Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341693 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1015 on: February 14, 2020, 11:07:04 AM

Starting research on cars again. The G37 is still great, just got a transmission flush and new tires (Firestone Indy 500) are going on today. However.

You guys always ask what my budget is, but since I'm just getting some general research in for a purchase 2-3 years from now let's just leave that open. Would I get a custom Benz? PROBABLY not but I'd like to ensure I know why.

Anyway, my top interest is reliability. I read that the Mazda MX-5 is very reliable and that seems great.

Second interest is driving experience. I figure the MX-5 would be good there (Miatas are supposedly incredible) but there are a lot of contenders on that field. Also the electrics are interesting here, but I need to drive one.

Third is number of features. The G37 is pretty basic, especially now that the radio doesn't work and the clock gave up. I have recently been trying to get an idea of what "a lot" of features means in 2020 and I read about the Tesla S a bit. That has to be on the top end of features, right? However it's apparently in the middle of reliability. Also Elon may be evil, not entirely sure.
Other contenders for features might only be the German cars (Cadillacs are off the list), but I'd like to get some group feedback on this.

It's early. Let's have some fun with it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1016 on: February 14, 2020, 12:36:03 PM

Are you married to the idea that it can only have 2 doors?

I had a Mazda 6 as a rental car for a day in SLC in December and it was a pretty nice ride.

I absolutely love the Audi A3 in terms of how it drives and Audi has the best instrument/infotainment setup I have ever seen.

Fit and finish on Tesla interiors are bleh. Sitting in a model S in the showroom I didn’t feel like I was in a luxury sedan at all. Felt more like sitting in a Kia with leather seats.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: February 14, 2020, 07:26:40 PM

The Model S does have some fit/finish issues, but the Model 3 is pretty nice and the Model X too. Can't wait to check out a Model Y.

Personally, I have a hard time thinking about a car I might buy in 2-3 years. Who knows what will happen on the market in that time.

That said, I am seriously eyeing an all-electric vehicle to replace my wife's Honda Pilot in about 2 years - but I'll make that decision with the info available at that time.

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1018 on: February 27, 2020, 07:46:21 AM

A short but enjoyable chain of events caused me to buy a 2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible on Monday. It will arrive on Friday.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1019 on: February 27, 2020, 08:01:05 AM

A short but enjoyable chain of events caused me to buy a 2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible on Monday. It will arrive on Friday.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1020 on: February 27, 2020, 08:20:28 AM

What happened to reliability?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1021 on: February 27, 2020, 08:34:41 AM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS srsly

I can't afford it, but the new mid-engine Vettes look schaweet. But Chevy.

I'm still happily fearing the day my 12 year old Toyota develops an actual problem. I did break the glove box latch a couple months back, so there's something!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1022 on: February 27, 2020, 11:13:12 AM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS srsly

I can't afford it, but the new mid-engine Vettes look schaweet. But Chevy.

I'm still happily fearing the day my 12 year old Toyota develops an actual problem. I did break the glove box latch a couple months back, so there's something!

Been eyeballing that C8 as my midlife crisis car. But general rule about new models, especially a complete platform overhaul is wait for gen2, never buy first year unless you are putting it in a barn for investing. So '21 or '22 and I might have saved enough to not cry about the car payment. It is either that or a used 911, but I'd rather wrestle with a Chvey under warranty than incur the wrath of german car maintenance and parts costs. But who knows...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: February 27, 2020, 11:54:58 AM

For my summer car, I'm more about a 34 Model A or something. Honestly, if parking it at work weren't an issue (the library is in a sketchy neighborhood), I'd probably have a nice old beater already. Maybe a nice 50s chevy truck. Something I could fix and find parts for easily.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1024 on: February 27, 2020, 12:58:19 PM

Twice I almost bought a new Mustang but ultimately went with something else.  The thing that stopped me was the horrible “would buy again” percentage.  It was in the 30s.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1025 on: February 27, 2020, 01:52:36 PM

The Boxster was and continues to be my dream "second car". I almost got one in the late-90s but I didn't fit inside it -- the seat didn't go back far enough for the length of my legs. It also had/has an awkward design where the front wheel wells intrude into the inside of the car so the clutch and brake pedals are shifted to the right from what you would normally expect, through I probably would've gotten used to that over time. I haven't checked recently to see if any of the newer models have more driver's side leg room in them.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1026 on: March 02, 2020, 09:10:31 AM

Things fly out the window really fast if the car has no top. Ohhhhh, I see.

There is a Ford dealer in my town, so there is that. Mustangs are less difficult to maintain than other cars, I believe. In any case, I still have the G37 if it gets incapacitated.

In short, I am accepting the risk.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1027 on: March 02, 2020, 11:09:18 AM

Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: March 05, 2020, 06:50:24 PM

F-Type Jaguar then if you just want a sexy, fast ragtop and don't care about questionable reliability.  If I was looking for a sharp looking reliable car with a fuckton of zippyness and didn't care about the convertable factor  I think I would go for the Lexus LC500.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: March 05, 2020, 07:43:29 PM

Wanna say my RAM 1500 that I got back in September has been my favorite vehicle ever.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1030 on: March 05, 2020, 09:13:51 PM

Wanna say my RAM 1500 that I got back in September has been my favorite vehicle ever.

Which variant did you get?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: March 06, 2020, 03:27:32 AM

I loved my Ram 1500 Crew cab with the 5.7.  It towed like a dream.  I ended up trading it in for a GMC 1500 Sierra Denali that have been my favorite vehicle ever.  Tows the rallycross car, rides amazing, great sound, etc.

It's really hard to go wrong with an "American" made truck these days.  They are all so good.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:13:43 AM by slog »

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: March 06, 2020, 06:30:21 AM

Which variant did you get?

Big Horn with the quad cab. Nothing fancy. Great console, best use of Android/Apple Car I've seen and I've rented a lot of vehicles in the last few years. Runs reeeeal smooth with some gitup to it. Was around $45k. What pisses me off, that I didn't realize it, is even with all of that, I don't have keyless entry. My fucking 2018 Sentra I got had it.

:/

I don't have a hitch on it for towing, but I've used it to haul heavy stuff. runs great.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1033 on: March 06, 2020, 12:23:14 PM

No hitch for towing? are you sure it's a truck?

- Viin
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: March 08, 2020, 09:22:33 AM

I don't need to tow anything.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: March 08, 2020, 03:00:59 PM

So you just like wasting gas in a full size? 2 reasons for full size: towing or plowing.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1036 on: March 08, 2020, 03:42:41 PM

I use it to bring heavy metal parts from one place to another.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1037 on: March 09, 2020, 06:31:47 AM

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: March 10, 2020, 05:47:27 PM

I'm happy that I got my midlife crisis car done and dead a few years ago.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1039 on: April 16, 2020, 05:57:55 AM

If you are in a position to buy a new car, now is the time.  Just call the dealership, say you are afraid of Covid-19 but want a car, and they will bring it to your house to let you test drive it.  Then you can hammer them on price.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: April 16, 2020, 06:28:38 AM

If you are in a position to buy a new car, now is the time.  Just call the dealership, say you are afraid of Covid-19 but want a car, and they will bring it to your house to let you test drive it.  Then you can hammer them on price.

You are everything that's wrong with western society.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: April 16, 2020, 06:45:31 AM

You are everything that's wrong with western society.

Not sure what you are getting at, but the world is changing rapidly for car dealers.  The old model of high pressure sales is gone with Covid-19 and now the consumer is in charge.  At my wife's dealerships, they are rebuilding the entire sales and service model and it's going to be a permanent change.

1) Service customers will no longer have to drive to the dealer for service.  The dealer will send out a guy in a loaner who will take your car and leave the loaner.  When they are done, you will pay by phone.
2) The Carvana sales model is going to be the basis for all future sales.  Your salesman will bring you car to you.  This will be the new normal.
3) With so many people working from home, there will be fewer cars bought and sold.  It's going to be a buyers market for a long time.

One thing they haven't figure out yet is how the dealer add-ons that are a major source of profit for them.  How do you convince buyers to purchase aftermarket warranties when the buyers don't since with the finance guy?

Yes things are terrible at the moment in the world, but it's going to get better. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1042 on: April 16, 2020, 11:28:30 AM

oh my god am I about to take slog's side

There is a pretty long list of 'people/industries who are everything that is wrong with western society', and the car dealership mafia is on that list. Fuck those scam artists, if people use the crisis to turn the screws on them, it's just a rare chance for turnabout. Which is fair play in western society.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1043 on: April 17, 2020, 05:36:15 PM

At least here in NJ, they still insist that it's illegal to sell cars on a Sunday (for reasons?).

Fuck them.

Also plenty of online services are buying and selling cars and dropping that shit off to you. Or at least saying here is a list of cars, here are their prices, no haggling. And the prices are decent.

I hate buying cars. I've been doing it ever 3 years for 20 years nearly (for work).

When I bought my truck, I actually had a guy that just got paid based on the number of cars he sold, and didn't give a shit about profits. It was the most relaxing experience ever.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1044 on: April 23, 2020, 03:58:30 PM

There is a Ford dealer in my town, so there is that. Mustangs are less difficult to maintain than other cars, I believe. In any case, I still have the G37 if it gets incapacitated.

In short, I am accepting the risk.

How's that Mustang treating you?  I was looking at stripper 6MT cars with the Performance Pack when I bought my VN.  Having driven them back to back, the choice was easy tho.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1045 on: June 15, 2020, 11:48:14 AM

Does anyone have input on current midrange small SUVs? We were thinking Forester but kinda like CRV too. Haven’t bought a new car in (checks math) a decade and a half.

Current car is still good to go for day to day, but starting to get worried about vacation trips. Plus, stick shift in Seattle has finally worn me down after ten years.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1046 on: June 15, 2020, 11:59:18 AM

I test drove a few small SUVs both as test drives and rentals over the last year.

The VW Tiguan is probably one of the best in terms of ride/comforts and they are actually pretty affordable compared to others.

The Hyundai Tucson is decent as well, just not quite as nice.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1047 on: June 15, 2020, 12:49:33 PM

My Parents have had a CRV of some model or other for the last 10+ years, and seem to really like it.  It has also survived them taking it from Southern Ontario to Orlando Florida twice a year as well, so there is that.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: June 15, 2020, 01:20:47 PM

Tiguan or Crosstrek would be the first two I'd look at if the FJ died today (but I'd probably end up buying a southern FJ with low miles instead of a new SUV that isn't an FJ). I didn't drive the Tiguan but I was checking it out while the old lady was doing paperwork at the dealership when she got her Golf. I drove almost everything else in the small SUV category and the only one I liked was the Crosstrek (and she's kicking herself for not buying one).

The Mazdas drove nice, I think I liked the Mazda 3 best, but the seating was super uncomfortable.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1049 on: June 15, 2020, 01:50:18 PM

My wife currently has a 2009 CRV that we bought new that she beats the hell out of (urban errand-running version anyways) that has had zero problems beyond a factory issue with the door locks that they fixed as part of a recall.

For my taste it is under-powered but I think the engine has been upgraded since then.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: