Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341575 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1085 on: September 25, 2020, 01:09:42 AM

Picking up my VW ID.3 today. There's plenty of reviews etc on the First Edition available now and VW seems to have checked all the right boxes with software being the most problematic - but they promised a major update for early 2021 there.

As the ID.3 won't be available in the US, VW revealed the first MEB car that will - the ID.4 which of course is going to be an SUV. Check your favorite car and/or tech news outlet for info on that. It's a straight up competitor to the Model Y and will eventually (from late 2021) also be built at VWs Chattanooga, TN plant.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1086 on: October 27, 2020, 12:59:19 PM

How frequently do new computerized cars update through wifi? My mom just got some new Ford mini-SUV thing and the sales person told her to make sure it's connected to wifi all the time. Well, having her spend $1000 to run some cat5 and a WAP to the garage sounds silly. I'm hoping she can park it next to the house once a week for a few minutes to grab updates.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1087 on: October 27, 2020, 01:55:57 PM

Wifi? Interesting... I would hazard a guess that most car companies push updates rarely and only if absolutely necessary. I also would say that if the update is necessary, the company should send notification to the owner or just push them when the car is in for service.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1088 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:29 PM

It's far more likely they're pulling data from the car, such as where you've gone, how far you drive, your schedule, etc.

Basically pulling down personal data to sell to marketers, I would suspect.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: October 27, 2020, 03:34:52 PM

It's far more likely they're pulling data from the car, such as where you've gone, how far you drive, your schedule, etc.

Basically pulling down personal data to sell to marketers, I would suspect.

Probably this. I begrudgingly opted into my insurance company's tracker to see if it would reduce my rates given the fact we don't actually drive. I fully expect them to be monitoring everything even though it states it only is logging miles and use.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: October 28, 2020, 02:48:35 AM

How frequently do new computerized cars update through wifi? My mom just got some new Ford mini-SUV thing and the sales person told her to make sure it's connected to wifi all the time. Well, having her spend $1000 to run some cat5 and a WAP to the garage sounds silly. I'm hoping she can park it next to the house once a week for a few minutes to grab updates.

It's probably just Ford's Sync 3.  It can update it's map and whatnot over wifi.  Most people just use Apple's Car Play or Android Auto so it doesn't really matter.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: November 05, 2020, 01:56:38 AM

Increasing outside access to car systems is kind of a terrifying thing for me because you can be near certain that car manufacturing engineers aren't spending too much time and money on making sure the system is secure.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: November 05, 2020, 06:48:04 AM

Increasing outside access to car systems is kind of a terrifying thing for me because you can be near certain that car manufacturing engineers aren't spending too much time and money on making sure the system is secure.

If it makes you feel any better, they actually spend a ton of money and time on this and it's really holding back innovation in the industry.  They are terrified of what a hack can do to their brand.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1093 on: January 15, 2021, 02:46:20 PM

I've never been a motorcycle guy, but this thing looks badass. https://sondorsx.com/pages/metacycle

For $5k too?
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: January 15, 2021, 02:53:52 PM

I've never been a motorcycle guy, but this thing looks badass. https://sondorsx.com/pages/metacycle

For $5k too?

Doesn't work for me on looks... I will say in terms of motorcycles, I really like Keanu's ARCH designs.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1095 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:17 PM

Looks like those goofy mini-Ducatis, not really a big fan of the look.

They put the best tires on them though.

Reminds me I need to sell my Ninja.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1096 on: January 16, 2021, 08:02:14 AM

The retired Pastor who lives next door to me has 13 roads bikes in his garage including an Indian Scout, a Harley drag bike, a couple BSAs and some other fun stuff. I'm more of a car guy, but it's fun to check out all his stuff.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1097 on: January 30, 2021, 12:22:33 AM

I so want this used E-class I just found but I just can't justify spending that much on a damn car.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: January 30, 2021, 08:20:51 AM

I so want this used E-class I just found but I just can't justify spending that much on maintenance on a damn car.

You forgot a bit so I helped.  why so serious?

Now that I am in the mountains, I have been seriously eyeballing the mid-size truck markets. Don't need one, and my Buick is still under 50k miles and runs great, but there is something in the air out here.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1099 on: January 30, 2021, 09:27:02 AM

It's called "lack of oxygen."  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: January 30, 2021, 10:04:10 AM

I so want this used E-class I just found but I just can't justify spending that much on maintenance on a damn car.

You forgot a bit so I helped.  why so serious?

Now that I am in the mountains, I have been seriously eyeballing the mid-size truck markets. Don't need one, and my Buick is still under 50k miles and runs great, but there is something in the air out here.

There is very little advantage for owning a mid size vs a full size. The main one being parking in the city.  My GMC 1500 gets 19 MPG, can tow 10,000 pounds and rides like a dream.  I do have to back in to park at the grocery store, but it's not the end of the world.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1101 on: February 23, 2021, 11:17:11 PM

I have finally crossed the mental hurdle that I need a new car (hate buying cars) as mine is just about ready to give out.  Wrestling between getting a used, more luxury segment car or getting a new standard family sedan (Accord/Sonata/K5).  I drive cars for 10 years at least so I will amortize out the cost of a new one, but that segment, while nice, always feels flinty to me since I've been driving a 4000 pound v-8 behemoth for a decade.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1102 on: February 24, 2021, 03:36:06 AM

I have finally crossed the mental hurdle that I need a new car (hate buying cars) as mine is just about ready to give out.  Wrestling between getting a used, more luxury segment car or getting a new standard family sedan (Accord/Sonata/K5).  I drive cars for 10 years at least so I will amortize out the cost of a new one, but that segment, while nice, always feels flinty to me since I've been driving a 4000 pound v-8 behemoth for a decade.

Buying a 2 or 3 year old used model is generally the best bet for value if you plan to keep it for 10 years as the biggest depreciation hit has already gone by.  The biggest challange for many people is that they are unable to finance a car like that because their credit is bad.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1103 on: February 24, 2021, 05:46:56 AM

I always assume people have beaten the shit out of short-term ownership/lease cars (source: other drivers on the road). I'd rather trade a few grand in depreciation and have a vehicle that has been driven sanely and had all the scheduled maintenance done.

Seriously, watching people plow through salty slush should be enough to deter most Northerners from used cars if they can manage it. Still sucks, because it's a colossal waste of money.

Anyway, the FJ is now 12 (should hit 60k miles this year...) and I'm kicking myself for not undercoating it. I've heard it's ok to have it applied on a slightly rusty vehicle and wondered if anyone has had that done and would welcome experiences. The place I'd likely have it done is Zeibart.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: February 24, 2021, 07:42:28 AM

I always assume people have beaten the shit out of short-term ownership/lease cars (source: other drivers on the road). I'd rather trade a few grand in depreciation and have a vehicle that has been driven sanely and had all the scheduled maintenance done.

Seriously, watching people plow through salty slush should be enough to deter most Northerners from used cars if they can manage it. Still sucks, because it's a colossal waste of money.

Anyway, the FJ is now 12 (should hit 60k miles this year...) and I'm kicking myself for not undercoating it. I've heard it's ok to have it applied on a slightly rusty vehicle and wondered if anyone has had that done and would welcome experiences. The place I'd likely have it done is Zeibart.

Short-term owners really depend in terms of abuse. We got our 2015 Buick in 2017 with 22k miles and aside from some surface imperfections and one acid stain on the hood from being in a parking garage, the car has been solid. Granted, it was certified preowned and I went over the car pretty well, but still - car was in great shape. But buy beware always rings true when buying preowned. That is why I am pretty suspicious about online places like carvana - I want to look over the car before I commit anything to it. Ordering a used car and having it delivered just seems like you are taking a chance.

as for coating/sealing a car after it is started rusting. Not sure what things are now-a-days, but once the rust started, it was too late. I guess with a great patch job and then sealing it would be possible? *shrug

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1105 on: February 24, 2021, 10:06:03 AM

A friend of mine does Krown on her car. She swears by it. She lives in Wisconsin and drives an F-body in the winter with no real issues. I would also suggest if you aren't averse to some manual labor, you could POR-15 the underneath to cover the rust. It sticks to it quite well once you let it cure.

Ziebart and others are also solutions, but they tend to not like to have rusty metal to start with.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1106 on: February 24, 2021, 12:09:54 PM

Thanks! Looked into Krown and that looks waaay better.

If I was going to DIY it was going to be clean metal -> rustoleum rust reformer -> Cosmoline RP342

I've heard a few people gush about Zeibart but so many more negative stories that I was actually considering doing it myself. Maybe if I had a lift and second vehicle  why so serious?

But there's a Krown place about an hour away!
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: February 25, 2021, 02:20:23 AM

Look into fluid film. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: February 25, 2021, 07:22:22 AM

Look into fluid film. 
Not too keen on coating the underbody with dirt.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1109 on: February 25, 2021, 07:59:45 AM

Look into fluid film. 
Not too keen on coating the underbody with dirt.

Dirt?  I don't understand.

Anyways, The problem with undercoating is that it's too late once the rust has started and all you do it give the rust a nice place to hide while it eats away at your car.  That can often make the problem worse.

https://www.fluid-film.com/

All this being said, cars made in the last 10 years or so are a lot more rust resistant.  Here is the Northeast, it used to be that most people just accepted that the life expectancy of a car is 10 years and after that it's a rust bucket on borrowed time.  Now that time is 15+ years. 

Terracotta Army

Reply #1110 on: February 25, 2021, 09:31:26 AM

Only reason I got rid of my RSX was the subfloor was rusting out and there was no saving it. Every inspection was saddled with repairing the holes that were starting that it became unsustainable. Just another reason living in the rust belt blew ass.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1111 on: February 25, 2021, 07:17:08 PM

My FJ is a 2008 with 240k miles, it's a race between everything wearing out and rust from 10 Chicago winters. Driving forest service 'roads' in Colorado didn't help.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: February 26, 2021, 07:12:35 AM

My FJ is a 2008 with 240k miles, it's a race between everything wearing out and rust from 10 Chicago winters. Driving forest service 'roads' in Colorado didn't help.
I just did a decent overhaul of the basics, brakes/calipers/fiddly bits. The Krown treatment may or may not be great but it sounds like less downsides than the others and the cost is reasonable (comparatively speaking).

My neighbor just had a new Bronco loaner. Didn't have a chance to drive it, but it looks decent. Problem is, the FJ is amazing. Just looking at all the goddamned carpet in the Bronco...why the fuck are we still putting CARPET IN CARS, ffs. Why not put in beaded fringe and a wizard mural? After 12 years without carpet, it's boggling to see it.

The only 'better' stuff was the tech, but at the length I own vehicles, that's a negative for me (I'd prefer no screens at all, thanks). And my CD changer is just fine. If I need GPS, I have a phone. Which I can plug into my actual outlet. Gah.

Just bring back the FJ already! Like maybe bring it back every 12-15 years or so for owners to refresh, target salt regions.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1113 on: February 26, 2021, 07:29:57 AM

Have to agree... always loved the form and function of the FJ. My wife loves the versatility of the Honda Element. There really hasn't been anything close to filling both of those voids. Problem has always been that thye are both rather niche in the buying crowd. Rugged SUVs are the anomaly rather than the goal - which is sad. New Bronco and Bronco Lite look good, but I fear they are grocery getters more so than true rugged off roaders. I'm sure there are bad ass offroad packages to order on them, but if the price skyrockets with that addition, then what's the point? 

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1114 on: February 26, 2021, 11:55:01 AM

I just did a decent overhaul of the basics, brakes/calipers/fiddly bits. The Krown treatment may or may not be great but it sounds like less downsides than the others and the cost is reasonable (comparatively speaking).

My neighbor just had a new Bronco loaner. Didn't have a chance to drive it, but it looks decent. Problem is, the FJ is amazing. Just looking at all the goddamned carpet in the Bronco...why the fuck are we still putting CARPET IN CARS, ffs. Why not put in beaded fringe and a wizard mural? After 12 years without carpet, it's boggling to see it.

The only 'better' stuff was the tech, but at the length I own vehicles, that's a negative for me (I'd prefer no screens at all, thanks). And my CD changer is just fine. If I need GPS, I have a phone. Which I can plug into my actual outlet. Gah.

Just bring back the FJ already! Like maybe bring it back every 12-15 years or so for owners to refresh, target salt regions.

A quick google shows that they only sold 14,000 a year in the last few years before they cancelled it.  Just not enough people were interested I guess...

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1115 on: February 26, 2021, 03:52:15 PM

A large part of that was just displayed here: rattran and I are both driving our original 08s.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1116 on: February 27, 2021, 05:35:26 AM

Yeah, they're Tonka Toyota Tough. All the issues I've had have been just wear&tear, and minor rust ones. Need to replace the front calipers and o2 sensors, rust is not kind to those. One of my old roommates has a '10 he bought after riding in mine. He was changing his Explorer every 5 years for a couple decades before that.

I only know one person who got the new Bronco, and she returned it. Loved the look, hated the driving.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1117 on: February 27, 2021, 05:42:03 AM

Are you guys driving these off road?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1118 on: February 27, 2021, 07:27:51 AM

Not in the sense of 'off-roading' or rock-climbing or whatever. I like to have the option to, it comes in handy every now and again.

Not as handy as being able just kerpwn the snow, though. That's where I do my fun driving with it, once it gets to about a foot deep the FJ is in its natural element (and mine is mostly stock with streets on it, can't imagine how beastly they get modded up for it).
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: February 27, 2021, 07:44:54 AM

Not in the sense of 'off-roading' or rock-climbing or whatever. I like to have the option to, it comes in handy every now and again.

Not as handy as being able just kerpwn the snow, though. That's where I do my fun driving with it, once it gets to about a foot deep the FJ is in its natural element (and mine is mostly stock with streets on it, can't imagine how beastly they get modded up for it).

I do club racing with the SCCA Rallycross chapter here in New England.  We do 4 or 5 winter (snow) events every year and (after driving skill) it's all about the quality of your snow tires.  Most of us run Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9s with studs and Blizzaks for venues that don't allow studded tired.  Never seen an FJ at an event, but we get all kinds of vehicles that show up.  Subaru dominates the field because of how much better their AWD system is. 

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: