Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Frank Miller goes full retard (even more than he already had) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frank Miller goes full retard (even more than he already had)  (Read 48409 times)
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 02:21:02 PM

Ahahahaha.   awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 05:27:55 PM

That Batman quote at the end? It's from this:

... and that's the exact scene that Kevin Smith later re-wrote to indicate that Batman had pissed himself at the time.

Miller is the crazy uncle of the comic book world, and age has only fermented the crazy. Millar is a dick who doesn't like comic book fans or the comic book industry.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 08:21:42 PM

I remember being pissed about Smith's alteration at the time, but maybe they just hate each other. That would be fun.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 07:35:12 AM

I remember being pissed about Smith's alteration at the time, but maybe they just hate each other. That would be fun.

Honestly, I could kind of respect Smith if that really was a huge FU to Miller.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 08:22:06 AM

Does this surprise anyone who's actually read any of his comics? Guy's a raging nutcase living in a fantasy world. Nuttier than Dave Sim.

Whoa there. Let's not go crazy. I would still rather be trapped in an elevator with Miller than Sim.

It's REALLY close, though.

In fairness to Sim, as he went mad he also had the good grace to become boring so we knew to stop buying his comics.

I made it as far as "Rick's Story". I'd stiill recommend the Cerberus books as far as "Melmoth" to anyone.
schad
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 07:38:29 AM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 03:21:01 PM

I lost some respect for Moore when he made the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen center around his obvious stand-in fucking a young girl. It makes a lot of his stuff a bit creepy in retrospect.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 03:30:18 PM

Nothing creepy about that guy at all.

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 03:38:05 PM

I lost some respect for Moore when he made the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen center around his obvious stand-in fucking a young girl. It makes a lot of his stuff a bit creepy in retrospect.

You should read Promethea for that. 'Jack Faust', a balding overweight old man who is also a sorceror teaches a college girl who is also an incarnated goddess magic if she will have sex with him while in her goddess form.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 03:47:59 PM

And we've previously discussed "Lost Girls".

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 05:51:28 PM

I think it's fantastic that a comic I read (and still have) thirty years later is having a political effect today.  Alan Moore and Grant Morrison are my favorite comic writers, but I've quit bothering with Moore.  Old man yells at cloud.

Too bad the Occupy movement uses a Guy Fawkes mask, I'd like our own, American symbol, maybe Alfred E. Neuman.

As far as Frank Miller, never been a huge fan and his Spirit movie is one of the rare films I have actually shut off halfway through.  Also, he sound like a poor human being.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 12, 2013, 03:00:02 PM

I think it's fantastic that a comic I read (and still have) thirty years later is having a political effect today.  Alan Moore and Grant Morrison are my favorite comic writers, but I've quit bothering with Moore.  Old man yells at cloud.

Too bad the Occupy movement uses a Guy Fawkes mask, I'd like our own, American symbol, maybe Alfred E. Neuman.

As far as Frank Miller, never been a huge fan and his Spirit movie is one of the rare films I have actually shut off halfway through.  Also, he sound like a poor human being.

It also makes no sense to dress as an anarchist when you're demanding people pay their fair share of tax (assuming the mask is meant to represent V rather than Guy Fawkes).

Posting to report I have changed my avatar for the first time since 1998 in recognition of Dave Sim becoming a wanker. It was Cerberus for 15 years.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 12, 2013, 03:49:57 PM

Posting to report I have changed my avatar for the first time since 1998 in recognition of Dave Sim becoming a wanker. It was Cerberus for 15 years.

Becoming?  I haven't heard anything new about him for a while.  How did he manage to top "Tangent?"
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 12, 2013, 03:53:08 PM

I'm a few years behind the times. It's just that when I started using the avatar, he was relatively sane as far as I can tell.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #49 on: May 12, 2013, 04:06:51 PM

I'm a few years behind the times. It's just that when I started using the avatar, he was relatively sane as far as I can tell.

Haha! No, Dave Sim has always been as mad as a bag of spiders.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:37 PM

Haha! No, Dave Sim has always been as mad as a bag of spiders.

This. I have always dug his "indie first" attitude and his stance on the comics distributors fucking him out of dollars but really, he's been a goddamn dumpster fire of insanity from the word go.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 12:35:40 PM

He should get together with the guy who "writes" Day by Day.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #52 on: May 14, 2013, 06:02:41 PM

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 07, 2013, 03:08:41 AM

wow... what the hell was that? Go have a look at his commentaries to the christmas special edition of warrior for some extra over the top craziness.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: June 07, 2013, 08:41:29 AM

His review of the All-Star Batman and Robin dreck by Miller is spot on as well.

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 09, 2013, 09:50:26 AM

His review of the All-Star Batman and Robin dreck by Miller is spot on as well.

Uhh, I might just have a look on those next time I im in for cringe worthy entertainment.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:00 AM

Oh All-Star Batman was just fucking awful. All the worst parts of Jim Lee's artwork (overly buxom babes for no purpose, overly fiddly costumes) with the worst parts of Frank Miller satirizing Batman in a comic that is played as "SRZBZNZ" as well as just a real cynical disdain for the character and the whole concept of superheroes by the writer. It was Dark Knight Returns taken to even more ridiculous extremes.

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 11:29:17 AM

Oh good god that was arkward reading.  That is definitely the worst batman story ever. Quite entertaining reading through Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Frank Miller goes full retard (even more than he already had)  
Jump to: