Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: No New Instances in RoI 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No New Instances in RoI  (Read 53935 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 08:27:02 AM

I guess all that f2p money hasn't kicked in yet.  Ohhhhh, I see.
WoW and Eve pretty well demonstrate that making a ton cash doesn't equal more content for said cash cow.

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 05:57:11 AM

The other way to make more money is to cut back on work.  Sigh.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 06:04:14 AM

Its somewhat odd to me, that under this new models they are doing an "Expansion" instead of just adding the zones to the store. I suspect its more marketing than traditional expansion release.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 06:21:00 AM

Its somewhat odd to me, that under this new models they are doing an "Expansion" instead of just adding the zones to the store. I suspect its more marketing than traditional expansion release.

Isn't it obvious? VIP's and Lifers don't pay for 'maps' but must pay for 'expansions'. You might note that no TP pricing for this has been announced and I believe only real cash purchase will be available for a time after release. That or the TP of the pieces will have a much higher total.

Added: One thing that been rather irksome to me since returning to the game in early June, is the constant scroll in guild chat about 'which questpac should I get?', 'How many TP for that?', 'Whats the best way to make TP?'. I feel like I am playing in Fantasy Shopping World, not middle earth. Very immersion breaking, more so then Min/Max talk.. at least for me. YMMV
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:38:18 AM by Nyght »

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 06:41:43 AM

Quite sure it was said all this would be in the store after launch. Thats a given.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 06:52:43 AM

The other way to make more money is to cut back on work.  Sigh.

Yeah. I mean, I'm locked in. I pre-ordered like a buster. But, depending on how competent they are, this may be it for me once I hit 75. I'm a massive fan of this game as a casual way of MMOing in a well-realized IP world but this has REALLY rubbed me the wrong way, wiping out a lot of good will.

It's not even that I'm lighting the world on fire with my slow leveling and even slower dungeon grinding these days. It's really a principle thing combined with my having zero confidence that the promised dungeon cluster gets out on time.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 06:59:14 AM

It must be hell on earth to be CR in a game like this. Sapience says 'and maybe even before Christmas', and before that thread can even sink a slot or so down, the Fanbois are saying 2 - 3 Months! new Cluster! .

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 07:22:28 AM

Oh, I'm totally allowing for that possibility! I hope it happens. But if I get to 75 and it launched with zero (ZERO) endgame content outside of a 24 man raid which was due this past Spring? Sorry.

They better hope I'm a slow leveler.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 07:32:40 AM

They better hope I'm a slow leveler.

They better hope a hella a lot of people are.

Gotta add: This is part that make so little sense to me. They seems to be playing right into GW and TOR hands. Even for casual play, its going to be drying up by the end of the year. IF they do get an instance cluster out, will that hold people? Are they just resigned to seeing a massive player exit and hoping to recover with something in the spring?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:52:27 AM by Nyght »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:03 AM

It makes zero sense on any level. If it's not done or content light, wait. No, putting an expansion out and saying "the whole thing will be in three months from release" is NOT better than just delaying. People are going to get to 75 and have zip to do, then they're going to leave for SWTOR.

I'm completely confused by this move. Just completely. It makes no sense.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 10:00:54 AM

The thing that got me to pre-order was the XP rock (pocket item... what) because I assumed the outfits would be in the store eventually.  I guess the rest of the stuff will also be in the store later.  But, as a subscriber this isn't making me feel superior to the plebians in any way.  I will admit that a lifer is basically a drag on the balance sheet, but someone who has prepaid for twelve months should, I don't know, feel like they are getting something for the money.  Everyone pays for RoI (which my steel-trap-like mind has realized is a very interesting abbreviation) but no one gets anything awesome until it is dropped into the store?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 12:23:34 PM

or don't pre-order, don't purchase until 10-12 weeks from launch, and either get it on the store with TP, or normally with cash now at a discount, and then see a better leveling curve.

Not hating, but I don't see any need with LotRO to do any expansion at launch.  Only if you care about 10-24 mans etc.  They've pretty much screamed their business model == LI/levelling progression.  

edit: I intended for this to be more positive than it sounds. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:44:00 PM by Soln »
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:28 PM

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 01:46:50 PM

This just in:

Quote from: Turbine
We are currently preparing five new instances for release post Isengard.

Rise of Isengard will be released on September 27 along with a 24 Player raid. There will be 3 Three player, 1 Six player and 1 Twelve player instance released in Update 5, the first update after the release of Rise of Isengard. These instances will be free to any player who has pre-purchased the Rise of Isengard expansion or who purchases after launch via the Turbine Web Store.

I guess it was getting hot in the kitchen.

Oh one little caveat

"No. The Turbine web store is the same store we use for the Isengard preorder. "

Cash talks, TP walks I guess.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:55:00 PM by Nyght »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 02:02:04 PM

That's okay but, frankly, still a little light for a 10 level increase expansion. Seven 6-mans for Moria release, it's nearest comparison in terms of scale and price. SoM had, according to Wikipedia, "Two three man's, two six man's instances, and a 12 person raid..." So you're getting one more 3 man and one fewer 6 man than SoM.

Still no word on new skirmishes, either.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:53 AM

Here's the link confirming the new instances http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/24/turbine-confirms-five-new-lotro-instances-by-the-end-of-the-year/

Very good news.  Yeah, it reads to me that Turbine saw the negative publicity about no new instances and quickly caved.  Good thing too as some of their instances are very good.  FFS, I paid $50 for the legendary pre-order and just get three zones?  Glad they changed that. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 09:28:47 AM

Unless I can duo any of them, I don't give a fuck.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 25, 2011, 10:31:46 AM

The pre-order was $50? Man you guys got jobbed, no wonder there's so much sturm und drang in here.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 10:34:22 AM

50$ was one option for preorder. Base was $29.99.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 10:53:25 AM

they say when the post expansion upgrade is scheduled?
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 25, 2011, 10:59:44 AM

I will try to zero that in, but I believe is was "before the end of the year".

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #56 on: August 26, 2011, 06:30:07 AM

The pre-order was $50? Man you guys got jobbed, no wonder there's so much sturm und drang in here.

I got the $29.99 option.  The things you get for the extra money are generally cosmetic, if I recall.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:59 AM

25% xp pocket item, horsees, armor, cloak, questpaks for the top tier, and some turbine points sprinkled in

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 26, 2011, 08:41:32 AM

NDA is lifted. Full disclosure: I never spent time leveling for a couple reasons, I am on a monthly bandwidth allotment and didn't want to spoil what looks to be only a single play through for a while. I have spent a fair amount of time reading the beta forums however. CR team is at PAX, so expect some games media press over the next few days. Other then that, ask away I guess.

First CSTM article here: http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2011/08/rise-of-isengard-nda-lifted-new-screenshots/

Perhaps you can even see the beta forums for yourselves now.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 26, 2011, 08:45:32 AM

No official announcement has been made. Now there has.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:53:29 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 26, 2011, 11:27:25 AM

Haha, whoa what?

Was there ever an actual closed beta up 100% of the time? I only ever got weekly stress test invites. I never saw any indication that there was a beta up all the time. Though I guess there would have to be.

Anyway, I don't hate the zones. I think there's going to be some reasonably solid questing, as is usual in LOTRO. But the zones aren't as big as I'd like. Not teeny or anything, like Mirkwood subzones or areas or whatever you want to call them. But this is definitely smaller than Moria... and, yes, I expect a full price expansion pack to be as big as Moria.

I deliberately avoided the Book quests for the most part so can't comment there. I saw no new Skirmishes; they may be linked to the Books or, more probably, they don't exist at all.

The art style is still gorgeous. There's this one stretch of forest which is the dark, claustrophobic forest I wanted Mirkwood to be. And Orthanc is impressive.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 26, 2011, 11:37:26 AM

Haha, whoa what?

Was there ever an actual closed beta up 100% of the time? I only ever got weekly stress test invites. I never saw any indication that there was a beta up all the time. Though I guess there would have to be.

The server was open with all the leveling tools and supplies from Wednesday evenings through Sundays generally. Events held every Wednesday night and the server down on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Interested parties might want to spend a few minutes on the forums now. Lots of info, screenies, maps etc pretty well confined to one or two threads.. and the temperature has fallen by quite a bit. A least for today.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #62 on: August 26, 2011, 01:25:52 PM

yes, I expect a full price expansion pack to be as big as Moria.

Man, I dunno. Moria is the single biggest, craziest expansion area I've ever seen in *any* game, at least since zones started having real content and not just mob camps in them. Moria is a completely insane achievement, the sort of thing that I don't think anyone will ever do again for an MMO. Using it as the standard to measure things by means nothing is ever going to measure up in any game again IMO.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 26, 2011, 01:35:21 PM

Yeah, let me rephrase that, because I realized that was dumb after I typed it. I expect that to be something to at least strive for. I expect more than a bigger than normal quest pack.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 26, 2011, 03:13:36 PM

Yeah, my $50 got me Trollshaws all the way up to Isengard, so I can go f2p and have 75% of the game.  Also bought Angmar and need to grab Bree-lands and Lone Lands. 

I'm in the beta also.  Dunland is much cooler looking than Mirkwood and the minstrel changes are very welcome.  Unfortunately, looks like there is no new skills from 66-75 other than "Improved".  I'm torn on this because Minnie's have too many goofy-ass skills anyway.

So I'll solo Dunland and have groups when the instances arrive.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 04:01:31 PM

Unfortunately, looks like there is no new skills from 66-75 other than "Improved".

Argh!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #66 on: August 26, 2011, 04:03:23 PM

That bit definitely doesn't bother me, I would actually like some skill consolidation frankly.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 26, 2011, 04:28:53 PM

I do, too. That was always in the cards. They're not mutually exclusive, though.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 26, 2011, 07:05:46 PM

That bit definitely doesn't bother me, I would actually like some skill consolidation frankly.

I can't speak for other classes, but Minnie's have lost all ballads and have gotten three new ones, one for each 'stance'.  Very glad to see that.  Honestly, I can't think of any Minnie change that I don't like.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 26, 2011, 07:13:02 PM

People were universally praising all of the class changes that I saw. Champions were very pleased, too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: No New Instances in RoI  
Jump to: