Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341480 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 24, 2011, 10:08:25 AM

New Camry hybrid coming in October is supposed to get 41mpg, is not a hatchback and the sunroof comes in an upgrade package, upgraded stereo has multi-disk CD and usb or bluetooth iphone/ipod/driod/music player of your choice integration.  You would think it would perform at least as well as the current model Camry hybrid and drive more like a V6 than a hybrid.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:52 AM

The trouble with Asian cars is they always fail to have the features I want.  If I wanted such a bare-bones approach I'd just buy one of the cheapest and lowest-mileage used vehicles I could find.   I really enjoy having a multi-disk CD & sunroof and I haven't seen those on most of the "good, cheap" cars from those manufacturers.  Hell, I don't think any of them actually do sunroofs now that I think of it.

Plus the only way of getting a non-hatchback accent is to get the base vehicle.  Ohhhhh, I see.  

Step up one notch to the Elantra then.  The Limited ($21K) includes leather, sunroof and other goodies (heated rear seats in a compact?) and tops out at $23K with the tech package (adds nav, bluetooth, pushbutton start, rearview camera, etc.)

Still gets 40MPG highway according to EPA, though what I've read seems to indicate that your mileage will definitely vary.

You may have a hard time finding one - I was at the dealership (a fairly high-volume outfit) last week for scheduled maintenance, and they had a grand total of one Elantra in stock.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:21:22 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #177 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:39 AM

New model year is right-out, unfortunately.  If they total my vehicle once the final estimate is in, I'll have 7 days of rental coverage then I'm on my own.  Living in the city I do with it's passionate hatred of all things even remotely public transport and being that I'm opposite end of the city of all the Ohio people I work with, going a month or two without a car won't cut it.  Heartbreak

I'll take a look at the Elantra when I get home, thanks MN.  Last I looked you couldn't find those features short of the top-end vehicles but apparently that's changed in the last few years.  (Or I just sucked at navigating their websites in 2005)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #178 on: August 24, 2011, 12:37:26 PM

If you need features I can't imagine that the Ford Focus wouldn't be perfect.  The Sync system is great on my truck.  I would still stay away from Hybrids.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: August 24, 2011, 01:10:59 PM

The trouble with Asian cars is they always fail to have the features I want.  If I wanted such a bare-bones approach I'd just buy one of the cheapest and lowest-mileage used vehicles I could find.   I really enjoy having a multi-disk CD & sunroof and I haven't seen those on most of the "good, cheap" cars from those manufacturers.  Hell, I don't think any of them actually do sunroofs now that I think of it.

Plus the only way of getting a non-hatchback accent is to get the base vehicle.  Ohhhhh, I see.  

Wtf, who uses CDs these days?

*edit* Bluetooth and USB ports are where it's at.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: August 24, 2011, 01:28:09 PM

Wtf, who uses CDs these days?
*rasies hand*

Don't judge me!

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #181 on: August 24, 2011, 03:33:06 PM

Bluetooth & USB require both devices. I'm the luddite without a phone, recall.  My most techhy device is my ipod.

You can take my physical media when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

You, on the other hand.  Well the publishers will take your digital whenever they damn well feel like it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: August 24, 2011, 04:10:41 PM

I ended up with a Hyundai Sonata a few months ago, and from what they told me, bluetooth/usb is standard on all their vehicles now.  It also came with an iPod specific cable so that it all runs through the car stereo.  Like the Elantra, the Limiteds come with all the stuff like a sunroof and cd changer.  I've been getting higher than advertised mileage on it as well.  You may be able to find a deal on the 2011s as they make room for the new model year which hits in a few months. 
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: August 25, 2011, 03:58:25 AM

Bluetooth & USB require both devices. I'm the luddite without a phone, recall.  My most techhy device is my ipod.

You can take my physical media when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

You, on the other hand.  Well the publishers will take your digital whenever they damn well feel like it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

You don't need a device for USB, you just need to buy a USB flash stick, load music on it, plug it in and forget about it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: August 25, 2011, 06:14:24 AM

Our Fit plays data CDs with MP3s or WMPs, don't most do this? We still use the physical media, but each disk is a band's entire catalog rather than 1 album. Most of the time I listen to stuff on the MP3 player--it has an input jack, not a USB which is actually more useful as I can play anything from Rhapsody to go.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #185 on: August 25, 2011, 06:37:39 AM

I like my 6 CD changer, I use a mix of regular CDs and mp3 CDs. For trips we use the iPod through an 1/8" jack. Would be nice to also have a USB port, or even iPod controls on the wheel. Got spoiler very quickly having CD controls on the wheel.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: August 25, 2011, 07:03:49 AM

Our Fit plays data CDs with MP3s or WMPs, don't most do this? We still use the physical media, but each disk is a band's entire catalog rather than 1 album. Most of the time I listen to stuff on the MP3 player--it has an input jack, not a USB which is actually more useful as I can play anything from Rhapsody to go.

Most support MP3/WMP cds, but I never found it holds enough.  I like to store gigs of music on a single device to keep having to swap out music as minimal as possible.  Putting it all on a USB stick and just keeping it plugged in (and interfacing it through the regular dashboard music controls) is a much better solution in my eyes than having multiple cds with mp3s on it, imho
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #187 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:40 AM

Multiple CDs.. ha.

No, no.  6 CDs. As in the pre-burned albums.  I don't need 500 hours of music in the car. 6 is more than enough time & variety to get me through anything but a roadtrip, at which time the speakers are hooked-in to the DVD player anyway.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: August 25, 2011, 09:59:06 AM

I still purchase 99% of my music on CD, I then immediately rip it to mp3 and file the CD away as a backup/proof of purchase.
yedped

Email
Reply #189 on: August 25, 2011, 10:53:43 AM

Yes I like all comment !!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:57 AM

Well, we all appreciate your like of all comment!!

I do the same as Salamak - buy my music on CD, rip it to the computer and then store the physical media away.  I've had several friends do the first two steps but then they sell their CDs off for extra cash or something, and all I can think of is "what if your digital copies go bye-bye?"

Granted though, I'm not a huge purchaser of music in general, at least not any more.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: August 28, 2011, 10:58:37 PM

If you're at all concerned with safety stay the fuck away from hybrids.  When you slam into something solid they don't stall nicely like gasoline or ethanol vehicles do, and that complicates extrication efforts.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: August 29, 2011, 12:09:46 AM

Just general info for anyone looking to buy a new car.

Just put a set of head gaskets on a 2006 Subaru Legacy. Appears they have still not fixed their head gasket design problems they've had for 15 years now. At least they sell nifty Subaru branded "coolant conditioner" (stop leak) now.

Just put an engine in a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. This one was customers fault entirely as she let it run low on oil. The variable valve train models  of engine are extremely sensitive to low oil but as I poked around the net I found that this particular engine is ridiculously so. People have reported problems letting it run even a quart low for any amount of time. Whee.

Info only. Don't take it to mean every one will fail, but especially with the Subaru, well over half will long before they should.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: August 29, 2011, 05:07:32 AM

Based on your technical expertise, what would you consider to be the more robust engine and drivetrain systems on the market?  My mechanic friends used to be really fond of saabs and volvos for their design durability, but that may have changed over the last decade. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: August 29, 2011, 02:19:41 PM

Based on your technical expertise, what would you consider to be the more robust engine and drivetrain systems on the market?  My mechanic friends used to be really fond of saabs and volvos for their design durability, but that may have changed over the last decade.  

If that did change, I think it was right about the time that Saabs and Volvos became Chevys and Fords, respectively.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:07 PM

My 2008 Fit does not do MP3 cd's nor does it have the input jack. It was only on the Sport model that year, don't know about now.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #196 on: August 30, 2011, 04:33:50 PM

I know for the Prius I had to go up to Extras Package Number Two or something to get the aux media input jack, it is probably the same with most cars these days.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: August 31, 2011, 12:37:51 PM

Based on your technical expertise, what would you consider to be the more robust engine and drivetrain systems on the market?  My mechanic friends used to be really fond of saabs and volvos for their design durability, but that may have changed over the last decade. 

Volvos are still excellent in my mind. Really I can't answer this without knowing what it would be you're looking for in what price range as I deal with all makes and models and my bitch list would be fucking huge. Kias and hyundais are still throwaway to me although the quality has come up a great deal

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: August 31, 2011, 12:45:42 PM

I want a Ford Flex.  (Not that I'm getting a car anytime soon).  It looks like it has all the room I would ever need, and (I can't believe I'm saying this about Ford) I like the way it looks.

Waiting to see what sort of engine things come up with it though.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #199 on: August 31, 2011, 01:02:10 PM

Loving my new Ford Fiesta so far. I'd been a GM guy for most of my life, but I just didn't like what they had to offer in that class.
She gets close to 31 MPG in my mostly city commute, is plenty roomy for a small guy like me, and the Sync system is cool.

Looking at new cars made me realize just how badly companies get to exagerate fuel economy. Just doing a quick check, my car has a listed MPG of 33 city / 44 highway. Looking at the "real world" reports puts it more like 28-29 city, which is far more in line with my results.

Either way, it's cut my gas consumption by about a tank a month, so I'm happy.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: August 31, 2011, 02:25:04 PM

Wee so today driving my 1.5 year old Ford Fusion to work my acceleration randomly stopped working while I was driving.  I pulled to the side and turned the car off, then back on and everything was fine.  Took it to the dealership and apparently my throttle base assembly was bad and needed to be replaced.

So in 1.5 years I've had my throttle base assembly replaced and stereo amplifier.  As this is my first new car I don't know if that's good or not.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: August 31, 2011, 07:23:02 PM

As this is my first new car I don't know if that's good or not.
New hardware fails sometimes.  Infant mortality and whatnot.  The more little sensors and solenoids that get put on cars, the more likely there will be a handful fail in the life of the car.  I wouldn't consider what you experienced "bad" or an indication of poor quality by any stretch, but I can see being annoyed.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: September 01, 2011, 12:32:20 PM

Loving my new Ford Fiesta so far. I'd been a GM guy for most of my life, but I just didn't like what they had to offer in that class.
She gets close to 31 MPG in my mostly city commute, is plenty roomy for a small guy like me, and the Sync system is cool.

Looking at new cars made me realize just how badly companies get to exagerate fuel economy. Just doing a quick check, my car has a listed MPG of 33 city / 44 highway. Looking at the "real world" reports puts it more like 28-29 city, which is far more in line with my results.

Either way, it's cut my gas consumption by about a tank a month, so I'm happy.

My 08 Pontiac G6 is rated at 17 city which is accurate and I get 30 highway with 2 kids, wife and luggage which is above the rated 26 so I happy. Plus I love this car.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: September 01, 2011, 04:54:27 PM

I just scored an '07 (technically an '06) Audi A6 3.2 quattro Prestige pkg (fully loaded plus dynamic airbag susp.) for about $21k, with 60k miles on it.  This car was over $60k new and 'car of the year' at the time. And it looks like it still is (you really cant tell the difference).  Evidently the prior owner was a careful, rich milf who only serviced the car right at the Audi dealer where I bought it.  She traded it in on a soccer mom audi suv.  If it werent for the fact it was an '06 it would've been fully certified and then probably $29k+.

I walked in there with no intention to really buy, but once I sat in this thing I had to have it (it's essentially got A8 amenities in an A6).  Took all afternoon to work the financing but the dealership really took care of me.  I am EXTREMELY happy; definitely recommend buying in Maryland at 'MileOne' if you can.  Thing even came with all-weather mats ($500+), 2 brand new wheels, and a full set of new tires.  (about $2000 in extras).  And it's mint.  Stealth-pimping for real in this thing, kinda sad... no one thinks the car is even mine.

Anyways, I'm an Audi guy (this is my 2nd A6), but also a tinkerer and fairly DIY so I can handle the service frustrations when they arise.  It's well worth the headaches for being in a car you dont mind having valeted downtown.   mpg?  pfft.  at best maybe 29 highway trimmed out and 18 city, but who gives an ish.  VERY difficult finding an A6 with these amenities, especially the A8 suspension. (I HATE the s-line series; overrated)

Were there better deals out there??  Heck yah.  I can find you a near mint A8 same model year in similar condition for around the same money.  BUT, those A8's are veritable tanks - more of an executive ride and not great for daily driving unless your business requires it.  Another caveat being the 4.2 v-8 is much more bang for the buck and takes a huge beating mileage-wise.  (dont be afraid of 100k+ miles)   The new A8 is a $90k car.  :/

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: September 01, 2011, 05:01:18 PM

I want a Ford Flex.  (Not that I'm getting a car anytime soon).  It looks like it has all the room I would ever need, and (I can't believe I'm saying this about Ford) I like the way it looks.

Waiting to see what sort of engine things come up with it though.
The Flex is my minivan compromise car. It's the only thing I've seen in that size that looks even vaguely cool. Now I just need to wait for them to show up in used car lots!
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: September 01, 2011, 05:07:17 PM

I just scored an '07 (technically an '06) Audi A6 3.2 quattro Prestige pkg (fully loaded plus dynamic airbag susp.) for about $21k, with 60k miles on it.  This car was over $60k new and 'car of the year' at the time. And it looks like it still is (you really cant tell the difference).  Evidently the prior owner was a careful, rich milf who only serviced the car right at the Audi dealer where I bought it.  She traded it in on a soccer mom audi suv.  If it werent for the fact it was an '06 it would've been fully certified and then probably $29k+.

I walked in there with no intention to really buy, but once I sat in this thing I had to have it (it's essentially got A8 amenities in an A6).  Took all afternoon to work the financing but the dealership really took care of me.  I am EXTREMELY happy; definitely recommend buying in Maryland at 'MileOne' if you can.  Thing even came with all-weather mats ($500+), 2 brand new wheels, and a full set of new tires.  (about $2000 in extras).  And it's mint.  Stealth-pimping for real in this thing, kinda sad... no one thinks the car is even mine.

Anyways, I'm an Audi guy (this is my 2nd A6), but also a tinkerer and fairly DIY so I can handle the service frustrations when they arise.  It's well worth the headaches for being in a car you dont mind having valeted downtown.   mpg?  pfft.  at best maybe 29 highway trimmed out and 18 city, but who gives an ish.  VERY difficult finding an A6 with these amenities, especially the A8 suspension. (I HATE the s-line series; overrated)

Were there better deals out there??  Heck yah.  I can find you a near mint A8 same model year in similar condition for around the same money.  BUT, those A8's are veritable tanks - more of an executive ride and not great for daily driving unless your business requires it.  Another caveat being the 4.2 v-8 is much more bang for the buck and takes a huge beating mileage-wise.  (dont be afraid of 100k+ miles)   The new A8 is a $90k car.  :/

Nice car - Dealer retail is about $25-26K so a pretty good deal to boot.  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:12:34 PM by MisterNoisy »

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:58 PM

I am disappointed in the selection of AWD/4X4 diesel vehicles available in the US - either huge SUV, huge truck, or a Merc? blah

- Viin
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: September 03, 2011, 02:14:01 PM

I am disappointed in the selection of AWD/4X4 diesel vehicles available in the US - either huge SUV, huge truck, or a Merc? blah

Toureg?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #208 on: September 03, 2011, 08:44:23 PM

We hate diesels for some reason...we hate manual transmissions too...

The last small diesel was the automatic transmission Jeep Liberty.

There has been rumors of small diesel engines coming out, but nothing has materialized.  In theory a diesel hybrid would be the best mpg vehicle (more energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline).
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: September 03, 2011, 09:07:15 PM

We hate diesels because up until recently they were loud, clackety, and smelled bad.  Not to mention not every gas station sold diesel.  They still have a pretty decent odor to them, but not as bad as it used to be.  The Euro diesel refining process (far better than ours) has a lot to do with that.  Besides, since the price of diesel has caught up with gas, there's no real reason to go diesel unless you're pulling heavy loads consistently.  You can argue a diesel engine's longevity is better and while that is true, the rest of the car will fall apart at the same rate as the gas engine twin.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: