Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Man 3  (Read 47663 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: May 11, 2013, 03:01:31 PM

Why would he ?

It gives him an excuse to wear the reactor.  That gives him an excuse to wear the Suit.

That's why he had it removed at the end of 3.  We're supposed to think he's grown up.

(Blatant Rationalisation Brought to You by Ironwood Inc, Responsible for Irrational Rationalisations since 1974.  If you have a friend who you feel could benefit from a rationalisation, please call this Number :  0845 IRNMN3SHITE)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #176 on: May 11, 2013, 03:54:30 PM

It gives him an excuse to wear the reactor.  That gives him an excuse to wear the Suit.

He's clearly shown he never needed an excuse to do anything so again, why not get the shrapnel removed? I didn't buy the "grown up" thing at the end of 3 at all. We all know it wouldn't stick because that's not who this character is. He only grows up in the sense that he accepts responsibility for the things he's created and tries to use those things for good.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: May 11, 2013, 03:56:47 PM

I think you missed the bit in the brackets.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: May 11, 2013, 05:33:24 PM

I'm ok with a suspension of disbelief, but a movie such as this has to play within it's own pre-established rules, and this one did not.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: May 11, 2013, 06:42:32 PM

Well, by mid-way through 2 it's more of "a Suit", and by the end it's established even having a person inside isn't a requirement.

But yea, rationalizing this is headache inducing. Mostly because we're not rationalizing Tony Stark and Iron Man. We're instead finding logic chains between three movies written by different groups for similar business goals but against different managers who have evolving requirements to achieve specific numbers. Which happen to include a character named Tony Stark.

I'd actually love to just talk about the story and protagonist, be to this thread what Nayr is to Mass Effect. But I can't get past the business of how this stuff is made and how that business can affect it.

tl;dr: midiclorians.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: May 12, 2013, 12:38:23 AM

He's clearly shown he never needed an excuse to do anything so again, why not get the shrapnel removed? I didn't buy the "grown up" thing at the end of 3 at all. We all know it wouldn't stick because that's not who this character is. He only grows up in the sense that he accepts responsibility for the things he's created and tries to use those things for good.
Not only this, but the end of the movie gives the IM Movie Franchise Team a pretty much perfect setup to drag tony BACK into the suit he claims to have given up:  Armor Wars.   All it will take is someone stealing the tech for the Warmachine suit from the Feds (and hell, at least 2 badguys / villian groups have had their way with it by now) and using it to kill people, and voila, Tony now gets to design the Mark 43 and go tech smashing.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: May 12, 2013, 07:20:49 AM

CBG19 didn't like it much. She makes some good points and completely misses the mark on some things, and seems to fundamentally hate Harly, which I think she's utterly off her head on as the interactions between him and Tony provided some of the best lines in the film. Especially when we see that Tony doens't automatically patronize him* - he pretty much treats the kid like he'd treat an adult, which is awesome.

*well, patronize him for being a child. Tony is pretty much on auto-patronize for most of the world.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: May 12, 2013, 07:39:58 AM

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 12, 2013, 02:25:20 PM

Then he's tied to a bed wearing fuck all 850 miles from the suit and it all works just like in his office.  Get the Fuck Outta Here.  Really, really, really fucking stupid.  Also, this suit breaks by the lightest touch when he's not in it, which suggests it's his human body that keeps it together.  What the fuck is that all about ?

1) I always assume Jarvis does all the heavy lifting so to speak when things like this come up.  Jarvis gets Stark's signal and performs the actual flying all the pieces 850 miles part.

2) I assume the suits break apart on some impacts when there's no one inside them so they'll take less damage from the impact.  Obviously they can't do what with someone inside.

The only two things that bothered me was needing to recharge the suit with a battery (why was his arc reactor thing suddenly not able to charge the suit?) and where exactly is Jarvis's A.I. program running?

Over and out.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: May 12, 2013, 05:55:07 PM

You could almost come to the conclusion that Jarvis is an exotic emergent AI that requires Stark's suit AND whatever he's got buried underneath his house to really function at full efficiency AND the fat pipeline of the suit to talk to him in real time. I don't see why that's totally out of line with what we see in the flicks.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 13, 2013, 01:27:52 AM

ARG.  STOP IT.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 13, 2013, 02:05:27 AM

The Jarvis thing would have slid right by me if not for the car battery scene and the power-runs-out-in-the-snow scene.

Tony Stark looking for a power source is like watching spiderman trying to find a step ladder.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: May 13, 2013, 02:08:17 AM

Damn you, I'm already at two Signatures.  So gooood tho.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49:04 AM

The only way that J.A.R.V.I.S. isn't coming back is if Paul Bettany doesn't think it's worth his time anymore, and even then he'll just have a new voice.  I mean if Stark is sentimental enough to fish his robotic arms out of the wreckage, thinking that he destroyed J.A.R.V.I.S. without a way to get him back is dumb.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: May 13, 2013, 02:52:37 AM

Who said Jarvis wasn't coming back ?

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #190 on: May 13, 2013, 02:59:36 AM

Thought this was ok but they can't really go back to Ironman after this, he's Ironmen now, whenever he get hit in a fight people will expect him to just step into a new suit.  Bit of a silly corner to write yourself into really.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: May 13, 2013, 07:57:36 AM

I've maintained the opinion he should have always been 'IronMen'. Even if it isn't all super remote control powers or whatever, why isn't he making suits for like SHIELD, or even his other non-superpower avenger buddies? Maybe make sexy redhead and archerman more useful when the aliens invade again.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: May 13, 2013, 08:00:01 AM

Worked for Spiderman.  Oh wait.  It didn't.

why so serious?

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:31 AM

I've maintained the opinion he should have always been 'IronMen'. Even if it isn't all super remote control powers or whatever, why isn't he making suits for like SHIELD, or even his other non-superpower avenger buddies? Maybe make sexy redhead and archerman more useful when the aliens invade again.  why so serious?
Again, it all comes down to the reason they did Armor Wars in the comics.  Tony simply does not trust other people with his suit tech.  Pretty much the ONLY person he ever allowed to have their own suit for an extended amount of time was Warmachine, and only because Rhodes was his bestest bestest friend in the whole wide world.  The instant the potential for someone to harm an innocent with his tech arrives, he goes completely off the deep end trying to make sure all of that tech is taken out of public circulation (right up to the point of personally attacking other super heroes who were using variations on his tech and takeing their shit away).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #194 on: May 13, 2013, 08:18:06 AM

I've maintained the opinion he should have always been 'IronMen'. Even if it isn't all super remote control powers or whatever, why isn't he making suits for like SHIELD, or even his other non-superpower avenger buddies? Maybe make sexy redhead and archerman more useful when the aliens invade again.  why so serious?

I don't mind that, but him switching suits several times lessens the whole guy in an iron suit thing.  I dunno I haven't read the comics maybe they do that crap there too.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #195 on: May 13, 2013, 08:42:26 AM

I don't mind that, but him switching suits several times lessens the whole guy in an iron suit thing.  I dunno I haven't read the comics maybe they do that crap there too.

Yeah, I thought it kinda drained the tension out of that whole fight.  The fight in the first movie where you saw his suit taking a beating actually had drama and tension where it was like oh shit, that suit's pretty awesome, but how much more punishment can it take?  In this movie it's like oh, another suit fell to pieces instantly, but one of the twenty others will pop in now so it's cool.

Even the self-deploying suit tech kinda lessens the impact IMO.  I really liked the feeling in the first movie of how Tony getting suited up was like a knight putting on his armor, and once he had that thing on you knew shit was getting real.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: May 13, 2013, 08:46:24 AM

He pretty much did not trust what shield would do with them. That is why he only made them for himself and his friend warmachine. He knew Rhodes very well and trusted him completely so made a suit for him and only him.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #197 on: May 13, 2013, 08:56:42 AM

I've maintained the opinion he should have always been 'IronMen'. Even if it isn't all super remote control powers or whatever, why isn't he making suits for like SHIELD, or even his other non-superpower avenger buddies? Maybe make sexy redhead and archerman more useful when the aliens invade again.  why so serious?

I don't mind that, but him switching suits several times lessens the whole guy in an iron suit thing.  I dunno I haven't read the comics maybe they do that crap there too.

Yes, him being in one suit while others are remotely controlled has been in the comics for at least a decade if not more. Really, the idea of one man in Iron Man suit died sometime in the 90's.

EDIT: Also, wasn't the plot of the entire 2nd movie about how he didn't and shouldn't trust anyone else with his tech? War Machine still existed because he couldn't exactly take it back from the US Government.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: May 13, 2013, 09:15:56 AM

Not to mention a great deal of the plot in the avengers, and whole point of him shutting down the Stark arms business in the first film.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: May 13, 2013, 12:41:37 PM

Who said Jarvis wasn't coming back ?

Ugh, too many forums I think I am mixing up different threads.  lol
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #200 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:06 PM

Just got back from watching. I thought it was fine Summer fun.

The things some you guys are complaining about the Mk 42 seemed fine to me. The pieces all had repulsors in them. That was established in the very first test we saw. Flying the pieces from Chattanooga to Miami of course seems like a stretch but if you are willing to accept repulsor technology in the first place it's not that much of one. The Mk 42 is also designed to be operated without Tony inside (shown multiple times in the movie). That means it needs to have power sources within the pieces independent of his chest arc reactor. Why he didn't just like sleep in his suit to recharge it while in TN is not clear (maybe he was too busy working and didn't sleep like was established at the beginning of the movie) but I don't have any issue with the suit also requiring some other energy source to charge it back up.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #201 on: May 19, 2013, 08:18:30 PM

And you guys were so busy sperging about the impossibility of charging the suit off the car battery you completely missed the thematic point it was trying to make (clumsily): Tony started this whole journey to becoming Iron Man hooked up to a car battery, stuck a nuclear reactor in his chest to replace it, and then wound up hooked up to a car battery anyway.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #202 on: May 19, 2013, 08:31:46 PM

And then tossed the arc reactor into the ocean at the end.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: May 19, 2013, 08:57:44 PM

If Stark gave a damn about his suit tech you would not have seen that grand finale.  You know what I thought when I saw that?

What an asshole. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #204 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:34 PM

Tony Stark IS an asshole. He just happens to be a brilliant, rich and handsome one.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:42 AM

And you guys were so busy sperging about the impossibility of charging the suit off the car battery you completely missed the thematic point it was trying to make (clumsily): Tony started this whole journey to becoming Iron Man hooked up to a car battery, stuck a nuclear reactor in his chest to replace it, and then wound up hooked up to a car battery anyway.

--Dave

This would be a good point if he didn't have the nuclear reactor you mention still strapped to his chest at the time.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 20, 2013, 01:50:14 AM

--Dave

Yeah.  That was the point it was trying to make.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: May 28, 2013, 04:00:19 AM

The problem isn't that comic books are unrealistic.  awesome, for real The problem is when writers use the "Wizard did it" excuse to toss in any old harebrained idea.
The first IM movie spent some time and effort to get us to buy into the idea that the armor was plausible. Even if it isn't.
Then, the unfortunate next step, unless they're very careful, is to extapolate and have nanotech armor that contains a VI copy of Tony Stark's mind, that can fly faster than light and eat asteroids and make copies of itself and soon there's zillions of Iron Manses flying around the galaxy gaining sentience and learning to cast magic spells and summoning demons and demon powered space armor that's possessed by the ghost of Elvis and shoots guitars at bad guys.

And then comes the reboot because the next writer takes a look at this shit and goes  ACK! swamp poop and wants to tell a fucking Iron Man story where Tony Stark wears Iron Man armor and punches bad guys again.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:03:12 AM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: May 28, 2013, 04:07:21 AM

Well yeah.  But we've all said that.  At Length.

The argument comes when people who don't mind that say 'So Fucking What?'

Which is where I like to bow out.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #209 on: May 28, 2013, 07:00:55 AM

At least they didn't follow the Extremis comic book plot line and only borrowed some elements from it. That would've required a movie reboot if they did that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 3  
Jump to: