Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341483 times)
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: September 03, 2011, 09:14:50 PM

We hate diesels for some reason...
GM fucked us with their Olds 350 diesel disaster.  The car-based diesel business died a premature death in the US due to that abortion.  Stations not selling diesel is also an inconvenience, but if more diesels were around more stations would sell it, so it would fix itself.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #211 on: September 04, 2011, 04:46:41 PM

I seem to remember my dad and grandfather plugging in engine block heaters on their diesels, too. Have they gotten around that. Seems to be an issue with using one as a biodiesel conversion, iirc.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: September 04, 2011, 07:14:55 PM

I had a 2010 Mercedes ML320 Bluetech for awhile, no problems starting up in the cold. It does have glow plugs, but the car handles that at startup automagically if needed. It may even have heating elements to keep fuel warm, it has a monster battery that almost always seems to have a charge pulling off it.

Yes diesel isn't cheaper than gas, but the Bluetech got 35+ MPG on the highway, while the gasoline version got 23-ish MPG highway. It also had monster torque, even if the turbo lag was a bit annoying.

Toureg?

Bit too big, looking for something smaller for commuting 40+ miles a day. If the Liberty's were still available in diesel, that might be an option. Or, heck, even an Audi A3 (if only they were in AWD!) would be an answer commuter.

- Viin
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: September 04, 2011, 08:09:09 PM

Have they gotten around that.
Nope, just the way it is.  The diesel cycle needs heat to start, but once it starts it's a self-perpetuating cycle.  The fuel itself starts to gel below 35°F, bio diesel is worse due to the impurities (most diesel engines have fuel heaters too).  You can still run a diesel in sub-zero temperatures if you run the block heater to get the diesel cycle started without too much issue.  One of the diesel boards I hang out on is 70% Canadian, so I know they work there ;-)
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: September 04, 2011, 10:26:05 PM

Last time I checked it's not possible to buy a new vehicle in Canada without factory installed block heaters, gas or diesel.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #215 on: September 05, 2011, 04:29:00 PM

A gallon of regular gasoline = 125,000 BTU/US gallon

A gallon of diesel =  138,700 BTU/US gallon (another source gave it as high as 147,000 BTU/U.S. gallon)

If I remember, it is like 10 gallons of diesel fuel and 19 gallons of gasoline is made from refining a barrel of crude (I think 44 gallons in a barrel).  We could redo production to produce more diesel eventually, but no one wants to commit to diesel everything.  I'm beginning to think it is more of the ethanol and ethanol/gasoline blends that want to keep out the diesel.  Hmmm we could blame NASCAR since everyone wants the go fast and use stock car crap or INDY car with the ETOH they use, or top fuel drag racers...even though diesel helped build all of those tracks and events...
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: September 05, 2011, 06:27:07 PM

Ethanol is the worst crap that ever crapped up the crap. Whoever in the corn lobby dreamed up that horse shit ought to be summarily shot in the center of town for all to see and left to rot as a warning to other cock mongers.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: September 05, 2011, 07:03:26 PM

I am disappointed in the selection of AWD/4X4 diesel vehicles available in the US - either huge SUV, huge truck, or a Merc? blah

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza-wrx/index.html

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: September 05, 2011, 07:49:23 PM

I am disappointed in the selection of AWD/4X4 diesel vehicles available in the US - either huge SUV, huge truck, or a Merc? blah

You obviously missed the "diesel" part.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:34 PM

Yeah, otherwise there'd be an FJ all up in here.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: September 05, 2011, 10:46:53 PM

It would be a DJ not an FJ :) FJ's were the designations for the gasoline F engine and DJ for there diesel engines (both the 4 and 6 cylinder they made), unfortunately, very few were imported in to the USA (from facts of imports they went to mining companies), Canada had more imported and would be more available.   Either way, it would be a 1970's FJ or DJ that would be cool if restored.  Something like that just screams money pit!

Another great diesel was the 1980 International Scout II, had a turbo 300 Nissan engine, guys who own one swear they get 20 city and 30 highway, and that is with beefy axle, engine, transmission, and transfer case.  Of course IH stopped there light truck line the next year in 1981...

Jeep put a Perkins diesel engine in back in the 1960's, it was rather unsupported and being from England (the motor), spare parts were a bear to get.

Nissan never brought what some consider a great 4x4, the diesel powered Patrol (hell they never brought the Nissan Patrol here period).

I would think your cheapest and decent support route would be finding a 1982 to 1991 diesel powered Chevy Blazer, especially the CCUV that are being sold surplus.  You can pick one up for about 2k to 5k depending on the shape and your haggle ability.  Then if you want to get a manual transmission it won't be a bad swap as all the parts are available, plus there are tons of parts for the chevy 6.2 diesel and turbo diesel, from what I drove in the military and the guys who own them, it isn't the crappy "Olds 350" that sucked ass.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: September 06, 2011, 05:35:43 AM

plus there are tons of parts for the chevy 6.2 diesel and turbo diesel, from what I drove in the military and the guys who own them, it isn't the crappy "Olds 350" that sucked ass.
I drive a Detroit Diesel 6.2.  It's a great engine and economic: I get 19MPG around town in mine and know several guys getting into the 25-26MPG range.  The Detroit Diesel 6.5 with a turbo is also popular, same with putting the turbo on the earlier 6.2 (since both are essentially the same engine).  GM did their trucks right.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: September 06, 2011, 07:00:51 AM

You obviously missed the "diesel" part.

I did.  Screw Diesel. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: September 06, 2011, 10:15:14 PM

It would be a DJ not an FJ :)
Pfft!

I was thinking of this thread today when I got behind a diesel truck and got to enjoy the stench of the exhaust.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: September 07, 2011, 11:46:39 AM

Can they not afford to paint the roof?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: September 07, 2011, 01:47:51 PM

It would be a DJ not an FJ :) FJ's were the designations for the gasoline F engine and DJ for there diesel engines (both the 4 and 6 cylinder they made), unfortunately, very few were imported in to the USA (from facts of imports they went to mining companies), Canada had more imported and would be more available.   Either way, it would be a 1970's FJ or DJ that would be cool if restored.  Something like that just screams money pit!

Another great diesel was the 1980 International Scout II, had a turbo 300 Nissan engine, guys who own one swear they get 20 city and 30 highway, and that is with beefy axle, engine, transmission, and transfer case.  Of course IH stopped there light truck line the next year in 1981...

Jeep put a Perkins diesel engine in back in the 1960's, it was rather unsupported and being from England (the motor), spare parts were a bear to get.

Nissan never brought what some consider a great 4x4, the diesel powered Patrol (hell they never brought the Nissan Patrol here period).

I would think your cheapest and decent support route would be finding a 1982 to 1991 diesel powered Chevy Blazer, especially the CCUV that are being sold surplus.  You can pick one up for about 2k to 5k depending on the shape and your haggle ability.  Then if you want to get a manual transmission it won't be a bad swap as all the parts are available, plus there are tons of parts for the chevy 6.2 diesel and turbo diesel, from what I drove in the military and the guys who own them, it isn't the crappy "Olds 350" that sucked ass.

You need to get your Landcruisers right.... BJ40 was the diesel model number.  I passed up on a FJ45V and am still kicking myself. (Four door long wheel base). My son loves driving in our 1979 FJ40, I can't bring myself to get rid of it for the 2 days of snow we get a year.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: September 07, 2011, 02:00:57 PM

Can they not afford to paint the roof?

I was also going to ask who he had come pull him off the snowbank and what kinda truck they drove ..

- Viin
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: September 08, 2011, 08:38:24 AM

Wow, talk about being d and b confused, besides the DJ was the postal or "dispatch" jeep that was right hand drive with optional 4wheel drive...which never came in a diesel as far as I can tell.

Anyone had a Mini Cooper convertible?  I'm thinking of going the car route again, and they look fun.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: September 08, 2011, 08:40:12 AM

Anyone had a Mini Cooper convertible?  I'm thinking of going the car route again, and they look fun.

I drove one when looking at a GTI.  Give one a test ride.  They are incredibly fun to drive, but the lack of cargo space made it impractical for me.  The GTI was similar in both pep and handling and I could fold down the rear seat for lots of storage room.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:42:00 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:39 AM

Anyone had a Mini Cooper convertible?  I'm thinking of going the car route again, and they look fun.

I drove when when looking at a GTI.  Give one a test ride.  They are incredibly fun to drive, but the lack of cargo space made it impractical for me.  The GTI was similar in both pep and handling and I could fold down the rear seat for lots of storage room. 

I did the same as Nebu.  I felt the GTI was more practical without sacrificing the fun and it even costs less once you have it nicely equipped.

This post also marks my 1 year of ownership anniversary and I still love my GTI.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: September 08, 2011, 09:43:06 AM

This post also marks my 1 year of ownership anniversary and I still love my GTI.

7 years and 80k miles on my GTI and it still turns heads.  I love my GTI.  Never had a single problem with the car, just changed oil and tires as needed. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #231 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:35 AM

Anyone had a Mini Cooper convertible?  I'm thinking of going the car route again, and they look fun.

I've heard the convertible has horrible sight line issues.  I've always wanted to get a Cooper S, but I need more room now with a kid in tow.

I really haven't liked a single Volkswagen I've ever test driven.  We look at them every time, and every time I come away feeling "that didn't feel right".

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #232 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26:09 PM

Minis are in a really strange spot, they get extremely high marks for customer satisfaction despite getting very low ratings for reliability, at least last time I looked at a Consumer Reports report.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: September 08, 2011, 04:56:52 PM

they get extremely high marks for customer satisfaction despite getting very low ratings for reliability
Probably because they are really fun to drive.  An ex of mine had one and the front seat was perfect, the back seat was really better off as the trunk and the way-back could hold a few groceries but not much else.  If you want a commuter car that's fun and small to drive, it's hard to go wrong with.  What I've found is that while the reliability isn't *awful* there are a few wear-out items that, being sourced from BMW parts, are not cheap or easy to fix.  They have improved the design in the later years though, so it's not as bad as it once was (parts are still pricey though).
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: September 09, 2011, 05:34:09 AM

Don't put too much stock into, "Satisfaction" surveys.  Some people feel satisfied just because they spent a lot of money or got the green color they wanted.

Similarly, some reliability ratings are often heavily influenced by stupid people.  For example if you read a newegg review of a graphics card you will notice that there will be the occasional review for an otherwise highly rated part that says something like, "Box arrived damaged and 1 day later than expected otherwise card works fine. 1 Star" which has nothing to do with the part they are reviewing or even Newegg but is actually a review of FedEx/UPS/Etc.  Reliability ratings are largely accumulated in the same way, self-reporting 'issues' by owners.  I don't know of one that is entirely based on objective metrics.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: September 09, 2011, 05:50:13 AM

So with the upcoming arrival of the baby we are looking at getting a second car for the wife.
Priorities are:
1. Gas mileage, will be used extensively in town.
2. Luggage racks
3. Possibility to tow light weight travel trailer.

Was looking at Subaru Forester and Outback of course.
But was also looking at the Volvo XC70 or maybe the Audi A4 avant.

Anyone got experience with any of these?
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: September 09, 2011, 06:26:05 AM

So with the upcoming arrival of the baby we are looking at getting a second car for the wife.
Priorities are:
2. Luggage racks

I own a Forester.  Are you looking for a New or Used car?

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:58 AM

Priorities are:
2. Luggage racks

Either.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: September 09, 2011, 07:16:02 AM

Priorities are:
2. Luggage racks

Either.

Subaru's are great, but you have to expect to do the head gaskets at around 120k miles. My son and  I did them in my garage, and it took about 12 hours.  That being said, if you have snow they can't be beat.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: September 09, 2011, 08:16:22 AM

I dont 'do' cars. Clueless when it comes to that sort of stuff, much prefer just dropping it at the mechanic's shop.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: September 09, 2011, 11:36:02 AM

I like our Highlander - it's big enough for car seats and has enough room in the back for a stroller + bags. We have a roof rack for skis. Doesn't handle as well as our Outback in the snow, but handles just fine. Drives like a car, which my wife likes and is pretty easy to park. Can get a Hybrid model if you care that much about gas, currently get about 19mpg in town.

Our Outback is good too, though it would be crammed with a car seat. (Granted, ours is a 2005, I think the newest ones have a little bit more room for the back seat). I'm bummed they got rid of the turbo Outback, but I hear the 3.6R isn't too bad. It does have good "trunk" space and racks.

- Viin
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: September 09, 2011, 03:33:10 PM

How does the outback do for gas mileage for you? I know what the websites say but what has your experience been?

We had thought of a Highlander as well but already own a 4runner. We wanted something a little lower and a little more carish. Those Volvo xc70's are really grabbing my eyes.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: September 09, 2011, 03:51:00 PM

Got a customer with the xc70 that loves it. Seems a pretty solid car to me. Rides a helluva lot more comfy than a subaru too.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: September 09, 2011, 08:29:59 PM

How does the outback do for gas mileage for you? I know what the websites say but what has your experience been?

We had thought of a Highlander as well but already own a 4runner. We wanted something a little lower and a little more carish. Those Volvo xc70's are really grabbing my eyes.

The Highlander has much less of a truck "feel" than a 4runner, so you might take one for a spin just to see. They are lower and easier to get into, and I think it drives very much like my Outback and does not seem to be any bigger even though it is a bit.

My Outback is an XT turbo, so the gas mileage is about 18 in town and 22 on my commute. The 3.6Rs or the 2.5i (non-turbos) would get better than that, but be a lot less fun to drive.  cool
I hear 25mpg+ commuting in a 3.6R from friends who have one, but I do not have any experience with those models myself.

- Viin
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: September 09, 2011, 11:04:18 PM

Got a customer with the xc70 that loves it. Seems a pretty solid car to me. Rides a helluva lot more comfy than a subaru too.

And arent you a mechanic or something Walrus? Is it expensive to maintain?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: