Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:05:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 87078 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:26 PM

Finally got around to seeing this. Liked it quite a bit. Alien and Aliens are still much better films, but from a rough read through this thread, not seeing the problems others saw. Well, other than the Geologist dude. That was just weird.

beer geek.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: June 18, 2012, 02:49:24 PM

My position has softened on this movie. 

I'm not going to go see it again, but might buy the Director's Extended Cut OMGWTFBBQ editon for the extra footage, I'm always a sucker for that.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #212 on: June 18, 2012, 04:03:34 PM

Plus, what is good tension when scientists play it safe? 

Andromeda strain

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #213 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

Plus, what is good tension when scientists play it safe? 

Andromeda strain

Benjamin Bratt was great in that.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: June 19, 2012, 06:52:36 AM

It's a crew going to an unknown solar system with two years in stasis.  The real top-notch people won't be swayed by money.  They needed either True Believers (the starry-eyed dimwits) or the A-Team (mercs and the personalities that come with).

Yes some really dumb shit happened, but it probably wasn't all that out of character given this was probably a first contact situation led by starry-eyed dimwits.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:10 AM

I saw it on Saturday and took some time to think about it. The more I think about it the more the movie falls apart and only adds to the "everything after Aliens was shit" history of this franchise. Between this and Robin Hood I'm thinking it's about time Ridley retires.

My problems with the movie:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: June 19, 2012, 12:21:25 PM

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: June 19, 2012, 01:03:20 PM

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:43 PM

beer geek.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #219 on: June 19, 2012, 02:54:54 PM

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #220 on: June 19, 2012, 03:45:35 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: June 19, 2012, 09:25:25 PM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: June 19, 2012, 10:33:30 PM

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #223 on: June 20, 2012, 03:56:38 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #224 on: June 20, 2012, 04:41:58 AM

David's story was the only one that really intrigued me.  I felt that a little more examination there and a little less "lol, biologist & geologist odd-couple!" would have helped a lot.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: June 20, 2012, 06:53:10 AM

That is the only picture I could find that has a good idea of scale. They are clearly taller but not twice the size and not the same size as the one in Alien which was freaking gigantic.

That is a pre post-production still. You can clearly see filming equipment in shot. Therefore you're comparing a relatively normal size human being portraying a giant alien before anyone's had the chance to digitally embiggen him as he appears in the movie.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: June 20, 2012, 02:54:18 PM

That is the only picture I could find that has a good idea of scale. They are clearly taller but not twice the size and not the same size as the one in Alien which was freaking gigantic.

That is a pre post-production still. You can clearly see filming equipment in shot. Therefore you're comparing a relatively normal size human being portraying a giant alien before anyone's had the chance to digitally embiggen him as he appears in the movie.

True but my memory of the movie is that that is about the right size. I don't remember them being 2x the size of a human just large like say a basketball player compared to an average man.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #227 on: June 20, 2012, 03:26:41 PM

Consider the size of the helmet/ head.  It was easily the size of the woman scientist's torso.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: June 21, 2012, 07:30:36 AM

Hay guys!

They totally adjusted the size in the decades between movies, they also completely remodeled that room with cryobeds and chairs ( not in the first movie ).

Who gives a shit!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:32:34 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
RT81
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:27 PM

Some internet dude breaks down all the symbolism for us.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

I was very interested in seeing this in the theater, but the reactions online, and the fact that Lindork wrote some of it, makes me want to wait for Blu-Ray, so I can watch it in the comfort of my underwear.

I'm unlurking for a bit here because this really confuses me. Are we supposed to watch and get all that out of it? Did they intentionally make it obscured to encourage every nerd on the internet to translate the movie for us? Am I just stupid for not catching any of it? I'm serious here, I feel dumb because I didn't notice any of that stuff. It's all very intriguing, but it would have been nice if the movie would have been just a tad bit more obvious about it.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: June 21, 2012, 10:24:52 PM

Not only was it hidden from the audience, it seems to have been hidden from the characters. Including the things they themselves experienced in the previous scene

Maybe the film's supposed to be watched backwards.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: June 22, 2012, 08:35:53 PM

Some internet dude breaks down all the symbolism for us.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

I was very interested in seeing this in the theater, but the reactions online, and the fact that Lindork wrote some of it, makes me want to wait for Blu-Ray, so I can watch it in the comfort of my underwear.

I'm unlurking for a bit here because this really confuses me. Are we supposed to watch and get all that out of it? Did they intentionally make it obscured to encourage every nerd on the internet to translate the movie for us? Am I just stupid for not catching any of it? I'm serious here, I feel dumb because I didn't notice any of that stuff. It's all very intriguing, but it would have been nice if the movie would have been just a tad bit more obvious about it.

Damon Lindorff is a pretentious moron. That's all you need to take away from the article.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: June 22, 2012, 08:59:29 PM

They totally adjusted the size in the decades between movies, they also completely remodeled that room with cryobeds and chairs ( not in the first movie ).

It's not the same place!

(Which is a fault of the movie, let's get real - at some point in the script it clearly was the same place)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: June 26, 2012, 08:07:54 AM

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:12:34 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: June 26, 2012, 08:31:54 AM

He was a geologist.  I assume he was into Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

(Get it? DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:09 AM

He was a geologist.  I assume he was into Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

(Get it? DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

Fixed.
And  rolleyes

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: June 26, 2012, 09:15:30 AM

His best role yet.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #237 on: June 26, 2012, 09:24:08 PM

I'm nursing a pet theory that the xenomorph existed before the engies found it, dicked with the dna and made a black goo soup to use as WMD. The black soup went and horked the planet from Prometheus, but that doesn't mean that the xenomorph from Alien was a WMD; perhaps it was the original species.[/spoiler]

The aliens have a canon homeworld, A6 454. It was used in several of the old Dark Horse comics and the game AvP3. They're the dominant life form, but not the only one, and not the most dangerous one. They never go into much detail, but it's supposed to be some sort of fucked up deathworld where everything preys on everything else. Of course it's doubtful they've stuck to that, nor does it mean that the Engineers couldn't have taken some and fiddled with them.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:09 PM

So if the xenomorphs are weapons, who are the Engineers using them on? 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #239 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:37 PM

Us.  That was pretty much the entire plot of the movie.   swamp poop
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: June 27, 2012, 05:41:09 PM

It's theorised that the Engineers are in the middle of a civil war. Any biological weapon that works on Humans should work on Engineers - we're the eugenic guinea pigs for one faction of Ubermenschen's mass extermination experiments.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: June 27, 2012, 06:36:21 PM

If that's the case why did they want us to go to that planet.

The actual plot of the movie was
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #242 on: June 27, 2012, 09:05:28 PM

If that's the case why did they want us to go to that planet.

The actual plot of the movie was

Yes, that was a thing, but... did you not watch the movie?   Head scratch  There's not really anything ambiguous about it.  That's why they have to crash the thing into the other thing.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:15 PM

Again, it's not hard to infer that we were created in god's(engi's) image to be...something. Slaves, worshippers, evolved like them? Then something happened and the plan changed. Up until that point they were wanting us to go back to the cradle of life, when they changed their minds though, eden turned sour and they developed the means to destroy what they created.

Whether they invented the alien or not is up to speculation since it's on the mural on clearly existed in some form before the end of the movie.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #244 on: June 28, 2012, 04:48:02 AM

Again, it's not hard to infer that we were created in god's(engi's) image to be...something. Slaves, worshippers, evolved like them? Then something happened and the plan changed.

We killed Jesus.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: