Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:06:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS)  (Read 117509 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: May 07, 2014, 03:48:38 PM

You have to remember that Martin's early success as a writer was writing for television. Television is almost never written with an end planned from the get go and it rarely continues to have the same lustre as it progresses.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #316 on: May 07, 2014, 04:09:31 PM

Instead, I had purchased the 100 years war or War of the Roses (I forget which) with ice zombies and dragons as a minor backdrop.

You hit the nail on the head.  Here's a quote from the recent Rolling Stone interview:

I did consider at a very early stage – going all the way back to 1991 – whether to include overt fantasy elements, and at one point thought of writing a Wars of the Roses novel. But the problem with straight historical fiction is you know what's going to happen. If you know anything about the Wars of the Roses, you know that the princes in the tower aren't going to escape. I wanted to make it more unexpected, bring in some more twists and turns. The main question was the dragons: Do I include dragons? I knew I wanted to have the Targaryens have their symbol be the dragons; the Lannisters have the lions, the Starks have the wolves. Should these things be literal here? Should the Targaryens actually have dragons? I was discussing this with a friend, writer Phyllis Eisenstein – I dedicated the third book to her – and she said, "George, it's a fantasy – you've got to put in the dragons."

So, yeah, the fantasy elements were in fact an afterthought.   awesome, for real

I loved Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, though, and most of what Tolkien wrote, so of course I love this stuff too and don't particularly care if there's a fight scene in every chapter.  People who signed up for zombies fighting dragons on a roller coaster are gonna have to wait a while.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #317 on: May 07, 2014, 04:42:52 PM

You liked the Baroque Cycle?

Like a knife through my heart. Cryptonomicon was so good and that shit was just unreadable.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #318 on: May 07, 2014, 04:49:10 PM

I actually thought Cryptonomicon was muddled and rushed by comparison and didn't enjoy it as much.  Baroque Cycle was loooooong and could have used an editor and/or fewer story lines, but it did at least have a satisfying ending, which is more than you can say about a lot of Stephenson's work.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #319 on: May 07, 2014, 04:54:19 PM

Well, cyberpunk is basically universally shit. Cryptonomicon was muddled, but great to read. Baroque Cycle felt like reading a shitty bible.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: May 07, 2014, 06:44:07 PM

Oh, wow, a shout out to Phyllis Eisenstein.  I can't hate on him for that.

Heart
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: May 07, 2014, 09:15:06 PM

Reamde was good though.  awesome, for real

- Viin
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: May 08, 2014, 12:25:27 AM

Reamde was good though.  awesome, for real

Wtf are You talking about. After all his books Ramde was fucking boring with just one interesting idea of "future"-MMO. The rest was boring thrash.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:51 AM

I've clearly entered into the Season of Agreeing With Schild.

It's uncomfortable.

Baroque Cycle was far, far, far too big and unwieldy and, really, didn't make much sense really.  (and I don't mean it wasn't understandable).  It was like he took Cryptonomicon and shoved helium into it until it was Stephen King Huge.  Bearing in mind that Crypto contained a fair bit of bloat, and you're looking at one fat pig of a work.

While Wife-Unit is enjoying GoT hugely (mostly due to it suddenly having non-book shit in it so she can be surprised) I've pretty much given up on it.  It may as well be the 'Sophie Turner Show' for me, since that's really the only reason I'm watching.  The character interactions are kinda funny, but if I wanted that shit, I'd watch, you know, a comedy show.  I don't even like the tits anymore, since this season has just taken a really, really sharp turn into Rape-Land.

As for the fat one, it's quite clear he has NO Clue what he's doing.  The show is just going to have to go it alone. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: May 08, 2014, 07:42:56 AM

The problem is re: the Wars of the Roses/100 Years War as a model for this narrative, that the middle of those events is full of chaos as life unravels. That's important to the functioning of any retelling of those events (and it's not incidental that the most avid retellers, like Shakespeare, were propagandists for the regimes that re-established order). But it's a storytelling challenge: how do you make chaos interesting, and how do you make it something other than one long rape-and-murder-fest? It's really the same issue as a post-apocalyptic story, and in many ways Game of Thrones IS a post-apocalypse story in which the main protagonists don't *know* yet that they're in the post-apocalypse.

The only way to tell a post-apocalypse story is either to have a few islands of civilization desperately holding out against the chaos or to follow a few charismatic and basically 'good' survivors trying to hold on to decency. That's kind of where the next season (and the last half of this season) of GoT could go, but Martin's books don't help much with that because of the way he fragments the story thematically and follows characters every which-where.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #325 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:14 AM

The episodes since Joffery died have definitely tailed off.

To be fair, that's what happens to the books too. If it weren't for the stuff they've added this season, it'd be about 7 episodes long instead of 10.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #326 on: May 08, 2014, 12:59:05 PM

A Feast for Crows is just awful. Nothing happens in that entire book.

You could literally sum up the entire action of that book in a page, and skip it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: May 12, 2014, 05:44:57 PM

I always felt she was very much like that in the books. She is generally pretty soft-hearted and she never really comes across as comfortable being stern.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: May 13, 2014, 12:07:12 AM

I always felt she was very much like that in the books. She is generally pretty soft-hearted and she never really comes across as comfortable being stern.

Reading the books I thought the author intended heart and soul of a concrete elephant but wrote it badly so it came off as weak and feeble woman.

All of his non-sociopathic female characters are the same to be honest.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: May 13, 2014, 04:43:10 AM

Well of course his non-sociopathic women are terribly written, the guy obviously understands women as well as your typical "visit GenCon every year" neckbeard  why so serious? .

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: May 13, 2014, 04:44:23 PM

Tyrion was the only worthwhile thing in the books as well.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: May 13, 2014, 09:59:48 PM

Which is why Feast was such garbage.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: May 14, 2014, 12:20:15 AM

I get why people follow along tv shows that frustrate them, but seriously? You finished off 5 fucking enormous novels after concluding only 1 in 10 chapters was worth reading? Do you hate yourself or something?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: May 14, 2014, 08:27:14 AM

I get why people follow along tv shows that frustrate them, but seriously? You finished off 5 fucking enormous novels after concluding only 1 in 10 chapters was worth reading? Do you hate yourself or something?
No.  I read book 1, and was horrified when Martin killed off Ned Stark.  Literally the only likable character in the entire series, and Martin kills him off.

I read book 2, and wished death upon everyone but Tyrion.

I tried to read book 3, but gave up only a few chapters in.

I read threads here and there on GoT, because I wanted so much to like the series, but just didn't.  Everything I've read since then confirms my notion that Tyrion is the only somewhat likable character, and that everyone else should be turned into a snow zombie.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: May 20, 2014, 11:54:01 AM

Maybe I'm not remembering events in the books but the show feels like it is accelerating quickly. That said, next season will have to introduce all the Dorn stuff from the later books which will bring all this momentum to a screeching halt when paired with Dany's tale of doing a lot of nothing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: May 20, 2014, 12:07:04 PM

Maybe I'm not remembering events in the books but the show feels like it is accelerating quickly. That said, next season will have to introduce all the Dorn stuff from the later books which will bring all this momentum to a screeching halt when paired with Dany's tale of doing a lot of nothing.

In terms of pages per episode I'm fairly certain this is the slowest season yet.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #336 on: May 20, 2014, 12:17:27 PM

I wonder how long till GRRM gets placed on the same shelf as Robert Jordan.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:49:54 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #337 on: May 20, 2014, 12:27:16 PM

Shouldn't he have been on the same shelf since book 1. From everyone I've talked to about the series, it's all shit shit shit in hindsight. Sweet at the time, total crap once it wore off.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: May 20, 2014, 12:39:20 PM

Jordan was a lot more readable. I still haven't finished the last book. It's like slogging through mud.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: May 20, 2014, 12:45:48 PM

Jordan was a lot more readable. I still haven't finished the last book. It's like slogging through mud.

I feel the exact opposite. The Jordan books were a chore and got worse as time went on. Every damn woman in his books was the same character and all of them were in love with Rand Al'thor. The Jordan books are the only books in my entire life where I've said "fuck it, I'm skipping these chapters."  The first 3 Games of Thrones book were pretty damn good but these last two suffer from Jordanitis. It's a thing!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #340 on: May 20, 2014, 01:12:21 PM

Comparably, they are the same. Jordan's books turned to shit by book 5.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #341 on: May 20, 2014, 01:17:16 PM

Hey, Dumai's Wells was in 6.  Of course, that's pretty much the shark jumping point, until the books get back on the rails (much) later.

As much as we like to rail against books 4&5 of A Song of Ice and Fire, they just don't compare to the slow books of Jordan.  Jordan turned slow into a braid-pulling art form.

As is, I think book 3 could have easily been one longer season, but they need to stall.  These next two seasons are going to piss people off.  It'll be like the middling slow seasons in Deadwood and Sopranos.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:20:02 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #342 on: May 20, 2014, 01:41:23 PM

I feel the exact opposite. The Jordan books were a chore and got worse as time went on. Every damn woman in his books was the same character

This. SO MUCH THIS.

I find I tear through Martin books while the Jordan stuff drags. Maybe it's being dragged down by all the braid-tugging.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #343 on: May 20, 2014, 01:43:04 PM

I feel like I just lost time while reading some of Jordan's later books.  At least I can point to things I remember from the last two Ice & Fire books.

Can't disagree about there being some strong similarities, though.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: May 20, 2014, 01:49:44 PM

I wonder if Book 6's release will be tied to the start of Season 5 and/or we might see some fairly large divergence from the plot of the books in the TV series.

Frankly I find the whole process kind of fascinating, a book series being written at the same time as TV series of the book is being made...with the TV series popularity does the tail begin to wag the dog? Has it affected GRRM's writing?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #345 on: May 20, 2014, 01:53:02 PM

I wonder if Book 6's release will be tied to the start of Season 5 and/or we might see some fairly large divergence from the plot of the books in the TV series.

Frankly I find the whole process kind of fascinating, a book series being written at the same time as TV series of the book is being made...with the TV series popularity does the tail begin to wag the dog? Has it affected GRRM's writing?

If it has, it can only affect it for the better. TV shows usually demand action and conflict.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #346 on: May 20, 2014, 02:00:07 PM

I don't think they're even close to as meandering and pointless as later Jordan books, personally. That's some hyperbole-cancer action right there.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: May 20, 2014, 02:02:30 PM

I read the second book, with nary a mention of the Whitewalkers and said, 'this fucker is trying to Jordan me", and didn't go a book further.

As far as I'm concerned it's not hyperbole in the least, it's spot-on.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #348 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09:55 PM

Again, the White Walkers are the fantasy window dressing.  Or the dessert, depending on how you want to look at it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #349 on: May 20, 2014, 02:25:35 PM

What happened to that Ice and Fire book thread?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS)  
Jump to: