Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: London 2012 Summer Olympics 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: London 2012 Summer Olympics  (Read 67295 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: August 05, 2012, 03:56:10 PM

I think most of the X-Games stuff should be added to the Olympics.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: August 05, 2012, 07:59:02 PM

Golf is being added, I believe, although I don't really get why that's OK but, say, water polo or crew isn't. Nothing about "team" suddenly makes a sport less a showcase of athletes doing their athletic thing.

I'm totally on board with bowling being added. The more sports that have a wide range of ages capable of competing, the happier I am. Shit like "women's" gymnastics gets me down when you're basically too old for the sport before you even hit the legal drinking age in the US, you know?
Most of those "women" are barely legal adults as it is.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #212 on: August 05, 2012, 08:18:16 PM

Women's gymnastics probably shouldn't skeeve me out as much as it does, but it does.

God Save the Horn Players
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:12 PM

All the artistic gymnastics skeeve me out. They're creepy and bizzare. At least rhythmic gymnastics is beautiful.

I knew a guy in college who did the male gymnastics stuff.. and he had callouses on his hands so thick that when he closed them into fists they formed solid tubes. Then one day while on the pommel horse the ones on his left hand cracked and while he was having it examined by the medic the WHOLE SURFACE OF HIS PALM CAME OFF.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #214 on: August 05, 2012, 08:42:08 PM

I liked women's gymnastics at UGA. I don't think that's the same thing as the Olympics though.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #215 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:06 PM

Basketball is becoming the worlds biggest sport after soccer.  It is played everywhere now, and the olympics have become basketballs equivalent of the world cup.  The tournament is highly anticipated and heavily watched all around the world.  Dropping it would be silly.

Personally I think they should make the world championships for all ball games be based around the Olympics instead of there own tournaments, but I know that's not realistically possible for a number of reasons.
I would dump basketball because it's ridiculously 1-sided, the the talk is that the NBA isn't going to send the best anymore after this year. Outside of Argentina winning in 2004, when the USA again didn't send it's best players, we are unlikely not to win the gold medal.
Basketball was pretty interesting when the US wasn't sending the dream team.  It should go back to amateurs or under 19 or somesuch. 
There's talk that the NBA (i.e. David Stern) may do something similar to soccer and only allow NBA players 23 and younger to play in the Olympcs.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: August 05, 2012, 10:58:30 PM

Here's the problem with some of those professional sports (team or otherwise), in my opinion:

- Watching the Dream Team isn't compelling in any way, unless you enjoy lopsided humiliations.  Watching a group of multi millionaires pummel a sorry group from Country X that only might have 1 millionaire on the team is not good sports.

- Watching the Williams sisters, who have won countless individual and doubles titles the world over - and have made millions upon millions of dollars doing so - go in and beat a random combination of other tennis players and then proceed to act as if they have actually accomplished something special (complete with possibly fake dance of happiness), is not interesting.  If you actually think they care as much as they would about, say, a French Open title, then you obviously didn't watch Federer play yesterday (and why would you?)

- There are already plenty of tournaments, to determine who the best soccer teams in the world are.  We already know, without a doubt, who they are and we don't need yet another tournament to find out.  And when Bolivia or some other country ends up running away with the gold, not one of us actually believe them to be the best soccer team in the world anyway, so why waste our time?

- The best golfers in the world play each other every week already.  I mean, practically every damn week, and almost all year round.  Why on earth would we need to see yet another week of it?   

And so on.  There are exceptions.  Volleyball is still so obscure that it can be compelling sometimes.  Hockey somehow manages to become more interesting in the OL.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #217 on: August 06, 2012, 05:01:44 AM

Hockey is interesting because there are no international competitions to put the best from the US and Canada against the rest of the world at other times.

As you point out, this already happens in Tennis, Golf and Soccer.  Basketball isn't as competitive anywhere else in the world as it is in the US (which is why you 'retire' to the European league) so that's a lopsided and unfun affair.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #218 on: August 06, 2012, 06:27:10 AM

But all you young ones don't remember the US getting tarred in basketball for decades because NBA players weren't allowed in while European semi-pro players were.  I have no issue with our basketball team winning by 50. 

I have never played WoW.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: August 06, 2012, 06:33:42 AM

Not in all sports.  Football (ie the round type) in the Olympics is under 23s if I recall.

No it's not. Or, if it is, someone forgot to tell Ryan Giggs.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #220 on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:51 AM

Not in all sports.  Football (ie the round type) in the Olympics is under 23s if I recall.

Each team gets three exceptions to the rule. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #221 on: August 06, 2012, 09:19:24 AM

Also the women teams aren't U23s.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #222 on: August 06, 2012, 01:41:47 PM

US womens' soccer is trying really hard to lose to Canada.  Christine Sinclair is pretty much a badass. 
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: August 06, 2012, 02:01:02 PM

That makes more sense. Not that I've watched a single second of the football.

Greco-roman wrestling though - there's a sport I absolutely cannot take seriously.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: August 06, 2012, 03:33:42 PM

Handball, hockey and water polo are fucking dull to watch. I don't doubt their worth as sports (well, maybe handball's) but they are not made for spectators.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #225 on: August 06, 2012, 03:38:03 PM

Water polo I would agree, unless you follow the sport, cause so much happens under the water but handball? That seems very spectator friendly. It's like a cross between basketball and soccer with lots of scoring.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: August 06, 2012, 03:52:56 PM

Most of the handball I have seen seems to involve an awful lot one team standing in a line in front of the other team with everyone waving their arms a lot and not much happening. It doesn't have the movement of either basketball or football. I'm also going to make the probably unpopular observation that beach volleyball as a sport is pretty poor, and vastly inferior to true volleyball in terms of how fun the games are to watch. YMMV.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: August 06, 2012, 05:06:35 PM

US womens' soccer is trying really hard to lose to Canada.  Christine Sinclair is pretty much a badass. 

That was a ridiculously entertaining soccer game until the refs ruined it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: August 06, 2012, 05:30:08 PM

I also prefer indoor volleyball to beach, but part of that is that a lot of my family played volleyball through our school years so it's something I keep up with outside of the Olympics.

I've found team handball to be pretty fun.  I randomly flipped over to a women's pool play game the first day and have been hooked ever since.  It does have some of that "pass along the perimeter and wait for an opening in the defense stuff" that K9 talks about, but it also has a lot of the drive and kick that's really fun in basketball.  It also gets sufficiently violent for my tastes and the relatively small size of the court makes the "goal kick" equivalent a super exciting outlet pass.  Also penalties are fun.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #229 on: August 06, 2012, 05:43:38 PM

I also prefer indoor volleyball to beach, but part of that is that a lot of my family played volleyball through our school years so it's something I keep up with outside of the Olympics.

Only sport I ever played throughout college. Messed around in beach leagues in the summer, but preferred indoor when I could get it before the season started. It is the only thing I actually try to catch during the Olympics. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: August 06, 2012, 06:11:01 PM

Find your ideal Olympic match!  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139

Mine was Jun Zhang, Chinese shotputter.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #231 on: August 06, 2012, 06:30:32 PM

Even if the current matches are lopsided, I'd like to see it stay in the Olympics to help it grow, because eventually its going to be very competitive.  Basketball has become the top played youth sport in many countries around the world (higher than soccer in many places even).  Globally, its basically at the point soccer is in the US, as being primarily a kids sport with semi-pro leagues.  Another generation or two of kids growing up primarily playing that game should result in some great competition, and help grow the sport even more around the world.

I like both styles of Volleyball, but do find Beach Volleyball to be more exciting.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: August 06, 2012, 07:53:02 PM

In Australia basketball basically died after Jordan retired. Only just got a new men's pro league in the last two years.

Lots of the decent players, who aren't good enough to play OS, get picked up by the football codes which pay better. As most decent sports kids here play 2-3 or more sports.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #233 on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:40 PM

Hiroki Sakai, Japanese soccer player.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #234 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:05 PM

That was a ridiculously entertaining soccer game until the refs ruined it.

I've always hated soccer refereeing, but I'm willing to admit that debatable calls happen in the box - no one's perfect. But to have a call, that no one seems to even remember ever being called before in that manner, to give a free kick from the penalty spot, for delay of game in an Olympic semifinal - yea, I honestly really don't feel like watching any more of the games right now.

I don't know if I will.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: August 06, 2012, 10:24:42 PM

Charlotte Dujardin and Georgina Cassar. Dressage and women's gymnastics.  Ohhhhh, I see.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:11 PM

Miguel Nunes, Portuguese Sailor or Milica Mandic, Croatian Taekwondo or Aymen Mejri, Tunisian Rower.

Carl Myerscough must be massive.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #237 on: August 06, 2012, 11:43:44 PM

Charlotte Dujardin and Georgina Cassar. Dressage and women's gymnastics.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Aleksandar Karakasevic, Serbian table tennis player. <flex>

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #238 on: August 07, 2012, 12:16:47 AM

You're tall. 

Neringa Aidietyte, Lithuania, Women's 20km Walk   Hulk Rock

-Rasix
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: August 07, 2012, 12:24:26 AM

I get Matthew Wells (UK rower), Glen Robinson (UK water polo), and Kevin Sireau (France track cycling).   Had a Great Britain mastery of the seas theme going, but then France guy ruined it.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #240 on: August 07, 2012, 01:49:09 AM

You're tall. 

Heeeey, for all you know ol' Aleksandar is 5'3".

OK, yes. I am kinda tall.  Heart

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: August 07, 2012, 03:30:04 AM

You're tall.  

Heeeey, for all you know ol' Aleksandar is 5'3".

OK, yes. I am kinda tall.  Heart

He's 6ft. And looks like an extra from GTA IV

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:25:47 AM by DraconianOne »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: August 07, 2012, 03:33:52 AM

You know you just outed Sjofn's height and weight, right? why so serious? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #243 on: August 07, 2012, 03:54:56 AM

Italian Josefa Idem, competing in her eighth olympic games, 47 years old, just qualified for the Women's Kayak single (K1) final, arriving first in her semifinal  Thumbs up!

http://www.london2012.com/canoe-sprint/event/kayak-single-500m-women/phase=cfw115200/index.html

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: August 07, 2012, 04:03:34 AM

You know you just outed Sjofn's height and weight, right? why so serious? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

They outed themselves by giving answers to that test. Why do you think I haven't said who I resemble?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: London 2012 Summer Olympics  
Jump to: