Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 08:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things you like  (Read 122434 times)
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23:04 AM

Alright, I bought this last night based on all the good word of mouth I'm seeing, and man, I'm impressed.  I haven't done all that much yet combat-wise, but that in itself is impressive.  I haven't played an MMO in quite some time that made me just want to explore.

While I've only done the tutorial combat, I definitely wasn't horrified by the combat or anything.  I wouldn't say it was amazing, but not revolting, either, and I tend to be pretty picky about look-and-feel stuff.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: July 13, 2012, 08:07:40 AM

Finished the storyline last night. Couple bugs I had to read a spoiler site on. I'm thinking it might be fun to see how the faction quests are for the other sides. The ending is not deaf friendly.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #72 on: July 13, 2012, 08:20:13 AM

The ending is not deaf friendly.

NO SPOILERS!

About that, people complained about many things not being deaf friendly or colour blind friendly. They officially apologised, but said that'ss not gonna change. Something like "it's a multimedia product, there's only as much that we can do about it. Sorry! (means: deal with it)".

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #73 on: July 13, 2012, 09:26:03 AM

It really is horrid for color blind people.  Blood splatters on the ground? Can't see most of them.  Red AoE crosshairs in last in Inferno fight? Really, really hard to see.

That being said, I'm still enjoying this immensely and starting to enjoy mucking around with different builds and build concepts after a couple dungeon runs.   I'm liking a lot that the dungeons all have some difficult fights, although some of that difficulty is introduced with how they do gear (seriously, add some HP to blue items, people aren't smart enough to live with 2k HP on boss battles).

Kirsten Geary continues to make my chuckle.  I've started screenshotting most of my mission complete responses from her.

-Rasix
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 13, 2012, 10:20:27 AM

I have a hard enough time following footprints and birds and whatever other hunt the pixel stuff. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be color blind.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #75 on: July 14, 2012, 06:38:41 AM

Still in Kingsmouth (being slow, but thorough). Just biting my teeth at Something Wicked. Greatly enjoying the atmosphere and story...almost playing it as a single player game.

If I had a gripe it would be lack of interaction with other players so far. Feels like a wasted opportunity not to RP in this game.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:42:16 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: July 14, 2012, 08:45:24 AM

Someone near the tube station in London has a radio which is playing the shipping forecast.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 14, 2012, 01:14:41 PM

No levels is amazing.  It has two main effects, one psychological and one practical.

1)  No rush to level up.  In SWTOR I wanted to hit 60 quickly to hit the end game, to finish content, to feel like a cool kid, whatever.  That certainly led to me not taking my time and smelling the roses, although admiteddly there is little reason to do in that game compared to this one.  I just feel zero rush at all in this game to progress, which is a great feeling and actually may save the genre for me.

2)  Can rerun all old content at any time and gain from it.  Obliterates the need for somewhat weird and unintuitive systems like sidekicking artificially raising or lowering the power of players so it's 'ok' they can group together.  There's no arbitrary barriers between players.  There are certainly barriers due to gear and weapon skill for noobs to jump into high level areas, but I'm pretty sure if a group of 5 new players wanted to jump straight to Egypt they could handle it.  Good luck with that in a traditional level based game.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 14, 2012, 05:49:16 PM

The level-less thing is a pretty big lie, actually.  There's 40-50+ of them, depending on how you want to count it (3 talismans + 1-2 weapons), and they absolutely do matter.  Higher tier gear vastly outstrips lower tier (and more importantly, higher tier weapon skills since that affects glancing).  It's really apparent in the pvp.  Go into fusang as a ql1-3 right now, and see how well you do against ql6-10.  It's not pretty.  That said, they did massively succeed in making sure that you're never penalized for having higher QL people playing with you, and that they're actually rewarded decently for their time.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: July 14, 2012, 06:26:34 PM

I think if you really want to count levels, then it's like there is only ten levels. Sure a "level 10" player is going to destroy a level 5, but the difference is NEVER like, say, level 22 vs level 47. It's tighter, closer (reflected by the difference in HP, which is not that big), and even at QL4 (as I am) I can rip holes into a QL10 (max "level") player with a pure dps build.

The fork between a "top level" player and one that just started isn't as big as in any other game of this kind, and this coupled with what Trias mentioned above really defines the game. And yes, the positive implications of a MMORPG having only 10 levels without taking away from the players the feeling of dinging are countless (content doesn't get obsolete easily, players don't feel left behind by overachieving friends, low level players do matter in pvp, grind eliminated due to "dings" coming with flat amounts of XP which streamlining and subvege the traditional progression, and so on).

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 14, 2012, 07:12:14 PM

Soo, review time! But is it fun? Well, yes.

Reaaaaaaaaaaally like this game. No, it's not Robot Jesus, Yes, it's a bit clunky still, And, no, it's not gonna fill the poopsocker-hardcore-raider itch, BUT it has flavour and personality. I like the world, the stories...Deputy Andy, the fortune teller (her life story reminds me of myself...), the "I am a valued forum poster" priest. The game(mechanics) is(are) good enough to be an entertaining vessel for the story.

Funcom really hit the ball this time. If I had to make a comparison I'd say The Secret World is to Age of Conan as Fallout:NV is to Fallout 3.

Cala
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:09:22 PM by calapine »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 14, 2012, 08:36:35 PM

The game doesn't have levels in the EQ sense, but it certainly has progression and tiers, more akin to UO and SWG.

At first confusing, but players will create a common language to fill the void :) "QL" has become the "level". It doesn't immediately indicate whether you raced to the outer ring of Abilities or have 2 points in everything on the inner ring, but most who are grouping regularly seem to have been conditioned to focus.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: July 15, 2012, 03:44:53 AM

It's supposed to buff everyone's gear up to QL 10 as soon as you go into a PvP zone anyway. I don't know how well that works in practice.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #83 on: July 15, 2012, 05:03:40 AM

I've entered couple of their PvP tests during the beta with a character sporting nothing better but a set of ql4 gear from their autolevel bots, and didn't really feel noticeably weaker than anyone else there. Had more hp in there than outside of the zone so some sort of stat buffing is definitely going on, although at the time i thought that was from wearing one of those PvP outfits you select when you join (was using the dps one)

Mind you, due to zerg nature of the whole experience didn't get many chances to compare solo performance against single enemy players. And it's equally hard to tell whether the (dis)advantage you experience is result of gear, or someone using some particularly handy/weak ability build.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 15, 2012, 02:24:05 PM

Ok so I just played this game 12 hours straight, the first MMO since WoW ca. 2006 that's managed to suck me in like that. So I guess I really like the atmosphere in this game. Incredibly immersive.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 15, 2012, 06:57:28 PM

Ok so I just played this game 12 hours straight, the first MMO since WoW ca. 2006 that's managed to suck me in like that. So I guess I really like the atmosphere in this game. Incredibly immersive.

Yea it definately suffers from just one more quest.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #86 on: July 15, 2012, 08:21:58 PM

Is it possible for me to hold off on this until everyone hates it?  Good god you people are being a good sales team.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 15, 2012, 08:33:12 PM

Is it possible for me to hold off on this until everyone hates it?  Good god you people are being a good sales team.   Ohhhhh, I see.

If you enjoy story and atmosphere, you'll really enjoy it.  The power curve is also quite flat, which makes grouping with someone far above or below you a very pleasant affair. 

If you want something to scratch the MMO itch, this is a great choice.  It's not without its problems though. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 15, 2012, 08:38:23 PM

The downside is there isnt a lot of replay-value. I'd like to see the other faction quests but to actually do them would be nut pounding punishing.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 16, 2012, 07:18:59 AM

The Good in the Bad sort-of thing: A quest ("The Black House") bugged on me, I sent a support ticket and took up something else. Not even 10 mins later a GM contacts me, asks me to unpause the mission, then advances me to the next tier.

Really supposed by the reaction time. Considering its just 2 weeks after launch and there are quite a few bugs I expected them to be swamps in calls.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:22:00 AM by calapine »

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #90 on: July 16, 2012, 07:23:21 AM

The downside is there isnt a lot of replay-value. I'd like to see the other faction quests but to actually do them would be nut pounding punishing.
I'm guessing the other faction quests are the same and that they just swap out the faction you are against, but I'm not sure.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 17, 2012, 02:08:23 PM

"Fucked from page one".  Heart

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #92 on: July 17, 2012, 02:16:52 PM

I'm guessing the other faction quests are the same and that they just swap out the faction you are against, but I'm not sure.

They do, but some of the faction chats with your handler are well worth the replay value. If you've played Temp or Dragon, you should roll a lumie just to get the double-barreled snark that is Kristen Geary and the All-Seeing Eye.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #93 on: July 18, 2012, 08:38:28 AM

I know everyone is way past newbland, but I was running my Femplar alt through Kingsmouth and noticed something nice. She's pure pistol dps right now, just added a smidge of Elementalism last night (moving to a crit build, I think), and she can take some pretty serious enemies compared to my blade/AR guy. I noticed I could take the golems between the junkyard and airport when I was still QL1 and they were orange to me (they drop QL3 items). So once I unlocked QL3, I ran back over there and spent an hour farming them for QL3 drops, got an almost full set between drops and crafting.

Probably not optimal, but it was really easy. Also funny watching guys with twice the HPs get pounded by the same mobs (Bryn has 2.2k HP) while I was kiting two of them.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 19, 2012, 05:41:36 AM

The difficulty.

It's not the hardest game in the world, it's not a pre-2k MMORPG, but it's definitely not the silly walk-in-the-park handholded fairytale we've been exposed to since late 2004, and I like the challenge. I also like that it can be faced in literally countless different ways, and that some areas are more annoying than others, and I even like that here and there you are forced to group, because it's not too prominent, and still if you are awesome you can almost always make it without help, which makes you feel more rewarded than with any kind of purple item drop.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:25 AM

They do, but some of the faction chats with your handler are well worth the replay value. If you've played Temp or Dragon, you should roll a lumie just to get the double-barreled snark that is Kristen Geary and the All-Seeing Eye.

There are some differences in the faction specific quests. They all go to the same area but tell slightly different stories. For example, for the first one I've done it as both templar and illuminati and got two different versions of what is happening. I won't spoil anything but it does lead me to having a theory about what "really happened" in that parking garage. I'd have to play Dragon as well to get the full story I suppose.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rasix

Reply #96 on: July 19, 2012, 11:55:24 AM

I'm liking that Egypt isn't a huge falloff in quality as I expected moving on from Solomon Island.  The Scorched Desert running bug is a pain, but so far the quests have been quite good.

-Rasix
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 19, 2012, 11:57:44 AM

Yeah, I was in scorched last night and that was awful. Luckily it is only in that one zone and not the entire region (City of the Sun God was okay, same with the instances there).

Rasix

Reply #98 on: July 19, 2012, 12:00:15 PM

Yah, all my quests right now are in Scorched, so I just played LoL instead last night.  Sprint was back to working this morning, and I finished a couple quests while on a particularly boring conference call.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:16 PM

As an fyi, almost all bugs in the game can be worked around by getting a port to another instance. That includes sprint in Egypt. People are practically advertising in general chat. "If you need a work sprint send me a tell and I'll invite you to my instance."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 19, 2012, 12:48:54 PM

The difficulty.

It's not the hardest game in the world, it's not a pre-2k MMORPG, but it's definitely not the silly walk-in-the-park handholded fairytale we've been exposed to since late 2004, and I like the challenge. I also like that it can be faced in literally countless different ways, and that some areas are more annoying than others, and I even like that here and there you are forced to group, because it's not too prominent, and still if you are awesome you can almost always make it without help, which makes you feel more rewarded than with any kind of purple item drop.

I've lost track of how many times I've died.  A couple dozen at least.  Even in Kingsmouth, I've never been killed that many times in a starter zone in any MMO before.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 19, 2012, 01:12:53 PM

I'm liking that Egypt isn't a huge falloff in quality as I expected moving on from Solomon Island.  The Scorched Desert running bug is a pain, but so far the quests have been quite good.
Yea, I was sort of expecting the Tortage Effect with Kingsmouth, but even in the last zone of Transylvania the quest / writing quality holds up. My only beef is a drop-off in investigation missions in Egypt/Transylvania (and switching from the ARG-like Kingsmouth missions to more traditional puzzle / explorer-y ones).

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 20, 2012, 06:23:46 PM

As an fyi, almost all bugs in the game can be worked around by getting a port to another instance. That includes sprint in Egypt. People are practically advertising in general chat. "If you need a work sprint send me a tell and I'll invite you to my instance."

This. It's become as popular a request as Rings ports in EQ1 awesome, for real Usually it's "plz port to working <whatever instance-based bug exist> server". I expect players to start charging shortly, if they haven't while I've been traveling.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: July 20, 2012, 06:49:05 PM

Annabel:  Funny as in curious, or funny as in amusing?
Montag:  I don't actually understand the term.  I was... auditioning it for future personable interactions.

This game is pretty well written.  It's pretty astounding how much more I'm enjoying it than I expected.  Honestly, this was almost the first major MMO I haven't bought in as long as I can remember.  SO much better than I expected.

Admittedly, pretty much a single player game, but a really fun one.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #104 on: July 22, 2012, 12:55:47 PM

Tempted to try this.  Is it fun?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like  
Jump to: