Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 87205 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #175 on: June 15, 2012, 11:15:14 AM

I doubt you can recapture that lightning in a bottle, but the emotions played out on screen in Alien probably set the bar too high for any of the following iterations of it. This one just seemed to lack any connection to it as has been said in the thread. Guess scientists really are unfeeling assholes as opposed to blue collar workers.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #176 on: June 15, 2012, 01:09:03 PM

Because LOST was a Failure.

My point was that the problems of the show carried over into what could have been a promising movie premise. The man only knows how to write checks he can't possibly cash.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: June 15, 2012, 01:14:06 PM

Lost wasn't a failure.  Just sayin'.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #178 on: June 15, 2012, 02:42:44 PM

Lost wasn't a failure.  Just sayin'.

I don't think it was a "failure." I think the writer who did both lacks the ability to formulate a story without relying on the crutch of "tune in NEXT episode for the answers!"

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: June 15, 2012, 02:49:16 PM

I wasn't talking to you.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #180 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:17 AM

Lost wasn't a failure and I liked the ending. It wasn't perfect, but I thought it encapsulated the show fairly well, especially in comparison to the ending people expected. It obviously wasn't a financial failure, but I don't think it was a narrative one either. YMMV.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #181 on: June 16, 2012, 04:48:27 PM

There's a ton of great artwork and a so forth that make the movie a worthy flick for any sci-fi fan, but this feels like a project with so many cooks in the kitchen they end up not being able to boil a simple egg, much less something with wildly ambitious philosophical goals.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: June 16, 2012, 06:16:11 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: June 17, 2012, 12:31:52 AM

Why is the Scottish geologist a sociopathic twat from the get go?

Seriously ?

Is this more Green ?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #184 on: June 17, 2012, 12:51:51 AM

Nah, Scottish jokes aside, it was entirely over the top, unexplained hostility, which ended up looking like poor acting, although it was just plain ole awkward script writing.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 17, 2012, 01:18:33 AM

Yeah, a lot of character actions kind of made me go "what the fuck were you thinking" too.  

I mean, the way some of the characters act, I wouldnt be surprised to find out there is a hidden undeground lab out there with a bunch of office types in lab coats having it on with the Prometheus crew.  Control to Chem Department, did you finish treating their respirator tanks?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:20:05 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: June 17, 2012, 03:50:06 AM

If you took a cheap, crappy, ultra-low budget 1950's SF movie and made it in the 21st century with 200 million dollars, you'd have Prometheus. It's like someone resurrected Ed Wood and told him to make a sequel to Alien.

Though come to think of it, I'm wrong. Ed Wood had a dream. Whoever made that piece of crap had a bad dream that was read by an Android without feelings, likeability, comprehension, musical ability (seriously, the music through the ENTIRE FILM was wrong), character motivation, plot making ability oe the knowledge of how to scare people, and then try and make a film about Aliens. Who are 100% human.

Or and somehow we need to get a Giant Squid that increased in size 1000 fold inside a medical bay made of plastic and end the movie in a nuclear explosion. And don't end the movie without ending the movie first. And also have a zombie. Because EVERY Ed Wood movie needs something that came back from the grave.

OMG. The Alien engineer's play was PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE. It all makes sense now!

BUT WAIT THERE'S YET ANOTHER ENDING. After this next one.

When we can fly this ship at faster than light speed.

For the sequel.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:52:14 AM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: June 17, 2012, 05:55:00 AM

The squid was what kinda crossed the line for me, even in the world of alien with its sketchy biology, the squid was a bit much.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: June 17, 2012, 05:58:25 AM

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Holloway
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: June 17, 2012, 06:39:18 AM

Yeah, I completely forgot about the mind boggling Biology traits anything remotely associated with the Xenomorphs have.  Nothing says realistic Biology like things derived directly from human DNA that have:
- Acidic blood hundreds of times stronger then anything remotely reasonable
- The ability to gestate from fetus to man sized or larger in a matter of hours
- The ability to increase in size and mass so extremely out of proportion to caloric intake that it practically defies the laws of Conservation of Energy

I mean,

Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: June 17, 2012, 07:13:00 AM

Yeah, I completely forgot about the mind boggling Biology traits anything remotely associated with the Xenomorphs have.  Nothing says realistic Biology like things derived directly from human DNA that have:
- Acidic blood hundreds of times stronger then anything remotely reasonable
- The ability to gestate from fetus to man sized or larger in a matter of hours
- The ability to increase in size and mass so extremely out of proportion to caloric intake that it practically defies the laws of Conservation of Energy

I mean,

A wizard did it...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #191 on: June 17, 2012, 07:28:31 AM

Saw it this weekend.

It was an object lesson in poor research protocols, bad personnel selection and hilarious under-staffing.

Who needs a watch on an unknown creepy planet? Let's just all have sex instead!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #192 on: June 17, 2012, 07:31:01 AM

Nah, Scottish jokes aside, it was entirely over the top, unexplained hostility, which ended up looking like poor acting, although it was just plain ole awkward script writing.

I thought he was a mercenary at first.  A predecessor to the space marines from Aliens or something like that.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #193 on: June 17, 2012, 03:32:32 PM

From pretty much the moment that anyone took their helmet off, I was  Facepalm

Just saw it this afternoon as my Dad's-day present and I was the same way.   

"Wtf.. why are you even doing that.  Nooooo, stupid!"

The movie straddles an odd line between hard science and fantasy science while also dipping toes in philosophy and horror.   It never quite gets them all right and I blame that on the script and the writer's inexperience.   (Or perhaps he just approaches everything this half-assed.)   

Not to mention so much of the movie was entirely pointless to the narrative.   
Ending thoughts:

Saw it this weekend.

It was an object lesson in poor research protocols, bad personnel selection and hilarious under-staffing.

Who needs a watch on an unknown creepy planet? Let's just all have sex instead!

See what happens when you put things in the hands of corporations!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: June 17, 2012, 03:55:56 PM

This was a different planet than LV-426 where the first two movies were based.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #195 on: June 17, 2012, 04:03:24 PM

Oh shit, I missed that. Well now it makes even less sense to me.  swamp poop

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: June 17, 2012, 04:14:32 PM

Oh shit, I missed that. Well now it makes even less sense to me.  swamp poop

Yeah, a lot of people were confused like that. Speculation is it was supposed to be the same planet but got re-written late. The naming and the fact that it appears to be staged similarly on purpose is odd.

Apparently late in the game they did a script pass to make it less directly connected to Alien.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #197 on: June 17, 2012, 04:43:47 PM

(Or perhaps he just approaches everything this half-assed.)   

I don't think that's the case with Lindelof. I think his greatest strength as a writer is the ability to set a stage and give you a reason to give a shit about the coming material. If he was in charge of the first 1/4 of every story, and then forcibly removed from the project so that someone else actually moved his setpieces to a natural conclusion, the ending result would ultimately be better.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #198 on: June 17, 2012, 05:14:44 PM

Meh.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: June 17, 2012, 05:29:08 PM

Yeah, a lot of people were confused like that. Speculation is it was supposed to be the same planet but got re-written late. The naming and the fact that it appears to be staged similarly on purpose is odd.

Apparently late in the game they did a script pass to make it less directly connected to Alien.

Well at least it got me thinking on how this movie would line up with the originals.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: June 17, 2012, 06:05:02 PM

I have come to a theory regarding the abject stupidity on display during the events of Prometheus. It's not much, but it makes some sense.

These people have been asleep for 2 years. They have been put into a sustained vegetative state, not much more than a coma, for a significant period of time. Now, I suspect that there's all sorts of hard sci-fi medical mumbo jumbo in their cryo-tubes that stops them all from actually becoming dribbling vegetables, but being forcibly woken up from a 2 year coma is still likely to leave a person with a fair degree of (possibly non-permanent) brain damage. Because while these people were hand-picked for their professional backgrounds, their actions imply some serious form of cognitive disability which I'm going to posit is simply because they all have the MOTHER of all jet-lag. "Eat space-pap to regain muscle mass! Drink sticky sweet space-pop to give you energy!" suggested the creepy automated Lunchlady voice. That it omits to tell them to take their space-Omega 3 supplements to stimulate brain activity was either an operational snafu or David Did It.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #201 on: June 17, 2012, 06:15:59 PM

Maybe Senator Palpatine was using the Dark Side to cloud their minds.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #202 on: June 17, 2012, 06:51:05 PM

Horror works with teens because they have notoriously bad decision making skills.  Hormones literally make them stupid.   It's almost passable with blue-collar 'real joes' because not all of them are street smart.  People at the pinnacle of their field breaking protocol because LOL ALIENS..   no.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: June 17, 2012, 11:09:08 PM

David Did It.
This one also bugs me quite a bit.   You could write a fairly thick book based simply around attempting to figure out what the fuck David was doing / thinking throughout the entire movie.  Many of his actions are so downright bizzard you just have to wonder what was going through his head.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: June 17, 2012, 11:11:26 PM

This one also bugs me quite a bit.   You could write a fairly thick book based simply around attempting to figure out what the fuck David was doing / thinking throughout the entire movie. 

Would you write this book before or after you wrote one about the Lost numbers?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: June 18, 2012, 01:00:13 AM

Maybe Senator Palpatine was using the Dark Side to cloud their minds.

GOLD JERRY.

Also, bizzard.  Great new word.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: June 18, 2012, 07:42:46 AM

Also, I guess this movie pretty much confirms that the Aliens VS Predators movies are completely not part of the Aliens franchise cannon

I don't think they've ever been considered canon. Ill thought out fan-service, certainly.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:52 AM

Also, I guess this movie pretty much confirms that the Aliens VS Predators movies are completely not part of the Aliens franchise cannon

I don't think they've ever been considered canon. Ill thought out fan-service, certainly.

Predator 2 had an alien skull included as a trophy, and I believe was always considered canon or permission was secured to do it from some rights holder....  it launched a gazillion other works with Alien/Predator crossovers.

The reality is that the Aliens folks never gave a shit about any kind of continuity anywhere at any time, which was why each movie did pretty much whatever it wanted. 
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: June 18, 2012, 08:02:14 AM

Well at least it got me thinking on how this movie would line up with the originals.

The problem with that thinking is that...

And a flute? Really, a fucking FLUTE!?

This video is full of spoilers, but I can't stop laughing at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:08:32 AM by murdoc »

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: June 18, 2012, 08:31:12 AM

The problem with that thinking is that...

And a flute? Really, a fucking FLUTE!?

This video is full of spoilers, but I can't stop laughing at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

Hence my final statement... I am rethinking things and hurting myself in the process.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: