Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.5: Let's give this one more hurrah... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.5: Let's give this one more hurrah...  (Read 117064 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:40 PM

I contend that they used cautionary language in calling it "solo or duo" because some people are so fuckstupid when it comes to playing MMO's that solo isn't an option for them. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: November 03, 2011, 01:30:55 PM

I just think selling solo content that is duo or counts on group content for gearing is utter fucking bullshit. More about something for raiders/pvp folks to do while waiting in queue or bored than for true solo gameplay.

It's an admission that the chronicles aren't balanced for every soul to be able to finish in blues. If I try to solo Chronicles with my Purifier, I'll probably fail. What sounds better:

"Chronicles are designed for some callings to be able to solo, or for two players to duo"

"Chronicles are designed for two players to duo, or for a well-geared solo player"

Immediate thought that pops into my head after reading the first: "Why didn't you balance this for X soul?" Any failures experienced in the chronicles would also be rationalized as "well, this obviously isn't balanced for my soul" even if it was, rather than "well, this is designed for two people". It's a language thing, and Trion chose the language that would land them in less hot water with players. It gives people an easy way out to explain why they failed (even if it's 100% their fault), and Trion doesn't have to endure people saying "Trion admits their soul balance is poor" for the next 3 years.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #177 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:02 PM

They admitted they weren't shooting for balanced before the game launched.

Anyone who looks for balance in something as complex as Rift's soul system is an utter moron. I'll take some complexity and customization over balance any day, but then, I don't pvp in mmo. Hell, they put rpg imbalance into the formerly level playing field of fps, so what the fuck is balanced any more?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: November 04, 2011, 01:18:48 PM

There's a new 5 man on the PTS that is apparently gigantic.  At the hardest difficulty level, it has 11 bosses in it.  It's also non-linear with a lot of traps and obstacles to get around.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 04, 2011, 02:10:50 PM

Some more details about 1.6. Lot's of interesting stuff coming with this patch.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 16, 2011, 09:19:12 PM

Ember island seems pretty awesome so far. Very pretty and a tad overwhelming (a good thing for an MMO, imo).
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 17, 2011, 08:08:03 AM

This game gets better and better but they are still going to take a huge hit next month.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: November 17, 2011, 12:23:25 PM

Zone event last night had a end boss with 58 MILLION hps.  For fuck sake...
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: November 17, 2011, 12:46:30 PM

I liked the 150k HP minor rift stage 4 mob.

I will say the daily to defend the base from invasions daily was niffty but kind of long.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: November 17, 2011, 01:01:15 PM

The source well stuff is pretty cool.  I just wish I can find a reliable way to farm inscribed sourcestone.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: November 17, 2011, 02:14:59 PM

The zone events are pretty reliable, i easily farmed the 600 i needed in a couple weeks.  Made a shit ton of exp too.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: November 18, 2011, 10:21:56 AM

Yeah I know, I do that as well.  But it's a lot of waiting around doing nothing in between.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:04 AM

Oh, well i did it as a break from pvping to rank 8 not as my main source of playtime.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: November 18, 2011, 12:37:37 PM

Rift PVP is crap, so I don't involve myself in that.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: November 20, 2011, 05:01:23 AM

Rift PVP is crap, so I don't involve myself in that.

A lot of people have hit maxed rank and have all their gear which leaves little reason to PvP other then to PvP.  Not sure when they even plan to do more PvP wise but the warfronts are stale.  The game is out for 9 months and still no mention of any real world pvp coming anytime soon.  I was debating keeping my sub past TOR launch but I likely wont, just not seeing any reason to keep it as a PvPer. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: November 20, 2011, 07:07:50 AM

There are tons of world pvp to be had.  The order of the eye dailies pack both factions into small areas and the zone events are always big free for alls.

I am the .00000001428%
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: November 22, 2011, 11:54:11 AM

There are tons of world pvp to be had.  The order of the eye dailies pack both factions into small areas and the zone events are always big free for alls.

There are no real objectives like DAOC or WAR, you just find some PvP rift and gank other players who are trying to run shards, etc or do it in the daily spot.  If you want straight up pure PvP sure you can find it, but it doesnt really serve a purpose other then to just do it, you dont get favor or rewards of any kind.  Also until recently it cost a lot to mend yourself afterward :P
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: November 22, 2011, 01:12:37 PM

I thought that was the point of world PvP. PvP for PvP's sake, not for some objective or reward.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 23, 2011, 04:11:34 AM

I thought that was the point of world PvP. PvP for PvP's sake, not for some objective or reward.

If I wanted to just PvP I would play BF3 or MW3, not an MMO.  I PvP in MMO's to get rewards to improve my avatar the same way people PvE for rewards.  you could use the same logic there, shouldnt people PvE for the fun and satisfaction of killing a boss?  Why do they need rewards?  Point is if MMO's didnt have rewards for PvP and PvE they wouldnt be very successful :P
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:09 AM

Point is if MMO's didnt have rewards for PvP and PvE they wouldnt be very successful :P

No, they would have to focus more on fun and gameplay than grind to be successful... which might be a wonderful thing. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: November 27, 2011, 10:20:07 AM

Point is if MMO's didnt have rewards for PvP and PvE they wouldnt be very successful :P

No, they would have to focus more on fun and gameplay than grind to be successful... which might be a wonderful thing. 

You miss the point of MMO's then.  The idea of an MMO(especially sub based) is to keep people playing, get them to sub each month.  Without gear or rewards or carrots you would never have a successful model, I dont care how "fun" your content is.  People wouldnt bother to assemble 25 people together and go through the stress and annoyances of raiding just to do content with no rewards.   
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: November 27, 2011, 10:53:57 AM

You miss the point of MMO's then.  The idea of an MMO(especially sub based) is to keep people playing, get them to sub each month.  Without gear or rewards or carrots you would never have a successful model, I dont care how "fun" your content is.  People wouldnt bother to assemble 25 people together and go through the stress and annoyances of raiding just to do content with no rewards.   

It precisely matters how fun the content is.  Because if it is fun enough, it doesn't need to be propped up by external rewards (numbers on the character sheet, prestige, whatever).

Still, those kinds of things are easier and cheaper to crank out than content that is all things to all men but that doesn't mean fun can't keep one subbed for a long time.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: November 27, 2011, 02:57:12 PM

It precisely matters how fun the content is.  Because if it is fun enough, it doesn't need to be propped up by external rewards (numbers on the character sheet, prestige, whatever).

Still, those kinds of things are easier and cheaper to crank out than content that is all things to all men but that doesn't mean fun can't keep one subbed for a long time.

It better be about as fun as a blowjob then
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: November 27, 2011, 04:10:59 PM

Not to interrupt the argument which will never end, but what are people's guild situations like nowadays? I kind of feel like picking this up again but want to land somewhere active and competent without being hardcore (I no longer have time to be hardcore).
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 08, 2011, 07:37:05 AM

So, the Instant Adventures got sort of hot fixed in. Kind of odd timing, but they are mildly entertaining. They feel somewhat like directed grinding. They are fun in that they feature some of the more interesting locations in Stillmoor and Shimmersand. Personally, they changed the direction I move through areas and this gives a fresh feel to places I have spent a lot of time in already. These are mostly very easy, but even these spectacularly easy things are too tough for about half the people I see in them. Most of the end bosses telegraph their abilities with big on screen warnings or ground effect graphics. A solid quarter of the people in these will die to these effects. Repeatedly. I have not wiped on one of these yet, but it has come close a couple of times.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 08, 2011, 02:37:58 PM

IA's are fun, but the rewards are shit so therefore the whole system is failboat until they increase the experience gain or the drop rate of Inscribes sourcestone and Crystalized insights.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 08, 2011, 03:18:04 PM

The rewards are really are terrible when compared to an Onslaught on Ember Isle. For the apparent target level, these should be an inscribed farm with an eye toward getting people into raid ready gear. There's a nearly full set of gear available for inscribed now, but it is gated by crazy costs and faction. 600+ stones and glorified for a single piece. You need to be glorified with the new faction to even buy some of the pieces. I can outfit an entire sigil with new essences for less than a single piece.

But the implementation is fairly interesting. I've now been through the same adventure twice but with a different middle and end stage. The first time I was in a 15+ group and we detoured to elite mobs and a crazy dragon. The second time, we got another kill x regular mobs and an easier witch boss with a group of 5.

Speaking of Ember Isle, several vehicle type quests/events have shown up.  The best is the water event stage where you turn into a burrowing rock elemental. Granted, I did not figure out that stage until about the 5th time through. And I still have not figured out the what or where of the warmth stone is for the next stage.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: December 09, 2011, 06:52:04 AM

I've resubbed and am farting around with it on my unguilded 50 rogue. Two things are striking that are germane to this turn of conversation about rewards.

1) There's so much fucking gear out there, from so many different places, that I have absolutely no idea what to get where.
2) I'm having an absolute blast doing the events and instant action.

Point 2 is directly related to point 1.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: December 09, 2011, 09:23:47 AM

Not sure I like the new R8 rogue models, better then the old ones though

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 14, 2011, 11:53:52 AM

So, this most recent hotfix seems to have added an attempt at matching. Occasionally when I enter a WF I will see a message about Matched: Rank 2-6 or 4-7. These are kind of interesting. It almost, at times, if you squint just right, feels like the leveling WF experience. They only seem to pop about half the time, but when they do, they are slightly more entertaining.

Though I will have to admit some of the fun may be from going over to the darkside and playing a nightblade/riftstalker rogue with 1 HK tank weapon.

Oh, and Instant Adventures. Still mild fun until you get to one of those boss stages. At least one real healer is often a necessity, some of these bosses have shit you just can't get out of fast enough.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: January 07, 2012, 06:16:21 AM

The Rift Mobile App is kind of interesting, though only available for the iPhone at the moment. It's one part offline guild chat tool and one part facebook game. The facebook game is the most interesting because you can get phat lewtz from it. There are three "scratch off" type games you can play. One for planarite, one for crafting mats and another for artifacts. The facebook part comes from the charges to play bit. You get one charge an hour. Each game takes a charge and you can "bank" up to six charges. I've not "played" the planarite one as EI means I have no use for any planarite. The single time I tried the crafting one, I got 4 carmintium. The artifact one has netted me 6 artifacts, 3 of them blue, and only two I have already had for 12 charges. So, not bad.

The guild chat is live and oddly archived so guild chat stalking ahoy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.5: Let's give this one more hurrah...  
Jump to: