Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  (Read 191571 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:23 AM

Then what is everyone doing here then?
Work.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1121 on: December 15, 2011, 10:33:10 AM

Then what is everyone doing here then?
Work.

^^

I have to say, its been a long long time since I have been this addicted to a game at release. I feel like a kid again, just want to rush home and play.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1122 on: December 15, 2011, 01:14:42 PM

I will third the work thing. I warned my wife that since she wasn't working a night shift today, it was going to be my night of catassery when I get home from work. Given that my kid will probably just watch me play because she likes the cut-scenes, it's not like having a second adult around is THAT beneficial. But still, I've probably lost more productivity today thinking about playing when I get home than I have since SWG launched.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: December 16, 2011, 12:24:08 AM

I had a great morning with my son. He presses the w key to make me move and let's me take over to fight.  About two hours in he says, "Dad, we're playing as the bad guys aren't we?" and gives me a slightly disapproving look.  He then wandered off to work on his puzzle.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:36:08 AM by Furiously »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1124 on: December 16, 2011, 12:30:59 AM

About two hours in he says, "Dad, we're playing as the bad guys aren't we?" and gives me a slightly disapproving look. 

You tell him, kid.  Heart

God Save the Horn Players
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1125 on: December 16, 2011, 12:31:54 AM

About two hours in he says, "Dad, we're playing as the bad guys aren't we?" and gives me a slightly disapproving look. 

You tell him, kid.  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1126 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:18 AM

Argh, fuck you.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1127 on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:30 AM

Well, that's the APOTHEOSIS of a "slightly disapproving look", don't blame me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: December 16, 2011, 02:35:44 AM

That's the slightly Downs Syndrome look.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: December 16, 2011, 06:29:52 AM

The disapproval bunny disapproves...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: December 16, 2011, 06:32:04 AM

Also, for info, judging from number of posts - if this forum hadn't been created we would have broken page 500 on the one thread this morning.

Oh what might have been...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:07 AM

I am so torn on what to level, and what I will wind up playing in the end. I mean, besides "with other people because my guild replaced me with a Companion" <3

Edit: Also, this is the CC breakingest launch crowd I've ever played with. Nice folks, but they apparently have never heard of focus fire.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:55:17 AM by kildorn »
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: December 16, 2011, 08:08:34 AM

Nor can they follow simple instructions like "when you see the lightning on the robot, back out of melee and kite him" or "Do not stand in the purple circles the sith guy creates.  Lightning hurts."

I let them die and we win anyway. 
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: December 16, 2011, 08:09:09 AM

Edit: Also, this is the CC breakingest launch crowd I've ever played with. Nice folks, but they apparently have never heard of focus fire.

Isn't that the crowd that pre-ordered fastest, hence gave up on cata earliest, hence basically the lich king dungeons crowd? WotLK dungeons, doing damage across multiple games  why so serious?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1134 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:31 AM

I am so torn on what to level, and what I will wind up playing in the end. I mean, besides "with other people because my guild replaced me with a Companion" <3

The first flashpoint sort of encourages people to be tardbuckets with all the little wimpy enemies, yes. I can't wait to do higher level ones when everyone has fully commited to derping up CC and the like.  why so serious?

I've been enjoying my smuggler, but almost entirely because of the story. Pure DPS just isn't my main-character sort of thing. But I found I am not a huge fan of other people having the same exact voice as me, so that makes the consular less attractive. My life is hard.  Ohhhhh, I see.  I think I'm going to reroll my trooper to be a boy, since I cannot handle Commander Shepard + catboy, and wave a sad farewell to my Republic-side boy twi'lek and make my jedi knight a lady. Because I promised myself, only one dude on the Republic side.

Also I want to make out with the male inquisitor voice actor. Straight up.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:59 AM

First Flashpoint doesn't need a healer because a ton of the damage is avoidable by not standing near whirling blades of doom.  Tards will have to learn.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: December 16, 2011, 08:24:37 AM

It's some of the meaner heroics where I go all RAGE about breaking CC. Because we lack the tools to just power heal through it when every DPS is offtanking something elite and nothing's dying quickly. :( The first flashpoint is mostly a joke, only the bosses hit for anything, and every add pack has an explosive barrel next to it that will wipe them out if you think to click it.

I like consular healing. I also kind of like smuggler healing more now. I'm going to be broken again and have like, all the healers.

I really like lady consular voice. And made a bunch of pug friends with her because apparently RPing her makes people think you're a snarky healer instead of just a very relaxed lady at peace with the universe.

Wait, why am I actually like, half RPing a character in an MMO. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO ME.

edit: I'm talking more Fall of the Locust and whatnot. 3-4 gold stars per pack, and 1-2 silver healers. Painful groups if you just wade in and derp it up.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: December 16, 2011, 08:46:34 AM

I like consular healing. I also kind of like smuggler healing more now. I'm going to be broken again and have like, all the healers.

Are there any basic guides to Smuggler healing at all? I reckon I'll be going that way in a levels time and I can safely say, having never healed ever, I have no idea what I'll be doing.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: December 16, 2011, 08:52:51 AM

Are there any basic guides to Smuggler healing at all? I reckon I'll be going that way in a levels time and I can safely say, having never healed ever, I have no idea what I'll be doing.

I think I will start a smuggler/IA thread in a bit. It is a bit strange and based around pacing your heals and managing upper hand.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:36 AM

Is the energy regen mechanic the same as on the DPS side? As in, the more you spend, the slower the regen rate and you should really hang around 75-80 to keep the full regen going? That seems like a hella fun healer to play.

Someone here said upper hand is a silly mechanic, how does it work exactly? What are exploits?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: December 16, 2011, 09:03:19 AM

Upper Hand sounds like the rogue/feral openers/finisher combo system, where abilities build up points and other abilities use up the points for huge damage.  Or in this case, huge healing.

Edit:  read the comments here (torhead.com) for the explanation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:07:28 AM by ajax34i »
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: December 16, 2011, 09:13:20 AM

Upper Hand sounds like the rogue/feral openers/finisher combo system, where abilities build up points and other abilities use up the points for huge damage.  Or in this case, huge healing.

Edit:  read the comments here (torhead.com) for the explanation.

Sort of, ish. Upper hand is a short lved buff for special attacks. You don't build it up (you can only have two at any point), but you do gain and spend it. It's.. poorly explained in game unless you go poking around your passive abilities imo.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: December 16, 2011, 09:23:10 AM

I guess what matters is how often you need those special attacks (or special heals) as part of your rotation.  If you have to use Upper Hand every 15 seconds, then it's probably a lot less "sort of ish".  I have no clue, as I'm not playing the game yet, this is all armchair opinionating from things I've read.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: December 16, 2011, 09:29:07 AM

You use it to fuel alternate things.

The 1.5s heal requires upper hand, the 2.5s smaller heal creates upper hand.
Your AE volley consumes it, pugnacity (energy regen buff) consumes it. A few of your talent tree skills consume it.

It's not really a combo point system, it's more a chain attack system. You use X ability to create the opportunity to use Y or Z.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1144 on: December 16, 2011, 09:44:00 AM

Isn't that the crowd that pre-ordered fastest, hence gave up on cata earliest, hence basically the lich king dungeons crowd? WotLK dungeons, doing damage across multiple games  why so serious?

I also wonder how many first time players are here simply because it's Boware + Star Wars. Nowhere near as many as WOW's launch.. BUT the encounters are more complex than most SP bosses.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: December 16, 2011, 09:44:58 AM

Guy I grouped with last night was new. He was clearly just playing the latest star wars game. We did fine.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1146 on: December 16, 2011, 11:35:58 AM

You use it to fuel alternate things.

The 1.5s heal requires upper hand, the 2.5s smaller heal creates upper hand.
Your AE volley consumes it, pugnacity (energy regen buff) consumes it. A few of your talent tree skills consume it.

It's not really a combo point system, it's more a chain attack system. You use X ability to create the opportunity to use Y or Z.

It's pretty much the Champion fervour system from LOTRO.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1147 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:00 AM

On CC breaking, it isn't my fault that force leap + sweep is so awesome that it must be used constantly.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:51 PM

I think I'm going to reroll my trooper to be a boy, since I cannot handle Commander Shepard + catboy...

My first toon to get a companion is my Jedi Knight and he has no interest in making out with a red trash can on wheels.  Now if Master Orgasm (Orgus? I forget), ever wants to ride my toon's lightsaber, he'll oblige him (in a pity-fuck kind of way). But he'll do this only because he's learned that "love" (i.e. romance) between Jedi is forbidden. Sex, on the other hand...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1149 on: December 16, 2011, 02:54:22 PM

I'm not getting it.

Jedi starting area is still (second time round from a beta) really boring.  Art work is really, really bland.  I want to gush on this, but I'm not feeling it yet.

I asked this a few weeks ago and got told to wait:  do things pick up after lvls 5, 10, 15, what not?  Do they tie complexity and progression like LotRO?  So you get more interesting skills at higher levels?   
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1150 on: December 16, 2011, 02:56:31 PM

I think I'm going to reroll my trooper to be a boy, since I cannot handle Commander Shepard + catboy...

My first toon to get a companion is my Jedi Knight and he has no interest in making out with a red trash can on wheels.  Now if Master Orgasm (Orgus? I forget), ever wants to ride my toon's lightsaber, he'll oblige him (in a pity-fuck kind of way). But he'll do this only because he's learned that "love" (i.e. romance) between Jedi is forbidden. Sex, on the other hand...

Ha, my consular has a giant lizard dude she doesn't get along with at all as her first companion. But she knows her harem is coming. SHE KNOWS.

What I really meant, of course, is that while catboy is nice enough I am sure, I am not particularly interested in his romance, and I just ... Commander Shepard's voice should not be coming out of my giant green woman's mouth. It should be coming out of Commander Shepard's mouth. Plus I already know I fucking hate her flirting voice. So I might as well make some hot trooper man candy.  why so serious?

Fake Edit: I think the jedi starter zone is pretty. <shrug> It's probably the least interesting quest-wise, though, at least as far as the shared/consular stuff goes.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: December 16, 2011, 03:06:12 PM

From the Valley of the Jolly!...

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:52 PM

My issue with the Jedi starting zone is I could drop it into any generic fantasy MMO and call it a day.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: December 16, 2011, 06:28:49 PM

MMO honeymoon in full effect. I look forward to the tone changing when the story train pulls into the last station.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1154 on: December 17, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

On CC breaking, it isn't my fault that force leap + sweep is so awesome that it must be used constantly.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I can't get enough of pulling random shit out of the floor and throwing it at people.

edit: Also, getting with my lizard guy just swimmingly, he's pretty much Sten v 2.0  It's actually starting to worry me, hopefuly he doesn't turn out to be a romance option at some point...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:08:09 AM by tmp »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Pre-release thread discussion  
Jump to: