Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Chern-R-Us, or As I walk through the valley of the shadow of zeds. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chern-R-Us, or As I walk through the valley of the shadow of zeds.  (Read 94848 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: June 15, 2012, 04:13:15 PM

At RK47s suggestion, I decided to journal my journey through Chernarus in Day Z for Arma2.

So, without further ado, the beginning.

Played for a few hours yesterday on a hardcore server with no reticles or third-person. Got a fever and the shakes, managed to headshot a few zeds and then ran out of food, ammo and water. Got desperate and ran up a mountain and found the ruin of an old keep, in which I found more ammo, a flashlight, a can of coke and some pasta. Of course, when I picked up the flashlight, I somehow lost my pistol, making my newfound ammo kinda useless. Then, in my somewhat desperate search for said pistol, I fell down the stairs of the keep and broke my leg. I crawled back to the top of the keep and camped.

This shit is bananas.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:56:53 PM

I just bought the game. Started in complete darkness. I think nailed around 8 zombies before I ran out of ammo and died in a gas station in the middle of nowhere.
I found a spare tire before dying. Let it be my tombstone.  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:45:11 PM

Tonight, some poor schmuck fell and broke his leg somewhere near Cherno. His friend went to find him some morphine so he could walk with the bad leg. His friend died. The guy then crawled from Cherno to Stary, somehow managing to avoid zeds and bandits the whole way. He runs into another guy there and asks if he has morphine. "No, the guy says, but my friends do and I'm going to meet them at the outskirts of town" Crawling guy follows new guy to his friends and one of them promptly shoots the crawler.

Bananas.

Day two, still getting used to the controls and finding the lay of the land, I make my way in to Cherno. I hear shots and drop to prone behind a building. I say in side channel, "Shots fired in Cherno, do you need assistance?" The reply comes back, "I'm hurt pretty bad and I can't steady my aim, but I think I got them all, I'm holed up in some sort of pub." I tell the guy to bandage himself if he needs to and take some painkillers. "Thanks, that helped". Having already scoped most of the pubs, I let him know that there's a M1911 and three mags of ammo in the back of the pub he's probably in. A couple of minutes later, he thanks me for the tip.

Looking for a few more things before I get the hell out of dodge, I run by the pub near the international hotel where I hear a couple of .45 shots. I ask the guy I helped earlier if he's shooting zombies near the hotel. "No", he replies, "I'm near some kind of warehouse", Maybe I should've pissed off sooner. In for a fucking penny, I run into one more pub, grab a couple of things and come back to the front where I see a guy in aviator sunglasses. What is it about douchebags and aviators? Doushebag lets fly with is .45 and I do the same. He wins and I start over near Elektro. I see in side channel another guy typed, "I just spawned in Elektro? Oh HELL no." His death is reported about five seconds later.

I make a run toward the fire station and find myself an AK74su and a frag grenade on a corpse. Useful shit. I make my way back to Cherno and pick up some of the stuff I'd lost. Another M1911 and some food. I'm about to get out of town when I hear bullets whiz by. I lean out of a doorway, see the guy coming and put two rounds in his head before he can get off another solid shot. One fucktard down. I head for the hills. At least, I think I do. I stop at the supermarket on the way out of town and find a body. Freshly killed, the guy that killed him is now moving to loot the body. He looks up and raises his weapon as I put two rounds in his head. "No more vics for you this life", I say in side channel. "Fuck you", is his reply.

As I finally make my way toward the edge of town, I take a bullet in the back. Bleeding, I duck into a shed. I bandage myself, lean out and return fire. The shooter hits me again and I duck back in, bleeding some more. I bandage myself once again. I managed to get the name of the guy shooting at me on my last lean out the door. Just as I finish bandaging, someone disconnects. "Fuckin' pussy disconnected before I could kill him," the guy shooting at me says, thinking the guy that dropped was me. "Does that disappoint you, perhaps make your game less fun, that you couldn't kill him?" I ask. "A little", he replies, "It's not fair that people can drop like that." As he walks in to the shed, I throw the grenade I found, killing us both and say, in the channel of the dead and the not-yet-to-be-connected, "Well, now you know how some of the people you kill for no reason feel, asshole." He wasn't exactly receptive to the feedback.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:59:28 AM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:46:28 PM

Today, I took a little trip to the Northwest airfield. Generally a dangerous journey, but I got up there no problem, using the cover of darkness as my friend. I'd found an Alice pack along the way and filled it with four water bottles, a ton of food, and a spare revolver, in case I ran out of ammo for my 1911. Of course, the best long arm I'd found up to this point was that M104, so I'm looking for anything better and headed to the military hardware promised land.

I make it through the forest, get up to the barracks and start searching, hoping not to make too much noise and let anyone else, alive or undead know I'm up there. The place has been completely cleaned out, not even an empty tin can to be found, somewhat discouraged, I start to move out toward the next set of buildings when I aggro a zed, i run back to the barracks and headshoot him as he comes through the door. The shot of course, brings more zeds and I end up taking out nine of them before they stop coming. Thinking the coast clear, I start to move out again, when I look back behind me into the barracks and notice gear has started to repop. Thinking it's a lucky break, I start going through the rooms looking for goodies. Out of the last door comes a guy who had apparently just logged in to the server in that room. He's just looted an M4 and he makes me his first victim with it.

Half an hour later, someone else takes him out and he complains rather verbosely in chat about how unfair it was, especially after he's gotten that shiny new M4. I laughed my ass off.

Since then, I managed to make my way back to the airfield one more time and pick up an M4 CCO, an M24 and a micro uzi. Now, let's see how long I can hold on to them...

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:48:03 PM

Shot my first non-zombie in anger today. Actually shot six of them.

Some guy was looking for help to get out of sticky zed situation as they had him pinned down in a supermarket. He manages to extract himself at the cost of all his enfield and .45 ammo. He then starts talking in side channel to a couple of other guys who are also in the same town, asking if they're friendly, etc... during this time, I've managed to get to the outskirts and I'm watching the situation through my sniper scope like the paranoid survivor I've now become. The "friendly" two guys meet up with the now ammo-less guy and promptly shoot him. One of them quips in side channel, "Protip, don't trust anyone in this game"

I put a .308 in both of their heads, plus a body shot into their buddy who was lurking on a nearby roof and say, on the same channel, "noted. Protip number two, don't be an unnecessary douche, you never know who's watching."

The guys I shot didn't take it too well. I told 'em I'd take the best of their gear and give it to the guy they shot.

One of them had a pair of NVGs. I kept those for myself.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:48:42 PM

M4s are fucking loud. Effective as fuck, but loud.

Hot off the heels of my douche killing a few nights back, I log in to: Chern-R-Us: Guglovo, day 2. I'm hungry and thirsty as hell. Camping out for a day-and-a-half can apparently do that to you. I un-shoulder the M24 and scope out the nearby town, half a dozen zeds milling about and no sign of any survivors. Throw back my last canteen and at least the thirst goes away. I need to get some food, town looks relatively safe, so I crab walk my way around the perimeter and ransack a house, looking for some food. Nothing, a bunch of empty cans, a heat pack and some Mak ammo. all pretty inedible. The hunger is starting to get to me now, my health is dropping steadily and my vision is starting to go to shit. Poke my head back out and see a nearby shed and edge my way to that, my hunger impaired vision means I missed the zed edging around the corner of the house I just ran out of. I sure as fuck hear him, and the shades of grey my vision has taken on flash into brilliant color every time the sumbitch hits me. I duck into the shed, turn around and let fly. Zed's dead, baby, zed's dead. But, My M4 brings all the zeds to the yard and his buddies follow and I empty a mag finishing off the added attention. Didn't kill enough of them, because as I'm trying to bandage myself, more walk in and finish me off before I can reload. Final score on this run, 124 dead zeds, seven dead bandits and one dead me.

Day 0, bean coast. Fucking Balota, of all places. I'm pissed but determined. I've managed to memorize a decent amount of the map at this point, so I scoot my ass over to the med camp and look for anything that'll at least give me a small edge as I try to head back up to Guglovo and try to reclaim my shit before anyone else finds it. The first thing I find is another player's corpse with, of all things, a PDW, three glock mags, a STANAG mag and an M24 mag. Really? Are the server gods taunting me? I grab what I can, pop a few zeds and head northeast, sticking to the treeline the whole way, avoiding the remnants of the major population centers. The server informs me that five people die during my journey. The server is lightly populated though, because I never see or hear signs of anyone else, the whole way. No chat, no flares, no gunshots. Eery. I find a deer stand along the way with three more STANAG mags and an M107 mag. What? There's a fucking .50 cal in this game? Holy shit. I grab the mag just in case. about a half hour and some wrong turns taken later, I find the shed where I died and make a beeline for it from the trees. I hit the shed and hear the familiar sound of flies over a corpse, duck in and there's my corpse with all my shit. I grab the pack and drop the Winchester I'd found along the way to pick up the M4 and then go into the ALICE pack to re-arrange some shit when I notice the FOUR FUCKING CANS OF FOOD I'd left in it.

Moral of the story, if you're going to log out for a couple of days, do a quick inventory when you log back in so you don't waste the better part of two hours on an unnecessarily dangerous and potentially fruitless corpse run.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:55 PM

Taking NIX's advice, I head toward Berezino, looking for a supressed weapon of some sort.

I travel by night, of course, because it's safer and not may people can see as well in the dark as I can. I stop to loot something and notice that my M24 is now missing from my ALICE pack. Fucking alphas. Now, instead of a sniper rifle and an M4, I've got two M4s and a lot of now, useless M24 ammo. Bleh. At the outskirts of BZ, I notice zeds already milling about, somebody beat me to it. I hit the soccer field first and find fuck all, but a couple of cans of beans. Since I was running out of food anyway, this isn't a bad thing. I then crouch walk and crawl my way to the nearby apartments, still not much. I do, however find a set of civilian clothing. Whoever else is in town has been here and found either camos or a ghillie suit. I also find a box of matches, ensuring that as long as I find animals to kill, I no longer have to head into towns to forage for food. Good shit. I look out the window and see ghillie suit now rifling through the supermarket across the street. I sneak out and around the long way and into the back of the supermarket. He knows I'm somewhere nearby, because he's taken up camp and is looking out the front of the supermarket for me, crouched in front of the freezers, enfield at the ready. Apparently, he didn't find any decent weapons either.

I think a bit about dropping him, even going so far as lining his head up in the ACOG of the M4. I then turn around and head out, leaving the spare M4 at the doorway between the front and back of the supermarket. Once I'm back at the tree line, I say in side channel, "Hey ghillie in the supermarket in BZ, watch your six. I could've dropped you while you were facing the wrong way. Also, that firing that Enfield in the middle of town like that will get your ass killed. Thanks for the civvie clothes, I left you a gift too, in the back of the market. it's up to you to find ammo for it." "Holy shit!", the guy replies a few minutes later, thanks for that. And thanks for not killing me."

It amazes me that only a week ago, I was that guy. Now I retreat back to my hideout somewhere between Ostry and Black Mountain.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:57:54 AM by Surlyboi »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:13 AM

Enjoying this!
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 06:21:19 PM

gimme some basic trip bro? The engine's worse than i thought, extremely clunky - i am really at pain trying hard not to blame the engine, but starting with a pistol with no reticule is going to be incredibly hard when the zombies ran in zig zag pattern. So I snuck around - cuz i kept running out of ammo. But I seem to be getting no better gun salvage. Only finding some spare food etc. Maybe I'm just unlucky or need to head to bigger towns?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 09:25:45 PM

Drop to your knees and right click, which will bring up iron sights.

Failing that, look for non-hardcore servers where you can actually see a reticle, that can make a huge difference.

If you want better guns on the bean coast, you're gonna have to risk towns like Cherno and Electro. Cherno will generally net you maybe .45s and shotguns. Electro may get you the occasional assault rifle. but only if you hit the power stations.

Honestly, I'd head up to Berezino and see if there's anything in the military camps, just watch out for the zeds.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:11:21 AM

I put a .308 in both of their heads, plus a body shot into their buddy who was lurking on a nearby roof and say, on the same channel, "noted. Protip number two, don't be an unnecessary douche, you never know who's watching."
bad ass

"Me am play gods"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:58 AM

Day three: Black Mountain. Logged in today to find almost all my M4 ammo and three of my canteens gone. Hell of a welcome back, Chernarus. Not as annoying as putting on a ghillie suit and then logging back in in the middle of the ocean with all my shit gone, but still inconvenient nonetheless. This situation pretty much forces my hand to head back in toward some civilization center and replenish my supply of STANAG mags and grab another couple of canteens. A situation I'm not completely happy about, considering the fact that should I die, it'll be a bitch getting back to my corpse in the pitch black the night is becoming now that we're getting closer to a new moon. I weigh the pros and cons of heading to either Kraznostav or back to BZ. Krazno is fairly close to the Northeast airfield, and probably a haven for bandits, and low on ammo as I am, a firefight of any sort probably won't go in my favor. BZ on the other hand is still probably less populated by the human element, but will be stocked with zeds. All things considered, I'll take the zeds.

Someone laments the darkness in side channel, I find I can't reply as the option to talk in side channel is suddenly missing for me. Oh well, one less distraction, I guess.

I make my way South and then East, first into Khelm to hit the well there and replenish water supplies and then back to the treeline and south by southwest in a circuitous route that follows the receding treeline near BZ. The military camp, as always, is full of zeds. After sitting with eyes glued to the binoculars for 15 minutes, making sure the coast is clear of bandits; I crouch run and crawl my way through to there, only to aggro a random straggler. With the jig now officially up, I make a break for one of the tents and crouch there, waiting for the zed to make his way to the entrance where I can put him down. The shot that takes him out, of course, riles up other nearby zeds and I shoot two more before a third warps through the tent and starts hitting me from behind. I wheel around and put him down as well, but not before he knocks a healthy chunk out of me. I consider myself lucky he didn't knock me out as I start to bandage. There's still more agitated zeds out there, so I toss a smoke grenade and watch the bastards run at it, then use the opportunity to search the rest of the tents. An M240 and some ammo are there and useless to me for all the noise they'd make. Too much bang for the buck. Still no suppressed weapons, dammit. I do manage to snag a couple of mags for the M4 though, so not a completely useless trip.

After cleaning out the tents, I head for the nearby apartments. Not a whole lot of anything, but I do find another couple of canteens and cans food. Time to beat a retreat back to the honeycomb hideout. Someone else asks in side channel who's shooting in Cherno. He dies roughly two minutes later. The next thing I see from him is, "shit, no gun or food. At night. This sucks." He's right.

Tomorrow, maybe I'll head toward Devil's Castle. Sooner or later, I'm gonna die. Might as well see as much as I can before that happens.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 02:57:35 PM

New patch, new problems.

I logged in today and was unable to pick up or keep anything. After trying multiple servers and hitting a few forums, I find out that there are a few Arma patches that I'm missing too, so I go download those.

Aaaand boom. I find myself in the staging area the server puts you before putting you in game. There are people here, both alive and dead. I'd heard about this place and I'd heard sometimes more than one person ends up there and is able to move, so I warily wander around, keeping an eye on all the people that are standing and inspecting the dead. I find a couple of those suppressed weapons I'd been looking for, but being respectful for the limbo dead, I leave them alone. I find a couple of newbs who have not yet spawned in and leave little surprises in their patrol packs. Some cooked meat here, a STANAG mag there. I've turned into the gear fairy. I hope that whenever they do spawn in, the stuff is still in their packs.

I've heard that the only way to get out of debug plains is to log out and log back in so I try that. Several times. All to no avail. I log in one last time and hear the familiar sound of a .45 being fired into my back. Awesome. Some asshole has just made himself king of the graveyard. I knew I was gonna go out, I figured it would be less ignominious than that. I congratulate the back shooter on his short-lived gains and I respawn.

Day 0, Krutoy Cap. Hey, they named a place after my high school physics teacher! I'm sure he's proud. Now I'm asked if I want to be a male or female, I choose male and continue. No gun, no food. Painkillers, a bandage and a bag. Let's see how this goes...

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 05:52:29 PM

I've found success literally running my way out of the debug plains.  Just head east-southeast for about fifteen minutes, should start to see trees and pop out on the west side of Chernarus.  I'm assuming the way they work hasn't changed in the last couple of patches.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 10:30:24 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 11:54:02 AM

Day 0, Solnichniy I find a crossbow and three bolts in a barn on the outskirts of town. First weapon in this new, weaponless starter world. I attempt to head further into town, inching in to the quarry and getting a lay of the land. Three or four zeds prowl the most promising looking buildings. I edge in a bit more and alert one of them, high-tailing it back to the shed in the quarry, a put a bolt in his head and then start in again. A crawler then notices me and I back up a bit and put a bolt in his face as well. There're ups and downs to the crossbow, the silence is golden, but the retrieval of bolts can get dicy. So far, I've been able to pull them all back.

I see a break in the pattern of zombie rambling and roll in to the first building where I find a pile of absolutely nothing. I sneak over to the empty work shed and more of the same, zilch but empty cans. I'm starting to get hungry...

As I'm walking across the catwalk in the top of the work shed, I see another survivor, prone and rolling past the entrance. I take aim, but don't fire, as I hear him say, "Just passin' through bro, don't shoot me, I've got nothing." I wish him good hunting and give him a status report on the big pile of nothing I've found here. As I'm making my exit for the cover of the nearby trees, I attract the attention of another shambler. He shrieks and starts running in my direction, so I make a break back for the quarry shed, where I see another guy trying to sneak in the side door. The zed makes and end-around and hits this new guy instead of me. I tell him to duck and put a bolt in zed's dome. "FRIENDLY! FRIENDLY! U FRIENDLY?" the guy types frantically in local. "Yeah", I reply. "If I wasn't, I would've let that zombie finish you." I help him bandage up, then I tell him to watch his ass and head north, looking to get lucky in BZ.

I look back a few minutes later, and new guy is following me. I tell him if he's gonna follow me that he should stay really close and don't do anything that I don't do. "OK", he says and we crouch run as quickly and quietly as we can from treeline to treeline. We come up on some barns outside of Nizhnoye and search them for supplies, still coming up empty save for some Winchester ammo and a couple of hunting knives. Well, that's a start. We score some matches and we can at least hunt for something and cook it. We get into a routine after a bit of traveling, where I'll take cover in a structure and he'll draw in any wandering zeds to me so I can put them down in a controlled environment. It works pretty well, and we manage to put away about 25 of them in this manner.

We find an Enfield in a stable, but no ammo. Not necessarily a bad thing, considering how loud the damn things are.

It's as we're making a break into Nizhnoye proper that shit starts to go pear-shaped. New guy manages to attract a zed, and then two and we're nowhere near a building to herd them into. One of them manages to hit him and start him bleeding. We're out of bandages, so if we don't find something to stop the bleeding quickly, he's a goner. "Farewell, my friend", he says.
"You're not fucking dying on me man," I shoot back, as I waste a bolt missing the one of the zeds chasing us. I manage to headshoot them with the two remaining bolts, but am only able to recover one of them. By this time, new guy's down to about half blood. We run for the nearest building and frantically search it, finding nothing at all, I'm up on a higher floor, when I see the now all-too-common message in the corner that new guy has died. Fuck.

I then notice that that frantic run attracted a couple more zeds and they're now roaming in the building. I line up a shot on one and put it down. That was my last bolt, so I can't reload until I retrieve it. This means running around the room until the other zed is far enough away that I can pull it out of his buddy's body. I get him far enough away and then make a beeline for the bolt, hoping it's still there and hasn't glitched and disappeared. It hasn't. I pull it, reload and put down number two.

I go back to newbie's corpse, say a prayer and rifle through his pockets. I grab the winny ammo and move on.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 08:07:31 PM

I weigh my options and head southwest, figuring that if these latest survivor encounters are the norm, eternal optimist that I am,I might actually have a shot a scoring at least some supplies in Elektro. I wasn't exactly right, as I sneak around to the northeastern portion of the city and into the stationhouse, I notice that while weapons may not be exactly plentiful, apparently razor wire is. Someone has lined a bunch of it along the entrance to the tower. I think I hear that person sneaking around upstairs. Actually, I know I hear him. I hear him falling, actually. He's managed to somehow fall off the roof and die. I circle out and around to his body and loot it. Makarov, four mags, some cans of food, more razor wire, a ghillie suit and a double-barreled shotgun. Not a bad all.

I recon the area a little more and then run afoul of what may be the fall guy's buddy, sneaking around the gate. He's armed with an MP5SD6 and he opens fire as he rounds the corner.  I get a shot off with the shotgun but fail to kill him before I go down. It's alright though, the shotgun has attracted the nearby zombies and I'm pretty sure his death was the one reported a few seconds after mine.

Balota. Too far from Elektro to try to make a run for my gear or the other guy's, I figure I'll try my luck at the airfield. I sneak around to the tower and manage to attract the attention of more than a couple of zombies, simply by the sound. Someone else has set up razor wire here too, but not as well and I can sort of edge around it. Not before getting tagged a couple of times and bleeding a lot. I manage to distance myself a bit by getting up the stairs and find an AK-74su up in the top of the tower. I get back down and take out the zeds. By the time I bandage myself, blood's down to about 4k and the world is drifting in and out of focus. I creep back out and walk warily around to the first hangar, managing not to attract any more attention, undead or alive. In the back of the hangar, I find a can of food and a canteen. Near the entrance, I find an MP5 and three mags. It's quieter than the AK, so I swap out for it and swing out of the hangar into the other. It's here that I find the DMR. I weigh my options and grab it anyway, leaving the MP5. Hope spring eternal that I'll find enough food or blood bags and an obliging survivor to help me out and steady my aim enough to use the damn thing.

I sneak back out of the airfield and head Northeast. Once I'm up the nearby hill and safely in the treeline, I turn and look back down toward the little farm outside the airfield. I catch sight of movement out the corner of my eye and see another survivor running in my direction. I scope the rifle and get his name and distance, about 360 meters out. The view's fuzzy, but I see he's not alone, the shambling shapes around him aren't other survivors and he's not shooting at them, so I figure he's got no guns. I take a chance and start shooting at the less frantic-looking shapes. One shot, a zed goes down. I take a quick look around, making sure I didn't raise any more attention and then get back to work. Eight shots, six zeds total, no murders. I make my way down to the survivor but he bleeds out before I can get to him. Shit, that's two guys I couldn't save. I weigh the possibilities of our positions being reversed, figure the poor bastard may have just shot me rather than the zeds, so I loot the body and head back up the hill. I decide to make my way toward Zelenogorsk. Maybe I'll find some more gear on the way.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 08:13:44 PM

Love Letters

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:15:53 PM

Great stuff. I should really log my permanoob experiences. Spawned in the wilderness with loads of gear. Dropped my map. I let El Kiddo run me towards anything at all. She insisted that I murder a goat. She the wasted the rest of a clip trying to shoot a butterfly.

Respawned with nothing at Cap Whatever. Logged out on top of a lighthouse. Current gear: bandage, morphine, beans.

Unless I manage to get lucky and find a server with daylight, I would imagine that tonight's play attempts will be full of yakking sax in the darkness.

It's just not as compelling as your retelling.  

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 01:03:53 PM

Great stuff. We should really hook up some time.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 09:09:29 PM

I'm always looking for backup.

Day 1: Bor. My vision is still blurry as hell. I have to hold my aim for three to five seconds before I can get a bead on a target. And forget anything outside of the scope. I painstakingly pop the wanderers I see from the treeline and then head in. I recon the area and find a corpse. A lot of my problems are suddenly solved. It's fairly easy to see how he died. The Enfield he's got a death grip on pretty much says it all. He popped off and brought every zeke in town down on him. Shoulda gone with the revolver he was also packing. He's got an ALICE pack, eight cans of food, some soda and a decent assortment of other stuff. The only thing i'm missing now is a compass and hunting knife.

I eat until I can see a little more clearly and then make my move toward Zelno, making sure to angle my way out of the paths of wandering undead. I make it to the outskirts of Zelno and scout the town through my scope. I catch sight of a guy rummaging around in the supermarket. His only weapon looks to be a hatchet. I like the odds in a gun vs hatchet fight and figure he'll see discretion as the better part of valor and not do anything stupid if he sees me.

Never underestimate the stupidity of survivors. I come in straight through his line of sight. He sees me and heads directly toward me, hatchet at the ready and he actually swings. I air out his skull with a little vitamin .45 and then roll into the supermarket and prepare for the horde. Who the fuck swings an axe at a heavily armed opponent who could've dropped him before he even knew there was someone there? Seven zeds in and I notice my gun isn't the only one making noise. I look around and see another guy with a double-barrel doing his part to clear the zombies. Together, we finish the rest of the group and then take stock. I salute him and he returns the gesture. I tell him the dead guy with the axe came at me and I had to put him down and we both wonder at the thought process that made him go Ashe on me.

I claim a hunting knife, give shotgun guy all the shotgun ammo that was in the ALICE pack. He says he wants to head toward the airfield and asks if I want to join. I politely decline and wish him good hunting and tell him to watch not just his six, but pretty much every other number on the dial. We salute again and head for opposite parts of the town. Trust is still not exactly a given in Chernarus.

While all this was going on, I count five separate deaths accorded to three different people, marking 15 in total. Either these guys formed some sort of fucked up suicide pact or they're just really unlucky. I make my exit from Zelenogorsk and plot my next move. The radio tower's close, maybe I'll head there tomorrow...

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:55 AM

Popcorn

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 09:11:57 AM

This really makes me want to try out this game.  Awesome work, Surli.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:10 AM

I also enjoy this.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:02 AM

I air out his skull with a little vitamin .45

Heart    awesome, for real

This is highly entertaining Surly, thanks for taking the time to write it up :)

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 09:34:46 PM

This really makes me want to try out this game.  Awesome work, Surli.

I kept reading all his stuff n bought the game. Started at night. Something bit me. Something.....Aieeee!
I'm not cut out for this survival game, but really, dying without accomplishing much is a given.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 05:32:21 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys, being able to relate this to you all makes the suckful parts less...suckful.

I log in to a pitch black server. It's right about the new moon and it's dark as fuck. I really miss those NVGs now. I root around for a bit to see if it's just the place I logged out, which was thick with cover, but after walking for minutes, I notice it doesn't get much lighter. I check my watch and see that it's about 11PM, which means it's gonna be this dark for a looong time. I realize I might be eaten by a Grue and log out to find another server.

Daylight. A little after 8AM, according to the watch. Better, brighter. I continue my journey toward the radio tower with no idea what I'll find there. Back in the days before they disabled side channel, I'd heard some people talking about rumors that it was the source of the zombie outbreak. Superstitious bullshit of course, but hey, color me intrigued. Thinking of intriguing shit, I'm remember that I wanted to go check out Devil's Castle at some point too. With my luck, I'll probably find it populated by Christopher Ecclestone and a bunch of horny, laddish soldiers.

Shaking that vision out of my head, I continue on to the tower. It's really hard to miss, sitting on top of Green Mountain. It juts above the trees and stands out against the sky like some zombie infested Isengard. I creep in and make my way through the outside buildings. There's a lot of military build up here and a mass grave. Looks like some sort of last stand was made here. As I duck into the tower proper, my connection drops and I'm kicked back the the lobby. Fucking alphas.

I try logging back onto that server and fail, so I try a different one and get in, hoping it's daylight there. I get stuck at the loading screen and have to force quit. I try another couple and get booted due to some Battleye glitch. Fucking alphas. I finally find a server that lets me on and I seem to be loading. I get a scary temporary view of dead players in the debug plains and then back to the loading screen. Before the blackness goes away, I hear shotgun fire. As I complete the login, I'm face-to-face with a fucktard with an M870 and he's shooting me as I log in. I manage to get a shot off and see him start to bleed before I die. As I die, I get a message that I've been killed by friendly fire.

I'm welcomed by the "You Are Dead" screen and go through the motions of logging back in. Elektrozavodsk. Fuck, I hate this town. About 15 seconds later, there's a message that the guy that shot me has been killed. Karma's a bitch, motherfucker. I weigh my options and figure my chances of surviving out in the wilderness without weapons or gear are as shitty as my chances of surviving a gear run through Elektro, so I try to make my way along the outskirts and run afoul of a bunch of zeds. I make a break for it, zig-zagging between buildings and trying not to aggro more. I notice that my pathing has significantly slowed them down and have time to bandage myself in a shed. I also find a crowbar. At least I've got something to defend myself with now. The guy that killed me on login dies again. I laugh a little at his misfortune.

I sneak out of the shed and head for the nearby power station. It's been looted of almost everything, of course. I do find some useless glow sticks and flares. I hear flies, so I make a circuit around the place looking for the corpse. This leads me up to the roof, where I see a lone zed practically sprinting toward the power station. He starts to climb the ladder and I climb higher and wait. He then climbs back down the ladder and tries to come the other way. The AI of these things is truly baffling. I climb back down to the outside and the zed rounds the corner. I swing my trusty crowbar and... it's absolute shit. The damage is so bad, it makes the baby Gordon Freeman cry. I swing away for about 30 seconds before z-boy takes his final dirt nap and I'm once again bleeding. Also, I've got a broken leg now. And no morphine. Awe. Some. I bandage up and start crawling toward the church. Looted. I make my way toward the supermarket. Looted. Office building? You get the fucking pattern. I harken back to the days when you started off with a morphine auto-injectorand shake a virtual fist. Fuck you and your hardcore merit badge, Rocket. Fuck you. The guy that shot me dies two more times while I'm conducting my fruitless search. How the fuck did that dick axe make it all the way up to Green Mountain before?

I figure it's time to have some dinner so I log off in the office and try to figure out my next move. I'll probably have to raid the hospital across the street. Yeah, I'm running the risk of logging back in to another shotgun to the face, but fuck it. I can't walk and my best weapon sucks. It's a wash.

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 03:18:15 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys, being able to relate this to you all makes the suckful parts less...suckful.

Well, rocket has referred to Day Z as an anti-game; that his goal is to trigger genuine emotion (as opposed to "fun"), and for this mod of a sandbox milsim to cause its players to create their own stories, especially in relation to each other. So... emergent less-suckfullness by design.

And thanks for the radicalthon, it's a pleasure to read  awesome, for real
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 09:15:10 PM

Well, to be fair, I'm generally drunk when I'm playing and writing these.  awesome, for real

Day 1, Elektrozavodsk I log in and it's still dark as hell and raining. Some noob has run around tossing flares. Fun. At least it helps me see a little bit. At least at street level. I crawl my ass out and over to the hospital and drag myself to the ladder. I'm not sure if the crowbar will break the glass and on top of that, I'm not sure if breaking the glass will alert the zeds. So, I do something equally stupid. I climb up the ladder. I get to the first floor roof and it's now pitch black as the light from the flares doesn't reach up here. I hear the flies around a body, but I can't see it and the janky way the game shows you there's lootable stuff is made even jankier by the fact that I CAN'T FUCKING WALK. Fuck it. I find the ladder higher up and I climb that too. I crawl over to the little tower on the roof and find myself face-to-box with some medical supplies. Finally. I open it up and... four boxes of tylenol. The fates are fucking with me.

I climb up the last ladder, in hopes of finding another box of supplies at the tip top and find nothing. While rooting around in the dark on the little precipice, I find out the hard way that there's no lip to the ledge and fall to the waiting arms of the deadly ground below. At least I'll be able to walk now. I log out and find another server.

Day 0, Solnichniy. I decide for shits and giggles to choose a female skin to see if it changes my luck. Karma's been a bitch to me too lately, maybe if I change the way I look, I can fool the fates for a while. Though, with all the good shit I've done for other players, I should be spawning with a full set of military gear, complete with coyote pack. Of course, that doesn't happen. Anyway, I'm out the southwestern outskirts, so I figure I'll head toward BZ, as I've had decent luck there. It's early morning and the sun is just coming up, so it's not super dark, but not super light and the zed population is relatively low. Of course, that doesn't stop me from aggroing a zed once I get to BZ and then making a frantic run to the hills. I test some of the geometry as I go and climb over small walls which works to slow 'ol Zeke down for a couple of seconds, but probably pisses him off. I finally manage to shake him at the top of a hill. Walking up hills seems to be their greatest weakness.

I make a winding return to the general area and find a deer stand. I crawl around to it and find an AK-74su and three mags. A shitton better than a crowbar. I move a little closer to town and make my way to the machine shed just north of the apartments. There's a zed in there. I light him up. The sound of the AK of course, brings more of the undead. I dispatch them as well and then check out the little building outside. In there, I find a hatchet. The hatchet, unlike its crowbar cousin is not a complete shit show when being used in melee. I drop the AK in the machine shed and head south toward the apartments. I alert a couple of zeds and dispatch them quickly and quietly with the hatchet. I then sneak my way down into the apartments and supermarket. I find that you can move crouched and not attract a lot of attention if you're simply walking.

In the apartments, I find a revolver and a bunch of food, so much that I have to start getting choosy with what I take because I haven't found a bigger pack. That changes once I get down to the supermarket, wherein I find not one, but three ALICE packs, along with an equal number of matchboxes and canteens. I don't want to be too greedy, so I take one of the boxes of matches and all of the water bottles, the ALICE and get out. Figuring my luck has held so far, why not try to scout the camp at the soccer field? I make a wide way around, alternating between walking and hiding, realizing I'm a huge sniper target, even if the zekes can't detect me. Queasy feeling, actually. I make it down to the soccer field and find four tents full of fuck all. Well, there was one with zombies in it, but they didn't drop a goddamn thing either.

Thinking about my last morphine-less outing and seeing how quiet BZ has been so far, I make one more break into the city and head to the hospital to grab some supplies. I use the axe to break the windows and lo, and behold, nothing gets alerted. I run in, grab some blood bags, morphine and epipens and then swing around to the second supermarket just behind the hospital. Some asshole has placed a tank trap in the main entrance and razor wire across all the back doors, preventing anyone from getting in. Fucksticks.

I get out while the getting's good, circle back to the machine shed, aggro a few zeds on the way in and dispatch them quietly with the hatchet, one of them breaks a leg. Lucky for me, I got those morphine injectors. I heal up, grab the AK and head north. My blood's at about 9k at this point. I think about going back to my old hideout near black mountain or maybe Devil's castle like I've been saying for about a week now. Then I decide to keep pushing my luck and head for the northeast airfield outside of Krasnostav and see what I can find. I never get there.

I head what I thing is east-northeast and end up in a town that I think may be Krasnostav, until I notice it's too small and there's no airfield directly north of it. I circle around and find out I've gotten to Dubrovka. I need to pay more attention to the compass. Considering Dubrovka is a straight shot down along the road from Krasno, I start heading north using the road loosely as a guide. The entire time i've been doing this, I've been seeing too many of the same names being reported as killed. It kinda makes me want to hop on some channel and implore them to stop dying so much.

I veer away from the road a bot to keep from becoming a target and then get totally fucking lost. I try to get my bearing using landmarks and think I may be due east of the airfield. I turn and head in that direction for a bit when I notice something odd. I turn off my course again and investigate. What I find is a large collection of tents surrounded by tank traps and razor wire, along with an assortment of vehicles, all in working order. I sneak around to the entrance of the camp and start rifling through the tents.

Oh. Holy. Shit. In this little, highly defensible encampment, I find pretty much every weapon that can be found in Chernarus. I wondered if there was an actual M107 in the game? Yeah, these guys have stockpiled three of them. This must be some clan or survivor group's login/logout point. It's full of so much gear. Shit I've never seen before in game. Not just weapons, everything. I'd never seen antibiotics in the game before now, they've got a pile of 40 in one tent. It must have taken weeks if not months to amass this much stuff. I quickly and nervously take stock of all the stuff that's stockpiled here,expecting one of the residents to log in and blow me away any second now. I then grab a bunch of food and the remaining gear I'm missing. Hunting knife, binoculars, NVGs (they had five sets) an M9SD, an M4A1SD, and a DMR. I eat until I'm back at full health. The first time I've ever been this well equipped and this healthy in this game. I quickly make my escape and head back to black mountain to hide out for a bit and plan my next move. Right now, I've got all the time in the world. And all that stuff I said about karma shitting on me? I take it back.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:32:22 PM by Surlyboi »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 03:05:48 PM

Day 2, Gvozdno With my newfound gear and attitude, I'm ready for anything. I've also decided that while I've got this significant leg up on a lot of people, just surviving isn't enough. No more just hiding out. I'm going to head to some noob hotbeds and see if I can even the odds a bit for them.

But first, a side trip to the Northeast airfield. I'm in the area, might as well hit it. I scout the area and see no signs of activity other than a ram, two goats and a cow and head in. Zeds pop as I get close and I headshhot a few as I sneak in. All I manage to find is an M1014 and some ammo for it in one of the hangars. I head over to the tower and find someone's been there with razor wire. There are also two zeds in the tower and they're pissed. I put them down and head in. Bupkis. 20 minutes and a mag of M9SD ammo I'll never get back.

I kill a cow and cook it up and then head south. Five steaks, a still decent amount of ammo and an attitude un-dampened by the sudden thunderstorm and fruitless trip to the airfield are going with me.

Somewhere between Guglovo and Mogilevka, I find a helicopter wreck. The song "luck be a lady" starts playing in my head. I dispatch the wandering zombies and move in. I get a message that someone named "Iamalive" was killed. I chuckle. In the wreckage, I find another DMR, an M4A3CCO and ammo for both. Any other time I'd be jumping for joy, now I'm just considering how much SD ammo I used getting to stuff I already have. Yeah, I'm an ungrateful fucker now.

"Iamalive" dies again. Not as funny this time or the next three times it happens as I make my way down to the treeline outside of Elektro. I see someone running from zeds toward the power station when shots ring out. Someone in the tower's got a CZ550 and he's helping the running guy. The zeds fall around him and he stops running, trying to bandage himself. One more shot rings out from the CZ and he goes down as well. Sonuvabitch.

I break the DMR out of the ALICE pack and sight the tower. CZ is moving down the stairs, presumably to loot the corpse of the guy he just shot. I end him before he can get to the body. I scope the area looking for any backup CZ might have had and then make my way to both corpses. On CZ's, I take all his ammo and the can of beans he had. I then deposit the beans and some meat on the corpse of the runner. I then retreat back to the treeline and wait. I kill a few zeds that mill around the power station, preventing another survivor from getting in. He runs for cover, waiting for the shot that might kill him. When it doesn't come, he moves into the power station and looks for stuff. CZ guy never does come back, neither does his victim. I see reports of both of their deaths a couple of times, so I retreat back deeper into the woods and log out.

Tomorrow, Cherno and Balota, I think. 

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 04:13:00 PM

Love Letters :Popcorn:

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 12:14:22 AM

Day 2, Elektrozavodsk. I head west toward Cherno and Balota. I find a wild boar at the top of Pik Kozlovo and turn it into bacon. Sweet, sweet bacon. I head further west and bypass Cherno and head straight to the airfield, figuring I'll scout the area for assholes and maybe grab some more ammo before heading back to the hill outside of Cherno. Coast clear, I head down toward the tower and check it out. Empty. My connection starts to go to shit, but not before I proceed over to the first hangar and find an M1014 and ammo for it. Pass. My connection gets worse and then I think I see why, a bus goes careening down the runway, crashes into some debris and explodes. A lone survivor bolts away from it. Red link and server drop.

I connect to another server, on this one, it's daylight. I move further into the back of the hangar and find a can of food and some bandages, as I turn around, I see someone come running around the corner with two zekes in tow. I swing to sight mode and pop the trailing one. The runner who has no visible weapons, then turns 180 and heads back toward the exit and hangs a left. I drop the other zed and then say in local, "You ok man? Need assistance?".  No answer. I walk out slowly, so as not to attract the attention of any other zeds that he may have agitated. No other zeds, but I'm still walking slowly because I don't know if there are any out of range. Then, I get shot. Mother. Fucker. I make a run for the tower, get hit again, luckily, whoever this is is a shitty shot. I aggro a zed on the way in, turn around and put three rounds center mass and then consider dropping the M4. Instead, I head up to the second floor and bandage and then wait. I hear movement down below. Not wanting to get sandwiched like I had in the past, I drop a frag grenade below and bolt upstairs. One down. I get to the top of the tower expecting a bullet breakfast. I'm not disappointed, but then, neither is the other guy.

Day 0, Cherno. I'm close enough to Balota to make a run for it. Of course, I'm on the eastern side of Cherno, so I need to make an end-around to get there. On the way, I find an Enfield. As I'm passing through the apartments trying to get out of town without aggroing any zeds, I spot a guy on the roof of one of the apartments. I then see his buddy running around on the second floor, presumably, looking for weapons. I know they've seen me and they know I've seen them. I don't want to discharge the Enfield unnecessarily in an area thick with zekes, so I do a crabwalk dance, doing my best to keep both the zombies and these two added elements in view.

Suddenly, one of them has a zombie on his tail and he's running toward me, brandishing an axe. I shoot the zombie chasing him and he hits me with the axe. So much for being the better person. The Enfield is hard to maneuver with him right on top of me, so I fruitlessly take a shot and then back up, trying to get distance. Both of us are bleeding heavily now and the zombies are starting to swarm. I'm still a bit agog that anyone would do something that stupid. I'm hit with the axe again and something breaks, I'm now stuck in crawl mode and I know it's a done deal. I fire off a few more rounds trying to attract as many zeds as I can before I die.

Cherno again. Almost the same place I spawned last time. I've got nothing now but a burning desire to get these guys swarmed with as many zeds as possible. The thoughts of my gear in the airfield a distant memory. I sprint straight on through the middle of town, making as much noise as possible. I pick up a train of zeds that's reminiscent of Karnor's Castle back in the old EQ days. And I run in straight into these two who are still lurking around the apartments. I don't manage to kill either of them before I go down, but that wasn't the point.

Elektro: Apparently, side channel still works on this server and one of the jackasses chooses this particular moment to thank me for the Enfield. I wish him well with it, even though there's almost no ammo left for it as they used most of it to fend off the zed train. He then tells me he hopes I learned my lesson to shoot first. And I tell him that's a stupid way to play. While this back and forth is going on, I make my way around to the power station and loot an AK74 and some ammo. More effective than the Enfield and not quite as loud. After being called stupid, his friend chimes in with, "Well, you'd better not mess with us again, I've got a grenade", I reply, "I didn't mess with you in the first place, you're the jackasses that made a dead run at me with an axe. The only reason I ran at you the second time was to make you use up the ammo and supplies you just looted." They then go into some very typical 12-year-old internet tough guy posturing and I then tell them they'll grow up to be lonely, bitter old men that miss the point of life. By this time, the whisky has worn off and I'm tired of arguing with idiots, so I wish the rest of the server a happy survival and I log out. The last thing I see is one of the tough guys going, "Good night, I guess." I think I may have broken his brain.

I need another sniper rifle.

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 05:39:35 AM

Emergent more-suckfulness!
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 05:44:39 AM

Well, you're alone. I understand your principle, but ...yeah. For me. I haven't killed anyone yet...but I don't play long enough to justify being a nice guy. If the dude looks like he just spawned in a new beach of sorts, I won't touch him. But in looting areas...I'm not taking chances. >_<

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 12:12:31 PM

Call me Don Quixote tilting at windmills, but I'm still generally not gonna shoot first. Suckfulness be damned. If you're an asshole and I see you being an asshole or you shoot at me and don't finish the job, I'm going to put you down hard, but I'm still not going to take the first shot because that way madness lies.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Chern-R-Us, or As I walk through the valley of the shadow of zeds.  
Jump to: