Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread!  (Read 431418 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #875 on: January 31, 2014, 06:59:05 PM

Episode 8.5 launched yesterday in typical STO fashion. The servers shit the bed explosively and repeatedly, like a baby with food poisoning. The servers were down yesterday longer than they were up.

That said, the story addition is spectacular.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: January 31, 2014, 09:23:16 PM

I think - I think - they fixed the two most paper-cut-obnoxious bugs of the last two years: random skills adding themselves to the hotbars on every map transition, and DOff Department Heads changing themselves on every map transition.

I'm still holding my breath, though.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: February 01, 2014, 06:07:07 AM

Just finished the new 8.5 mission.  Nice!  I love these little storyline additions they keep adding on to the game.  I'm not a guy who does dailies, never have, so I've been away from STO for a few weeks after getting a good taste of the Dyson missions and ground combat.  Good to see their attempts to keep a story line going.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #878 on: February 01, 2014, 07:44:28 PM

I got the borrowed ship, it's passable, but the stock model without all the right consoles is still less powerful than my adapted destroyer.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: February 01, 2014, 11:30:28 PM

Just worked out how to set priority on my space weapons auto-fire. That was...helpful. I want the hyper-plasma torpedo launcher to fire first, then the Omega one. I might swap the Omega one to the back, though. I'm only using Torpedo Spread 1 and High Yield Torpedo 1 though..

How do you do this? Is it chat commands?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: February 02, 2014, 09:10:50 AM

Just worked out how to set priority on my space weapons auto-fire. That was...helpful. I want the hyper-plasma torpedo launcher to fire first, then the Omega one. I might swap the Omega one to the back, though. I'm only using Torpedo Spread 1 and High Yield Torpedo 1 though..

How do you do this? Is it chat commands?
Click order. Whatever order you click weapons to turn them to autofire is the priority.

So I turned off all the torpedoes from autofire, then turned "hyper plasma" on first, then omega -- so the HP now has priority to fire. Strangely simple and not really documented. Took me awhile to track it down.

I need to log back on to STO and at least take a look at the fleet projects. I spent the Winter Event stocking up on marks....:)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: February 02, 2014, 09:39:39 AM

Thanks for that tip! 
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #882 on: February 02, 2014, 03:44:37 PM

Seriously, just get us to shipyard 3. I'm working my ass off to do it, but it's slow going.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: February 02, 2014, 06:58:59 PM

Seriously, just get us to shipyard 3. I'm working my ass off to do it, but it's slow going.
Working on it. I was focusing on getting to Spire 1. I'd like to get to Embassy 3 to get the top-end kits and the third bonus duty officer job slot.

But right now I'm out of marks and out of dilithium. :) I've got something like 6 personal projects that need dilithium too and I'm trying to balance them. (On the bright side, I have graduated to elite missions and seem to do okay, so bonus?)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #884 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:12 AM

I've only run two elite STFs ever. One was a smashing success, the other a complete disaster.

Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: February 03, 2014, 05:21:24 AM

I'm having huge problems playing this, I get dropped with a server timeout on every-single-zone change (and then it takes me a couple of attempts to get back in. It was hit an miss over xmas the the timeout counter _almost_ reaching 10 during a zone change and the occasional drop but now it's every one.

I've tried the EU proxy in the launcher (couldn't even connect) and am >< that close to logging a support ticket (to which I preduct a stock and completely irrelevant reply) but I wondered if anyone knew of any timeout settings (probably only need to double it to 20 secs). I've looked through the files but couldn't see anything obvious

A google search returns a bunch of people with the same issue years ago but no fix because in most cases the server was actually down :-(
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #886 on: February 03, 2014, 05:27:13 AM

No clue, sorry.

Just hit 50 on my Rommie and now I'm trying to puzzle out how to actually do damage.  My Fed char has the Andoran ship and it kicks ass, but even after upping to MK XII cannons on the Rommie I can't pummel things as quickly.  Quite annoying.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #887 on: February 03, 2014, 11:06:41 AM

Tac, sci or engie?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #888 on: February 03, 2014, 01:48:10 PM

Fed is Engie, Rom is Tac.   

I thought maybe it was just perception on my part but then I ran another daily on the fed and was able to tear-up the Voth cruiser in the Andoran that proceeded to pummel the Rommy on whom I'm using the 700 day vet cruiser at the moment.   

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: February 03, 2014, 03:32:14 PM

I'm having huge problems playing this, I get dropped with a server timeout on every-single-zone change (and then it takes me a couple of attempts to get back in. It was hit an miss over xmas the the timeout counter _almost_ reaching 10 during a zone change and the occasional drop but now it's every one.

I've tried the EU proxy in the launcher (couldn't even connect) and am >< that close to logging a support ticket (to which I preduct a stock and completely irrelevant reply) but I wondered if anyone knew of any timeout settings (probably only need to double it to 20 secs). I've looked through the files but couldn't see anything obvious

A google search returns a bunch of people with the same issue years ago but no fix because in most cases the server was actually down :-(
Turn off dynamic patching in the options.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #890 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:19 PM

I thought maybe it was just perception on my part but then I ran another daily on the fed and was able to tear-up the Voth cruiser in the Andoran that proceeded to pummel the Rommy on whom I'm using the 700 day vet cruiser at the moment.   

Engies are significantly more versatile in my experience than Tacticals. That said, switch out your boff stations, get more engineers in those universal slots. This has worked for my tactical.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:57 AM

The number one mistake most new Romulans make is not taking advantage of battle cloak. You get that buff everytime you attack from cloak so your attack pattern should be cloak-decloak-attack-pull away-cloak-decloak-attack. More or less. If you do it right your DPS will go up pretty well. Get BOFFs and Doffs that increase your de-cloaking damage, as well as traits for yourself along with a reduction in the cloak cooldown timer.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #892 on: February 04, 2014, 09:15:53 AM

Yeah, that one I realized a while back while leveling.  Rommies are the EQ rogues of STO: they should be vanishing as often as possible.  So I cloak/de, pop off cannon & torp abilities and then come 'round again.  (Unless of course I'm in a group where I take all the damn aggro because despite my low DPS I'm still outstripping the other players)

I'm just trying to puzzle out why things like the Voss cruisers pop to my Andoran while they are a struggle on the Rommie.  All I can figure is I'm still using Tier X engines, etc because I haven't re-run the Breen missions at 50 and don't have the rep for other gear yet.   I sold some fleet modules and am sitting on millions so I debated upgrading from the Blue MkXII plasma cannons to Purples but I can't justify that cost for the apparently small bump in dps.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #893 on: February 04, 2014, 11:07:22 AM

How many cannons do you need and what type?

Also, I ran my third elite STF last night, got called a noob, but still out-damaged everyone on the mission and finished it successfully.

Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: February 05, 2014, 03:40:54 AM

Turn off dynamic patching in the options.

Thanks, I tried that yesterday but it didn't make a huge difference (still timeout on every zone but I now seem to get back in on the first try)

I could understand it if I was entering a zone I'd never been in before or that has been updated since my last visit but all I'm currently doing is bouncing between the academy and Q to do Party Patrol on 8 characters
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #895 on: February 05, 2014, 09:27:52 PM

Check the fleet bank Merusk.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #896 on: February 06, 2014, 06:11:59 AM

I'm not in your fleet, but thanks   awesome, for real

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #897 on: February 06, 2014, 10:40:46 AM

Bleh. I'll mail 'em to ya tonight.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #898 on: February 07, 2014, 04:19:07 PM

Bleh. I'll mail 'em to ya tonight.

Rock, thanks.

Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: February 07, 2014, 09:10:41 PM

Giving this a try (Fed Engineer Thorlyg@Tynprr), just made Commander. The game is sure rough--polish and quality-of-life tweaks are rather lacking, especially for a 4-year-old game. But some parts of it do feel "Star Trek" enough to be entertaining for now.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:34 AM

Did I use bonus dilithium weekend to finally turn in the quest for capping Nukara reputation and got 48,000 dilithium instead of 32,000? Yes I did. :)

Which is good, because I have, um, 120,000 dilithium backlogged Tier V purple sets to acquire. (Two more for the Romulan, all three of the Mk 12 Omega...)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #901 on: February 09, 2014, 03:05:56 PM

I continue to be confuzzled about how you acquire dilithium in such vast quantities.  My characters haven't ever had more than 30k at a time.

Not that it matters at the moment since ARC is being a bitch and not letting me log in.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #902 on: February 09, 2014, 03:15:29 PM

A combination of capping reputation runs, doff assignments and running dailies.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: February 09, 2014, 04:57:21 PM

I continue to be confuzzled about how you acquire dilithium in such vast quantities.  My characters haven't ever had more than 30k at a time.

Not that it matters at the moment since ARC is being a bitch and not letting me log in.
You get like 32,000 for capping reputation (it's a quick run there, turn it in quest). I happened to have NOT gotten around to turning in the one for Nukara, so with the bonus weekend -- I took the time.

Most of it is doff assignments -- 2000 for turning in contraband, and I can generally run another 1000 or so with misc other missions. Then there's dailies -- doing the Lore at starfleet academy is quick and easy for 480, and then just do some group PvE -- the daily PvE missions, and then elite missions or just regular Omega missions.

I don't really grind for it, I just don't spend it that often. I've got 55k to refine, but 48 of that was a one-off (well, 32k+16k bonus) Nukara rep. I've got a Dyson one coming soon for another 32,000 though..

Just make sure to always keep an eye out for Confiscate Contraband from Crew and Inspect Freighters and try for crits. I've got a stack of 45 contraband in my inventory whcih is what, 2 or 3k per 5?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #904 on: February 09, 2014, 06:00:47 PM

Ah.. I have yet to cap a single rep (grind..grind..grind) and I always fail the contraband Doff mission.  I should buy some purple security personnel.

The dailies and such I'm doing, it's just time then. Good to know, thanks.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: February 09, 2014, 06:15:52 PM

Ah.. I have yet to cap a single rep (grind..grind..grind) and I always fail the contraband Doff mission.  I should buy some purple security personnel.

Yeah, I put serious work into my doffs. :) Mostly to get good purples for the space/ground slots I wanted, but once you finish some of the colonization quest chains you get a lot of purple doffs.

It takes a lot longer to make it than to spend it. The 45k now that I have left to refine is all spoken for, as is another 50k on top of that. But that's because I'm currently buying 2 sets (three pieces each) of Mark XII purple rep gear. Which is, short of fleet bases, about as pricey as it gets. :)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #906 on: February 09, 2014, 08:37:55 PM

I just blew all of my Dil on two sets of XII Dyson ship gear, I'll do it again for XII Omega and MACO ground gear, so I'm basically done for when it comes to dil for at least another month or two.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: February 09, 2014, 10:59:48 PM

You installed ARC? o_O

I guess the Khan outfits are nice and all, but seriously: fuck bloatware.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: February 10, 2014, 06:28:14 AM

Admittedly, the only reason i capped Dyson rep so easily is the mark packages from the Winter event. (Winter Epohh breeding). Also generated the marks to cap Nukara (I was close anyways), and for the Borg and Romulan Space gear sets I was buying.

What's ARC?
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: February 10, 2014, 06:46:09 AM

I started playing this again after a few months away, and holy hell.  The Sphere is really well done and I enjoyed pretty much everything in it.  This game may have some long-standing warts but the art direction definitely isn't one of them.  A stand out moment is when you are in the subspace network access area and the different worlds appear as you approach various platforms. 

I'm generally not a ground guy but I hopped down to the battle zone just to check the place out and the next thing I know it's three hours later and I had a blast.  I want player mechsuits now.

As someone who has six non-mule alts I also really appreciated the addition of the reputation sponsorship token.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online : A New and Unbroken Thread!  
Jump to: