Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  (Read 172812 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: June 03, 2011, 12:31:47 PM

SyFy and Trion Worlds' cross-platform game and live action series will be demonstrated at Trion's E3 booth.

Three years ago, online game publisher Trion Worlds partnered with Syfy to develop the world's first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game and scripted live action television series. The science fiction MMO action game from this collaboration, Defiance, will make its cross-platform debut at E3 2011 in Los Angeles next week. The open world shooter game will be demonstrated live for the first time ever on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 at Trion's booth.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/e3-defiance-tv-show-online-194736

Interesting game, I'm curious to see how it'll turn out.

Syfy writer Rockne O'Bannon (Farscape, The Triangle) has worked with both game developer Trion and the creative team behind the new television series. Howe said Defiance has been designed and built from the ground up with a joined-at-the-hip team that's been meeting every week for the last two or three years to co-conceive, co-create, and co-develop a bunch of characters and a storyline and mythology that will work across both the TV series and MMO game.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:48:08 PM

C'mon now...I know Trion's shown themselves to be pretty competent so far with the whole MMO thing.  But I'm still waiting on my promised Stargate Universe MMO tie-in to the show...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:50:04 PM

I wonder if this is the same guys I was working with.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:50:55 PM

Because they exist in a single universe, the show and the game will influence and evolve each other over time, with actions in both mediums driving the overall story of Defiance.

Oh I can't wait to see this. SPLOITZ AWAY!! The TV show better reference wall hacks and exploiting or else it'll burn to the ground. Meh, hell with it, it will burn to the ground anyway - the hardcore people will see to that.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:19:14 PM

Wat da fuck? Is this some Captain Power shit going on?  why so serious?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:48 AM

Console MMO + TV show?  awesome, for real
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:12:35 PM

Massively just put out an E3 article on this...I'm now interested.  Hey Bloodworth, I found that MMO you were lookin' for.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-trion-worlds-talks-defiance/

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:36 PM

Massively just put out an E3 article on this...I'm now interested.  Hey Bloodworth, I found that MMO you were lookin' for.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

So should we start in again on the aiming abilities of KB&M versus gamepad here, or take it into another room?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:18:07 PM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

So should we start in again on the aiming abilities of KB&M versus gamepad here, or take it into another room?

KB&M has been proven to be superior.  Scientists and shit did tests.    why so serious? 

Regardless of that, it doesn't matter, since Xbox, PS3 and PC won't be able to actually play together.

Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 01:20:55 PM

Regardless of that, it doesn't matter, since Xbox, PS3 and PC won't be able to actually play together.

swamp poop So 3 tv shows then?  why so serious?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:10 PM

No...one show with three scoreboards.  Top people maybe get mentioned in the actual show.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:48:12 PM

No...one show with three scoreboards.  Top people maybe get mentioned in the actual show.

"We have a lot of good soldiers on our side. Men and woman like Coque Gobbla, xxxDoMiN8xxx and Drizzt Dwarfstabber are what keep Earth safe."

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 02:32:45 AM

awesome, for real

Who in their right minds thinks this is anything but a laughingstock level failure? How are people getting paid to proposition ideas as ill conceived as this one?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 07:02:32 AM

The same people who put together an amazingly polished game with state-of-the-art combat and skill mechanics and drop it into the most generic fantasy world imaginable.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:49 AM

Personally I think that it is cool that they are trying to push the boundaries of media and gaming. I don't care that it might suck. What I do care about is that they are trying to evolve what may or may not be fun. I like watching them trying to grow gaming into other areas of entertainment. If it sucks i wont play it or watch it. If they do a good job i will play it and watch it. Easy as that. More power to them for being experimental.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:57 AM

awesome, for real

Who in their right minds thinks this is anything but a laughingstock level failure? How are people getting paid to proposition ideas as ill conceived as this one?

"WE WANT INNOVATION!"

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?"

"WE WANT INNOVATION!"
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 01:14:22 PM

I can't wait to see the frustration at Sci-Fi (I'll spell it like an adult, thanks) when players don't do what the Hollywood writers anticipated.

I don't mind integration between Hollywood and games, but so far Hollywood has repeatedly proven unable to comprehend that games are, how you say, "inter-active?"

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 05:49:12 PM

I can't wait to see the frustration at Sci-Fi (I'll spell it like an adult, thanks) when players don't do what the Hollywood writers anticipated.

I don't mind integration between Hollywood and games, but so far Hollywood has repeatedly proven unable to comprehend that games are, how you say, "inter-active?"

At some point in the process you have to believe that Hartsman and crew are advising Syfy of the habits of gamers and the risks involved.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 05:39:43 AM

At some point in the process you have to believe that Hartsman and crew are advising Syfy of the habits of gamers and the risks involved.

No, it really does come down to the money.  Reference: Killing the BSG, SG and other classic sci-fi franchises

Corp Suit: "I hear these MMO things make money hats.  We should try and get one to tie in with the show!"

Trion: "Um, yeah, we could do that, but, you have heard of John Gabriel's Greater Internet F***wad Theory, yes?"

Suit: "Bullocks!  There's millions of those warcrafty people playing!  That's more than we ever had watching Caprica.  Make my game!"

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:08 AM

Yes, but I don't have to believe that Sci-Fi will listen.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:33 AM

The same SyFy that brought you Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus and the like?  swamp poop

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 11:08:36 AM

The same SyFy THAT CHANGED ITS NAME TO SYFY  swamp poop
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 11:12:35 AM

The same SyFy THAT CHANGED ITS NAME TO SYFY  swamp poop

Touchè sir.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 03:38:50 PM

The same Sci-Fi that canceled MST3K in order to fill that time slot with un-MSTied versions of MST3K movies.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 07:19:31 PM

How exactly are gamers going to mess with the TV show?   Isn't it being filmed normally and they're simply changing it based on events in the game?   By events I assume they mean "Oh look someone killed the lich king".
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 08:06:48 PM

How exactly are gamers going to mess with the TV show?   Isn't it being filmed normally and they're simply changing it based on events in the game?   By events I assume they mean "Oh look someone killed the lich king".

Then that begs a question from me, why fucking bother in the first place?

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 08:13:44 PM

Then that begs a question from me, why fucking bother in the first place?

I'm going to guess it's more intended to go in the other direction but who knows.   
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 11:02:04 PM

So what happens when some catassers shock your the producer and down the Lich Kings in the first night?

"That's it! I can abide his evil no longer! I will slay this dark foe! This maligner of worlds, this - (someone whispers in his ear)- whats that you say? He has been put to the sword already? By the stalwart hero PwnURass112! Well then, who's up for drinks at the local?"

Okay okay, I have to stop. This whole thing is just to ripe for parody. I'm not especially creative or inventive, and even I can see many of the facepalming avenues this will end up going down. I look forward to seeing the hilariously cynical predictions you jaded mother-fuckers make that end up coming true.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 12:00:53 AM

I just don't understand why they're putting so much effort, and money(presumably), into something that all of five people will care about after the novelty wears off a few weeks after release.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 01:45:00 AM

So what happens when some catassers shock your the producer and down the Lich Kings in the first night?
The same thing that happens in WoW?  They'll get temp banned and Trion will fix some exploits then everyone will pretend it didn't happen.   Syfy is the one paying for this idea.   It's a lot more about trying to put a TV show into your MMO than the reverse.   They'll just cherry pick the best stuff from the game to throw into the show to make players feel more involved in it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 07:35:52 AM

I just don't understand why they're putting so much effort, and money(presumably), into something that all of five people will care about after the novelty wears off a few weeks after release.
It's a show on SyFy.  All of five people will care in the first place...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 08:23:14 AM

Is it confirmed that SyFy are actually paying for development? Trion may have agreed to cover development costs and pay a royalty for the opportunity to develop a MMO along these lines, meaning that SyFy doesn't have to put their hand in their pocket at all.

Why would Trion do that? Free publicity for their title and the chance to get in on the ground floor with a new sci-fi property that could attract a cult following. If (big if) Defiance makes it past its first season, there is a good chance of there being a core audience who would watch and play.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:05 AM

Is it confirmed that SyFy are actually paying for development? Trion may have agreed to cover development costs and pay a royalty for the opportunity to develop a MMO along these lines, meaning that SyFy doesn't have to put their hand in their pocket at all.

Why would Trion do that? Free publicity for their title and the chance to get in on the ground floor with a new sci-fi property that could attract a cult following. If (big if) Defiance makes it past its first season, there is a good chance of there being a core audience who would watch and play.

Maybe they'll be able to show those Rift Weather Reports for free during commercials?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 09:51:33 AM

If you watch the earlier videos it really comes across like it was SyFy's idea.   Specifically like it's a pet project of some big wig at SyFy.   Of course that doesn't mean they didn't sucker Trion into footing the bill.   I sort of doubt they pay royalties though.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 03:26:53 PM

Finally a trailer out for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQfooemkI0

Looks ok I guess. *shrugs*  It looks like a PvE focus if I had to guess?  At least that will set it apart from PS2 and Firefall.  *shrugs*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  
Jump to: