Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 394009 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #490 on: September 27, 2014, 08:34:08 PM

I bought on PS3 only because I plan on getting a PS4 at xmas once this semester is over.  They're allowing PS3 to PS4 account conversions at no charge until Jan 15, 2015.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

It's on 4 systems: 360; One; PS4; PS3.  PC next year.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: September 27, 2014, 09:33:08 PM

Has PC actually been confirmed somewhere?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #493 on: September 27, 2014, 10:10:18 PM

That's why the graphics aren't as impressive as they could be.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #494 on: September 27, 2014, 10:53:49 PM

This game is really good.

I'm using a keyboard+mouse adapter on PS4 and rolling around with a handcannon and a sniper rifle.

You using XIM4?

No, a Cronus MAX - www.controllermax.com

My PC is right next to my PS4 so it just pipes that to the controls and does the translation.

How does that work? You need a PC plugged into the dongle as well as the PS4 at the same time?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:24 PM

Yea. PC > Dongle via cable, PS4 Controller > Dongle via cable, Dongle > PS4. They've all gotta be close.

schild
Administrator

Reply #496 on: September 27, 2014, 11:26:04 PM

Or you can just buy this: http://xim4.com/
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #497 on: September 28, 2014, 01:50:28 AM

Yeah, I was looking at that one earlier. The other one needing to be hooked up to a PC means it's not an option.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #498 on: September 28, 2014, 07:42:43 AM

I get disconnected about twice an hour, makes the game mostly unplayable.  So now I have to diagnose this crap.

Same mileage a friend of mine gets (he's on Rogers in Canada), but I'm on Comcast in Texas and don't get the disconnects.  We're both on PS3's.  I've had one disconnect -- due to my partner logging in with my PSN account on our other PS3. Game booted me instantly when my system PS3 said it was disconnecting me due to the other login.
I'm also on Rogers, usually they're okay but this is not going well.  No other game does it so it also has to be part Bungies fault, the game seems to freak out if it loses connection for less than a second.  I swear it has a higher chance of happening right after you kill a strong enemy that might drop good loot.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: September 28, 2014, 08:07:16 AM

Or you can just buy this: http://xim4.com/

I'm using this. http://www.iogear.com/product/GE1337P/. $25 bucks cheaper -- but the XIM4 site seems to provide more information (manuals, videos, etc.) than IOgear.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: September 28, 2014, 08:07:50 AM

I get disconnected about twice an hour, makes the game mostly unplayable.  So now I have to diagnose this crap.

Same mileage a friend of mine gets (he's on Rogers in Canada), but I'm on Comcast in Texas and don't get the disconnects.  We're both on PS3's.  I've had one disconnect -- due to my partner logging in with my PSN account on our other PS3. Game booted me instantly when my system PS3 said it was disconnecting me due to the other login.
I'm also on Rogers, usually they're okay but this is not going well.  No other game does it so it also has to be part Bungies fault, the game seems to freak out if it loses connection for less than a second.  I swear it has a higher chance of happening right after you kill a strong enemy that might drop good loot.
Don't worry about the loot; if you ever fail to pick something up or it falls off a cliff the game will mail it to you.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #501 on: September 28, 2014, 09:49:47 AM

Is this game even better than Warframe?

High expectations certainly have something to do with it but frankly the game isn't great even discounting those expectations. The missions and bosses are both terrible. The bosses are simpler than NES bosses.

Haha for PvE it certainly isn't blowing Warframe out of the water. Will be interesting to answer that question if/when Destiny comes out for PC.

As for all this loot cave stuff and their response being to nerf it. Is this about to be like D3 was where every farming spot gets nerfed once the devs find out about it? Because that was pretty much not fun and of all the incredibly stupid shit Blizz did with that game that was still one of the more destructive ones and all the free generated for your character loot they patched in way later while trying to save the game didn't really make for a better game than when special treasure chests and loot goblins actually were awesome.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #502 on: September 28, 2014, 10:05:52 AM

Don't worry about the loot; if you ever fail to pick something up or it falls off a cliff the game will mail it to you.
Only missed Enegrams get mailed to you.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #503 on: September 28, 2014, 05:06:21 PM

Love the game, wish it was playable. No less than a dozen disconnects in the last two days. Most in the middle of missions. I've been trying to finish the last two missions of the story since yesterday morning. One of them dropped con four times in the final stage. It's nice the game remembers where you were in a mission, but it doesn't help with the five minute load time to get back there every time.

XBox on Telus.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: September 28, 2014, 05:12:45 PM

I wonder if they have better servers for next gen systems; I've had nowhere near the DCs some of you guys have had on the PS4.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #505 on: September 28, 2014, 05:15:04 PM

I'm on an Xbox One.

It really just seems to be a case of the game freaking out and dropping you on any hiccup, instead of trying to reconnect.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: September 28, 2014, 05:23:50 PM

Ahh, thought you were on 360.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #507 on: September 28, 2014, 07:40:37 PM

Wow, that is incredibly sad..and hilarious

i know. I can't decide whether people want to have fun or not in this game.
Perhaps the winning move is not to buy at all to send a clear signal to the dev this design is shit.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: September 28, 2014, 09:33:11 PM

I send that message everyday on countless products! Unfortunately, bro-gamers and their disposable income far outweigh any passive resistance on my part.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: September 28, 2014, 10:41:53 PM

I think they've sold 40 trillion copies already, so it is probably too late for some kind of principled boycott.  Fuck, for all the generally negative feel surrounding this game, I am THIS CLOSE to buying it.  I don't even really like these bro-shooters, on a console no less, and this is the broiest among them.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #510 on: September 29, 2014, 06:46:24 AM

I don't normally like bro shooters but this has co-op, which I accidentally found out I liked from ME3's online content.  Don't know if I'll ever do the crucible, maybe if they have a matchmaking system smart enough to put those of us that suck together.  The story is super half assed though.  Not even half, it's like 1/20th ass.  I finished the earth story line and they didn't even bother to put in some npc dialogue where some leader tells me "To the moon with you!".  It was just the next damn thing on my map with an exclamation point...

And is there any way to get the map in this fucking game?  I've only ever seen one in the tower and even then it only begrudgingly gives it to you if you've been standing in the same spot too long.

Trying to google Destiny faqs sucks because it's just a hundred sites from pre release with questions like "What is destiny", "When does it come out".  Does anyone know a good current one?

Failing that I have some questions if anyone could answer them.

• On my radar I understand what red on the circumference means but it often fills a pie wedge from the outer edge to the inner circle.  I would have thought that meant they are close but it happens when no one is even near me.
  • Is there a way to bring up a map?
  • Why are there so many 20+ people in my instances?  Why are they playing the level four patrol areas?  Do the enemies scale up to them from their perspective?
  • Every so often an event happens in the patrol area, is that just timed or does it trigger after people have done something.  Does it require the three or four people together or it will it scale down to one if they don't bother to come to it?
  • What use is this spinmetal I keep harvesting from plants?
  • What determines the levels of the enemies in patrol?  I went into a building and the stuff outside was level one, I leave the building and they are all level five.
  • What use is the shotgun, you seem to have to be at melee range but melee does more damage?
  • If you buy something from the cryptarch guy it just says something like "piece of chest armour", is that just a place to dump excess glimmer for random stat loot?
  • I don't have a headset mic, is that expected for the strikes like Devil's Lair?  Do you automatically have voice comm with them or do they have to be on your friends list?  Same question for crucible I guess all though I'd probably mute that crap.
  • I'm stuck at 3/5 gold chests found on earth, I know one is in the strike I haven't done yet.  I know where the other four are and have checked that they are no longer there, and they aren't.  Is this a bug or am I missing something.
  • Is there any way to stop that countdown for "mission ends" during the story line?  I want to run around and make sure I've found everything.
  • What dailies should I be sure to do?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: September 29, 2014, 07:00:26 AM

You ask too many question. Shoot the cave, become Legend.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: September 29, 2014, 07:33:38 AM

You ask too many question. Shoot the cave, become Legend.

awesome, for real

Become Legend will be the death of Bungie.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: September 29, 2014, 07:33:47 AM

I don't normally like bro shooters but this has co-op, which I accidentally found out I liked from ME3's online content.  Don't know if I'll ever do the crucible, maybe if they have a matchmaking system smart enough to put those of us that suck together.  The story is super half assed though.  Not even half, it's like 1/20th ass.  I finished the earth story line and they didn't even bother to put in some npc dialogue where some leader tells me "To the moon with you!".  It was just the next damn thing on my map with an exclamation point...

And is there any way to get the map in this fucking game?  I've only ever seen one in the tower and even then it only begrudgingly gives it to you if you've been standing in the same spot too long.

Trying to google Destiny faqs sucks because it's just a hundred sites from pre release with questions like "What is destiny", "When does it come out".  Does anyone know a good current one?

Failing that I have some questions if anyone could answer them.

• On my radar I understand what red on the circumference means but it often fills a pie wedge from the outer edge to the inner circle.  I would have thought that meant they are close but it happens when no one is even near me.
  • Why are there so many 20+ people in my instances?  Why are they playing the level four patrol areas?  Do the enemies scale up to them from their perspective?
  • Every so often an event happens in the patrol area, is that just timed or does it trigger after people have done something.  Does it require the three or four people together or it will it scale down to one if they don't bother to come to it?
  • What determines the levels of the enemies in patrol?  I went into a building and the stuff outside was level one, I leave the building and they are all level five.
  • What use is the shotgun, you seem to have to be at melee range but melee does more damage?
  • If you buy something from the cryptarch guy it just says something like "piece of chest armour", is that just a place to dump excess glimmer for random stat loot?
  • I don't have a headset mic, is that expected for the strikes like Devil's Lair?  Do you automatically have voice comm with them or do they have to be on your friends list?  Same question for crucible I guess all though I'd probably mute that crap.
  • I'm stuck at 3/5 gold chests found on earth, I know one is in the strike I haven't done yet.  I know where the other four are and have checked that they are no longer there, and they aren't.  Is this a bug or am I missing something.
  • Is there any way to stop that countdown for "mission ends" during the story line?  I want to run around and make sure I've found everything.

I am kind of the same way. I normally don't like console shooters but I found with ME3 I actually do enjoy coop console shooters. Been playing destiny with my friend and banging through the story lines and bounties and when there is somebody on the mic where we can have fun mocking eachothers lack of aim and having somebody around to revive you if you screw up makes the story line stuff a lot more fun and adds a lot to the game. Also if you go with another person both of you get to use your specials more frequently so its just all around a better experience even as a duo. Longevity of the game would totally depend on how they add content. This is how ME3 stayed amazingly fun for a year was they kept adding more and more stuff to it fast enough to keep it really engaging.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:26 AM

I spent $0 on ME3 Co-Op and played it longer than the single player campaign.
Hard truths.
It was just fun when they release a ton of free shit in there. I unlocked all the classes and most guns aren't maxed, but it was still good enough to try out.
Even tho the PC ver. lacks type-chat (LOL) cause VOICE CHAT IS THE FUTURE GUISE.
BECAUSE EVERYONE SPEAKS ENGLISH.
*Krogan speaks Russian*
"Wots dat mate , you want me to do wot?"
"Crikey! That was a close one wasn't it?"
"Very laggy lah."

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: September 29, 2014, 07:38:22 AM

This game doesn't have split screen co-op, though, does it?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #516 on: September 29, 2014, 07:45:27 AM

1. Yes, the radar is a prox radar. If it fills a pie, then the circle and no one is around, then the mob is above/below you (different floor, all hail Z-axis)
2. No maps. It is stupid... yes.
3. Level 20s are probably farming mats/doing patrols for bounty quest/doing other bounties/farming rep. Enemies do not scale up, players scale down - for the most part.
4. Those are public events and if you are solo, good luck. They do not really scale. I say not really because if you have a lot of people, more mobs will spawn and they will spawn harder mobs. If it is just you, then the amount of mobs that spawn will be minimal, and those will scale up as the even goes on.
5. Spinmetal is used to upgrade weapons, mainly epic/exotic and only for some weapons. If you examine your weapon/armor piece, highlight the MATERIALS NEEDED (or used, or whatever it says) and it will say what mats you need to gather. Spinmetal on Earth, Helium on Moon, Spirit Bloom on Venus, Relic Iron on Mars. You can also turn in stacks of 50 mats to the Vanguard Quartermaster in the Tower for rep and marks after you hit 18.
6. Mob levels are by planet. You can find some higher level mobs on early planets in more remote parts of the zone, but for the most part, they are about 1-8 levels on each planet. No idea why mobs would jump from 1 to 5 in the same spawn, never seen that happen. Level 1s spawn in the same place, maybe the lvl 5 spawns were dead when you went into the building and respawned leaving?
7. Shotguns are poop. I only use them when I need a element and have no other secondary type weapon with the element I am looking for.
8. You buy engrams from the cryptkeeper and then he gives you an item based off that engram. Basically a lottery as to what you get - only you choose the specific slot.
9. Mics on strikes are sorta optional. I play with my buddy in Chicago and we are always bullshitting whereas the pickup people we have got paired with have never said a word during the strike. YMMV.
10. Gold chests are there till you open them, then they are never seen again. Sure you only got 3? If so, I have no idea what to tell you. (the loot in them is poop as well, so no big deal)
11. No stopping the signal Mal. Once the mission ends, it is automatic port out. You can opt to leave early by going to orbit before the timer runs out though. Helps on Bounty quests that require you to do an earlier mission to kill the boss. You can avoid the automatic cutscene that you have already groaned through.
12. Dailies: All the bounties you can get. The daily strike and weekly strike as well. However, those really only matter after 18 as they will give rep and marks which you can used to outfit you character in purples. Otherwise, you can do random patrols without the bounties to increase rep throughout the leveling process.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: September 29, 2014, 07:49:38 AM

On my radar I understand what red on the circumference means but it often fills a pie wedge from the outer edge to the inner circle.  I would have thought that meant they are close but it happens when no one is even near me.

If the center is filled in they are really close but it could be above or below you if you are in an area with multiple levels.

Is there a way to bring up a map?

In the hub yes outside I don't believe so.

Why are there so many 20+ people in my instances?  Why are they playing the level four patrol areas?  Do the enemies scale up to them from their perspective?

Right now the loot system is kinda wacky. There is no real advantage to doing higher level content over lower level stuff as the drops are identical at the moment. So higher level people are often running event patrol routes and banging out bounties on the cosmodrome map because the rewards are still the same as if they were on mars vs easier opponents.

Every so often an event happens in the patrol area, is that just timed or does it trigger after people have done something.  Does it require the three or four people together or it will it scale down to one if they don't bother to come to it?

These just happen randomly from time to time I believe. If people are around they will flock to them because they are a way of getting vanguard marks which are needed for a lot of higher level stuff so if you see one spawn drop what you are doing and just go bang it out they only take a few mins and are always worth while.

What use is this spinmetal I keep harvesting from plants?

They are used for turn in's with the vanguard merchant I believe its 50 of the various harvestable stuff for each turn in.

What determines the levels of the enemies in patrol?  I went into a building and the stuff outside was level one, I leave the building and they are all level five.

Different areas have different level ranges the deeper indoors you go or in caves the higher you will typically see level wise.

What use is the shotgun, you seem to have to be at melee range but melee does more damage?

Honestly this is my impression of shot guns. The higher level ones have a bit more range but even so stick with sniper rifle or fusion rifle shotty unless you get some super awesome blue+ level one probably is not worth the bother if I am close enough to shoot them I would rather just punch them in the face for about the same damage and save my special weapon slot for a good fusion or sniper which are more generally useful.

If you buy something from the cryptarch guy it just says something like "piece of chest armour", is that just a place to dump excess glimmer for random stat loot?

Yup pretty much although every thing he decrypts raises your rep with him the higher ranks you are with him the better stuff he has for sale.

I don't have a headset mic, is that expected for the strikes like Devil's Lair?  Do you automatically have voice comm with them or do they have to be on your friends list?  Same question for crucible I guess all though I'd probably mute that crap.

Actually the voice in this game only seems to happen if you actually join a specific fire team otherwise the world is dead silent which actually makes teaming up with people a challange because unless you physically group with them nobody can hear anybody.

I'm stuck at 3/5 gold chests found on earth, I know one is in the strike I haven't done yet.  I know where the other four are and have checked that they are no longer there, and they aren't.  Is this a bug or am I missing something.

Not sure on this one I have not bothered doing the completionist stuff yet.

Is there any way to stop that countdown for "mission ends" during the story line?  I want to run around and make sure I've found everything.

Nope it is there pretty much specifically to stop you from endlessly hunting for some of the loot boxes that only show up in those fights so if you don't get them during the fight there is a limited time period to find them after.

What dailies should I be sure to do?

Bang out what you can they all give improved rep/marks so are worth doing if you have time.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #518 on: September 29, 2014, 08:00:02 AM

Have gun, will shoot cave.

"Me am play gods"
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: September 29, 2014, 08:17:59 AM

Destiny is what I envision would be a $500 million dollar Cookie Clicker.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #520 on: September 29, 2014, 08:36:17 AM

All right, thanks for the answers.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #521 on: September 29, 2014, 11:09:23 AM

Public events happen at specific times per hour.  There is a chart somewhere on the internet.  First Gold Rank of a public event will get you a goody bag in the mail, which sometimes has ascendant material or strange coin.

I don't know how long I'd have to shoot into a cave to get an equipment upgrade, but no thanks.  I'm already covered in purple from playing the game normally.  The only critical missing piece at the moment is a purple-or-better scout rifle.  After that, I need to get a purple-or-better fusion rifle in each element.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: September 29, 2014, 11:12:57 AM

Public events happen at specific times per hour.  There is a chart somewhere on the internet.  First Gold Rank of a public event will get you a goody bag in the mail, which sometimes has ascendant material or strange coin.

I don't know how long I'd have to shoot into a cave to get an equipment upgrade, but no thanks.  I'm already covered in purple from playing the game normally.  The only critical missing piece at the moment is a purple-or-better scout rifle.  After that, I need to get a purple-or-better fusion rifle in each element.

Elitist...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #523 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:03 AM

The Queen's gear is not really hard* to get, and I already had a couple Vanguard purples.  It's a race to see if I have the currencies to buy a purple Vanguard weapon or a yellow something from Xur next weekend.  I'm going to hold out for a scout rifle, I think.

*YMMV

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:00 PM

The Queen's gear is not really hard* to get, and I already had a couple Vanguard purples.  It's a race to see if I have the currencies to buy a purple Vanguard weapon or a yellow something from Xur next weekend.  I'm going to hold out for a scout rifle, I think.

*YMMV

I got an exotic weapon quest that was easier than I expected. Sadly, it was for a heavy machine gun - really wanted the autorifle, but I'll take it for now. And I only got the Queen's Helmet as I have all the vanguard gear so far. Found all my weapons, mostly epic FWC guns - fusion rifle, heavy machine gun.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: