Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 86417 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #105 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:06 PM

My decision was made not to see it when I found out David Lindelof was a co-writer of the screenplay. I'll never give that jackass any money ever again. He's an idiot.

Here's his quote about why he what he told Scott about the story:

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #106 on: June 08, 2012, 12:57:20 PM

Second reason I hate Lindelof: He thought the ending to the Sopranos was "empirically brilliant."

I want to shoot him in the face.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09:02 PM

Stop sitting on the fence.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: June 08, 2012, 01:12:49 PM

Of course its worth seeing.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: June 08, 2012, 05:12:44 PM

Just saw it.  Still need to process some of it but it was decent, not great.  Good to see hard sci-fi on the screen.

Great sets, great visuals, great costumes and a nice mystery.  But the script was weak and I didn't much care for the actors.  I remember actually wondering who I was supposed to root for.  Also, why was Charlize Theron's character there?  Then I went to the can (thanks 30oz Cherry Slurpee) and considered just leaving. 

But I stuck it out and the movie picked up finally.  As someone said, it's Scott's version of 2001:  A Space Odyssey. 

Sadly, I think Scott's best days are behind him.  KoH, Robin Hood and now Promethus are well crafted, visually striking snore fests.  Or maybe he should 1.  Get better scripts and 2. Get leading actors who don't phone it in.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #110 on: June 08, 2012, 05:22:26 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson Tweet:

https://twitter.com/#!/neiltyson

Prometheus goes 35 light yrs into space, but CharlizeTheron gaffes "We're a half billion miles from Earth"- just past Jupiter

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #111 on: June 08, 2012, 07:35:05 PM

Saw it as soon as I got out of work, and was immensely underwhelmed.  Bad script, silly story, and uninteresting characters.

Scott delivered on the visuals and for the first few minutes I thought it was like he was channeling Terrence Mallick.  Then it just sailed along aimlessly and nothing really gripping ever happened.

Yeah, Charlize Theron's character was pointless...

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #112 on: June 09, 2012, 03:29:23 AM

Saw it. Visually fantastic. Actors are good, well-cast and able. Unfortunately, the script did no do any of them justice, and the whole story tottered around like a mish-mash of jenga pieces and gummi bears.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 09, 2012, 03:35:05 AM

Saw it as soon as I got out of work, and was immensely underwhelmed.  Bad script, silly story, and uninteresting characters.

Scott delivered on the visuals and for the first few minutes I thought it was like he was channeling Terrence Mallick.  Then it just sailed along aimlessly and nothing really gripping ever happened.

Why would you expect panicked characters to act like Spock?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:11 AM

Saw it in 3D last night. As others have said, the film itself is gorgeous. I thought the story was decent enough, if rather predictable, but I didn't go into the theater expecting anything amazing.

The 3D was passable; there weren't too many "things flying at your face moments" and the rest of it was done alright. We only saw it in 3D because we were half an hour late for the last non-3D version; I usually avoid 3D because wearing the glasses on top of my regular glasses is pretty uncomfortable.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: June 09, 2012, 06:39:50 PM

Saw it as soon as I got out of work, and was immensely underwhelmed.  Bad script, silly story, and uninteresting characters.

Scott delivered on the visuals and for the first few minutes I thought it was like he was channeling Terrence Mallick.  Then it just sailed along aimlessly and nothing really gripping ever happened.

Why would you expect panicked characters to act like Spock?

Because its inconsistent and flippant. When a character is built up and played throughout the whole movie as a badass, having them suddenly start acting like a high-school cheerleader in a b-grade slasher flick is stupid.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 09, 2012, 06:56:42 PM

I don't feel like Meredith Vickers is ever built up as a badass in the movie. A hardass, certainly - especially when it comes to situations that put her own personal safety on the line.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:59:20 PM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 09, 2012, 07:02:01 PM

I thought it was like he was channeling Terrence Mallick.  Then it just sailed along aimlessly and nothing really gripping ever happened.

FIFY.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #118 on: June 09, 2012, 07:18:31 PM

I don't feel like Meredith Vickers is ever built up as a badass in the movie. A hardass, certainly - especially when it comes to situations that put her own personal safety on the line.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:22:23 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #119 on: June 09, 2012, 07:27:25 PM

People do not make perfect decisions always, especially not quick snap decisions in life threatening situations.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:52 PM

I quite enjoyed it.  Maybe not the best film I've seen, but it was a good sci-fi flick and it felt 'familiar'.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 09, 2012, 08:36:38 PM

Opinions itt. I'd argue with you on this, but I can't be arsed, movie is not worth it.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 09, 2012, 09:12:59 PM

Just saw the movie and it wasn't bad. Felt like this thing needed a other 30min though, just wanted more out of it, especially the end.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #123 on: June 09, 2012, 10:05:47 PM

This movie tried really hard to pretend it was smart. It wasn't. :(
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #124 on: June 10, 2012, 02:59:47 AM

Just saw it at my local CineTorrentPlexx. The best thing about is the David 'viral' trailer  Heartbreak Heartbreak

It's enjoyable as generic action-horror SF film. Don't watch if you expect somethnig in the style or quality of Alien 1.

Overall I am ok with it, good evening entertaiment (if you had a few beers beforehand).

Anyone who liked Blade Runner and wishes for a sequel should reconsider now.

Edit: The flm (especially at the end) makes attempts to be 'deep' and mysterious and fails.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:31:18 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #125 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:47 AM

This movie tried really hard to pretend it was smart. It wasn't. :(

I am pretty sure you can blame Lindelof for that. The main complaints after this weekend have centered on the script and the story.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: June 10, 2012, 08:10:47 AM

It was just too...tame.  Some of the performances were downright excellent, the scenery and fx were great but the story told nothing other then omg aliens.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 10, 2012, 12:18:33 PM

FYI, Madagascar 3 just beat this at the number 1 spot....just sayin'  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 10, 2012, 02:41:32 PM

My decision was made not to see it when I found out David Lindelof was a co-writer of the screenplay. I'll never give that jackass any money ever again. He's an idiot.

Here's his quote about why he what he told Scott about the story:

If you were a fan of World War Z and looking forward to seeing it on screen, then you'll love this.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2012/06/10/19859476-wenn.html
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #129 on: June 10, 2012, 05:29:14 PM

FYI, Madagascar 3 just beat this at the number 1 spot....just sayin'  why so serious?

A family movie will almost always beat an R-rated horror film. Particularly in the Summer.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 10, 2012, 06:34:26 PM

Some internet dude breaks down all the symbolism for us.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

I was very interested in seeing this in the theater, but the reactions online, and the fact that Lindork wrote some of it, makes me want to wait for Blu-Ray, so I can watch it in the comfort of my underwear.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #131 on: June 10, 2012, 06:58:47 PM

If you ever intend to see it I would do it in a theater.  The main redeeming quality of the film, which has been uniformly praised here, is the visual appeal and immense scale of the imagery.  I think that would be lost outside of a theater.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #132 on: June 10, 2012, 08:02:37 PM

If you were a fan of World War Z and looking forward to seeing it on screen, then you'll love this.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2012/06/10/19859476-wenn.html

That studio deserves what it will get for believing that Lindelof will magically save a picture. It's even more ironic that they bring him to to solve a problem with the ending.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 10, 2012, 08:41:25 PM

Some internet dude breaks down all the symbolism for us.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

I was very interested in seeing this in the theater, but the reactions online, and the fact that Lindork wrote some of it, makes me want to wait for Blu-Ray, so I can watch it in the comfort of my underwear.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 10, 2012, 08:58:41 PM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 10, 2012, 10:24:14 PM

For a movie that wasn't very smartly portrayed for being 'hard' sci-fi, it has smart undertones if you dig.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:27:30 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 10, 2012, 10:40:02 PM

If you ever intend to see it I would do it in a theater.  The main redeeming quality of the film, which has been uniformly praised here, is the visual appeal and immense scale of the imagery.  I think that would be lost outside of a theater.

I'm one of those picky motherfuckers who likes a decent story to go along with the great visuals as my motivation for getting out from under my rock and out to the theater.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 11, 2012, 06:09:49 AM

Ghambit

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:03 AM

Taking it further...

Angels/the devil were gods first creation which ultimately led a rebellion against heaven. Staying with christian mythos here since it's the only one I know well enough but it leads me to believe the xenomorph was created long before humans. In fact the engineer in the opening may not have been creating humanity in that scene, he may have been creating the alien. Unfortunately the creation was flawed so god then made humanity "in his image" though likely 200 years ago the engineers felt that humanity was also flawed and decided it was time for armaggeddon "hell on earth" sending the devil to mankind, etc.  We see the alien as many things, the black goo, serpents, squidbilly and the traditional xenomorph so that many are one, legion. We still don't see what was chasing the engineers and killing them but oddly, the goo seems contained and there's no trace of struggle, only trying to flee which is the big question in my mind.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:46 AM

Ghambit

I was stretching since it has been well documented that Scott is pretty against religion.

Either way, life begets death.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: