Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:22:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things you like  (Read 122444 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #105 on: July 22, 2012, 02:59:45 PM

Yes, it really is.

To stay in topic, things I like: "The Ghosts and the Darkness", solo instance quest in Blue Mountain. Make sure not to skip that one. And if you have the spelunker's helmet from the first faction quest, bring it with you. It's fantastic. Also, turn off the lights in your room and pump up the volume.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #106 on: July 22, 2012, 05:19:26 PM

Game is really fun so long as you like awesome characters, mature themes, witty dialogue and a dark atmosphere.  If you're the type of person who smashes the space bar to skip all that you'll probably complain that the combat mechanics ruin everything.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 22, 2012, 06:19:23 PM

Game is really fun so long as you like awesome characters, mature themes, witty dialogue and a dark atmosphere.  If you're the type of person who smashes the space bar to skip all that you'll probably complain that the combat mechanics ruin everything.

I'm one of those people who hits the spacebar. I rewatch the animations in this one. Maybe it's just that in other games the "plot" sucks?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 22, 2012, 07:02:31 PM

I rewatch the animations in this one.

Wait, how do you do this.  Am I dumb?

Edit:  And I kinda feel like reiterating that the combat isn't really that bad.  I don't think it's top tier, but I don't think it's a sore point.  I'm talking the actual "feel" of the combat, not the group mechanics or anything, which I know dick about.  But I held off on purchasing the game thinking the combat would be really sloppy and disconnected from your input, and I don't feel like that's actually the case.  It's not super-crisp, but maybe like launch SWTOR.  Not great if you're trying to be super-AAA top tier, but better than I expected from a game trying to do big things on a (presumably) smallish budget.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:05:40 PM by Abelian75 »
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 22, 2012, 07:07:08 PM

Wait, how do you do this.  Am I dumb?

I just mean that even after the first time, I will watch through the animations rather than bailing out with escape. I can watch the chopper scene a thousand times, particularly since you get the goofiest looks on some of the other passengers.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #110 on: July 23, 2012, 12:46:37 AM

Oh God, a Mothman reference, now I'm going to have a nightmare.  ACK!

So I'm not normally into Cthulhu-y stuff, but ... I am into conspiracy doofiness (like I have a fondness for RL conspiracy people) and paranormal goofiness (like ... well, like Mothman). So I am delighting in all the little touches there.  Heart

God Save the Horn Players
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:47 AM

I'm one of those fools that actually likes the combat for what the game design calls for (which is more complex, near turn-based style combat).  What I dont like are the animations; just dont have enough pop most of the time.  As for the 'feel,' it really has to do with pacing, which is purposely slow.  There's no reason to have a million different afflictions if combat is too fast to take advantage of it.  Same for big bossmob attacks.

As much as people are dying... imagine the tears if combat was more AoC-like.

I really think it all just boils down to the animations.  Slow combat needs strong visual feedback (like some modern TBS games have between turns), and that's lacking a bit from the game.  This alters the flow enough that it feels clunkier than it really is.

I also like the lack of meaningless quests.  This to me is the game's strongest point.  It just FEELS like everything you do has a fair degree of weight and your time is not wasted, even during simple 'kill 3 mobs' quests.  Which thankfully are only 'kill 3' instead of 'killl 20.'  Most of the mobs in this game will eat your lunch.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #112 on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:57 AM

I like the spectrum of references. It goes from 'makes my fiancee nod appreciatively' to 'makes my fiancee roll her eyes'.

Last night's eye roll: "Send More Cops", after explanation.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 23, 2012, 08:36:49 AM

I like how I turn into a zombie once the skillwheel pops up on my screen.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 23, 2012, 08:42:46 AM

In a blatant attempt to pad the length of the like thread ...

I really like the dungeons. A good amount of nice loot drops and the pacing in them is good, and some of the cutscenes are very nice too.

The fact that the setting is modern really helps with the cutscenes imo as it's far easier to empathize with the people dropped in the crapper rather than Ewok 23 being sad about the mushroom harvest.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #115 on: July 23, 2012, 08:48:45 AM

Ehh...what?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:11 AM

The fact that the setting is modern really helps with the cutscenes imo as it's far easier to empathize with the people dropped in the crapper rather than Ewok 23 being sad about the mushroom harvest.
I was thinking about this the other day when I was killing some stuff with (near, really) a guy named D-bag. In any other game I would've found him obnoxious, in this game he seemed to fit right in. Odd.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:59 AM

Ehh...what?

Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:12 AM

Me likewise. I see some guy wade into a pack that would destroy me, and turn them into sushi. Then I spend 30 minutes looking into setting up a different build.

My current sword/ar one is waaay better than my blood/pistol one.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #119 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:35 AM

I have liked the voice acting so far! That is important for a game with a lot of blah-blah, so good on 'em!

Even though I still find the skills and stuff sort of overwhelming, I think I like it? It's interesting, anyway! Still not a huge fan of the combat but I think once I'm used to it I'll like it alright.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #120 on: July 23, 2012, 11:34:58 AM

Haven't played very long, the things I like so far:

- The writing has been a pleasant surprise, I was guessing this was going to be one of those things where everyone says the writing was good but it turns out to be a terrible translation in English (Witcher 2). Instead it isn't bad at all.
- The voice acting is solid.
- The skill system (while a bit overwhelming to just dump on someone, and kind of poorly explained) is really neat.
- All the little references are a lot of fun.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:10 PM

One of us! One of us!  One of us! ZombieSigne
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:34 PM

Gooble gobble gooble gobble!!!!!   Cthulu

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: July 23, 2012, 01:36:25 PM

The dungeons. The bosses have mechanics usually reserved for end game stuff in other games, and the abslute lack of trash mobs is PRICELESS.

Also, the rewards are really good and the XP are awesome even when you are much higher than the intended level, encouraging you to go back and help your lower level friends.

Even if you usually don't like instances, don't skip them here. They are nothing like your usual mmorpg instances. Absolutely worth it. Try and see.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:41:54 PM by Falconeer »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #124 on: July 23, 2012, 02:19:45 PM

Is there a LFG tool? If not, I don't see me bothering with instances.  Heart

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 23, 2012, 02:26:13 PM

There is not, but usually when someone mentions running an instance an F13 group will get started relatively quickly (or that is how it worked when we had working custom chat channels for f13 across all factions Mob ) Now, I'd guess that if you ever wanted to then just message someone in one of the other B-Country cabals and ask them to put out the message for those interested in running/helping and it should still work somewhat easily still. Sucks, but it does work since there are enough F13 people playing usually, and best of all the dungeons are still good experience even when you completely outgear/outlevel them.

The silver lining to all that extra effort of messaging someone in the other cabals - the grups aren't pugs Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

They are definitely worth doing though, at least once or twice each while leveling imo
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 23, 2012, 02:30:48 PM

Map markers are a godsend for this. Just open the map, right-click and add a note. They're shared across characters too so you'll only have to do it once.

Repost from the 'dislike' thread as this feature is pretty awesome.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 23, 2012, 02:33:18 PM

Also each dungeon gives about 20AP the first time, and about 8AP every time you run it again.

It was VERY easy to start a dungeon when the f13 chat was functional. Hopefully it'll be back up with tomorrow's patch. That was almost as good as an LFG tool.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #128 on: July 23, 2012, 02:37:54 PM

Yeah that's part of the reason I'm assuming "no instances" for me, the chat being broken means I am pretty much playing in my own little bubble.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #129 on: July 23, 2012, 03:39:15 PM

I like how easy it is to see where you have to move to not stand in fire when you're fighting something. If doubletapping was a little more consistent for me as far as working goes, it would be pretty nice. Although at least in the newbie areas, the cast times are so long you can usually mosey out of the way in time anyway (which is good!).

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #130 on: July 23, 2012, 03:41:34 PM

Hopping backwards usually works the best for me. 

I've done all 3 of my instances through PUGs.  Only one was a complete disaster.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 23, 2012, 03:58:01 PM

The soundtrack.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #132 on: July 23, 2012, 04:19:48 PM

Hopping backwards usually works the best for me. 

Yeah, I usually jump backwards, that seems to be the most responsive for me.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 23, 2012, 05:09:14 PM

The higher level dungeons are very hard. Not sure I love that but while we're on the subject.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 23, 2012, 08:08:19 PM

The elites or nightmare? I haven't tried Nightmares, but elites were not really challenging (of the four I did, there was one change in Polaris where one boss needed a purge, the rest were the same and about as easy). Though, I didn't do the Trans dungeons yet.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #135 on: July 23, 2012, 08:35:50 PM

One thing I both like and dislike depending on how the fight went, boss fights in solo instances. From the ridiculous to the sublime.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #136 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:25 AM

THOR'S HAMMER

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:16 AM

The elites or nightmare? I haven't tried Nightmares, but elites were not really challenging (of the four I did, there was one change in Polaris where one boss needed a purge, the rest were the same and about as easy). Though, I didn't do the Trans dungeons yet.

I thought Hell Fallen was pretty hard. It may have been the group I was with. The Facility, the first dungeon in Transylvania, is hard.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #138 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:18 AM

I like my running animation, assuming I didn't just finish a combat by casting a spell (then I run like a spaz).

I like reading my lore pellets that I find out in the world, although I get a bit :(((((((((( when I realize I missed one somewhere oh god where is it. But it's a good :((((((((, I assure you.

I like my Dragon guy's boots and his silly hair.

I like my Dragon guy's sword/chaos tank build so far.

My Illuminati lady sets off my gaydar, I am not sure how I feel about that.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 24, 2012, 06:58:54 AM

I like my running animation, assuming I didn't just finish a combat by casting a spell (then I run like a spaz).
Are you sprinting between combats? Hitting X to sprint should take you out of combat animations, though I have been bugged once where I was running with the sprint animations but hadn't holstered my pistols, which was pretty funny.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Things you like  
Jump to: