Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: What's next for F13 Bloodbowl? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's next for F13 Bloodbowl?  (Read 17778 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

on: December 25, 2012, 05:34:49 AM

The end of Season 6 has just wrapped up and I think it's maybe time to take a look at what we want to do for the future. Here are some questions that I'd like people to consider:

Are you up for a season 7?
Would you want future leagues to use the Chaos Edition rather than the LE (I'm assuming most of us already have CE anyway).
We didn't get 32 players last season and this caused some organisational headaches. Would you like to see us recruit players from other venues (such as Qt3 or Brokenforum) who might not be f13ers and might not want to participate in the forums otherwise?
What do you want to do regarding new teams, TV limits etc?

I'm absolutely not looking to start up a new league right away but I'd like to get opinions on what rules we should be using and whether the kind of leagues we ran before are still viable.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:56:59 AM

- I would be up for a season 7.  My Norse team just finished cutting it's teeth at the end of season 6, and never got to curb-stomp faces in the Failoffs.

- Since CE is reverse compatible with LE, I don't see why not.  More variety = good thing, IMO.

- I think branching out to other niche forums is a great idea, and the two you mentioned seem like-minded to us.  We also have the possibility of advertising applicants through our Steam Community group, if we really didn't care that much about just how cynically-minded the person is  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

- For the rules, I think the current iteration works.  Maybe if we get a really active season 7 from branching out and have some more participation we may need to revisit them, but I'm cool with what we've got for now.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:34:02 PM

Definitely up for s7.

Adding extra people via another forum sounds good.

Current rules are fine. Relaxing the TV limit also fine.

Not planning to run a d&m or similar right now unless people shout that they want it. Seems like the break is doing good. Do plan to shout at the masters people to finish that off.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 12:44:36 PM

I am all over a season 7.  Even if the numbers are reduced, we're a great community, and there is absolutely no reason to stop.  Hell, season 1 only had around 12 or 14, I think.  I'm fine with a smaller group to destroy.

I'm all for advertising the league to bring in new people.  I also think the TV limit should be done away with.  We should also use the Chaos edition.  There is no reason not to.

We should be more strict on games not being played to keep things moving along though.  I also think that championship teams should be required to retire.

Can't wait for season 7.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:02:26 PM

One s6 innovation I think we should repeat is running the groups independent of the playoffs so we can accept any even number of players.

Qualification round is all well and good - but not as good as letting everyone play. If the groups have to be different sizes or playoffs need to be constructed separately in order to fit in all applicants then I give no fucks.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 08:41:25 PM

I'm chomping at the bit for the next season.

More people is better just not sure about forum logistics... but more blood bowlll

More strictness around game deadlines is good

No more TV limit's cool

Definitely Chaos Edition since it's backward compatible
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 10:53:33 PM

I'm all for season 7 if someone will do the organizing (and keeping people within the time limit within which to get the games played)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 11:34:34 PM

I'm up for s7.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 12:44:23 AM

Count me in. I'm already looking forward to making a new team again, getting smashed again, and vowing never to stray from my lizards again, again.

No real preference on group size. A quiet mention on other fora couldn't hurt but I'd be cool with keeping it to just us as well.

I'm all for tight restrictions on feeder promotions, but that's because I almost never play feeder league games. I'd rather not have to grind out purples in battlegrounds before being competitive against the catasses in arenas.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 03:39:47 AM

Definitely in for next season. As far as the other changes go, the only one I'm truly unsure about, is the dropping of TV caps for Feeder League teams. It could lead to some, abuse, to be honest. Now I don't think that there would be a great deal of that sort of thing with our player base, but it does make me hesitate. There might be some sense in looking at Spiralling Expenses however, if enough people feel that high TV teams are an issue.

If we want to bring in other forums/communities into our league, I think that it would be fine, but we just have to be careful not to over-rely on outside players to make up the numbers. Partly I feel, this is because BB is an unforgiving game, and from what I've seen of some of the other forum leagues, well, to put it politely, I suspect that there may be a lot of tears if they end up being exposed to (just as an example purely) an equivalent of Ruvaldt's Chaos team. We can keep in mind that we don't absolutely have to go for 32 players again, and that we can do with lower numbers, should the case be such.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 02:24:56 PM

I'm game with all of that.

One caveat, which I found out the hard way running a league recently: not only do you need an even number of teams overall, but you need an even number of teams in each division. I can't remember if that was known or not, but we have 14 teams in two leagues of 7 and it is FUCKED. Everyone has a bye week, of course, but there are several people who play each other twice but other division members not at all. No bueno.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 02:42:53 PM

I won't be able to do it again. Partly it's because my schedule won't allow it in the winter and tax season. The other part is that things simply drug on far too long this time. One issue that we can't seem to resolve is that we're an incredibly international bunch, and while that's not a problem in the traditional sense, it did make scheduling a problem for many of my games.

I will say that I did get what I hoped to get out of it, a win, and a trip to the playoffs. It was fun.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 02:45:19 PM

Going with what Megrim said: I'm happier with fewer numbers if it means less drama from non-f13 people. I would be happy with an 8 or 12 person league really - I don't care overly how big it is.

I do hope we can get back to Falc like "9 days or it's a forfeit" scheduling, things dragging out can really kill momentum and enthusiasm.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 07:52:18 AM

7 day schedule!  It's certain to cause problems, but it would be consistent and keep things moving.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:24:01 AM

If anything I'd bump it to 10 or 11 days but make it stricter.

I guarantee I and others will go away somewhere and be inaccessible for over a week at some point. Only missing 1 game falls under 'shit happens' wheras having people who will unavoidably miss multiple games will encourage leniency.

Celer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 11:09:18 AM

I sat out S6 but I hope to return in S7, with a new chaos-y team (unless my superelf is still alive, I have forgotten).

I think a strict 8-days seems about right.  A full week plus a day of slop for administrative tasks.  Too long and you start to forget there's a season going on, and constantly slipping the days makes it hard to schedule the next week's games.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 01:55:46 PM

I would shoot for 10 or 11.  We have a pretty international crowd here and seven to nine days could make those games harder to get done.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 05:52:37 PM

I would shoot for 10 or 11.  We have a pretty international crowd here and seven to nine days could make those games harder to get done.

I'm obviously one of the beneficiaries of that but 9 days worked pretty well before as well
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 11:03:45 PM

I like 8-9. 10-11 just encourages our slowpokes.

If we combine with BF the biggest hurdle will be getting them on the same page re: a wide range of TVs in the league. They seem really concerned about having a wide difference in their own leagues.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 03:29:06 AM

Am in for season 7 and as has been said multiple times think we just need to get back to the strict deadlines and things will work out fine from there as I think the playoffs took almost as long as the regular season to get done and the less said about the fail offs this year the better. I don't mind if we have people from outside the f13 community joining in as long as they realise it is played by our rules and time schedules. I also now no longer see the point of limiting TV from feeder league teams, I'd rather face stronger starting teams and less inducement randomness tbh since I will be playing my Lizards for their 4th outing.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 04:38:14 AM

Suspect I'll get shouted down, but I don't even have a problem with pairings who worked out by day 2 of a fixture cycle that the first slot they can both play is day 11 of 9 at 1900 GMT or whatever. What we need zero tolerance on is nothing happening till day nine then a week of 'I'll look out for you on steam'.

So long as people arrange actual times I'm good.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 07:50:56 AM

My thoughts exactly.  The important thing is that a definite time has been arranged.  I'll wait a little longer as long as there is a plan.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 12:04:05 PM

Yeah, I think 9 was fine with 1-2 day extensions if and only if the coaches confirm that a specific game time has been scheduled.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35:24 PM

Playing nurgle for season 7.  There, now we have a signup thread!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 09:13:43 AM

I'm happy to play again.  However, I will be moving to Poland around mid January, and then it might be awhile before I'm able to get internet setup at home.  So starting anytime before the end of January probably wont work out so great for me.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:37 AM

I'd be up for season 7, but I do have an issue with too tight a restriction of number of days for each game day. With all the varying international time zones we have, often weekends are the ONLY time I can get a game in with non-US players (especially those down under). As it stands, my weekends are split between my wife and my writing with football on Sundays. It's easier when the NFL isn't in season because Sundays are then mostly open, but if I have to play someone 14 hours ahead of me? I can't do that during the week.

I would say that we definitely need to set a time limit on game days that is hard, and those who don't schedule the games within like a 3-day grace period get forfeited. I just want the window to be wider than 10 days.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 10:31:49 AM

A couple of things.

Firstly as far as I'm concerned this is still Falc's gig and if he wants to step back in to take charge for S7 then that's his right. He's been pretty quiet recently for various reasons so I'm pre-empting him a little here but I'm not trying to steal his thunder.

Secondly if I do take the reigns again for S7 then we definitely won't kick off until we're well into the new year. I'm thinking mid February or so to give people time to get enthused again and for us to maybe recruit some new blood.

The points about deadlines are well made. I was far too lax in S6 but I'm conscious that some people do have legitimate scheduling issues and I generally come down on the side of not being a dick just for the sake of it. There will be less latitude given in S7 though. If games aren't at least scheduled by the deadline then they will be forfeited.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 09:56:34 PM

i'm down for another season.  CE for sure, and i'd be happy with whatever team arrangement feels the healthiest to the organizers.

i've been considering swapping out my trusty lizards for a couple seasons but given how entrenched some of the bigger TV teams are i feel anxious stepping in again from square one, handicaps notwithstanding --  my gaming time is a little constrained of late so i'm not certain i'd be able to put a team through its initial workouts in the feeder league to get things up to a competitive level. i'd prefer some way of gently easing some of the mega teams out to pasture but i can understand wanting to preserve monsters like ruvaldt's team if you're coaching them.  just scary for poor baby drogg's prospective new teams  cry
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 02:20:31 PM

You should definitely play your lizards, Drogg.  I'd say you're one of the top three contenders to go all the way if you played them another season.  They're seriously scary in a way similar to my Presidents.

Championship teams should be forced to retire; that would fix some of that problem you mentioned.  It did this season with Andydavo's insanely good dark elves absent.  The Presidents won't be in next season as I'm choosing to abide by that sentiment voluntarily.  Instead you'll get to contend with their wives, The First Ladies.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 07:48:35 PM

Not really getting much games with my elves on Feeder league.
I've been trying out new teams n stuff, doubtful I'd end up with a 1200 TV even.
We'll see. I foresee great fails for the High Elves played like Dark Elves.

I'm kinda divided between playing feeder and non-feeder with my casual friends. If the latter team is allowed to join, I might just slot in my TV 1350 Humans on next season. If not, I'll just throw in the High Elves to the slaughter.
And fuck Pro-Elves. AV7 is a joke.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 02:04:30 AM

Not really getting much games with my elves on Feeder league.
I've been trying out new teams n stuff, doubtful I'd end up with a 1200 TV even.
We'll see. I foresee great fails for the High Elves played like Dark Elves.

I'm kinda divided between playing feeder and non-feeder with my casual friends. If the latter team is allowed to join, I might just slot in my TV 1350 Humans on next season. If not, I'll just throw in the High Elves to the slaughter.
And fuck Pro-Elves. AV7 is a joke.

Feel free to hit me for feeder games whenever i'm on steam.
Fresh team into the season can be brutal especially if you go against a high-value bash team right at the start (my fresh TV1000 skaven team in season 6 taught me the error of my ways)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 07:34:32 AM

yea i was teaching my newbie friends how to play, so they end up taking a looong time per turn. it ate my BB time.
we started at 10 pm and finished at 11.30  why so serious?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 11:28:57 AM

You should definitely play your lizards, Drogg.  I'd say you're one of the top three contenders to go all the way if you played them another season.  They're seriously scary in a way similar to my Presidents.

Championship teams should be forced to retire; that would fix some of that problem you mentioned.  It did this season with Andydavo's insanely good dark elves absent.  The Presidents won't be in next season as I'm choosing to abide by that sentiment voluntarily.  Instead you'll get to contend with their wives, The First Ladies.

Now you've got me waffling about putting the dwarves on ice.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 01:53:22 PM

The Mutiny is willing to make its glorious return, unless I suddenly have an urge to get my ass beat as The Fantasticks.

God Save the Horn Players
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 07:06:00 PM

I'm definitely playing Chaos Dwarves
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: What's next for F13 Bloodbowl?  
Jump to: