Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 89746 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 10:52:58 AM

Happy that the collectables are shared.  Unless effort to pass mats between chars. I would pay to increase the limit too.

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 11:23:16 AM

Just sell your excess on the trading post. There really isn't any good reason to be sitting on more than 250 iron bars or whatever anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:56 AM

Just sell your excess on the trading post. There really isn't any good reason to be sitting on more than 250 iron bars or whatever anyway.

That assumes that you're among the 25% that can access the trading post.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 11:26:37 AM

I'm assuming that the trading post issues are temporary and we're discussing the long term here.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 11:29:20 AM

I'm assuming that the trading post issues are temporary and we're discussing the long term here.

I know... I was being snarky.  I'm at work.  Snark is all I have.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 06:37:09 PM

Filling up a collectible is a good indicator that it's time to go make stuff. It's solid XP and reasonably fun for a crafting system. The cooking combinations are just blowing my mind and there is an odd pleasure in finding a new recipe, getting a massive chunk of XP and wondering how many more are hiding out there. Which apparently, given the system they've designed, is lots.

Feeding a craft skill is another reason to go zone wandering. I'm pretty aggressive at harvesting and salvaging and one session at working armorsmith pretty much chewed up a huge chunk of the metal, cloth and stat items all my characters had collected. They need a heap of raw material.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 10:41:00 PM

I have a couple of toons, each with two craft skills at ~100.  The raw materials from nodes (ore/wood/food) don't seem to be a bottleneck at all.  The issue is the blue drops needed.  Keeping yourself in current level gear seems to require finding and then grinding mobs that drop what you need.  Hoping this eases up later but I doubt it.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 11:08:48 PM

Cloth and Leather wind up being pretty bad bottlenecks imo. But usually the blue mats are the problem, especially if you have two crafts that use the same set.

My mesmer is still farming linen however, trying to catch my tailoring up to being able to make things I could remotely use.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 12:22:05 AM

Yeah, by stat items I meant those blue drops. I thought I had a lot but in a good crafting session I put quite a dent into it. And yeah, it was pretty much the cloth drops I ran out of first. And this is doing armourer, I can only imagine how many more I'll need to advance tailoring.

- Simond
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 06:11:31 AM

I stopped tailoring pretty early, not because of the Jute/wool/cotton (I get a ton of those through normal play without farming and am always mailing off stacks of 100 to guildmates) but the fine crafting materials are what got me.  I needed those for artificing so it was impossible to do multiple crafting careers that both need FCM, at least if they are kept at the same tier.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:53 AM

Yeah, the "tiny" materials were a huge huge cockblock when trying to raise weaponsmithing, i had to spend one entire days worth of playtime just farming them.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 10:06:10 AM

I see a vast swath of trees to chop down but hardly any food plants. Even mines do not seem as plentiful as all the fucking trees. I wish we could use some of this wood to build campfires for a buff.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 10:33:40 AM

My god they need to make it easier to at least do the basic leveling without rare mats. I did find that doing discoveries gives a ton of crafting XP, but that still requires rare mats.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 10:47:26 AM

Just chiming in with the love of the crafting system, but hatred for the rare blue ingredients.  I'm bottlenecked as well.  They need to increase the drop rates.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:09 AM

The need to make it possible to skill up through making crap items that don't require a rare mat. We should be able to make white quality weapons/armor then have the blue items require the rare mats.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 01:13:26 PM

For jewelcrafting at least, the Black Lion Salvage kit has been a lifesaver for rare materials.  Got one of those in a Black Lion Chest and it's allowed me to 100% reclaim the jewels in my jewelry so I can, for example, use the same jewel to make a ring, an earring, a necklace, etc, to maximize xp via maximum discovery.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 01:43:19 PM

My god they need to make it easier to at least do the basic leveling without rare mats. I did find that doing discoveries gives a ton of crafting XP, but that still requires rare mats.

The problem is the salvage kits are bugged.  If you look at the better ones they give a % chance of giving rare mats and a different % for recovering upgrades.   Right now they NEVER give rare mats.

Would be nice if everyone would /bug this.  At least they can fix it easier than the trading post.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:46:18 PM by Amaron »
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 02, 2012, 02:19:39 PM

I think it worked that way through all the betas as well.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 02, 2012, 05:31:02 PM

The need to make it possible to skill up through making crap items that don't require a rare mat. We should be able to make white quality weapons/armor then have the blue items require the rare mats.

Possibly... I think they've balanced crafting intentionally to encourage doing other zones and continuing to wander round lower level zones even after you've completed them.

Crafting progression is always going to block on some ingredient.

- Simond
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 02, 2012, 05:55:04 PM

The problem with that is, when you are above level 20, you start getting less and less things that break into jute and rugged leather as the armor drops scale to your level.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 04:59:04 AM

This games crafting as it is now is shit. It's endgame crafting only, meaning you will always be out leveling what you can make so until you're max level you will hardly use your profession

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 05:10:24 AM

I like the crafting. They made it so everyone is encouraged to gather all materials, and since there are no iventory or bank limitaions on those even more so. Eventually, selling them on the Tradepost or sharing them with your guildees creates a huge availability of materials for crafters, as opposed to other games where by limiting the gathering options in many ways it was harder to get the stuff.

Sure, this only shows when

a) the Tradepost works
b) you are in a guild

The lone crafter is gonna hate the system, while the social crafter will have a reasobaly easy time with all professions. Ie: trade deals with random players, you bring me all the mats of this kind you find, I'll craft you stuff for free until the end of days. Lots of win/win for crafters and non-crafters in this game through the actual gathering system in this game.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 05:27:38 AM

I've been able to make stuff that I can use with jewelcrafting pretty consistently.  I currently am level20 and wearing level20 gear I crafted and have some level25 stuff I've crafted stashed away for when I hit 25.  I haven't been able to keep cloth or leathercrafting up to speed as easily so far.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 06:01:26 AM

Are guys leveling through discovery ONLY? Because that's what it's designed to do. If you're doing anything other than discovery, you're doing it wrong and are going to take forever. Grinding a known recipe is not efficient.

The real bottleneck is the TP. It was up all last night, if not perfectly functional, so that's a good sign. The TP is not optional in this game, either for crafting or for mats.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 07:10:03 AM

I'd say 70+% of my jewelcrafting XP (over level 100 now) comes from discovery, which feels pretty good.

I feel like I'm stuck in a rut with clothcrafting.  I can make, say, Mighty Gloves, but trying to swap in different rare components doesn't yield different kinds of things the way swapping in different gems does in jewelcrafting. 
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 03, 2012, 07:28:57 AM

I've been avoiding tailoring like the plague. There's just too much of a production bottleneck at the raw material level. No cloth nodes means more mob farming or TP hunting. Until they alleviate that, I'm not touching it.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 03, 2012, 07:34:32 AM

I'm a masochist and have been leveling artificer + tailoring at the same time. Artificer is around 270ish now and I can make stuff for my level / use raw materials I find in normal zones, so that's good. As for tailoring... I ended up doing three extra 1-15 zones to 100% (asura-sylvari-human-norn)* to barely get enough jute and those little blue drops to get me to wool range. Now I'm not hurting for cloth anymore, but I'd have to go back to level 20-30ish zones for the second tier of blue drops... ugh. The TP really needs to work. If they can't do it due to scalability concerns, just bring back the simple/dumb GW1 trading post, demmit!

* In my defense, I was planning to get as close to 100% world completion as possible on my first char, so may as well do it while it's (sorta) useful.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:41:32 AM by Zetor »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 03, 2012, 07:48:09 AM

Guildmate who's smart about such things brought up the autofill options with their search drop down. So if you type in "si" looking for silver ore, it brings up *every single item* beginning with si. In HTML. Multiply by 100k, at least. That shit has to go.

The TP really is the missing link here. In closed beta, the answer to any question about not having enough money/crafting materials was "use the trading post". It's completely not optional. It's really well designed from a usability standpoint for that reason; they want you to have a bag of stuff and just sell it on the go. No muss, no fuss. Unfortunately, it doesn't work (it was actually working fairly well yesterday, just not showing UI completion of transactions, even though they were complete).

It looks like they'll have it up enough to make it usable this week, so that's good. I'll be interested in how crafting feels to people once it's up.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:12 AM

Yeah, lack of trade is brutal.  In any other game I'd sell materials from crafts I was not interested in to help purchase extra stuff I need in areas I am interested.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #64 on: September 03, 2012, 08:13:53 AM

Tradepost was up for a few hours last night in Europe. Long enough for me to buy a dozen of new dyes  awesome, for real

I must say, when the "Auction House" works, it's amazingly powerful. I love it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #65 on: September 03, 2012, 09:04:20 AM

I feel like I'm stuck in a rut with clothcrafting.  I can make, say, Mighty Gloves, but trying to swap in different rare components doesn't yield different kinds of things the way swapping in different gems does in jewelcrafting. 
Use the insignias or whatever. Make an insignia and the two components to a piece, like chest padding and chest dainty whateverthefuck. Then put those three into discovery, blam discovery exp.

I blew through a bunch of levels just making a heal armor set for my norn, because I had the mats for the healing insignia thingy.

Since you get 3 sets of insignia per bracket, at least one or two of the blue will be from mobs you;ve been plowing through. You should also be getting a small but steady boost from consumabes (sharpening stones or whatever for armorers). Don't forget the special bags, too.
Raknor
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 03, 2012, 09:08:20 AM

For those of you crafting.. I'm not seeing the point of it currently other than XP.  

For the last two days I've spent a lot of time farming Jute and working on skilling up my armor crafting. I finally get to where I can make level appropriate stuff and I run out of the little blue matts (fangs and blood).  

I decided to check the TP to see if it was still down and to my surprise it was up.  I bought (for around 12 silver) an entire new set of gear since mine was 10-15 levels behind. That included all armor slots, weapon, and accessories.  Then I spent another few silver buying the upgrade things just to have fun. Some of them have some fun 2 or 3 set bonuses.

I'm starting to get the Diablo 3 feeling.  Items so cheap on the AH its easier to just buy them.  Most items were right around 1 silver and at level 36 every heart I do gets me 1 silver 40 copper in the mail.

I do enjoy crafting don't get me wrong. The discovery stuff is pretty fun as along as you don't look up all the recipes on the web.

So is there some end game reason to do crafting that I seem to be missing?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 03, 2012, 09:18:44 AM

Legendary weapons.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 03, 2012, 11:57:03 AM

Now that I grinded past my bottleneck, I'm making daggers at the same level as my hero.  Very happy about that.  Discovery is awesome but the blue mats aren't.  I do wish there was a larger variety of crafting items but I can live with it.  It does pay to plan out your crafting, I made like 60 shield bosses and 42 of them are still clogging my bank.

The AH being down sucks, I've been disenchanting blue and green items but whatever.  With everyone crafting, I'd say the prices will stay very low.  Expect raw mat prices to be high, especially the blue components.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:08 AM

Use the insignias or whatever. Make an insignia and the two components to a piece, like chest padding and chest dainty whateverthefuck. Then put those three into discovery, blam discovery exp.

Thanks!  For some reason I was thinking they were only standalone upgrades, not intermediate ingredients.  This got me moving again.  Still short on jute.  Time to kill more bandits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting  
Jump to: