Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393944 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #245 on: September 10, 2014, 06:31:46 AM

There is minimal story, mostly 'oh no! under attack', 'oh no! we need to attack'.  I think you can discover lore type things if you search for them.  You play through twenty levels, which can be done in a day, and then start endgame progression via better gear which gives you a higher effective level much like WoW's ilvl system.  You replay the 1-20 levels over again, this time all scaled up to 20 then do group missions, hardmodes and PvP.

They didn't allow any official reviews because they wanted people to play it with the whole launch social aspect first.  Or so they say.

People seem to like but I don't know how long the PvE side will last if it's so easy to get to max level, like most fps people will probalby stay or leave based on the PvP.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: September 10, 2014, 06:49:36 AM

There's a lot of unskippable cutscenes, so yes there is a story. I haven't really paid attention to it because it's hard to focus when you're playing coop with 2 others on voice chat talking over it.

At low levels at least, the Borderlands comparisons don't do justice to BL. There is loot, but not a lot of it and it's not very interesting. There are 3 stats, but for each class 90% of the gear has 1 stat on it. Some items also have weapon specific bonuses like reload speed with assault rifles for example. At level 13 I'm still in a mix of whites and greens, finding a green on average of every other mission. The skill/character stuff has only presented one choice so far (between grenade types) but you get a new subclass at 15 which should open things up.

Everything else about the game is good. Gunplay feels very tight despite the fact that I'm not used to thumbsticks. The servers were up the entire time, with less than 5 disconnects in the ~18 hours I put in. Transition between open world and instanced content is seamless. I haven't tried any PVP yet so I can't speak to that.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #247 on: September 10, 2014, 07:18:15 AM

I must be the only person here who prefers FPS games on a console.  ESPECIALLY one with vehicles.  And switching between KB and controller?  No thanks!  I'm positive that I'd completely forget what I'm doing between the switch.  Unfortunately, I don't need to pass under a threshold to forget where I am. 

Mine won't be here for several days.  I think I'll have just enough time to make a dent in this before the new Borderlands appears.   Heart

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #248 on: September 10, 2014, 07:22:47 AM

I'm at level 5 so far.  It does not remind me of Borderlands at all.  It does remind me of Too Human very much, in a good way.  A little GuildWars 2-ish, but that's just the UI.

My opinion:

Pros:
1. It's a lot of fun.
2. Controls are TIGHT.  The raw shooting mechanics are fantastic.
3. Story and VO are not awful, however this is very subjective.  Personally I think it's about right with the mix of action and Dinklage.
4. MP is slick and casual.  Still have not gotten the miscreants together for anything, so I haven't done any real cooperation.  I did, however, seamlessly join in a world event and even contributed a bit to downing the war walker.  I also seamlessly left.  All the other times, we were just three random people that occasionally crossed paths.  I'm not sure if all of them were even on the same mission as me.
5. Game remembers where you were if you have to abandon because your wife got home.
6. Learning how to play is very interesting.  Alternate con: There are no instructions.
7. Combat isn't as simple as it first appears.
8. Maps are huge and detailed.  Personally I enjoy the work that went into them.
9. Enemies are smarter than the average bear, at least in my experience with shooter AI.

Cons:
1. UI is weak.
2. There are no instructions, but I'm OK with this.  Alternate pro: learning the combat mechanics is fun.

Finally, I can say that all I investigated about this game was watching one video on Youtube.  Actually playing the game is many miles above what I saw.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #249 on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:08 AM

I jumped on this during Beta because I was hoping for a similar co-op experience to what I had in Halo, and I wasn't disappointed. The multiplayer is really quite slick.

My best description of it would be FPS Diablo. The loot drops are slower than say Diablo or Borderlands though. It really isn't an MMO, its a lobby based shooter where a lot of the mission areas are shared, until you entire your team's personal instance.

Sadly, I seem to be one of the few people here on the XBone.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #250 on: September 10, 2014, 10:12:29 AM

After ripping Amazon a new one for failing to deliver my shit on time, they gave me $50 refund for my trouble. In essence, I got the game for free in the bundle which is nice for basically waiting a day extra.

I'll post my PS4 info once I get it set up.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:27 AM

The gamble paid off. If I understand this correctly, they got all the money invested into this project back on the first day. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but god damnACK!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #252 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:01 AM

That's, enormous frankly. Record shattering on many fronts.

There's no way they won't make a PC port now. Too much money out there obviously.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #253 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:45 AM

The gamble paid off. If I understand this correctly, they got all the money invested into this project back on the first day. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but god damnACK!
That's a big number but it isn't profit, they haven't made back the five hundred million.  They haven't even spent the five hundred million yet either.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #254 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:33 AM

After ripping Amazon a new one for failing to deliver my shit on time, they gave me $50 refund for my trouble. In essence, I got the game for free in the bundle which is nice for basically waiting a day extra.

Do you have Prime? I know for non-Prime shipping you can at least get the shipping refunded if they don't deliver on time but Prime users are out-of-luck in that regard.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: September 10, 2014, 12:12:22 PM

Internet portents indicate this game will suffer a hype backlash pretty soon. Worries about lack of content. Also, the game's story is externalized to a mobile app?

Haven't played the game at all ofc.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #256 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:58 PM

Internet portents indicate this game will suffer a hype backlash pretty soon. Worries about lack of content. Also, the game's story is externalized to a mobile app?

Haven't played the game at all ofc.

If there is hype for something, there will always be a backlash on the Internet. I'm sure it probably started way back during the Alpha. As far as lack of content, I think that's largely only an issue in the context of looking at the game's budget, or compared to MMO's where you're expecting to play it for months to years on end. For a $60 retail game though it seems to have a reasonable amount from what I can tell.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #257 on: September 10, 2014, 04:17:31 PM

You need to set your expectations in regards to the amount of content.  This is a well-polished online shooter with RPG elements.  Sort of how Diablo was a online loot-pinata game with RPG elements; sure, Deckard Cain had things to say about the evil you had to fight in order to save the world, but who gave half a shit?  Same here, you have to save the world from one or more ultimate evils.  I don't feel like I'm missing anything on the story or world.  Did you feel cheated in regards to Halo's story?  That's possibly your answer for Destiny.

I don't know anything about the mobile app, but the Grimoire is at bungie.net and I have only just now signed up to look at it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: September 10, 2014, 06:16:19 PM

not doing so hot on metacritic user reviews,

maybe should have let their paid off critics pump it up at launch
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #259 on: September 10, 2014, 06:24:49 PM

This game is really good.

I'm using a keyboard+mouse adapter on PS4 and rolling around with a handcannon and a sniper rifle.

The group content is legitimately challenging - the bosses at first feel sort of like bullet sponges, but they all have a weak spot mechanic of some kind that gets trickier as it goes on.

I have two characters hovering around level 12 and 14 right now, and I'm really curious to see what the endgame stuff looks like. The first raid doesn't open until next week.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #260 on: September 10, 2014, 06:26:22 PM

not doing so hot on metacritic user reviews,

maybe should have let their paid off critics pump it up at launch

Why would anyone ever give a fuck about metacritic user reviews? Try reading some of them. They're pretty much the equivalent of the comments section at the end of a news article.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #261 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:13 PM

Cause some people's bonuses depend on it? awesome, for real
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #262 on: September 10, 2014, 06:29:53 PM

But in this case they don't. Because Jason Jones doesn't give a fuck. Like they said up above, Bungie got all the cash up front.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #263 on: September 10, 2014, 06:39:12 PM

Cause some people's bonuses depend on it? awesome, for real

I know that's true for actual critic reviews, but I've never heard that said about user reviews. It wouldn't make much sense given that you can't verify that any of those people actually own the game and because for seemingly 90% of the users who post reviews, if they don't like a game or think it's overhyped, they give it a 0 out of 10 which is the score one would generally give to a game that is completely broken and unplayable.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #264 on: September 10, 2014, 07:31:04 PM

But in this case they don't. Because Jason Jones doesn't give a fuck. Like they said up above, Bungie got all the cash up front.
Oh well then sucks to be Activision.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #265 on: September 10, 2014, 08:05:41 PM

I'm using a keyboard+mouse adapter on PS4 and rolling around with a handcannon and a sniper rifle.

You using XIM4?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #266 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:07 PM

Oh well then sucks to be Activision.

Nah, they recouped the cost in sell to channel already. Barring a bunch of people returning the game, I think everybody's gonna be ok.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:01 PM

You need to set your expectations in regards to the amount of content.  This is a well-polished online shooter with RPG elements.  Sort of how Diablo was a online loot-pinata game with RPG elements; sure,

There's very little content if by content you mean "interesting missions" or "interesting weapons" or "interesting enemies."

You can spend a lot of time, but a lot of that time will be spent doing very samey stuff. I don't think the Diablo or BL comparisons really work as the loot is much more constrained, as are the RPG elements. The different classes are also much less different than in vaguely similar games.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #268 on: September 10, 2014, 09:10:25 PM

Do you have Prime? I know for non-Prime shipping you can at least get the shipping refunded if they don't deliver on time but Prime users are out-of-luck in that regard.

I did the 30day trial of Prime to get the release day shipping so I wasn't charged shipping to begin with. I promptly terminated the membership once my stuff was sitting in UPS.

PSN: Fusion_Coil for what it's worth.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #269 on: September 10, 2014, 09:58:37 PM

Just finished playing through the "tutorial" and the first mission after reaching the whatchamacallit (Citadel?). Game so far does not feel like a $500 million game. I put "tutorial" in quotes cause what guidance there was was pretty crappy. I had to bring up the controls display to figure out how to shoot and reload (yeah yeah it's been a while since I've played a console shooter). Eventually the game displayed the aim button but that was like halfway through the mission.

The story so far is terrible, not even bothering to explain what you were doing in that area before you were rezzed and why people are calling you "Guardian".

I picked the tank class to start the shotgun is horrifically bad with recoil that you have to reaim to compensate for and anemic damage. And you can't even carry that much ammo for it.

The graphics look like PS3/Xbox 360 quality stuff, not next-gen.

Punching people, however, is quite satisfying (much more fun than using the shotgun) and I really like the sound effects (after I figuring out I was wearing the Sony wireless headphones backwards...)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #270 on: September 10, 2014, 11:01:40 PM

Nothing forces that class to use the shotgun (I hated it), just change it up when you get an option. The Sniper rifle for example is slow but quite satisfying for popping heads off.
The tank class also has the most satisfying first "special" as well in my opinion, a very handy "oh shit I'm surrounded" ground punch.

This game isn't revolutionary or anything, it just plays well to me. I suck at shooters, but I can jump in to this, get in over may head, and have an exhilarating time trying to survive it. Now I just need to get the friends who said they'd buy it as well (on XB) to follow through.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #271 on: September 11, 2014, 12:06:16 AM

You using XIM4?

No, a Cronus MAX - www.controllermax.com

My PC is right next to my PS4 so it just pipes that to the controls and does the translation.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #272 on: September 11, 2014, 08:20:12 AM

You need to set your expectations in regards to the amount of content.  This is a well-polished online shooter with RPG elements.  Sort of how Diablo was a online loot-pinata game with RPG elements; sure,

There's very little content if by content you mean "interesting missions" or "interesting weapons" or "interesting enemies."

You can spend a lot of time, but a lot of that time will be spent doing very samey stuff. I don't think the Diablo or BL comparisons really work as the loot is much more constrained, as are the RPG elements. The different classes are also much less different than in vaguely similar games.

OK, you win.  I guess.  That was the best I could do in describing the story aspect, but good job pointing out the loot and class aspects.  After getting to level 9, the Too Human comparison is even more apt but not sure anyone played that game.  I can't think of another game more similar to Destiny.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: September 11, 2014, 09:32:53 AM

Hellgate London?  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #274 on: September 11, 2014, 09:53:41 AM

I didn't think about that one, but Too Human is still closer even with the multiplayer bit.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #275 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56:30 AM

You liked Too Human?

Is anyone playing this on a last gen system?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:59:32 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #276 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:20 AM

Whether or not I liked Too Human is a complicated answer, and not 100% relevant.  I felt it did some thing well, was backed by interesting ideas, but was executed poorly.  Destiny is Too Human done correctly.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #277 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:48 PM

Hellgate London?  why so serious?

I loved that game.  Only because I got to destroy Paddington Station.  Geez.  It takes you to Slough which smells like pee.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: September 11, 2014, 04:16:47 PM

Oh man, why did we have to bring up Hellgate.  Perhaps the biggest letdown of all time.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #279 on: September 12, 2014, 07:50:05 PM

I bought it because why not; loot and general feel of the beta kinda gave me PSO 1-2 vibes.

+Holy shit this game is legit pretty and the new systems smoke the previous gen system versions
+I thought the UI was pretty okay IMO for being controller based. If you're bitching about it, you've obviously never played Borderlands 1 or 2.
+Good audio design outside of Game of Thrones dude totally phoning it in.
+Combat feels pretty good; kinda like a refined version of Halo.

-There are three missions: Go to a place and stand on it, kill dudes, kill dudes while your ghost does a thing.
-Enemies aren't totally boring but not that interesting overall.
-Strikes are basically full of bulletsponge enemies with death-cannons and they're honestly not interesting. They obviously have a very powerful engine here; there's no excuse for the lack of crazy boss battles.
-Story is awful, inscrutable
-Content is UTTERLY threadbare. Infinitely grind missions, or do the small # of strikes. The lack of variation in these unfortunately kills the fun. I tolerated this in PSO because of the loot and the fact despite its ancient and terrible camera/combat system, its enemies actually had some real differences/synergies between them and the weapons/skills provided a ton of variety.
-Not a lot of abilities really? You will generally have two weapons, and two active skills on CDs. Like that's it. Kinda dull after say, Borderlands 2 where player abilities were really varied and the weapons were utterly batshit and you could have 4 of them.

The bad reviews pretty much agree: Really good basis for a game and stunning visual/audio experience... no content.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:52:42 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: