Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:49:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  (Read 172779 times)
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 03:37:09 PM

Finally a trailer out for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQfooemkI0

Looks ok I guess. *shrugs*  It looks like a PvE focus if I had to guess?  At least that will set it apart from PS2 and Firefall.  *shrugs*

"THOUSANDS OF PLAYERS"

At least they're not succumbing to unrealistic expectations.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 04:09:11 PM

I like the look of that. I get a borderlands feel from it. But I wonder how its going to interact with the show.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 05:50:17 PM

Can't imagine there'll be much tied together. Maybe some scripted events in the game where the outcome becomes some throwaway line from the main cast in the following episode. But beyond that, story-based TV shows need to control too much of the viewing experience, and make too many realtime changes during shoots, to be affected by the random actions of gamers.

Made for a nice press release last year. But I wouldn't be surprised if only this game launches and the show itself never does.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 05:58:08 PM

Looks like fun. Basically a star-craft zerg rush from the marines perspective. If the enemy is aggressive enough that it rewards co-operative tactics it could be something quite novel.

Echoes of GW2 zone events and I assume ME3 multi-player. Hopefully they've realised that large player count on-line games can be something other than purely PvP, and I would be hella delighted. Group play with your friends without having to buy into the MMO grind would be awesome.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:44 PM

I think it will be more than that Darniaq... If its anything like the project plan from a few years ago. I think what happened is the people I was working with shopped it around so much.... This beat it to the punch.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 06:56:03 PM

Looks like fun. Basically a star-craft zerg rush from the marines perspective. If the enemy is aggressive enough that it rewards co-operative tactics it could be something quite novel.

Echoes of GW2 zone events and I assume ME3 multi-player. Hopefully they've realised that large player count on-line games can be something other than purely PvP, and I would be hella delighted. Group play with your friends without having to buy into the MMO grind would be awesome.

I had this mental picture in my head of a big PvE based world in which different bases/outposts come under NPC controlled alien attacks ala Rift, but sort of as the main source of content.  So it would hypothetically be a ongoing war between the players and NPCs losing and gaining towns as they go, players could either push to some hive (one town at a time, reclaiming them on the way), or be pushed back to their capital city and crushed.

Now that I have my best case scenario out there, I'm fully prepared for it to be highly instanced missions ala Global Agenda   why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 09:44:08 AM

Looked interesting with buggies flying and mowing down guys. Then they went bughunt and I was all like... why?

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 07:02:51 PM

I had this mental picture in my head of a big PvE based world in which different bases/outposts come under NPC controlled alien attacks ala Rift, but sort of as the main source of content.  So it would hypothetically be a ongoing war between the players and NPCs losing and gaining towns as they go, players could either push to some hive (one town at a time, reclaiming them on the way), or be pushed back to their capital city and crushed.

Now that I have my best case scenario out there, I'm fully prepared for it to be highly instanced missions ala Global Agenda   why so serious?

Tabula Rasa had the seeds of this idea. Aliens would launch invasions of keeps and capture them if Players didn't help the defense or take them back. Though of course like everything in TR it was half-baked and didn't go anywhere. Really fun though and it's inclusive, the more defenders the merrier.

- Simond
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 08:26:32 PM

I was there for the debut and I've talked to Rob Hill before.  This is pretty much a straight pve shooter using the rift engine and "rift" tech.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 11:44:16 PM

I was there for the debut and I've talked to Rob Hill before.  This is pretty much a straight pve shooter using the rift engine and "rift" tech.

Interest officially killed.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #45 on: April 08, 2012, 09:39:40 AM

Tabula Rasa had the seeds of this idea. Aliens would launch invasions of keeps and capture them if Players didn't help the defense or take them back. Though of course like everything in TR it was half-baked and didn't go anywhere. Really fun though and it's inclusive, the more defenders the merrier.

I was in pretty early for TR and it was a lot of fun. Definitely had the relatively dynamic event system factor nailed, I preferred it over Rift's in many ways, since as you say, often it was centered on a defense emplacement you had to defend (or reclaim). Plus Borderlands-style loot drops.

Game definitely started taking a turn for the worse as release neared, though. I think one of the best reasons to play beta is to have fun before they 'balance' it out.

If they can do TR right, it could be pretty awesome. However, given their (admittedly limited) track record in world-building, I'm skeptical.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:53 AM

If they can do TR right, it could be pretty awesome. However, given their (admittedly limited) track record in world-building, I'm skeptical.

Who is making this game?  I mean the actual developers. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 08, 2012, 09:52:09 PM

Trion...not sure I understand the question.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 05:50:47 AM

Trion...not sure I understand the question.

I mean, what projects have the actual human beings working on this game worked on before.  I don't get the impression this is people from the Rift team.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 06:18:42 AM

Why wouldn't it be? I'd guess they've got whatever live team the put together working on Rift and the core of the dev team has been working on this for a while now.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 06:38:36 AM

Why wouldn't it be? I'd guess they've got whatever live team the put together working on Rift and the core of the dev team has been working on this for a while now.

Well for End of Nations, for example, they brought on Petroglyph.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 08:36:55 AM

Well Petroglyph is making the game and Trion is doing the backend stuff for it, if I remember correctly.  Defiance is all Trion at another studio location (San Diego?).
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:07 PM

I mean, what projects have the actual human beings working on this game worked on before.  I don't get the impression this is people from the Rift team.

I know two people working on it, both were hired after Rift was released (or at least after it was in beta) specifically to work on it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 25, 2012, 01:26:54 PM

So the show just started production and is going to air Spring 2013.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 04:31:32 PM

A fair amount of people from the San Diego development community. So ex-SOE, Rockstar, 989, Highmoon, THQ/Bottlerocket/Concrete. Probably pulled some people down from the main Trion studio in SF I bet. The "core" of the studio when it was founded were almost all SOE veterans.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 08:55:15 AM

http://www.defiancejunkies.com/2012/05/22/video-documentry-on-the-making-of-defiance/

Sorry for the shill, but some new info out about the show more than the game.  Kind of a simple Making Of Documentary that's 6 minutes long.  Cool new shots of the CGI of the show.  Gameplay/game stuff is still from the video released last month.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:21:35 AM by Draegan »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 11:38:57 AM

Holy shit, one of the game features is the ability to "level up"!  Wow! 

I wish them the best.  They've really got a deck stacked against them, considering TV and games have just about the most unforgiving and fickle fans across any hobby.  As a new IP, both the show and the game are entirely dependent on the other for success, so if one is bad the whole project will suffer.  Not to mention that Syfy pretty much needs to be all-in for 3-5 seasons minimum for this to even try to catch on. 

Again, not trying to rain on parades, but the scope of the project is very, very large. 

Also, the game looks like TR.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 12:48:59 AM

Holy shit, one of the game features is the ability to "level up"!  Wow! 

I wish them the best.  They've really got a deck stacked against them, considering TV and games have just about the most unforgiving and fickle fans across any hobby. 

While I agree with that in general, I always thought Eve Online's playerbase could be turned into a reality TV show. But I'm not talking about a reality show like the bread and butter low budget stuff we get now, but a show with the actual motif of the Eve universe. A lot of the dialogue and plot points are heavily inspired (if not a simple copy and paste) of past actions of corps/alliances and the capricious Olympian gods who watch over them.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 02, 2012, 07:56:48 AM

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:56 AM

The video suggests that within the open world you can queue for instanced events. And they mention the open world as "do some resource gathering". Will be interesting to find out the details.

... from a distance. Though if it's the first shooter to let PC and Xbox users play together that should be amusing.

- Simond
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 12:26:05 PM

I like Trion, so I'll at least keep an eye on this, but I'm not really getting my hopes up for something special.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 12:36:59 PM

No pvp, no interest. 

I like Trion and support their efforts, but this game holds nothing for me. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 12:55:45 PM

No pvp, no interest. 

I like Trion and support their efforts, but this game holds nothing for me. 

No PvP? When was that said?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 01:59:45 PM

While ago.  It's a PVE game.  I have no idea if that means no BGs or duels but it's not a PVP focused game.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 04:51:54 PM

The developer video says it has "session based player versus player conflict maps".

- Simond
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 07:19:19 AM

The developer video says it has "session based player versus player conflict maps".

Rift shows that Trion has no interest in creating serious PvP content.  Even now... all these months after release, the balance in pvp is terrible in Rift. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 08:07:14 AM

At least they're looking into pvp stat equalization in RIFT (and already have almost-equalizing bolstering), which puts them several tiers above other DIKUs like wow/swtor.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 01:03:14 PM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 06:56:35 PM

The only thing i got out of that is that there is going to be pvp.  Which is good.

I am the .00000001428%
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:05 PM

So what happens when SyFy cancels the show? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  
Jump to: