the show as bad guys, but due to budgetary reasons and various characters being considered for their own movies, many of the better MU characters you just aren't going show up here.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 03:26:14 PM

Comics themselves suffer from terrible continuity bloat and making up a whole new slew of characters for the tv show would be more of the same and just as detrimental to the franchises. I mean the movies are already going with guardians of the galaxy...seriously...

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

I really don't see them creating many new characters.  If anything I bet they just give some makeovers to older Marvel heroes and villains.  I mean what's the point of making a Marvel TV show if all your characters are going to be new?  SHIELD could run for 10 seasons and still not run out of Marvel characters.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 04:03:12 PM

Possibly, but characters with ANY potential for a movie or their own show aren't going to be showcased here so they can have origin stories and all that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  
Jump to: