Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: So, rats, goblins and clawpomb dwarves, oh my! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, rats, goblins and clawpomb dwarves, oh my!  (Read 23239 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: September 05, 2012, 09:56:31 AM

And the UI will still suck.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #71 on: September 25, 2012, 03:34:49 AM

Daemon of Khorne roster is up.

THE DAEMONS OF KHORNE

The Daemons of Khorne have infinite bloodlust and rage that makes them feared throughout the Blood Bowl leagues. Some of them, not satisfied with merely destroying all of civilization, started to get interested in violent games. When Bloodletters, Pit Fighters, Bloodthirsters and Heralds discovered Blood Bowl, the Daemons of Khorne made their entrance in the stadiums for the first time!

Today, they are known as the most violent, and the most feared, Blood Bowl players of all time.

- Pit Fighter, Quantity 0-16, 60k, MA 6, ST 3, AG 3, AV 8, Skills: Frenzy, Normal GP, Double AS
- Bloodletter Daemon, Quantity 0-4, 80k, MA 6, ST 3, AG 3, AV 7, Skills: Horns, Juggernaut, Regeneration, Normal GAS, Double P
- Khorne Herald, Quantity 0-2, 90k, MA 6, ST 3, AG 3, AV 8, Skills: Frenzy, Horns, Juggernaut, Normal GS, Double AP
- Bloodthirster, Quantity 0-1, 180k, MA 6, ST 5, AG 1, AV 9, Skills: Loner, Wild Animal, Claw, Frenzy, Horns, Juggernaut, Regeneration, Normal S, Double GAP
- Reroll : 70k
- Apoth: yes

Starplayers:
Morg and Grashnak

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 25, 2012, 04:00:27 AM

Hmm, lots of frenzy. No mutations though.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 04:35:18 AM

Demonic Norse.  I think someone called that earlier, too.  Sacrifice any possibility of having a passing game in exchange for more skull bashing from the get-go. 

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #74 on: September 25, 2012, 05:40:13 AM

For a bashing team they're pretty low on STR.  Those worrying that Khorne would be unbalanced should be relieved.  They are similar to Norse, but lack Norse's block and STR advantage, and have a lot of frenzy which could get a young team (or coach) into trouble.  I'm disappointed that they don't get mutations.  Frankly, I think they kind of need it; at least on doubles.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:25 AM

Half of the team has the opportunity to Blitz and not only become an ST4, but negate Wrestle, Stand Firm, Fend, and Block (sorta).  Granted, it's just one player per turn, but the team effectively has 5-6 ready-to-rock ST4 Blitzers.  I can see the pros and cons though.  Mutations would make them OP, IMO, and make them not really any different than straight up Chaos.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:33:19 AM by luckton »

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 06:35:30 AM

They're obviously a playable squad, I just think they lack something.  It feels like they should've given mutation access to the Bloodletters though.  That would've been fun.  Four AV7 mutants with horns, juggernaut and regen.  They'd be glass cannon blitzers.  Lots of TV, and a good chance they'd be knocked out of the game, but access to really neat skills.  It'd be a fun trade-off.

Having a STR4 player on a blitz is nice, but it doesn't make up for a lack of STR during your opponent's turn.  They're going to be pretty easy to tear into and dismantle when they're on a drive with the ball since they can't move fast and don't have many ways to defend.  On a Chaos team you have four STR 4 CWs, and with guard, they can help bolster your beastmen with STR 3.  I'd rather have a few STR 4 players than the six players with horns, especially since their MA is only 6 and they aren't going to exactly be streaking across the field with that one blitz per turn.  All that frenzy without block is like a turnover machine, too, if the coach isn't careful.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 25, 2012, 09:52:34 AM

7 players with guard access on non-doubles and frenzy on the fodder.  Mmmmm.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:47 AM

Well, I guess if I make a Khorne team I'll finally learn how2frenzy.   ACK!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 25, 2012, 10:45:18 AM

Starting lineup

6x Fighter : 360
3x Daemon : 240
2x Herald : 180
3x Reroll : 210

Total : 990

Purchases : Apothecary, Daemon, either a fighter or Bloodthirster

Seems like a weak starting lineup, but by about ten games in you should have enough block and guard to feel like a STR 3.5 team, you'll do well against dodgier sides, but get eaten by other chaos teams, lizards, or anything else with substantial STR 4.

Against STR3, I don't think you'll miss STR4. An initial horns blitz with frenzy and juggernaught will help set up followup 2 die blocks.

Fighters having pass access is interesting I guess, can't see anyone sane building a thrower, but 20k for leader is a help in an expensive team. You could justify starting with just 2 rerolls on that basis, but without any block I wouldn't. First fighter to level gets leader, second gets kick, after that you pick a mix of block/wrestle/fend/tackle. Dodge on doubles.

Daemons are probably the best opportunity for a ball carrier. Block, Dodge, Sure Hands on one of them - Guard, Block, Dodge, MB on the rest.

Heralds will be your prefered blitzers, so since they have juggernaught you can take Guard and MB before block.

I don't think I'd buy a bloodthirster, you'd want to be blitzing (for juggernaught) a lot, but 6 of your other players have STR4+jugg when they blitz, and they don't have loner or wild animal.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #80 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:22 AM

Yeah, the Bloodthirster looks like an overpriced Minotaur on a team that can't afford it, blitz-wise.  To make a Mino really worth their TV you have to commit to blitzing with them on around half your turns or the wild animal makes them just sit out in the middle of nowhere, wasting all of that TV you gave up to have them in the game.  That's one of the main reasons I don't have one even on a Chaos team, and I do just fine.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #81 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:59 AM

All that frenzy is going to be rough on players who don't do positioning well. Seems like a trap team to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #82 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:13 PM

Starting lineup

6x Fighter : 360
3x Daemon : 240
2x Herald : 180
3x Reroll : 210

Total : 990

Purchases : Apothecary, Daemon, either a fighter or Bloodthirster

Seems like a weak starting lineup, but by about ten games in you should have enough block and guard to feel like a STR 3.5 team, you'll do well against dodgier sides, but get eaten by other chaos teams, lizards, or anything else with substantial STR 4.

Against STR3, I don't think you'll miss STR4. An initial horns blitz with frenzy and juggernaught will help set up followup 2 die blocks.

Fighters having pass access is interesting I guess, can't see anyone sane building a thrower, but 20k for leader is a help in an expensive team. You could justify starting with just 2 rerolls on that basis, but without any block I wouldn't. First fighter to level gets leader, second gets kick, after that you pick a mix of block/wrestle/fend/tackle. Dodge on doubles.

Daemons are probably the best opportunity for a ball carrier. Block, Dodge, Sure Hands on one of them - Guard, Block, Dodge, MB on the rest.

Heralds will be your prefered blitzers, so since they have juggernaught you can take Guard and MB before block.

I don't think I'd buy a bloodthirster, you'd want to be blitzing (for juggernaught) a lot, but 6 of your other players have STR4+jugg when they blitz, and they don't have loner or wild animal.

I wouldn't normally do this, but I think I may consider taking four re-rolls initially. With so much Frenzy and no bread&butter skills to speak of, initial games are going to be rough.

May even be worth it, just to take Leader and then drop an rr down.

* Edit: now that I think about it, starting with a Bloodthirster is awfully tempting. Once he picks up Might Blow, the amount of firepower on that guys is amazing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:44:37 PM by Megrim »

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 08:08:34 AM

Btw, this is being released on Thursday.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 04:59:35 PM

Been spending quite a bit this month and aren't that interested in Chaos Dwarves or Khorne...

To sit out or not...
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 05:17:03 PM

For $10... I will get it, even if I think XCOM will take over my spare time.

I do want to run those Underworld fellas, after all.
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 08:55:29 PM

dibs on chaos dwarfs in the league  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 09, 2012, 07:06:57 AM

For Steam users, you can pre-purchase now at the $10 rate, provided that you have one of the player key codes from ANY of the previous editions of BB.

- If you already have a copy of BB in your Steam library, you should be all set.  Go to the store page in Steam and the Add to Cart price should be $10.

- If you have a boxed copy or the above line isn't working, you need to get your player key from the box manual or the confirmation email you got if your downloaded the game from a different online store.  With key in hand, add the key to your library as if you were activating any other game via Steam.

- More info on the store page:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/216890

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:37 PM

An ~893 MB patch went out for LE (presumably assets for the new teams) and the download is just crawling. Anyone with a game scheduled soon should get on that now.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 10, 2012, 02:26:49 PM

And what would a nearly 1GB patch be without patch notes? 

- Compatibility support with Blood Bowl Chaos Edition:
* All new teams are visible in Legendary Edition but not playable.
* Players of Legendary Edition can freely play with players of Chaos Edition (matchmaking and leagues).
- Fixed AI not playing after a Turnover when Wizard is available.
- Fixed a bug where Going For It dice were not rolled in some situations.
- Fixed a network synchronization error at placement.
- Juggernaut: It is now possible to choose to treat a "Both Down" result as a "Pushed" result.

why so serious?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 10, 2012, 05:43:30 PM

If you buy Chaos, you don't need to patch up. Just do your Steam install, log into that one. You have access to EVERYTHING from your account, all combined. That means that, yes, as far as I can tell, the playoffs etc, etc can be played with the Chaos Edition client.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 10, 2012, 05:48:53 PM

Eh?  It's still showing as a pre-order for me, I can't install, as far as I can see.  Or even pre-load it yet, for that matter.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 10, 2012, 08:43:52 PM

I've already made my teams. I'm smooth.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 10, 2012, 10:07:18 PM

Time zone hax!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #94 on: October 11, 2012, 11:34:23 AM

Not a single UI improvement, eh?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #95 on: October 11, 2012, 12:42:44 PM

Really? Fucking Frenchies.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 23, 2012, 02:19:29 PM

So I just bought this during the Steam sale and was wondering which of the new teams would be best to play for someone who: a) hasn't played in awhile and b) was horrible when he did.  I'm leaning towards chaos dwarfs right now.  Any suggestions?
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #97 on: December 23, 2012, 03:40:07 PM

Definitely Chaos Dwarves.  They're a strong side.  The other two teams are pretty odd, and a challenge even for the most experienced.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 24, 2012, 12:19:49 PM

So after playing a bit of the Chaos Dwarfs in single and multi player, I can't think of a single reason to have the Minotaur on the team.  I think it would be much better to have a full roster of Bull Centaurs, blockers and some spare hobgoblins.  My starting line up is 2 BC, 5 CDB and 4 HG, with 3 rerolls. First thing I'll add is an apoc.  I like how they play.  Pretty bashy but with enough MV to move the ball.  Even the hobgoblins aren't too bad with decent MV, ST and AG, though they are a bit fragile with only 7 AV.  Any advice from those that have played them more?  Thanks.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 25, 2012, 03:11:52 PM

I agree that the mino is suboptimal, particularly when your line blockers are the best in the game, but there are at least 2 reasons you could argue for a mino.

First a high STR big guy that sits on the line doing nothing is a pain to work around before he even moves.

Second he is one skill up from MB plus claw, which is always overpowered.

For me these reasons are not enough to pick a mino. But they are enough to make it a reasonable preference. I just don't like giving away TV and don't like rolling that many dice.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 25, 2012, 06:47:24 PM

I agree that the mino is suboptimal, particularly when your line blockers are the best in the game, but there are at least 2 reasons you could argue for a mino.

First a high STR big guy that sits on the line doing nothing is a pain to work around before he even moves.

Second he is one skill up from MB plus claw, which is always overpowered.

For me these reasons are not enough to pick a mino. But they are enough to make it a reasonable preference. I just don't like giving away TV and don't like rolling that many dice.

I have a minotaur on my CD team I'm playing with in single player and I tend to use him when I'm on defense and keep him close to the line.  For offense, I replace him with a hobgoblin for more ball movement options.  Seems to work ok so far.  I just don't like the unreliability of big guys.  I liked the krox on the lizardman team because of the prehensile tail, which made him a nice roadblock for dodgy teams.  The minotaur just has high strength with an unimpressive 8 AV.  I think early on, getting an extra blocker and more re-rolls is the way to go.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #101 on: December 25, 2012, 11:11:43 PM

I don't like minos on Chaos teams, and I think it's pretty clear that Chaos can win without them, but on a Chaos Dwarf team I tend to think that minos are more useful.  For a bashy team Chaos Dwarves are starved for high strength players and until you get a lot of guard on your blockers that can be quite an impedement.  Later in a team's development though they definitely become less useful.  I would probably keep a mino early, and dump him if he fails to get block by the time my linemen had a decent amount of guard.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: So, rats, goblins and clawpomb dwarves, oh my!  
Jump to: