Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  (Read 191563 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1085 on: December 14, 2011, 05:42:48 PM

I'm curious what the early class breakdown looks like.  From the sound of it, Inquisitor seems to be by far the most popular choice on the Empire side so far.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with shooting lightning from their fingers.

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1086 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:40 PM

For me it totally doesn't! I simply love being a bitchy pink man twi'lek.  Heart

Not that I've played him yet, but he exists!

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1087 on: December 14, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

I'm curious what the early class breakdown looks like.  From the sound of it, Inquisitor seems to be by far the most popular choice on the Empire side so far.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with shooting lightning from their fingers.

They were the OP class in Beta. Specifically the Healing and Casting trees on the Sorc side. They got a little nerfed at the end of Beta but I imagine the reputation is still lingering. People should be latching onto the NEW OP class in couple weeks or so, Commando/Mercs  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1088 on: December 14, 2011, 07:03:01 PM

The lightning is cool, but mostly it's the goth.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: December 14, 2011, 07:19:45 PM

Goth.. that's so not me!

I'm sad that they seem to be as popular as they are so far, since I'd rather not play the 'huntard/ret paladin' class.

Over and out.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: December 14, 2011, 07:26:15 PM

No worries.  Mattemeo and I have already volunteered your Inquisitor for a full-time group. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: December 14, 2011, 08:04:33 PM

Goth.. that's so not me!

I'm sad that they seem to be as popular as they are so far, since I'd rather not play the 'huntard/ret paladin' class.

The Huntard/Ret Paladin is the dual wield Jedi/Sith's.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: December 14, 2011, 09:25:18 PM

I'm really not sure if I like that whole Legacy system they're doing.  For one thing, it encourages deleting and rerolling characters?  Head scratch  For another, since it says one of the things you can unlock is new character creation options, and there's no way to go back and change any of your characters' appearances currently, it sounds like it would be a bad idea to start leveling up alts right now.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1093 on: December 14, 2011, 09:29:21 PM

We need wookie barbers, STAT!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1094 on: December 15, 2011, 02:47:06 AM

I know you don't want to hear people unhappy with SWTOR, but let me vent my frustration here just one more final time. If possible I'm liking it even less than the beta. Republic Trooper story is horrible so far compared to Empire Bounty Hunter, and having played Mass Effect a lot in the last 2 weeks only made things worse.  All my other qualms stay, clunky interface, bland combat, horrible encounters, poor dungeons, pathetic itemization, sad ugly empty and cardboardy world, utterly subpar questing, lack of customization, poor visuals, terrible pvp, ...but at least the storytelling was great. While now, I feel that once again we set our bar so very low just because "it's an MMO", cause what we have here, storytelling-wise, is a cheap version of stuff that this same software house was doing about 5 years ago.

Also, this is certainly me, but the whole design of the game makes it hard for me to play it with people considering that I want to follow the story and listen to the dialogues but everyone chattering in TeamSpeak/Ventrilo inevitably take away from the cinematic (?) mood of it. As a result, either we quest together and everyone pressures you into clicking as fast as possible (or they just talk over stuff, see above), or I turn voice chat off and play it as a single player which doesn't hold a candle to much much older titles.

This game could have been awesome, epic, great. They had the tools, the people and the money to make it. It's depressing to see how generally disappointing the final product is.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1095 on: December 15, 2011, 02:52:05 AM

Is it too late to cancel your preorder?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1096 on: December 15, 2011, 02:54:32 AM

I admit I never understood the particular appeal of being in voice chat all the time, but I can see why that would be annoying with this game in particular.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1097 on: December 15, 2011, 03:09:28 AM

I tap on the keyboard all day long, I'd rather just disintegrate into my chair during the evening and expend as little effort as possible - which includes talking instead of typing. Then again, I did say i'll mostly solo stuff in TOR so I don't care much about vent chat. I did quest a bit with a friend and we were on skype, and it was quite fun making fun of each other's reponses. We didn't talk over the dialogue though :)

Falc, I don't know how that experience is any different from beta? Why would you have any different expectations coming into release? I'm fine just swinging my lightsabre around and enjoying the nicely written dialogue, much like Dragon Age 2, not much of a game, not much of a story, but smart writting (dialogue in particular) is what gets me :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:12:21 AM by Wolf »

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1098 on: December 15, 2011, 03:23:20 AM

No wolf, no different. It's me. I am just venting frustration as I said, due to a worse storyline that the one I tested, and Mass Effect 1 reminding me how better at that (storytelling) Bioware can be.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1099 on: December 15, 2011, 04:26:41 AM

The trooper SL sucked on the starting world until about level 8, then it got better.   IMO at least.  I gave up on it after level 6/7 in the beta weekend until folks said it got better and I went back to give it another shot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: December 15, 2011, 04:31:47 AM

No wolf, no different. It's me. I am just venting frustration as I said, due to a worse storyline that the one I tested, and Mass Effect 1 reminding me how better at that (storytelling) Bioware can be.

Have you tried the Imperial Agent at all? I only played it up to the end of Dromund Kaas in the beta but the storyline was the best I experienced up to that point. If you're intending to stick it out and trying to get a good story out of the game at least, it might be worth giving a go.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1101 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:30 AM

Out of the 7-8 I played, trooper was the worst but the beginning of IA (first 6-7lvls of Hutta) were probably second worst. It got so much better that it'll probably end up being my second character.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1102 on: December 15, 2011, 05:28:51 AM

As far as gripes go I'm not very happy with the textures myself.  I love the style and everything looks great from a distance.  Up close the textures on my characters are not what I'd expect though.   I don't know if it's still bugged or what but they need a higher texture option for people with computers that can handle it.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1103 on: December 15, 2011, 05:34:53 AM

As far as gripes go I'm not very happy with the textures myself.  I love the style and everything looks great from a distance.  Up close the textures on my characters are not what I'd expect though.   I don't know if it's still bugged or what but they need a higher texture option for people with computers that can handle it.

From what I've been able to tell, high-res textures are only used in the cutscenes. I was very disappointed when my first one ended and the textures went back to being sub-par. One thing I noticed however, is that medium and high texture settings are the same (there's no visible change in quality and the game world doesn't redraw like when you switch between low and medium) so I'm still hoping they'll get around to enabling them, along with anti-aliasing I don't have to force through the .ini file, some time soon.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: December 15, 2011, 05:43:18 AM

From what I've been able to tell, high-res textures are only used in the cutscenes. I was very disappointed when my first one ended and the textures went back to being sub-par.

It's hit and miss on that.  Most of the time all my textures are the same ones used in cutscenes now.   I never get pop-in anymore thankfully.    They aren't horrible but they are not high quality.    It's simply a matter of the textures not being high enough res too.    The problems with them are always blockiness on select parts due to stretching.    It's not a huge deal it would just be nice to have higher res versions of the originals.   They have them and my computer can easily handle it as an optional download.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1105 on: December 15, 2011, 05:51:15 AM

Wow.  There isn't a bit of original thought in this game.  From the opening scene, which is Episode I-VI all over again, to the Wow-esque gameplay.  And I have to say that so far it doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm enjoying it so far. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1106 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:56 AM

I know you don't want to hear people unhappy with SWTOR, but let me vent my frustration here just one more final time.
Nah, Falc. You're at least stating your unhappiness pretty rationally.

I only ask folks refrain from venting about stuff in guild chat, where people are trying to enjoy themselves. The forum is the appropriate venue for this stuff.

Sucks that some folks aren't digging it. I'm worried about how much I enjoy TOR.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: December 15, 2011, 06:55:30 AM

Armor textures and whatnot are usually fine. There are some glaring low/shit textures mixed in. My trooper's armor plating? Great. His sleeves? 1992 style color blending at the lines. My Consular's armor looks pretty awesome all day long, though.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:13 AM

Wow.  There isn't a bit of original thought in this game.  From the opening scene, which is Episode I-VI all over again, to the Wow-esque gameplay.  And I have to say that so far it doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm enjoying it so far. 

The question is if it bothers you three months from now. I say this as someone impatiently waiting on my access email.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1109 on: December 15, 2011, 07:35:32 AM

Armor textures and whatnot are usually fine. There are some glaring low/shit textures mixed in. My trooper's armor plating? Great. His sleeves? 1992 style color blending at the lines. My Consular's armor looks pretty awesome all day long, though.

There's surprisingly little cliping though, which is the bane of WoW armor textures. In WoW horns, weird haircuts, beards, etc are clipping left and right, I never had that happen in TOR. Than again, races in TOR are basically humans, green humans, blue humans, gray humans and red humans.

Totally unrelated but I've always wanted to ask. Why do male twileks have human ears, but female ones have cone not-ears?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:53:24 AM by Wolf »

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1110 on: December 15, 2011, 07:47:47 AM

My guess is it has something to do with bridles!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:57:01 AM by Pezzle »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1111 on: December 15, 2011, 07:52:31 AM

My pet theory is, that's because the males have to listen to what the females tell them, while the females do as they please.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1112 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:09 AM

No, there's a ton of clipping. Doesn't bug me, but it's there. My BH handler had her pistol clip out her butt for the lol. Maybe she was just happy to see me.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1113 on: December 15, 2011, 08:02:34 AM

I managed to get a few levels in last night. Tonight, I am not the only parent at home in the evening, so I am hoping to get my ass off Korriban and into double-digits level-wise. Everything ran great, the servers seem to be pretty well spread out population-wise.

I'm glad that I saved the Sith Inquisitor stuff for launch. This story is way better so far than the one for the Jedi Knight.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1114 on: December 15, 2011, 08:44:05 AM

The opening landing for the Imperial agent (or maybe it was bounty hunter) has the ship clip right through an entire tower.  There is a lot more clipping with items and armor.  I don't really care though.

I can see all of Falc's points being valid (except complaints about the storyline) but it is very much a perspective, eye-of-the-beholder type thing.  Also, people wanted it to be like the movies and WoW, originality isn't all that great most of the time.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1115 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:54 AM

Is the NDA up?  Can we ask questions that might hurt some people's feelings?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1116 on: December 15, 2011, 08:50:34 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1117 on: December 15, 2011, 08:56:51 AM

My issue was that skills are one-to-one WoW skills. Then I played some on my sith Sorc, and I thought it's actually great for what I'm looking for in the game. I can play this without actually having to, you know, learn a new game. This is my power word: shield, my flash heal, my greater heal, my regrowth, my rejuv and this is my efflorecence. I know what these skills do and when to press one over the other, I'm instantly comfortable with them and don't have to experiment to know what works best.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1118 on: December 15, 2011, 09:06:25 AM

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: December 15, 2011, 09:08:48 AM

it was lifted around mid-november iirc

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  
Jump to: