Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: London 2012 Summer Olympics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: London 2012 Summer Olympics  (Read 65933 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: July 26, 2012, 09:24:21 PM

USA! USA! USA! awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:19 PM

38 Cal athletes, 37 for Stanford.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:32:58 PM

Let's wait and see which group brings in the most medals why so serious?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:20:19 PM

It's nice to see that people care about swimming and diving once every 4 years.   why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:29 PM

It's nice to see that people care about swimming and diving once every 4 years.   why so serious?

Fixed.  I think ever since the Chinese decided to conquer the diving world, people care less about it than ever before!

Swimming has certainly had a greater exposure to the average American outside of the Olympics in the last 4 years.  Largely because of Michael Phelps, obviously, but it seems to get much more press, to the extent that there are other recognizable names and stories out there..  Probably won't stay that way once he retires.

For me, I freaking LOVE the track and field events, particularly the running.  Seriously, the events like the 100, the 200 and all the other relatively short distance events are some of the best and most intense drama in all of sports.  Even the females.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:37:45 PM

Diving is roughly 3000x more interesting to watch than swimming. I'm not sure there's a worse spectator sport than swimming in the Olympics.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:11 AM

Diving is roughly 3000x more interesting to watch than swimming. I'm not sure there's a worse spectator sport than swimming in the Olympics.

I don't disagree with you, but I would place a pretty heavy wager that the swimming will get much higher ratings in general.  I have always thought competitive swimming was somewhat ridiculous, in that there are different methods being used that are clearly inferior to the others (e.g. breaststroke vs. crawl).  It would be the track and field equivalent of having the 100m sprint...only this time you have to run backwards.  Or just use the one leg.  Or with your hands tied behind your back!  And now we can repeat those same inferior methods over greater distances...how about the 10000m hopping on one leg backwards event!

And that's before you begin talking about how much their fucking clothing aids them.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:37:07 AM

It would be the track and field equivalent of having the 100m sprint...only this time you have to run backwards.  Or just use the one leg.  Or with your hands tied behind your back!  And now we can repeat those same inferior methods over greater distances...how about the 10000m hopping on one leg backwards event!
You mean the hopping event in Track and Field -- aka the Triple Jump? How does that compare to the Long Jump? Or how about the Shot Put and Discus vs Javelin? Or what's up with those stupid hurdles and steeplechase barriers and water pits on the track? Why would you handicap yourself by putting that stuff out there? Why would you ever do a high jump when you can pole vault?
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:52:27 AM

People care about diving, just ask any supporter of (insert your least favorite football/soccer team here)  why so serious?

Hungary's not going to do well this year... at all. I'm not sure how much of this is due to the massive clusterfuck our country's been for the last 3 years or so...

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 01:08:34 AM

It would be the track and field equivalent of having the 100m sprint...only this time you have to run backwards.  Or just use the one leg.  Or with your hands tied behind your back!  And now we can repeat those same inferior methods over greater distances...how about the 10000m hopping on one leg backwards event!
You mean the hopping event in Track and Field -- aka the Triple Jump? How does that compare to the Long Jump? Or how about the Shot Put and Discus vs Javelin? Or what's up with those stupid hurdles and steeplechase barriers and water pits on the track? Why would you handicap yourself by putting that stuff out there? Why would you ever do a high jump when you can pole vault?

False equivalency, in my opinion, though I would see why one would be attempted to compare.  Jumping hurdles in track is not equivalent to doing the butterfly in swimming.  Swimming underwater through hoops might be equivalent, but they don't do that (they totally should!). 

The difference in the track events is that the equipment is different.  The difference in the swimming event is the allowed body mechanics are different.

Speed walking!  That is a proper comparison of a track event.  And not suprisingly, it is ridiculous both to ponder and to watch.

All that said, I generally enjoy the swimming events.  But on a basic level, I still find them to be nonsensical.  It should all be freestyle, over different distances.  Unless they throw in some hoops.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 02:00:36 AM

Triple Jump and Long Jump the "equipment" is the same.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:19:14 AM

Go Italy!!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Heart Heart

As always, we have big hopes for fencing and swimming (Federica  Heart); I also think our female team in gymnastic (artistic) will provide a good show :). Oh, and Tania Cagnotto for diving just behind the chinese robots :P

Personally, beside the usual suspects like track 'n field, my favourite sports at the Olympics are:

- Archery (yep :P)
- 50km Race Walk (because it reminds me of Stephen King's "The Long Walk"...Someday, maybe they'll implement the same rules of the novel, muahhaha  DRILLING AND MANLINESS)
- 10km Swimming Marathon (fascinating to see them swim outside of the usual, boring lanes)
- Tennis (because I love tennis in general)
- Triathlon (it's pretty funny if TV covers the event properly)
- Boxing (when it's not rigged...so that's difficult :P)

Enjoy the Olympics!  Thumbs up!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 06:08:11 AM

Yay! time for the other Olympics.

We don't do quite as well at summer sports...

Time for us to dominate such high profile sports such as Kayaking!
Should still be fun though. Oddly, I'm looking forward to seeing Mary Poppins fight Voldemort in the opening ceremonies.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 06:28:14 AM

Like most sports, you have to know what's going on to enjoy it.  Swimmers love watching swimming.  I catch it any time it's on.

There's much more to each stroke than just doing it differently and distance makes a huge impact on strategy and physical exertion.  Cyrrex sounds like a guy who's never actually been in a pool at all and it's amusing.

Still better than nobody ever caring about fencing, judo, ping-pong, badminton and so many of the other sports that compete but are never recognized.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 06:33:09 AM

I love how ESPN, since they don't have the TV rights, is basically ignoring the games.

Oh and when they aren't, the headline story today is "Fear & Loathing in London"

Stay classy ESPN.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 06:37:54 AM

I've never been much for the track and field events, but I could watch the indoor volleyball and table tennis/badminton events all day.  Handball, field hockey and Water polo too.  If curling could be in both the summer and winter olympics I'd be in heaven.  I'll be glued to the tv/monitor anyway.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 06:41:27 AM

http://deadspin.com/5929333/we-will-go-on-believing-that-the-olympians-crashed-grindr-despite-what-grindr-says

Other funny Olympic story that the gay cruising app Grindr crashed at the same time all the Olympic participants showed up.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:12 AM

Still better than nobody ever caring about fencing, judo, ping-pong, badminton and so many of the other sports that compete but are never recognized.

Hey, I love fencing! And archery. I love watching archery.

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 12:13:02 PM

I predict Archery is going to be very popular this Olympics thanks to The Hunger Games.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:39 PM

I like the Olympics. Mostly I like the obscure stuff like badminten and boating. I'll watch pretty much everything but the "women's" gymnastics which are just too  this guy looks legit and massively over covered on US TV. My partner and I are both boxing fans and really looking forward to the debut of women's boxing.

And yeah, archery is going to be huge.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 12:39:28 PM

I remain skeptical on the archery front.  Even if it is popular, it hasn't been in the past and you - maybe- got an hour or so televised of the final round, but never during Primetime.

National Lampoon had the best satire of Women's Gymnastics years and years ago.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGwIyzrlOMQ  {NSFW}

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 02:25:11 PM

For what it's worth the BBC are streaming literally everything this time.

Opening ceremony wasn't screwed up in any way this evening, another sigh of relief goes up across the UK.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 02:29:23 PM

Okay.  The announcer just said that England hasn't scored a goal in the olympics in football since 1960.  That's pathetic.   Ohhhhh, I see.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 04:10:24 PM

They haven't even qualified for the main tournament since then.

In other news, Japan beat Spain? Madness.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 04:49:15 PM

That was certainly an opening ceremony.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 04:56:48 PM

The cauldron itself was very cool - but I really don't understand why it was lit by some random people apparently dragged in off the street.

Rest of it felt satisfyingly British and not in fact embarrassing.

Considerably more fun to watch than trainspotting or the beach.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 06:30:02 PM

Ceremony good.

Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera bad.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 06:36:02 PM

Very, very bad, yes.  Though it's mainly Meredeth. She, or whoever is writing for her, should stop trying to be funny.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 06:45:37 PM

Best part of the ceremony was Rowan Atkinson.  Otherwise it was ok.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 06:58:30 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of the theme of the opening ceremony, although it was well put together.  It seemed to say, "we had this beautiful country and then we turned into a huge pile of slag".  Reminded me of Lord of the Rings, in a way, with the industrialization, glowing rings and hobbit holes. 

The Queen looked a bit like my grandmother when she had late stage Alzheimers, i.e. like she had no fucking clue what was going on.  Does she smile? 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 07:00:37 PM

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 08:15:17 PM

Someone tell me when they are done introducing all the countries. *snooze*

- Viin
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 09:29:27 PM

McCartney did not sound good at all. 
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:01 PM

The queen and Bond jumping out of a chopper  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

And yea, if you're not a swimmer or diver, you won't get the nuance.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 12:55:10 AM

Olympic Welcome from Boris Johnson

Also, the opening ceremony was awesome.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: London 2012 Summer Olympics  
Jump to: