Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  (Read 172499 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: May 01, 2014, 04:21:58 PM

It started getting pretty good when things got all mystical/magical, but the direction of the show itself was obviously sophomoric... which showed especially in the last epi. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: May 02, 2014, 12:26:38 AM

I didn't like the direction they took it with him settling into the town there.  If it has been "The Adventures of Guy and Daughter In Post-Alien-Apocalypse America" I think it would have been more interesting.  But I just couldn't bring myself to care about the politics of Defiance.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: May 02, 2014, 06:14:15 AM

I didn't like the direction they took it with him settling into the town there.  If it has been "The Adventures of Guy and Daughter In Post-Alien-Apocalypse America" I think it would have been more interesting.  But I just couldn't bring myself to care about the politics of Defiance.

I was still onboard when it came to politics but once it went all mystic supernatural near the end I was ready to give up on it (but I did watch it to the finish and I still have a silly hope they'll ditch all that when the second season starts since I'm a sucker for a non-zombie post-apocalyptic world serieses)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #598 on: May 02, 2014, 06:15:31 AM

I have a hard time deciding which show is shittier and ruined my favourote setting the most between Defiance and Revolution. I still want to keep watching both, but they really make it hard at times.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: May 02, 2014, 06:30:11 AM

We'll see where they go. I can roll with the mystical if this is the peak or it comes up with science-fantasy explanations, but if they keep going down the rabbit hole, I'm not going to be really happy. To me, it's a popcorn show. It's nothing great, particularly in today's world where there's just a flood of very high quality tv. However, I found the series entertaining enough to watch which is more tahn I can say about Revolution, Under the Dome, SHIELD, the 100, Fallen Skies, and more that I've forgotten.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #600 on: May 02, 2014, 08:09:52 AM

I watched the first episode of Under the Dome.  It really pissed me off.  How could I ever watch a series made by people who think the inside of a cow is raspberry sorbet?  I had to look up The 100, I've never even heard of it. 

I like Defiance.  I really like Tony Curran who is even cuter painted white.  I do agree with people about the main male lead being sort of wooden and not very animated.  I'm sure he can do better.  Or... they should get Richard Roxburgh.  They look almost just alike and he's awesome in Rake.  People won't even be able to tell the difference visually.  On the other hand, I really like Rake and don't want him to leave.  I'm feeling conflicted.

Speaking about New Zealand, I love the All Blacks.  Every single last one of them.  Going to an All Blacks game is on my bucket list. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #601 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:59 AM

I watched the first episode of Under the Dome.  It really pissed me off.  How could I ever watch a series made by people who think the inside of a cow is raspberry sorbet?  I had to look up The 100, I've never even heard of it. 

I like Defiance.  I really like Tony Curran who is even cuter painted white.  I do agree with people about the main male lead being sort of wooden and not very animated.  I'm sure he can do better.  Or... they should get Richard Roxburgh.  They look almost just alike and he's awesome in Rake.  People won't even be able to tell the difference visually.  On the other hand, I really like Rake and don't want him to leave.  I'm feeling conflicted.

Speaking about New Zealand, I love the All Blacks.  Every single last one of them.  Going to an All Blacks game is on my bucket list. 

I enjoyed Defiance for what it is, mindless entertainment. Popcorn show is pretty accurate. Tony Curran though... rattled me for the first 3 episodes. I could not get the thought of him as a Tinman VanGogh outta my head the whole time.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #602 on: May 02, 2014, 08:35:06 AM

I had to look up The 100, I've never even heard of it. 

The 100 is a really odd show. Lord of the Flies meets the CW network. It comes across like a show targeted at teens, and then they just start randomly offing what appear to be main characters.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: May 02, 2014, 08:47:45 AM

Yah, by 'direction' I meant the director.  It's just not a well implemented show.  As for theme, you already know I (and most everyone) agree with you there.  Had they kept with the game's premise (father-daughter merc treasure-hunters), the show would've been awesome - but I think budget had a say in that, as being in a different location every day would've been pricey.

Really, it's just another lost sci-fi opportunity imo, so far.  If it lasts to a 3rd season, then mayhaps it'll gain a foothold similar to how BSG or DS9 did.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: May 02, 2014, 08:50:20 AM

I tried to watch The 100, if for nothing else than the company's other products have migrated to Kindle Worlds and I thought it sounded interesting. I just couldn't survive. 100 poor teenage brats marooned on a post-apocalyptic earth with nothing but hair product between them and death...

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #605 on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:20 PM

Best apocalyptic story ever:  A Boy and his Dog.  I haven't seen the film for ages, either, so that's tonight's entertainment.  That and Hannibal, because I love the death art.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:27 AM

Best apocalyptic story ever:  A Boy and his Dog.

Though he can be a vindictive, mean-spirited cuss, Harlan Ellison is an exceptional writer; one of very few I read when I need inspiration.

I don't care to imagine a world without him in it.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: May 03, 2014, 04:04:29 AM

Ellison is brilliant. He's the one sci-fi author that can consistently surprise me, and I know I haven't read all of his stories. Needless to say I went apeshit back in the day when he had his Babylon 5 cameo. I didn't think that show could get more awesome. Except for Penn and Teller.

I've had a few tonight. I'm not even sure where this conversation was going.

I'll probably regret this tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:49:38 AM by raydeen »

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #608 on: June 06, 2014, 05:51:22 AM

Free to Play is here! Take a look (and turn on damage numbers from the options for that Borderlands feeling).

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:34 AM

These guys can go fuck themselves. I still feel like they stole my money regarding the season content passes.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:29 AM

These guys can go fuck themselves. I still feel like they stole my money regarding the season content passes.

I share the feeling  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: June 06, 2014, 10:36:26 AM

Just for shits and giggles i tried to recover my account. Sometime between the last time I logged in and now they implemented authenticator recovery security questions. I recorded the old authenticator serial number when I switched phones recently thinking I could just pop the serial number in and run with it (like every other software authenticator I've ever used)...nope. You have to log in through the authenticator software on the phone and answer security questions that I never put answers into. You can not just put the old serial number in and then have a working authenticator.

So I go to the support site, can't file a ticket without my authenticator, can't go to support forums without authenticator, can't use live chat without authenticator... wait for it...Trion has no phone support at all. They do not take customer phone calls of any kind.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #612 on: June 07, 2014, 09:51:34 AM

Hi Pennilenko,

Please see: https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1719

I believe this page has the information needed for you to regain access to your Trion account.  If you're still having trouble, send me a private message with details and I'll try to get you in touch with CS directly.   
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: June 08, 2014, 02:20:57 AM

Defiance was a lot of fun to play but the chat system killed the game for me. I never was able to feel like I was in an MMO because the char was so utterly horrid that interacting with other players was more or less impossible. Combine that with a severe lack of quality of life features (Revolving around socialization) and I quickly lost interest.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: June 08, 2014, 06:08:37 AM

It's been on steam sale so it was basically already f2p. Played it through, sort of enjoyed it, but once the story ran out there's no reason to keep playing. You've visited every POI on the (small) map, the gameplay had gotten repetitive long before you finished and there's no progress on your character other than amazing achievement grinds.

MMO's that believe they can do sequential story telling through hand-crafted new content are delusional in general, and this one never came close. Indeed I still have little idea what the back-story was, but all a shooter story needs to do is give you goal, a map and enough opponents to shoot your way through and it works so the bar was pretty low.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: August 30, 2014, 05:25:46 AM

When it went f2p I got to the end of season 1, now doing the odd season 2 mission, but its a bit samey. Great fun whilst it lasted though.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  
Jump to: