Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 91695 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: September 08, 2012, 08:21:16 PM

Honestly, with the trading post making everything unprofitable (hell in most cases you lose money by selling stuff on the TP than to a vendor due to the listing fee) the only point to crafting is if you want to make your own legendaries.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #106 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28:08 PM

I like making stuff for alts and I don't have a lot of money. I find crafting enjoyable, so it works for me. I don't need the most optimal path to enjoy myself (remember I play mmo wrong).

Wondering about jewelry though. Seems to only be 6 rings and 6 accessories in the copper tier? I don't see any way to discover new recipes, am I missing something?

Also, my warrior doesn't actively craft (I took one just to access the crafting benches aka bank); I am a few levels behind where my guardian and thief were at this point (finishing the respective newbie-teen zones). I should probably pvp, but it's definitely rewarding besides goods manufacturing.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 09, 2012, 01:11:56 AM

Crafting has never been fun in any MMO. But it can give you a sense of achievement when you harvest stuff in the wild and get a ding while making stuff. And this does it better than most in that the experience is generous and the discovery process makes it interactive (and discourages you flooding the AH).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 09, 2012, 01:57:14 AM

I like making stuff for alts and I don't have a lot of money. I find crafting enjoyable, so it works for me. I don't need the most optimal path to enjoy myself (remember I play mmo wrong).

Wondering about jewelry though. Seems to only be 6 rings and 6 accessories in the copper tier? I don't see any way to discover new recipes, am I missing something?

Also, my warrior doesn't actively craft (I took one just to access the crafting benches aka bank); I am a few levels behind where my guardian and thief were at this point (finishing the respective newbie-teen zones). I should probably pvp, but it's definitely rewarding besides goods manufacturing.

Copper tier only has 6 gems rather than 7 like the other tiers but you should always have tons of things to discover with jewelcraft.

Each tier you have 4 items (ring, earring, necklace, cut gem). You then can combine the cut gem to make masterwork rings / earrings / necklaces, giving you a total of 42 discoveries alone in the copper tier which should easily get you to 75 points with the discovery bonus and the basic initial points for making copper ingots, settings, bands, hooks and filigrees.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #109 on: September 09, 2012, 02:00:56 AM

You can't make chains or filigree til you hit 50 so you are stuck grinding recipes you know for a while with Jeweling in the copper tier. Also pearls are very rare for some reason.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:54 AM

You can't make chains or filigree til you hit 50 so you are stuck grinding recipes you know for a while with Jeweling in the copper tier. Also pearls are very rare for some reason.
I got quite a few from harvesting clams. There's a small lake in the Venlin Vale area of Brisban Wildlands that I harvested any time I was in the area but I don't remember if they're the right tier for you. There's also quite a few mobs there that drop vials of blood.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 09, 2012, 06:14:08 AM

Yeah, pearls and coral are annoying because they come from sea mobs (extremely rare) and farming clams (rare). I used an expensive salvage kit to keep the one pearl I had a used it many times!
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: September 09, 2012, 08:50:34 AM

Yeah, pearls and coral are annoying because they come from sea mobs (extremely rare) and farming clams (rare). I used an expensive salvage kit to keep the one pearl I had a used it many times!

Yeah, that's the other nice thing about jewelry over tailoring. Using a black lion kit (works out to 15 cents a salvage) you always get the gem back, since the gem goes in the upgrade slot. So you only ever need one gem to do all the discoveries. The insignia used in tailoring is part of the base stats and you don't get it back.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #113 on: September 09, 2012, 11:47:42 AM

A black lion salvage kit (allowing me to re-use gems) and the general abundance of copper made working through the gap between discovery done and the next chunk of craftables in jewelcrafting pretty painless.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 09, 2012, 02:17:35 PM

I'm about ready to give up on leveling armorsmith and weaponsmith as it's slowing me down from playing level-appropriate zones and seeing new content.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 09, 2012, 02:48:25 PM

I'm about ready to give up on leveling armorsmith and weaponsmith as it's slowing me down from playing level-appropriate zones and seeing new content.

While leveling is faster in higher level zones you shouldn't run out of 'new content' I wouldn't think, since you can just go to other race's zones.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 09, 2012, 10:17:55 PM

While leveling is faster in higher level zones you shouldn't run out of 'new content' I wouldn't think, since you can just go to other race's zones.

That's what I did tonight. After running the same zone over and over for about a week to gather mats.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:44 PM

You'll want to complete other zones for the 100% map completion achievement anyway  why so serious?

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 15, 2012, 02:20:44 AM

Look into mounting the gems with filagrees.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 15, 2012, 03:28:53 AM

I don't know you get the option with jewelcrafting sub-50. I think you just have to grind through it.

- Simond
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 15, 2012, 03:38:17 AM

I hit 80 tonight, from 74, just with crafting, and I have a long way to go to cap either of mine. The xp is kind of silly.

sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 15, 2012, 04:14:12 AM

One thing to keep in mind: filagreed gems CANNOT be placed into armor or weapons like uncut stones can; only jewelry/accessories.  So you're stuck either replacing a stone in a ring, selling it on the TP or crafting a masterwork piece out of it.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: September 16, 2012, 03:29:35 AM

One thing to keep in mind: filagreed gems CANNOT be placed into armor or weapons like uncut stones can; only jewelry/accessories.  So you're stuck either replacing a stone in a ring, selling it on the TP or crafting a masterwork piece out of it.

Except you can also experiment with filigreed gems for huge exp gain per discovery. Those masterwork pieces are worth making just for the exp.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #123 on: September 16, 2012, 12:31:22 PM

Good info, but still means a grind to 50. Wonder how that got overlooked undecided
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:00 PM

No idea, I had to google around because it just felt like I was doing something wrong. On the positive side no other craft is competing for the gems. And you can use a high end salvage kit to get the gems back for re-use or make some decent copper selling them.

- Simond
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: September 16, 2012, 07:02:06 PM

Good info, but still means a grind to 50. Wonder how that got overlooked undecided

You waited until you greyed out copper before starting making stuff no? If not there's your missing points.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #126 on: September 16, 2012, 08:24:45 PM

Tried giving crafting a chance for like 2-3 hours.
Wasn't fun. Wasn't interesting. EXP reward is decent, but it didn't feel rewarding to have all that clutter in bank and making alt mules just to hold junk.

After a week of pondering, I decided to just sell it all off to the trading post. Every. Single. Piece that gives more than vendor price.
It's a load off my mind.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #127 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47:51 AM

EXP reward is decent

EXP reward is insanely high. I read somewhere that if you max an profession, you get pretty much 10 out of the 80 total levels for your character. This more or less matches my personal experience.

That doesn't justify being a crafter if you don't see the fun or the utility in it (there's plenty of utility if you plan to stay in the game for a while). Just wanted to point out that the exp rewards are crazy good, like never before in any other game.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: September 17, 2012, 05:41:17 AM

Going from 0 to 400 in a craft will give you 10 levels, no matter what level you are. It is possible if you have enough resources to get someone from 0 to 80 purely through crafting.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: September 17, 2012, 08:16:51 AM

I like to make my own stuff. Even though it's more expensive than just buying from the market. Probably always will be unless they really up the drop rate on the blue components. As it is they cost 2x or more as much as the finished item. I can buy masterwork level 80 weapons from the market for ~2-3s, you'll be lucky to buy 1 blue comp of that tier for that price.

Some things I'd like are changes to the ui:

1) Remember which sections I have closed or expanded. Both when you switch to the bank or discovery tab and when you open/close the crafting window.

2)Subdivsions for each tier of material. So coats would have separate sublists for jute, cotton, etc. that could each be opened and closed.

3)An in game way to keep track of what recipes you've unlocked. I'm making a grid on a piece of paper. Fang, blood, etc as column headings and helmet, coat, etc as row headings. Much easier than trying to scan through an ever increasing, small-fonted list.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:10 AM

Discovery from the bank is in, finally. \o/

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: September 18, 2012, 01:00:31 AM

Time to level that chef!

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #132 on: September 18, 2012, 02:34:59 AM

Going from 0 to 400 in a craft will give you 10 levels, no matter what level you are. It is possible if you have enough resources to get someone from 0 to 80 purely through crafting.

I heard that, but there's no rush to level in this game. I'm at 20 now and I still spend time in another race's lvl 1-20 zone just to spice things up, and it's a pretty nice change.
So what's the attraction of crafting for me? Kinda nothing to be honest.

I picked up an odd weapon upgrade every 3-5 levels or so from AH for a silver or two. Dumped everything into AH to sell, making net gain in currency, then head back to exploring, unlocking vistas, skill points, gather free resources, completing hearts. It's a really free-flowing MMO sandbox experience on par with Skyrim. If I invested time into crafting, everything seems disrupted and I spend a lot of time not doing the fun stuff.

I don't like that at all.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: September 18, 2012, 03:13:15 AM

So don't do it.

The game's designed so there are lots of things you can do but nothing you *need* to do. The XP from crafting included, you certainly don't need it because you can't do anything in the game without getting given XP.

- Simond
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: September 18, 2012, 06:15:32 AM

Discovery from the bank is in, finally. \o/

Thank god.  No more scanning everything to see if it's usable by the current profession and then moving it over to the pack just to find out I already know that particular combo.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: October 02, 2012, 08:56:00 PM

Legendary Greatsword Sunrise was crafted.  It is truly legendary whether you are talking looks or crafting mats =p
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/68910-the-long-awaited-legendary-greatsword-sunrise/
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: October 02, 2012, 09:10:43 PM

Weak, now he needs to make Twilight and combine them.  tongue

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: October 03, 2012, 07:02:52 AM

After a week of pondering, I decided to just sell it all off to the trading post. Every. Single. Piece that gives more than vendor price.
It's a load off my mind.

I did this last night and couldn't be happier. I am no crafter.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 04, 2012, 06:42:29 PM

My ele alt hit 40 so I was gonna craft some armor and jewelry for her. My main is a 400 tailor/jeweler. I has some materials but needed more. I'd have to buy 15 venom sacs, 22 cotton scraps from the tp and a spool of thread from the npc. At 'buy it now' prices the total would've been 13s 39c. I looked at buying finished pieces. At 'buy it now' prices that would've run 5s 2c for a full set of level 40 armor. sigh. I did some of both. Had enough on hand to make the chest and bought the three venoms I needed to make the legs. Total 3s 27c. So damn upside down that the finished pieces are worth less than the components.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: October 04, 2012, 07:25:19 PM

That's every MMO ever.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Crafting  
Jump to: