Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Patch 1.2 is out. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch 1.2 is out.  (Read 52999 times)
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #175 on: April 13, 2012, 10:19:47 AM

Especially funny with the patch notes as fixing only a char deletion issue and stuff about support tickets. Why would they even have to touch the content data for that?

They probably wouldn't have to.

The first thing that springs to mind is some seriously sloppy version control. Mister EmergencyPatchDev working on a pre-1.2 copy of code, running a diff against live code, and hey presto.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: April 13, 2012, 10:23:41 AM

Friday 13th. And some developer probably hadn't had his morning coffee at usual strength.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #177 on: April 13, 2012, 10:39:10 AM

Yeah, sloppy is probably the right word. They don't even seem to keep backups of the state before server changes, so they now have to rebuild their server side data files from source...

I'm used to projects with much, much smaller budgets putting more thought than that into their change management.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #178 on: April 13, 2012, 10:58:07 AM

All of this reeks of them battling their engine/backend to me. Shit, they should've just developed their own considering.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #179 on: April 13, 2012, 11:02:14 AM

Due to the unexpected extended maintenance today, we are going to be offering every player a full day of game time as compensation. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for your patience.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: April 13, 2012, 11:51:32 AM

Betting $50 servers are down again tonight sometime.  No way they got this patch right

Are you a wizard?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #181 on: April 13, 2012, 11:54:11 AM

These monolithic patches are brutalizing them.

"Me am play gods"
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #182 on: April 13, 2012, 12:21:17 PM

By the way, the new dailies on Corellia aren't too bad, in that you pick them all up at the same spot, do one trip through the (smallish) zone, and you're done. WAY better than the other dailies.

They also knocked the heroic 4 Belsavis dailies down to heroic 2.

God Save the Horn Players
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: April 13, 2012, 01:09:00 PM

Servers up much earlier than expected, good job Bioware.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #184 on: April 13, 2012, 01:37:50 PM

Servers up much earlier than expected, good job Bioware.

Wait for it...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: April 13, 2012, 02:05:27 PM

By the way, the new dailies on Corellia aren't too bad, in that you pick them all up at the same spot, do one trip through the (smallish) zone, and you're done. WAY better than the other dailies.

They are a little bit harder then the previous Heroic 2 on Belsavis, with all the Gand, but easier then the Illum Heroic 2. Rewards are the same, 3 comms each, a fancy armoring and fancy companion weapons. The companion weapons now include modable techblades/techstaves so that might be worth doing for some people.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #186 on: April 13, 2012, 02:48:53 PM

All of this reeks of them battling their engine/backend to me. Shit, they should've just developed their own considering.

I have felt this about a lot of the problems they have had since launch.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: April 13, 2012, 03:05:01 PM

I doubt it's the specific off-the-shelf stuff we're thinking of.  Their version control is just laughable though, which may be a consequence of said stuff.  Don't know.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: April 13, 2012, 05:31:52 PM

They are a little bit harder then the previous Heroic 2 on Belsavis, with all the Gand, but easier then the Illum Heroic 2. Rewards are the same, 3 comms each, a fancy armoring and fancy companion weapons. The companion weapons now include modable techblades/techstaves so that might be worth doing for some people.

At least on imperial side you could get those for dromond kass commendations. Don't now about republic.
Probably way easier to do the heroic L>20 missions for commendations

Oh ya back for the free week. Did they put searching the market in this patch or a previous one. It wasnt there when I quit.

Also the quick trip to your ship thing is a bit misleading. You can quick travel to your ship just fine now though most planets have a 1 click fleet transport anyway. But, you still have to enter the planet through the old slow way. So no real improvement there.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:35:10 PM by Phred »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #189 on: April 13, 2012, 05:47:54 PM

Prior to this patch, there were no moddable techblades or techstaves. You are thinking of vibroblades. Yes, for some reason, these are different things.

God Save the Horn Players
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: April 13, 2012, 06:15:53 PM

A note from the management : Those responsible for patching the patch, have been sacked.

Actually, no, the patch is a work of art.  Kinda like that other game's ending.  They meant to do that.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:23 PM

The patch for the patch is taking longer to patch than the patch.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: April 13, 2012, 09:01:31 PM

After playing with the UI customization for a bit I gotta say they did a really nice job.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: April 13, 2012, 10:04:26 PM

Prior to this patch, there were no moddable techblades or techstaves. You are thinking of vibroblades. Yes, for some reason, these are different things.

Oh ya guess my memory is playing tricks. Like it did with the search thing. I could have sworn there was no search on the market before but then I remembered there was. It was body part searching I remembered the absence of.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #194 on: April 14, 2012, 11:34:32 AM

The new raid definitely separates the "Story" mode from the hardmode. Holy shit.

We decided to just blast straight into hardmode since pretty much 90% of the raid is in full Rakata. First trash pull and half the raid instantly dies. We got the first boss(es) to 50% each but the damage is unmangable...probably due to use relying on information from second-hand PTS reports. Also there's the problem with lots of abilities that SHOULD NOT TARGET THE FUCKING TANKS TARGETING THE FUCKING TANKS.

It's also pretty buggy, so there's that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:40:09 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: April 14, 2012, 06:25:38 PM

Here's my "okay, I'm sort of happy now" pass (XML):

Tried to get it close to what I'm using in WoW.  Still want to play around with the Ops frames and general alignment.  Didn't notice it was this bad until I looked at a screenshot Heartbreak.  To the XML file!

On that same note, you can edit the scale above the 1.25 the in-game editor allows pretty easily.  Just bump the "Value" in the <scale> tag up (did a write-up for my guildies here).  Textures will start to look blurry though.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #196 on: April 15, 2012, 07:10:36 PM

Man, I don't know who Lost Island is for, but it's definitely not for people who need the gear.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: April 16, 2012, 05:47:38 AM

Man, I don't know who Lost Island is for, but it's definitely not for people who need the gear.

People complained the "PvE was too easy" so they put out two retardatron instances.  

Poopsocking guilds completed both of them within hours, everyone else is left to die horribly over and over again because they have that one friend who is .5 seconds too slow getting out of the fire or misses one interrupt.

Good times.

Edit:  anyone get the feeling that SWTOR is making all the same mistakes that WoW made, only at a much faster pace?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #198 on: April 16, 2012, 06:19:10 AM

People complained the "PvE was too easy" so they put out two retardatron instances. 

Poopsocking guilds completed both of them within hours, everyone else is left to die horribly over and over again because they have that one friend who is .5 seconds too slow getting out of the fire or misses one interrupt.

Good times.

Edit:  anyone get the feeling that SWTOR is making all the same mistakes that WoW made, only at a much faster pace?
Pretty much.

I fucking hate the retards who are like, "IT'S NOT TOO HARD! I MEAN, OUR FULL RAKATA GUILD GROUP WIPED 9 TIMES ON THE FIRST BOSS BUT WE BEAT IT! IT'S FINE!". Die. Die you fucks. Why can't someone literally kill you so I stop having to run into you in every MMO I try?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #199 on: April 16, 2012, 07:20:54 AM

We could turn F13 into some sort of gaming hit-squad.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: April 16, 2012, 07:29:59 AM

I fucking hate the retards who are like, "IT'S NOT TOO HARD! I MEAN, OUR FULL RAKATA GUILD GROUP WIPED 9 TIMES ON THE FIRST BOSS BUT WE BEAT IT! IT'S FINE!". Die. Die you fucks. Why can't someone literally kill you so I stop having to run into you in every MMO I try?

I guess you hate me then.  I like encounters to be hard.  Difficulty makes the encounters more fun (assuming the difficulty isn't the result of a bug).  If my group can plow through all of a new dungeon on the first try it really kills the excitement of the encounter. 

I don't care about the loot.  So I want the encounters to be relatively challenging.  I don't mind an evening of failure as long as we learn something during the play session. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: April 16, 2012, 07:46:11 AM

Oh they hate us, they hate us very much.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #202 on: April 16, 2012, 08:22:41 AM

I don't think either one of you is faux-hardcore over the top to the point where you whine about difficulty while in top tier gear.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #203 on: April 16, 2012, 09:05:38 AM

So, the tooltip for Rocket Boost completely fails to mention that it can only be used in vehicle areas.

You have been warned.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: April 16, 2012, 09:06:43 AM

I don't think either one of you is faux-hardcore over the top to the point where you whine about difficulty while in top tier gear.

Nebu's post (which sum up my tastes as well) is pretty much in line with what Fab wanted people dead for.  Has nothing to do with whining.

Only difference is that I (and maybe Nebu) acknowledge that "our" game isn't very compatible with the one many people on this board want.

The revanchists over on EJ would argue that the more difficult game existing is integral to the enjoyment of the other.  The "faux-hardcore" would just say that you're bad and you should feel bad.  Still leads to wanting a "ruined" game though.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:39 AM

I guess you hate me then.  I like encounters to be hard.  Difficulty makes the encounters more fun (assuming the difficulty isn't the result of a bug).  If my group can plow through all of a new dungeon on the first try it really kills the excitement of the encounter. 

I don't care about the loot.  So I want the encounters to be relatively challenging.  I don't mind an evening of failure as long as we learn something during the play session. 

Listen, i don't mind approriately difficult encounters, but if you have the gear already provided by the instances, it shouldn't be a hassle to get through it.  Especially in "story-mode" content.  From what I understand the new operation has folks consistently wiping in rakata gear in story mode.  that ain't right.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #206 on: April 16, 2012, 09:15:26 AM

The revanchists over on EJ would argue that the more difficult game existing is integral to the enjoyment of the other.  The "faux-hardcore" would just say that you're bad and you should feel bad.  Still leads to wanting a "ruined" game though.

Well the main problem I have with that line of thinking is that higher difficulties cap your game in terms of subs, and capped subs mean less development of that game.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #207 on: April 16, 2012, 11:59:15 AM

There's hardmode raids for that. Hardmode FPs are supposed to be for gearing people TO raid, with Lost Island having the bonus of a Rakata chestpiece at the end. If Lost Island was tuned to be as difficult for a group in Tionese/daily-modded oranges as it was for us in literally full Rakata I'd say it would be about right, minus some tuning needed to make it less melee unfriendly.

Note that I don't give a shit about the loot myself either; I'm full Rakata. I needed nothing from that instance, neither did any of my guildmates. We ran it just to check it out and it was a horrific unfun slog with an easy group makeup (Gunslinger, Scoundrel, Sage, Vanguard). We had pretty good players from our raid group all around and we wiped more on the first boss of Lost Island than we did on the first two bosses of Explosive Conflict. The first and final bosses are not tuned very well.

Wiping is fine; it happens even on stupidly easy bosses. Being stonewalled is another. Unless Lost Island is designed for people in Full Rakata to get dressup items for their companions, as of right now it's pointless for the non-raiding population or people gearing alts/mains to get raid-ready.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:59 PM

Content should be graded. Normal mode for "most people will see the content / PUGable", Hard mode for the organised raiding guilds and achievements for the elitists.

I don't even get why designers can still get this wrong.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #209 on: April 16, 2012, 07:58:50 PM

Content should be graded. Normal mode for "most people will see the content / PUGable", Hard mode for the organised raiding guilds and achievements for the elitists.

I don't even get why designers can still get this wrong.

Because they are all elitists deep down and get wildly offended when their "buddies" call them out for their content being too "easy."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Patch 1.2 is out.  
Jump to: