Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:15:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 92665 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #70 on: September 03, 2012, 12:15:14 PM

If discovery gets you hot and bothered, cooking is the best craft for that. As far as I can tell, there's about a billion different recipes.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 03, 2012, 04:48:05 PM

Cooking blows my mind... The discovery portion doesn't seem to have the same regularity as the other crafts and the intermediate products clog my bank.

Nice buffs though once I started eating the output. +10 xp per kill isn't bad.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #72 on: September 03, 2012, 04:51:09 PM

Is it actually working for you? I haven't yet found a food with the +10 xp bonus listed, that actually GIVES the bonus.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 03, 2012, 04:58:54 PM

It's hard to tell because mobs can have a bonus implicitly. But I was seeing lower than 10 bonus numbers with a +10% food and larger than expected numbers with a +10xp food. Since I'm really just eating waste product of levelling if it I didn't test too carefully.

I really need some good potato recipes though, got quite a few now.

- Simond
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 03, 2012, 05:20:07 PM

Well what I do to test it, is I go find mobs who I know won't have any bonus saved up - in the starter zone, spawned by an event, etc., and kill them while under the food effect. Universally so far, I get *no* displayed bonus.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:47 PM

I don't get a displayed bonus for the black lion xp boosters so I'm not sure exactly where you woudl see the bonus xp.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #76 on: September 03, 2012, 06:05:16 PM

Yeah, I've wondered about the whole bonus xp thing... I've seen stuff like   10 xp 6 bonus  when I haven't eaten any food or used any special items... no idea what the bonus is for.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 03, 2012, 06:14:40 PM

The bonus is from mobs which have not been killed in a long time.

Food doesn't give a +10 exp, it adds 10 percent. You can compare the exp with and without.

ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:35 PM

I think I mentioned this in another thread - I am getting the 10% bonus by eating rice balls.  6xp kills become 7xp kills.  The bonus does not appear as a separate number (e.g., 6xp + 1xp) because as Furiously mentioned that type of bonus is awarded for killing things that have not been killed in a while.  I got a crazy 36xp bonus per kill for a set of black sheep.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:32 PM

Food doesn't give a +10 exp, it adds 10 percent. You can compare the exp with and without.

That's a pretty terrible typo to be on every single food item.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 03, 2012, 11:45:44 PM

I tried one item I had on me (buttered cinnamon toast) that said +10 XP per kill and killed the same mobs until the bonus was gone. 13 XP went to 14-15 so yeah, looks like a typo.

- Simond
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 04, 2012, 02:56:08 AM

I'm starting to get the Diablo 3 feeling.  Items so cheap on the AH its easier to just buy them.  Most items were right around 1 silver and at level 36 every heart I do gets me 1 silver 40 copper in the mail.

To go with that the recent complete nerf of karma items makes using the AH way better as at least you can vendor or salvage stuff when you're done with it. What the fuck are they doing with this karma nerf shit?
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 04, 2012, 03:18:21 AM

To go with that the recent complete nerf of karma items makes using the AH way better as at least you can vendor or salvage stuff when you're done with it. What the fuck are they doing with this karma nerf shit?
At a guess I'd say it's in place until they're sure all the karma weapons that were obtained through the exploit are out of the system to prevent people from salvaging them. I seem to remember them asking people to delete those items (presumably after their ban was up?) which implies they don't have methods in place to do this themselves so I guess they don't have a means to track whether people deleted or salvaged them either. Which is pretty swamp poop
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: September 04, 2012, 04:13:19 AM

On the cooking XP: I'm really not sure if it even works as 10%, but if you want a reason to keep grinding it up: I've seen people running around with +22% magic find food. :P
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 04, 2012, 05:26:18 AM

Does that carry over to resurce nodes too? I noticed the other day that I got 203xp from mining a copper node in addition to usual 9xp/dig but had no idea why.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 04, 2012, 05:31:19 AM

Does that carry over to resurce nodes too? I noticed the other day that I got 203xp from mining a copper node in addition to usual 9xp/dig but had no idea why.

Daily progress, probably. You gain a chunk every time the little 1-4 tiers trigger.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #86 on: September 04, 2012, 05:40:51 AM

They need to just take the xp modifier off food entirely. You get such a little xp reward for normal killing that +10% or even +10 (if it was put that way to truly be +10) is pretty meaningless in relation to just exploring and DEs. It is just not that big of an incentive. Hell, even if it counts toward the lvl 30s DEs which give a nice 1k xp reward, 100 more is not going to make that big of a dent. Add another boon or extend the durations... just get rid of the xp mod entirely. Too distracting.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: September 04, 2012, 07:03:27 AM

Trading post was up this morning; I was able to buy cotton and linen and get my skills back up to level without farming mobs.  I hope they tweak the cloth drop rates a bit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #88 on: September 04, 2012, 07:43:23 AM

just get rid of the xp mod entirely. Too distracting.
Put down the pipe.
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 04, 2012, 12:53:02 PM

They need to just take the xp modifier off food entirely. You get such a little xp reward for normal killing that +10% or even +10 (if it was put that way to truly be +10) is pretty meaningless in relation to just exploring and DEs. It is just not that big of an incentive. Hell, even if it counts toward the lvl 30s DEs which give a nice 1k xp reward, 100 more is not going to make that big of a dent. Add another boon or extend the durations... just get rid of the xp mod entirely. Too distracting.

Depends on what you're killing.  At 50, I remember getting about 50-60 exp per kill with a 150 bonus in yellow mobs that people normally just walk by.  Grinding on non-aggro mobs can be lucrative IF you find them and then keep moving.  I like just leaving a path of non-aggro carcasses in my wake as I move through a zone to the next heart, hoping to nail the bonus exp.  I believe the bonus would be affected by the 10%, but have not tested it. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #90 on: September 04, 2012, 01:10:26 PM

Depends on what you're killing.  At 50, I remember getting about 50-60 exp per kill with a 150 bonus in yellow mobs that people normally just walk by.  Grinding on non-aggro mobs can be lucrative IF you find them and then keep moving.  I like just leaving a path of non-aggro carcasses in my wake as I move through a zone to the next heart, hoping to nail the bonus exp.  I believe the bonus would be affected by the 10%, but have not tested it. 

As it should... I think the thing I am talking around is that the XP really doesn't mean a whole lot considering how much time spent downleveled in a zone. Nice looking higher tiered armor is always a good carrot, but the effects of armor and weapons and level are brought inline with the level you are playing on rather than being a god among men. And I am not saying that out of malice...I love the fact each zone is challenging - except that norn story quest with the horn - fuck that horn man.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 04, 2012, 01:11:19 PM

The draw of leveling, for me, is the trait skills that I want for WvW.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:30 PM

If discovery gets you hot and bothered, cooking is the best craft for that. As far as I can tell, there's about a billion different recipes.  why so serious?

Is there a list somewhere that tells you what cooking mats you need for discoveries?  The discovery process for crafting confuses me. ACK!
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: September 04, 2012, 02:15:23 PM

Discovery is a little weird at first but basically:

- Get everything in your inventory.  Common materials / fine materials / cooking ingredients, etc.  If it's not here it won't show up in the next step.
- Go to Discovery pane of the crafting interface.  Everything that is shaded, you can ignore for now.  Everything that is redded out, you can ignore until your skill goes up.  Pick a normal-lookin thing and drag/doubleclick it out into the discovery part.  
- Some other stuff will probably go dim at this point - the remaining ingredients are possibles.  Keep dragging normal-lookin stuff out there until it says 'hey I think this is something' (you're set, push the discovery button doodad), or everything goes dim/red, in which case you are missing one of the pieces in your inventory.

That's about it!  Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun, if you have big bags and can hold a bunch of stuff.  I find it entertaining enough that I have avoided looking up recipes, just sort of putter around with whatever new stuff I find to see what unlocks.   I found some rare claw, for example, and I know it will combine with iron bars (to presumably make some kind of box), but I need three of the dang things, so it may be a while before I can see what it really is!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:45 PM

The rare yellow ingredients needing 2-3 is kind of a pisser, I think, because they're SO rare.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #95 on: September 04, 2012, 03:19:11 PM

Is there a list somewhere that tells you what cooking mats you need for discoveries?  The discovery process for crafting confuses me. ACK!

I use http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/cook when I get frustrated and just want to make some GODDAMN SPACE in my GODDAMN BAGS.

God Save the Horn Players
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 04, 2012, 05:07:25 PM

Discovery is a little weird at first but basically:

- Get everything in your inventory.  Common materials / fine materials / cooking ingredients, etc.  If it's not here it won't show up in the next step.
- Go to Discovery pane of the crafting interface.  Everything that is shaded, you can ignore for now.  Everything that is redded out, you can ignore until your skill goes up.  Pick a normal-lookin thing and drag/doubleclick it out into the discovery part.  
- Some other stuff will probably go dim at this point - the remaining ingredients are possibles.  Keep dragging normal-lookin stuff out there until it says 'hey I think this is something' (you're set, push the discovery button doodad), or everything goes dim/red, in which case you are missing one of the pieces in your inventory.

That's about it!  Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun, if you have big bags and can hold a bunch of stuff.  I find it entertaining enough that I have avoided looking up recipes, just sort of putter around with whatever new stuff I find to see what unlocks.   I found some rare claw, for example, and I know it will combine with iron bars (to presumably make some kind of box), but I need three of the dang things, so it may be a while before I can see what it really is!
Step 1 of your list doesn't work really well for cooking; with only 8 slot bags I can't actually hold all of the cooking materials/crafted subcomponents in my inventory all at once. Being able to craft out of the Collectibles tab would be a big help for cooking in particular, since they have SO MANY MATS. It'd also be nice if you could store the subcomponents in the collectibles tab.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: September 04, 2012, 05:11:47 PM

I started up cooking and had to buy another bank slot.  Luckily by level 50 I had 3 gold and a new bank slot only costed 2 gold 2 silver for the 600 gems (or at least it did last night)
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 04, 2012, 05:16:42 PM

Yeah, I wish you could craft out of the bank.  There is a lot of item-shuffling back and forth in general.  Armorsmithing & jeweler also has a bunch of those intermediate components that don't stack in the Collectibles, which is pretty annoying.

The main hurdle to understanding discovering though is not trying to do anything with those grayed-out items.  I have no idea why it even lets you drag them into the window.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: September 04, 2012, 05:45:48 PM

I'm level 19, and wanted to catch my crafting skills, armorsmith and weaponsmith, up to my current 'tier'. And it's a goddamn slog getting the fine mats together for a few skill points. I'm at about 40something on each skill.  angry

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 05, 2012, 02:14:33 AM

I started up cooking and had to buy another bank slot.  Luckily by level 50 I had 3 gold and a new bank slot only costed 2 gold 2 silver for the 600 gems (or at least it did last night)

I sold off all my non cooking and Jewel crafting mats and was able to get enough to buy an additional bank slot which hopefully will give me a break from Inventory Tetris while I experiment with new cooking recipes.  Normally I'd just look them up on the web, but I'm having too much fun trying to figure it out to bother.
RT81
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: September 08, 2012, 01:22:06 PM

I'm level 19, and wanted to catch my crafting skills, armorsmith and weaponsmith, up to my current 'tier'. And it's a goddamn slog getting the fine mats together for a few skill points. I'm at about 40something on each skill.  angry

I'm struggling to understand the philosophy behind crafting in this game. They made everything more accessible and less of a grind...except crafting. Masterwork and rare gear (that I assume isn't crafted, just world drops) is very cheap on the trading post. Even some of the exotic stuff isn't that expensive.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: September 08, 2012, 04:30:20 PM

Jewelry has been reasonable. I'm level 64 up to 308 or so and just made myself some level 65 yellows. Tailoring on the other hand, is very grindy. Two main differences. Jewelry you get all your mats from harvesting nodes which are plentiful. Tailoring you get from salvaging and the random loot bags. The other difference is that you only ever need one gem (the blue component) to make a blue or yellow jewelry item, but for tailoring you either need 3, 8 or 15 of the blue component, depending on the tier of the item.  I'm at 275 tailoring and have made myself level 60 armor, but that was with alot more buying from the post than jewelry. Fprget about runes. Runes are really ridiculous, components so rare I've only discovered like 5 runes so far.

It's certainly alot more work and alot more expensive than buying a new set of weapons for ~1s each off the post every ten levels like I do now. Hardly ever sell anything except my outleveled power/precision jewelry as everything else is so flooded/unwanted it's the same as npc price.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:00 PM

I'm struggling to understand the philosophy behind crafting in this game. They made everything more accessible and less of a grind...except crafting.

Actually a lot of stuff is "grindy" for longevity. Their trick is to keep the grind off the main levelling path. So craft skills, getting all the dungeon armors (which are ultimately cosmetic) and collecting all the dyes are time intensive. And i'm sure they have some more grinds hidden away for achievements and things like legendary weapons.

- Simond
RT81
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 08, 2012, 08:01:05 PM

I'm struggling to understand the philosophy behind crafting in this game. They made everything more accessible and less of a grind...except crafting.

Actually a lot of stuff is "grindy" for longevity. Their trick is to keep the grind off the main levelling path. So craft skills, getting all the dungeon armors (which are ultimately cosmetic) and collecting all the dyes are time intensive. And i'm sure they have some more grinds hidden away for achievements and things like legendary weapons.

I see crafting as trade-off. It's a time and money sink, but you benefit somehow. It's not something I'd likely do just for fun because I haven't played an MMO yet that makes the act of crafting as fun as the combat. GW2 isn't really different in that regard. I've decided crafting isn't really for me since I'm still not sure about what the benefits will be in the long run. I know this game is very against the concept of everything being a means to an end. The game is full of pointless stuff to do that's just there for the fun of it. Crafting has to be just as fun, way easier, or have some really useful benefit for me to want to do it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:18:52 PM by RT81 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting  
Jump to: