Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS)  (Read 116628 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #385 on: January 02, 2016, 03:07:44 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: January 02, 2016, 03:47:20 AM

Memoirs of a hack writer....
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 02, 2016, 09:37:23 AM

If i was him there would be no way in hell i would spend the last few years of my life miserably doing a chore i hate to keep a buncha nerds happy that are going to be disappointed anyways.  Let HBO finish the story, then just tell people "yup, that's how it ends".

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #388 on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:26 AM

That is not how you get your ego stroked and the man is vanglorious in ways I haven't seen from authors in a long ass time.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #389 on: January 02, 2016, 12:27:23 PM

Or in other words, he is a writer.  why so serious?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: January 02, 2016, 01:11:43 PM

Haem, he would have made a fuckload more from book sales than from TV money. Getting the TV show means money because it is publicity for the books, much more than it means money for the rights.

He has sold a lot of books. He'd sold a lot before the series even came out on TV, but now?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:13:24 PM by lamaros »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: January 02, 2016, 02:02:34 PM

Really? I don't think I know anyone who watched the show than ran out and decided to start reading the books.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: January 02, 2016, 02:06:45 PM

The game of thrones books are the number one series I see people on the bus reading on a daily basis over the last year, along with the martian.  So yes, he's selling a TON more books now to people who probably would not have otherwise read it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #393 on: January 02, 2016, 02:58:30 PM

Haem, he would have made a fuckload more from book sales than from TV money. Getting the TV show means money because it is publicity for the books, much more than it means money for the rights.

He has sold a lot of books. He'd sold a lot before the series even came out on TV, but now?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm pretty sure the real money is from the merchandising that sprung up after the TV show hit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #394 on: January 02, 2016, 05:48:59 PM

Oh yes, the book sales most certainly feed off of the TV show. But on a pound for pound basis, he's going to make more money from screenplays, royalties from DVD (since he's producing, I assume he's got his beak wet on the back end) and such than he will from selling the books. Book royalties are really really shit compared to other mediums, especially when you have to split them with publishers.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: January 02, 2016, 07:00:59 PM

Really? I don't think I know anyone who watched the show than ran out and decided to start reading the books.

I did this.

Apart from the running part.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: January 02, 2016, 11:37:21 PM

Oh yes, the book sales most certainly feed off of the TV show. But on a pound for pound basis, he's going to make more money from screenplays, royalties from DVD (since he's producing, I assume he's got his beak wet on the back end) and such than he will from selling the books. Book royalties are really really shit compared to other mediums, especially when you have to split them with publishers.

Depends entirely on his contract. I'd wager he has still made more from the books.

He was selling millions of them before the TV series even came out, and Forbes estimate that he sold 8 million books and took in $15 million in 2011 alone from book sales.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2012/08/09/women-on-the-rise-among-the-worlds-top-earnings-authors/

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:42:58 PM by lamaros »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #397 on: January 03, 2016, 04:30:09 AM

So he made 1.5 million per book. That's a hell of a contract.

Article won't load on mobile so I can't see the details of how they figure that. The above is my, wtf numbers, reaction.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: January 03, 2016, 05:22:07 AM

No, he made about $2 per book sold.

Which isn't unusual at all.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: January 03, 2016, 05:55:00 AM

Just to nitpick what someone said. In Television, "Producer" is synonymous with writer (usually for an entire series and not just individual episodes) unlike in movies where the producer is the moneyman who gets earlier cuts of the profits.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: January 03, 2016, 06:35:00 AM

If i was him there would be no way in hell i would spend the last few years of my life miserably doing a chore i hate to keep a buncha nerds happy that are going to be disappointed anyways.  Let HBO finish the story, then just tell people "yup, that's how it ends".

I suspect there's a contract and fairly hefty advance with a publisher to consider.  As long as he at least pretends to work on the final bbok(s) he can probably avoid any legal hassles with them.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #401 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:37 AM

Gah fuck early morning math.  How the hell did I come up with that one.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #402 on: January 03, 2016, 11:43:21 AM

You're an architect.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: January 03, 2016, 01:06:37 PM

In the meantime, if the tv ending sucks GRRM can jump out and say " Oh but the tv execs refused to show my true vision" but if the book ending sucks " Well I was rushed to  finish the series now that the tv show ended".

Basically lose lose. The tv show writing is definitely not good enough to end the series at the same series highs of season 1 but the books writing is getting to the point that its highly unlikely this will end in anything worth reading or waiting for. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #404 on: January 03, 2016, 01:29:49 PM

$2 a book hardcover and I'd wager a $1-$1.50 a book for paperbacks, and that's probably a pretty favorable contract based on his previous copious amounts of work.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #405 on: January 03, 2016, 02:45:05 PM

You're an architect.   why so serious?

Which means I'm lucky I didn't think of it in 12s instead of base 10.  why so serious? It was the morning time on the shitter. I blame being half-awake with no coffee and 5 1/2 hours sleep.

WayAbvPar

Reply #406 on: January 05, 2016, 10:36:23 AM

Yet another reason to adjust your body clock and do your pooping at work!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: January 05, 2016, 11:35:26 AM

Which means I'm lucky I didn't think of it in 12s instead of base 10.  why so serious?
Interesting, and here I thought only us CS majors did silly shit like that!  Though next question, not actually knowing much of the field, why?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:10:43 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #408 on: January 05, 2016, 12:18:44 PM

Because 5 feet and 8 feet are 60 and 96 inches not 50 and 90.  You draw in inches as an Architect, not feet like a civil engineer.

And never Metric, because Fuck a 90cm door instead of a 3' door.  awesome, for real

Which is interesting because while it's only ~1/2" off of a 'standard' door, all other dimensions are similarly off.  So I've found you get a vague sense of unease as you pick it up. (The human eye can detect as little as 1/8" of an inch difference without realizing it.) You also seem to run into corners for a few hours when traversing a fully metric building instead of an english units one because of the difference. Not that I've been in one more than a few times, but those were my observations.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:33:01 PM by Merusk »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: January 05, 2016, 12:28:09 PM

Which is interesting because while it's only ~1/2" and inch off of a 'standard' door, all other dimensions are similarly off.  So I've found you get a vague sense of unease as you pick it up. (The human eye can detect as little as 1/8" of an inch difference without realizing it.) You also seem to run into corners for a few hours when traversing a fully metric building instead of an english units one because of the difference. Not that I've been in one more than a few times, but those were my observations.
Which seems like a great friggin reason *to* do metric.  Set up cameras and watch the guests fall all over the place. 

If you ever build stairs, amuse yourself by making each stair 1/8" too tall....

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #410 on: January 05, 2016, 12:46:29 PM

That would be as advisable as a Doctor removing an arm "for the Lulz" or a Lawyer zelously sending incriminating evidence to the Prosecution. We've got professional licensure and ethics standards to uphold, even if we price ourselves like bargin basement whores making 1/5th the money of a contractor. Architect is a profession run by business people who'd rather be artists with all the logic and acumen you'd expect from that. awesome, for real

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: January 05, 2016, 03:58:23 PM

If architects don't make enough money: 1.) There isn't enough financial incentive for someone to bother suing you, and 2.) YOu're not paying enough in professional fees for your profession to censure you properly.  You're golden.  Commence with the unethical, dangerous and childish pranks. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #412 on: January 08, 2016, 06:29:37 AM

sorry for the off-topic, but this might serve as a gentle reminder  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: April 25, 2018, 10:24:10 AM

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: April 25, 2018, 10:50:11 AM

While I appreciate you updating this thread to inform me of GRRM's update, I also want to do extreme violence to both of you for this update.

-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: April 25, 2018, 10:59:06 AM

Fuck him for not finishing the goddamn series. And fuck me for probably buying this shit anyway.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #416 on: April 25, 2018, 11:21:19 AM

nice, ya'll get a shitarillion

grats
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: April 25, 2018, 12:47:41 PM

I was totally expecting an update to this thread to be his obituary.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: April 25, 2018, 06:44:47 PM

Fuck GRRM; the HBO series will be my ending since he'll die long before he finishes any books.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: April 25, 2018, 07:14:05 PM

He should really just hand the series over to Sanderson now, instead of making everybody wait till he's in the grave and his publisher does it.  Since if he's written 1,000 pages of pure bullshit instead of finishing the god damn book he was supposed to finish years ago, he obviously has no intention of working on this shit ever again.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS)  
Jump to: