Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS)  (Read 117387 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: May 20, 2014, 02:26:18 PM

I read the second book, with nary a mention of the Whitewalkers and said, 'this fucker is trying to Jordan me", and didn't go a book further.

As far as I'm concerned it's not hyperbole in the least, it's spot-on.

If he sticks to finishing it in two books* I'll disagree. If a decade from now he's working on book 10 then I'll not only be done with this shit but I'll be in total agreement with you.

*Finishing it in two books does not mean splitting each of them into two long ass books that are "all the same book".

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #351 on: May 20, 2014, 02:29:05 PM

What happened to that Ice and Fire book thread?

All right, all right.  Gimme a sec to scrub up.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #352 on: May 20, 2014, 02:40:07 PM

Operation successful.  Some loss of sensation in the extremities is to be expected.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #353 on: May 20, 2014, 09:22:11 PM

But I don't want to post in this thread, damn you!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:22 AM

I don't give a rat's ass how many books he writes so long as I enjoy reading them.

And fuck all you haters, I enjoyed Feast.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #355 on: May 21, 2014, 06:54:49 AM

Why?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #356 on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:24 AM

It's all just maneuvering so Podrick can take the Iron Throne.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:05:25 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: May 21, 2014, 07:53:09 AM

Why?

Because there was enough character stuff to keep me interested. I liked Sam's journey, I liked watching KL fall apart, I liked the emergence of the sparrows, I liked the psycho Stark chapters, I liked that it starred to fill out the world beyond that directly affecting the 3 Targaryean Sues, I liked the Kingsmoot, I even started to like Brienne. It wasn't as good as Storm, sure, but I enjoyed it.

And on a forum where people unironically post in defence of Pacific Rim, KotOR2, First Contact, the Courtship of Princess Leia, World of Warcraft, Iron Man 3, and Hearthstone, I think Feast gets way more shit than it is owed.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #358 on: May 21, 2014, 08:03:13 AM

Cersei's stuff in King's Landing was the highlight of the book for me, mostly because I got to see a character I hated go to pieces.

My problem with it is that it's 1100 pages. There's constant overuse of internal conflict in this book. I don't mind character development, but it's handled poorly and repetitively in my mind here. We get it, the characters are torn between love/duty/trust/role. Okay FFS, move on to some actual plot flow.

The issue is that Dance and Feast should have been one book, with about 1,000 pages cut.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #359 on: May 21, 2014, 08:36:56 AM

Why?

Because there was enough character stuff to keep me interested. I liked Sam's journey, I liked watching KL fall apart, I liked the emergence of the sparrows, I liked the psycho Stark chapters, I liked that it starred to fill out the world beyond that directly affecting the 3 Targaryean Sues, I liked the Kingsmoot, I even started to like Brienne. It wasn't as good as Storm, sure, but I enjoyed it.

And on a forum where people unironically post in defence of Pacific Rim, KotOR2, First Contact, the Courtship of Princess Leia, World of Warcraft, Iron Man 3, and Hearthstone, I think Feast gets way more shit than it is owed.

This. Weakest of the series, but still better than SO MUCH other stuff, especially in the genre.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: May 21, 2014, 10:15:02 AM

The problem I have with the books is that, outside of the first one, I just can't re-read them. They were good the first time but unlike most other authors/series in the genre which I can reread multiple times (even Jordan in his amish bondage fantasy worst) I just can't re-read them.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #361 on: May 21, 2014, 10:16:52 AM

I think I've read the first 3 about 4 times now.  ACK!  Even read 4 twice.

I would start another re-read in prep for 6, but I just don't have the free time anymore. 

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: May 21, 2014, 11:22:35 AM

You have several years to finish :P Also, this is one of the more rereadable series ever.  Some stuff completely changes meaning knowing what comes next, there is so much foreshadowing and hints of what's to come that only jump out at you on subsequent readings.

I am the .00000001428%
WayAbvPar

Reply #363 on: May 21, 2014, 11:39:06 AM

Re-reading them is actually very interesting. There are TONS of hints about future events woven into dreams and prophecies and shit. Actually kinda cool how much you can see forshadowed.

e- Threash said pretty much the same thing  ACK!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: May 21, 2014, 12:15:40 PM

You have several years to finish :P Also, this is one of the more rereadable series ever.  Some stuff completely changes meaning knowing what comes next, there is so much foreshadowing and hints of what's to come that only jump out at you on subsequent readings.
This. I'll probably do rereads for 6 and 7 (and Sanderson's inevitable 8, 9 and 10) once they have firm dates.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: May 22, 2014, 07:49:01 AM

I have read the first 3 books 5-6 times each and the last two a couple of times. I think it's extremely rereadable.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: May 23, 2014, 06:45:37 PM

I have read through entire series of far worse storytellling just because the world was interesting enough to keep going.

I think some of the hate here and in most places around here (and shit, the whole internet) is because of the tendency of western culture forum posters to try and find new ways to raise the bar on hyperbole. or, all of this:

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: May 23, 2014, 10:50:46 PM

My inability to reread the books multiple times is more about the fact that I, personally, just don't feel re-"hooked" on them like I did the first read. I even liked some of the bits in Feast and actuallly think Dragons was worse overall even with the "better" character arcs.

I read through the whole series through Feast twice, but when I tried to re-read them since then I have stalled out no later than about 3/4 through the second book.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: May 26, 2014, 12:15:56 PM

I wonder if Book 6's release will be tied to the start of Season 5 and/or we might see some fairly large divergence from the plot of the books in the TV series.

Frankly I find the whole process kind of fascinating, a book series being written at the same time as TV series of the book is being made...with the TV series popularity does the tail begin to wag the dog? Has it affected GRRM's writing?

Fine with me. The HBO people are doing a great job editing GRRM's story which at points get quite turgid. GRRM put together a fantastic fantasy world, but isn't exactly the greatest writer, and he doesn't seem to enjoy writing all that much either given the pace at which he does it, and how he himself has described it as basically forcing himself to do it. I mean what would you rather be doing in that situation? Sitting alone in your office all day labouring over wordy paragraphs you don't particularly enjoy writing, or hanging around on the game of thrones set with all the cool actors and staff, or at HBO headquarters? Probably at this point GRRM is open to working with them on wrapping it all up in a way that's more coordinated with the TV show, probably including getting help on the writing.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:35 AM

I don't know, I know plenty of people who quit before A Dance with Dragons because 50 good pages doesn't make 1054 shitty pages worth reading. Which is basically exactly what you just described.

I quit after the first two books.  They were well written and I enjoyed them, but after the Red Wedding I knew there was no future for me with the books.  Well that and everyone says that the last two books go off in the weeds.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: June 15, 2014, 09:00:35 AM

Red wedding was on the third book.

I am the .00000001428%
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: June 15, 2014, 11:50:09 AM

First off, I wandered into the wrong thread!  Second, I knew someone was going to be confused about my Red Wedding statement.  I read the first two books then watched the Red Wedding episode then quit buying the books right there and then. 

I do admit he built an amazing fantasy world, but he's pretty rough on it's inhabitants.  Plus, I don't think he finishes it in book form.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: June 16, 2014, 02:31:04 PM

I'm betting that sometime in 2015 we'll get an announcement that the TV show will end their story differently than the books. 

I can't imagine that GRRM wants the show to 'spoil' his books, and they keep dropping elements from the show that seem like they're key based upon what we've seen in the books.  I think we'll see book 6 released before season 6 starts on TV (that gives him 2 years), and that book 6 will still heavily inform seasons 5 through 7 - but I think book 7 and season 7 end up being dramatically different - as in different people survive and perhaps a different person ends up on the Iron Throne.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: June 16, 2014, 02:56:36 PM

I'm betting that sometime in 2015 we'll get an announcement that the TV show will end their story differently than the books. 

I can't imagine that GRRM wants the show to 'spoil' his books, and they keep dropping elements from the show that seem like they're key based upon what we've seen in the books.  I think we'll see book 6 released before season 6 starts on TV (that gives him 2 years), and that book 6 will still heavily inform seasons 5 through 7 - but I think book 7 and season 7 end up being dramatically different - as in different people survive and perhaps a different person ends up on the Iron Throne.

I think they will come to largely similar endings but may get there differently. Frankly at the glacial pace the author writes at and the fact he seems to be having more fun just flitting around the globe than actually finishing the series I think HBO is our best chance at some closure to this story.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: June 16, 2014, 05:28:53 PM

That.

You can split the details, but the endings really gotta match otherwise what's the point? Just spin off a separate TV show like "Game of Thrones: North of the Wall" or something if you want to have creative freedom or need to adhere to artist contracts or whatever.

Otherwise, imagine Harry Potter having endings that differed between the book and the movie. That just wouldn't fly at all smiley (though I guess book 7 came out even before they needed a script for movie 7?).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: June 16, 2014, 05:29:59 PM

I think they will come to largely similar endings but may get there differently. Frankly at the glacial pace the author writes at and the fact he seems to be having more fun just flitting around the globe than actually finishing the series I think HBO is our best chance at some closure to this story.
If not HBO, than Brandon Sanderson. why so serious?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: June 18, 2014, 10:02:25 AM

Lots of adaptions end differently than the books.  Quite frankly, if it wasn't written by a US author, the US screen adaption USUALLY changes the ending.  GRRM is mostly US, but his writing is not restricted to the US tropes.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: June 23, 2014, 11:36:59 AM

It kind of is, he's just better than most at making you overlook the trope until it hits.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #378 on: June 26, 2014, 08:30:12 PM

Quite frankly, if it wasn't written by a US author, the US screen adaption USUALLY changes the ending.  GRRM is mostly US, but his writing is not restricted to the US tropes.

Speaking of GRRM being a US writer, his style inconsistencies often bother me. One moment he's adapting Olde English rules for how people speak in Westeros. The next, he entirely drops it and a character says "I'll write you", an invention of American English. Outside the US, it's "I'll write to you".

He's entitled to make up the rules of his creation, but the mish-mash of US and original English gets a bit bizarre. It's probably just that I use British and Australian English for a living.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: January 01, 2016, 05:58:41 AM

Well this doesn't bode well...

One of the first comments:

Have you ever lost any chapter from Winds? Screen it lol

Response

Never. And you know why? Because I write my fiction with WordStar 4.0 on a DOS machine. Stable as a rock, with none of the glitches of Windows-based systems.

Which doesn't fill me with confidence. It wouldn't amaze me if there is only a single copy of his TWOW draft stored on a single 17 year old computer.

Also, the dude needs to stop blogging about the Hugo awards and finish his damn story.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #380 on: January 01, 2016, 06:07:14 AM

Guys a dick and will not finish for one reason.  The story will be finished by HBO in 2 years and he'll say some bullshit about there being no point and there's other stories to tell.

He was bored three books in. If it hadn't taken off the way it did we wouldn't even be this far.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:14:19 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: January 01, 2016, 06:09:55 AM

There is nothing new about him using his ancient machine to write this stuff. He has talked about it all the time.

I noticed that he wrote a Prequel book when I was at the Library a couple weeks ago: "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms".

I think we are definitely looking at a Robert Jordan scenario where he kicks the bucket with several books left.

Plus, what Merusk beat me to. The dude doesn't care about anything but the money it makes him and he is probably making several times what the book sales would get him from HBO for the series.

And frankly, the books have been mostly shit since at best the third book.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:12:09 AM by Chimpy »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: January 01, 2016, 06:23:54 AM

It's not a prequel book, it's a collection of the three short stories he has already written.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #383 on: January 01, 2016, 08:21:42 AM

I don't get why everyone wants him to finish, since as mentioned, it was a good open-ended trilogy.

So I don't hate on G man, in fact I adore the guy because he's a huge mini collector and patronizes a bunch of great painters for his collection. He's a holy grail patron, and there are only a handful of them in the world!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #384 on: January 01, 2016, 10:36:45 AM

The dude doesn't care about anything but the money it makes him and he is probably making several times what the book sales would get him from HBO for the series.

Even "NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER" books make shit compared to the kind of money you can get selling screenplays or film rights for movies or TV. I was fucking flabbergasted when I saw the actual numbers. Minimum according to Screenwriters Guild for just selling the rights to someone who actually writes the screenplay is $30k with about $3-$6k up front even if the goddamn screenplay never gets sold. Put that number up against something like Stephanie Meyer's advance on one of the later Twilight books (which has sold a bazillion fucking copies) was about $45k which has to be made up by sales before she gets another goddamn dime. If you actually sell the screenplay for a movie, minimum is $300k. The disparity in dollars between book sales and movies is just goddamn sick.

Hence the reason I'm adapting my first novel into a screenplay and shopping it. Because fuck...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Song of Ice and Fire Book Thread (SPOILERS)  
Jump to: