Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Idiot's guide to Legendary items? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Idiot's guide to Legendary items?  (Read 65104 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: June 25, 2011, 03:25:42 AM

So I've just loaded up LOTRO to have a play about with it, and lo and behold, all my legendary items and all their bullshit has been refunded since I last played. Unfortunately, the whole LI system is something I just find off-putting, since I don't have the time or interest to theorycraft my way through any or all of that bullshit, or run back and forth to the blacksmiths or whoever the fuck it was that breaks down the old ones and so forth.

The whole fucking overcomplicated and convoluted system makes me want to log off in fact, which is a shame, since I've only just logged on and I'd like to just play the game a little. Is there's a really simple and easy idiot's guide to these things anywhere on the net?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:45:38 AM

Yes, faced the same deal not too long back.

There is a decent 1 or 2 page guide on the lorebook.

Shorter version:   Load your points into DPS first. Then load up the settings, runes, gems, and other legacies with whatever looks the best for you from what you have. Go kill stuff.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:41:59 PM

I don't know what's going on with the new system, but I decided the best course of action was to not overthink it and just have fun.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:13 AM

Basically, the new system is much more forgiving, as you can, over time, alter or improve most every stat on your LI not to your liking.  So if the whole thing seems too byzantine and convoluted for you to worry about, you can pretty much ignore the bulk of it without really gimping yourself at all, and allow yourself to learn the details organically over time.  As a start, just follow what Nyght said and you're covered.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:43:31 AM

The part that makes my eyes glaze over is the chain of material conversion.  I'd do well to see a flowchart of how the materials move through the system.  I know I get LIs as drops, and from turn-in items.  I can then break these into runes... I think.  Need picture.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:04 AM

Let's see if I can describe this simply.  You get LIs from drops, and from 'tokens' that also drop in the same fashion.  The only difference is that, well, tokens are better, because you can choose what kind of item you want from it when you turn it in.

Relics, which you can slot in to your LI, are 'crafted' by breaking down LIs at a relic-master.  The higher the level of the LI before you break it down, the more relics, and the higher the quality of relics, you get.  LIs leveled to the same 'tier' will give you the same amount of relics, so the only times you want to break down a LI are levels 2, 11, 21, 31, etc.  The most efficient point to break them down is 11.

Higher level relics can be obtained by combining lower level relics together.  This also takes place at a relic-master.

Breaking down a LI at 30 or above will also net you a legacy scroll.  Basically, you choose which legacy on the item you want to keep, and you can then apply that one to future LIs you obtain.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:36:53 AM

if you have the cash, buy a bunch of relics and mats off the LotRO store to play with if you are unsure about the system.  You can still screw up and lose items easily.

For example, when you slot a relic, they no longer unslot automatically on reforge.   Also, they no longer unslot at an item's cap.  I haven't played in a few months, so someone should confirm the latest.

tinfoilhatman says these designs help Turbine get cash goodness, but who knows?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:25 AM

There's a Turbine Points item to unslot all the stuff from a weapon I think, afaik that's the only way to do it. Relics don't seem hard to come by though so it doesn't seem like much of a tragedy if you lose some random tier 3s you had slotted in a weapon you're not leveling with or whatever.

Note you also get a big fat heritage rune from deconstructing a high leveled item, I have not figured out if that is the same at each tier (11, 21, 31, etc.) or if it is just a flat % of the xp the item has.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:56:24 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:31:10 PM

Like Yegolev, I need to see a visual flowchart of it to understand it. I also have no intention of spending cash money in the lotro turbine store to try and figure out their convoluted system. Hey, I may as well send the money to you instead!

In the meantime, I'm considering buying the Isengard pack this weekend, and will probably continue to ignore my existing, equipped legendary items while punching goblins and such.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 04:53:11 AM

I'm glad to see you've picked at a thread which you can pull until it turns into another round of raging against LOTRO.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:00:39 AM

I thought that kind of behaviour was only acceptable in the SWTOR thread.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 02:54:33 PM

It's covered pretty well here: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Legendary_Items_Guide

Basically, just toy around with the system by leveling and de-constructing LIs you find, and then experiment with the resulting parts you get. You'll catch on pretty quickly, and it's unlikely that building the best min/max LIs will really matter with Isengard and 10 levels just a few months away. It feels like the LI system is a bit bulkier now, with more scrolls, relics, and ways to create them, but once you get the hang of it the system is much better than it was before.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 07:57:59 PM

I'm glad to see you've picked at a thread which you can pull until it turns into another round of raging against LOTRO.

you're an idiot. What it comes down to is that I just want to be able to jump on and play the game without worrying about the sub-game of levelling up and traiting and maxing out my items.

I'll probably buy the Isengard pack with money to get the cosmetic outfits and horses and items etc, but I won't waste TP on items to experiment with. I'd rather use those to expand inventory and buy pretty cloaks, etc when these things are on sale.

It's covered pretty well here: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Legendary_Items_Guide

Basically, just toy around with the system by leveling and de-constructing LIs you find, and then experiment with the resulting parts you get. You'll catch on pretty quickly, and it's unlikely that building the best min/max LIs will really matter with Isengard and 10 levels just a few months away. It feels like the LI system is a bit bulkier now, with more scrolls, relics, and ways to create them, but once you get the hang of it the system is much better than it was before.

Thanks Rokal.

Not quite the flowchart that would be ideal, but it's at least slightly helpful. Unfortunately, being a 7,000 word document, I'm not likely to read much of it or care enough to take much of it in. The whole system seems needlessly complex, unfortunately. I guess it gives people who enjoy theorycrafting something to do.

I have a bunch of item XP tokens I'd been saving. Is it worth dumping these into the items I have now, or should I save them for down the line?

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 08:55:32 PM

In that link, skip to "Identifying Legendary Items" and then read from there until "Relics: Settings, Gems, and Runes". Most of the guide can be skipped, and those sections are all you really need to pay attention to.

Most of the item XP scrolls/tokens only work on items "up to level x". So, burn them now, as it's unlikely you'll be able to use them on LIs from 66-75.

Like I said, you might just want to forgo the guide or any sort of tutorial and just equip some LIs, deconstruct them when they get to a high level, and see what happens. This isn't really something you need to research, experiencing it first-hand is pretty effective. If anything, the system is more forgiving than before, as you can't really invest in an LI that is completely useless. Every item has some worth, even if it's only found when you deconstruct it.

What I did on my champion was just equip one decent LI weapon/accessory, and then level other LIs and deconstruct them to improve or change my equipped LI weapon/accessory. It's only as complex as you need it to be.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:22 PM

Hm, ok. I'll check that out in a bit.

Another question - is it always beneficial/advised to be using a Legendary weapon over a "normal" weapon? My wife's hunter has a hunter's legendary offhand club in her bank, and is instead using a blue crafted item, that seems to massively outstrip the LI. We're both level 56, so I'm aware that there's always something better, later, but at the same time I don't want to be massively gimped.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 09:28:59 PM

Usually the LI will be better, since legacies that are leveled high can give you bonuses like +50% crit damage, or a big damage boost to one of your main abilities, etc. Of course, if the non-LI weapon you are using has like +40 dps on the LI weapon you have, you'll probably be better off with the non-LI.

LIs are almost always better, unless the non-LI is considerably higher level item.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 05:17:49 AM

you're an idiot. What it comes down to is that I just want to be able to jump on and play the game without worrying about the sub-game of levelling up and traiting and maxing out my items.

No, I'm an asshole. I remember however many years it was of you in *every single LOTRO thread* complaining about the game and shitting them all up. I'm just seeing visions of a month from now when everyone's buzzing about the pros and cons of the expansion in measured fashion and you zooming in like a divebomber to shit them all up. You're free to try and prove me wrong but I don't think I will be.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 05:57:36 AM

No, I'm an asshole. I remember however many years it was of you in *every single LOTRO thread* complaining about the game and shitting them all up. I'm just seeing visions of a month from now when everyone's buzzing about the pros and cons of the expansion in measured fashion and you zooming in like a divebomber to shit them all up. You're free to try and prove me wrong but I don't think I will be.

Years? No, my love. The game's only been F2P for about 9 months, and until about a week ago I hadn't posted in this forum for at least a couple of months.
Asshole? No, you oversell yourself. You're simply a mildly annoying fuckwit trying to take enjoyment in shitting up and derailing this thread "that I've picked at", (despite starting it).
I was quite annoyed with a number of the changes, so I criticised aspects of the F2P game. I'd look up the posts and dates to prove your stupidity, ("years", "every single thread", lol, etc) but frankly I can't be bothered. Prove you wrong? Again, you overestimate how much I care about you or your opinion.

Now go find yourself a nice car fire and fulfill your destiny.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Usually the LI will be better, since legacies that are leveled high can give you bonuses like +50% crit damage, or a big damage boost to one of your main abilities, etc. Of course, if the non-LI weapon you are using has like +40 dps on the LI weapon you have, you'll probably be better off with the non-LI.

LIs are almost always better, unless the non-LI is considerably higher level item.

The non-legendary in question Has basically tons of everything stat-wise over the LI including health (or whatever HP are called here), which has next to nothing. I'd link them so you could see, but I'm not sure how (or if there's a Wowhead-alike database for lotro). Being 56 I'm wondering if it might just be a better/simpler idea to keep using these until we hit 60 and replace them with a new one when we get there. Problem is that not really understanding the system, I'm not sure when to upgrade them rather than just reforge, so I would almost end up using the same ones till we hit 65 or whatever the new Isengard max is.

Wouldn't worry me too much, but I'm fairly sure that would entail gimping ourselves pretty badly...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:04:37 AM by Azazel »

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 06:00:54 AM

Maybe you should just level up the legendary in one of the slots provided until it's better than the item you're using?  Those leveling slots do still exist don't they?
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 06:05:36 AM

You can do that without wielding it? Like I said, I haven't played for months, and I'm really just getting to grips with the new system (and was never a master of it before for that matter).

edit - ok, I figured out how to do that. Now it works if I keep it in my inventory even if not equipped, right? How does xp get split up between the various LI items and my character?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:18:02 AM by Azazel »

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 06:25:18 AM

Item XP is separate from character xp. Read the dark blue note after a kill or quest sometime. The Item XP is split among the number of LI you have slotted the same way base xp is split among a group. That is to say, there is a multiplier for more then 1.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 06:42:45 AM

Years? No, my love. The game's only been F2P for about 9 months, and until about a week ago I hadn't posted in this forum for at least a couple of months.
Asshole? No, you oversell yourself. You're simply a mildly annoying fuckwit trying to take enjoyment in shitting up and derailing this thread "that I've picked at", (despite starting it).
I was quite annoyed with a number of the changes, so I criticised aspects of the F2P game. I'd look up the posts and dates to prove your stupidity, ("years", "every single thread", lol, etc) but frankly I can't be bothered. Prove you wrong? Again, you overestimate how much I care about you or your opinion.

Yeah, you pretty obviously don't care.

EDIT: Christ, see what you've done? You've made me as tedious as you.

I'm just saying, I can see it now: you're going to be right back complaining about every single annoyance like it's the end of the world in four months. And I'll put down five e-bux that it starts with the LI system.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:47:14 AM by Modern Angel »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 08:52:21 AM

Item XP is separate from character xp. Read the dark blue note after a kill or quest sometime. The Item XP is split among the number of LI you have slotted the same way base xp is split among a group. That is to say, there is a multiplier for more then 1.

Yep, I knew it was split between the LIs, I just wasn't sure if the LI xp was also split off my character xp total per kill.

MA - I doubt I'll be actively playing in 4 months. Lifetime sub = no pressure felt to play constantly. I just bought Isengard tonight for both myself and my wife. I figure I'll play around with it for a couple of weeks while I'm on break from work, then put it down again for the most part when I go back. Not enough time for MMOing when work is on these days. If I'm lucky I'll be logging on for a couple of hours a week at most. You should probably ease off the caffeine, though.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 11:54:45 AM

Keep in mind the crappy LI that seems like it doesn't have any stats will get better as it levels, gaining new and higher rank legacies, and giving you more points to level the legacies and dps. Like others suggested, there is no down-side to keeping it 'equipped' in one of your LI slots, but just keeping it dormant in your inventory. You can toy around with it as it levels and see what the system is about, or deconstruct it when you find something better and use the resulting parts on your new LI.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 04:04:33 PM

like a lot of MMOs, you don't need to really care about LI's until the end game.  And then only if you really worry about min/maxing for raid/PvP/PvE.   The only genuine criticism I've heard against LI's now is that Turbine has relied on them too much for class balance, which I guess is kind of true depending on your experience.  For me, I just wish the LI's were a little more legendary, and not as common as rock chips in Moria.  Making them disposable as craft items for relics really  sucks out the esteem I think the system was originally hoping to inspire.  But again, they are mucho fun to level at 45+ since you do get a tiny bump in performance in PvE.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 06:31:59 PM

I agree, the system probably would have been better if you more often found pieces of LIs (like relics or shards), or broken LIs that could only be deconned. Would have made it feel a little more, well, legendary when you did find one, and it would make more sense within the context of the game (ruined places often have ruined weapons).
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 06:33:15 PM

Then f13 would be caterwauling about how only the catasses have decent LIs.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 07:37:50 PM

Here's another renoob question - what are tasks?

I noticed the last 2 times I've played that all the stuff that used to be vendor trash now has "can be turned in for tasks" on it. SO I've kept them instead of selling, so I can figure out what they are and if I want to use them as turnins or sell them for money (which I have little of again).

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 07:40:11 PM

Just a way of getting rep for all those obsolete factions, pre-50 factions. You can basically follow the logic to whatever faction is dominant in a given zone.

Personally, I take the cash unless there's a really rad horse I want.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:42 AM

I just sell it all. There's more than enough xp from killing/quests, I'd rather have the cash in general.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 01:14:25 AM

Thanks - the horses all seem to be much of a muchness really. Some look a bit nicer but there's not a whole lot of wow-factor in the LOTR horses compared to, say, WoW's menagerie of mounts - but I guess that's in keeping with the lore and theme. Even Shadowfax was a plain white horse that didn't even have a blanket, let alone a saddle! I got the Minas Tirith (?) premium horse awhile back with the extra speed and HP, and now with three Rohirrim horses on top of the summer and Winter festival ones.. probably not a big deal now.

still.. is there a site with pics of the various factions' horses?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 05:21:28 AM

AS A MATTER OF FACT!

The greatest mount website in any game, ever.

http://www.lotrosteeds.com/
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 05:53:43 AM

What a load of fucking shit! The horses all look like arse, and they all need you to grind endlessly like some fucking cockmonkey, but then the greedy cunts roll out the "buy with Turbine points" ticket to suck the cash from your wallet, BUT THEN the ones you buy with real money don't have as many hit points as the others so you're forced to grind like an arsehole (that's you, you asshole!) anyway so as to not be gimped after they've already taken your money. Oh, and Legendary Items! I guess they suck, too!

So how was that? I hope it suited your needs.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Anyway, thanks for the link. There's a few there I quite like the look of. Question though - when they list the price as 5g whatever - does it still cost that when you already have your horse licence? I recall it used to me much cheaper once you already had a horse licence - 1g or something like that. Is this the same or has it changed to become more expensive?

Either way, I'm quite happy with the Steed of Minas Ithil and the Rohirrim mounts for the meantime, but some of those others couldn't hurt.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 12:16:15 PM

5g on top of. All of the faction mounts cost. Prized Thorin's Hall Goat is all you'll ever need.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 09:05:00 AM

I've been playing this a bit recently and just got up to lvl 18.  During the course of play I had earned 95 turbine points so I unlocked riding and went and got a Summer Fest horse.  500 silver and a few minutes jumping styles for a nice looking 62% speed horse.

I don't feel like I need a whole stable so this is the horse I'll probably use until I quit the game for new shiny.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Idiot's guide to Legendary items?  
Jump to: