Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:57:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341551 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #945 on: December 06, 2018, 01:01:25 PM

Firm chance of purchasing a 2019 Outback next year.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #946 on: December 06, 2018, 01:17:21 PM

Tax the shit out of gas, please. 
Working well for France!
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: December 06, 2018, 10:06:30 PM

Firm chance of purchasing a 2019 Outback next year.

Got a customer with the 2018. Seems pretty nice, firmer ride than I like tho. Damn thing tried to stop as I was pulling it up on the hoist. Guess their warning system saw the ramps or some such as a threat. Fucking silly.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: December 07, 2018, 05:34:55 AM

Has Subaru fixed their head gasket problems (for real) yet?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: December 07, 2018, 08:08:23 AM

I'm a curmudgeon who dislikes assistive devices on vehicles. I actually like driving my vehicle

Far too many people regard driving as a chore.  I can only hope that those people either get bus passes or autonomous cars sooner rather than later because I'm fucking dead ass tired of some dipshit sitting like a dingus at a green light for more than 5s because they're too busy texting or sitting in the left lane next to a semi with 30 people bumper to bumper behind them on the goddamned interstate.

Compared to that bullshit, i don't give a fuck about headlights.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:09 PM

No, they have not. It's utter bullshit, and if they were a domestic car company, people would be shitting all over them for it. And rightly so. Going on 20 years with this bullshit and they casually ignore it. It's garbage.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: December 07, 2018, 08:27:49 PM

It's garbage.
Good to know. I know a lot of people have asked me if Subaru is an ok car and I tell them they’re fine new if you can stand the cost and fine used if you get them cheap enough or are budgeted for the head gasket job + oil consumption issues after 100k. My parents 1985 model didn’t have this issue and I feel it’s stupid they haven’t fixed it yet.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: December 08, 2018, 03:43:25 PM

So I went test driving a few cars today (looking for something with AWD and a bit more ground clearance than my GTI for winter driving).

Test drove a plug-in Hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander that I really liked. Thinking of getting it on a lease (as it will be my second car).

Also test drove a 2015 Volvo XC60 that only had 15,500 miles on it and was $29k. It was REALLY NICE, but would have to buy it outright and it gets kinda poo gas mileage compared to the above equivalent which was almost as comfy of a ride.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #953 on: December 10, 2018, 01:23:02 PM

budgeted for the head gasket job + oil consumption issues after 100k.

100k is so far in the future.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: December 10, 2018, 01:57:57 PM

18 and a half years, for my mileage averages  awesome, for real
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: December 10, 2018, 04:10:33 PM

So I test drove a new VW Tiguan 4motion today.

I liked it. It rides nice and has very little road noise. The engine is pretty loud when accelerating through the low gears but then gets super quiet afterwards would have been my only complaint.

Going to test drive some Audis on Saturday (closest dealership is an hour away).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: December 10, 2018, 04:11:44 PM

18 and a half years, for my mileage averages  awesome, for real

Or 2 years for one my customers with an Impreza. He drives for Uber tho, so I'm sure that's affecting it. Still. 50k a year. Holy fuck. My ass would be sore.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #957 on: December 10, 2018, 07:09:41 PM

I hit 100k after 5 years, after 11 I'm just over 200K miles.

My seat is wearing out.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: December 17, 2018, 08:17:28 AM

It's still the weak point of the engine, but they switched from a graphite covered gasket to a Multi layerd Steel (MLS) gasket and now it's much less of a problem than it used to be. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: December 17, 2018, 09:30:25 AM

I hit 100k after 5 years, after 11 I'm just over 200K miles.

My seat is wearing out.
I'm getting a worn spot that is just starting to wear through, where a spring near the airbag on the driver's seat is too close to the surface. Considering buying some seat covers. These guys seem to make decent covers for the FJ, based on a few things I've seen online: https://www.clazzio.com/leather-type.php

Though I'm more inclined to get these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JOP020/
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #960 on: December 26, 2018, 07:35:35 AM

The Outback will actually be for the boy since he turns 15 next month (as does F13!), as well as being our 4-wheel-drive vehicle.  It will be the 4th vehicle in the yard, so I figure it will take a while to hit 100k miles.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: December 26, 2018, 02:47:21 PM

15. That's amazing. F13 has outlasted Lum's and all the Lum spinoffs put together.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #962 on: December 29, 2018, 07:13:14 AM

Out of curiosity, what is the state of the diaspora right now?  Here and brokenforum are all that I know of.  Anything else out there?  Any drama/news lately on former members?  I don’t follow anything other than what happens across this forum.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #963 on: December 31, 2018, 09:19:21 AM

The few I know about have mostly become intolerable.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #964 on: March 08, 2019, 06:19:49 AM

After some reality checks, I had a 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited delivered yesterday. I always suspected that I was actually a Subaru driver, and it is confirmed.

Additionally, I'm only going to buy cars from Carvana from now on.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: March 08, 2019, 05:49:57 PM

Is Carvana a fancier CarMax?

- Viin
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #966 on: March 08, 2019, 06:03:23 PM

Is Carvana a fancier CarMax?
CarMax with Tesla's sales model (online only, they deliver the car to you on a truck). There's another of those being advertised heavily (Vroom?). Basically lets you buy cars at Blue Book value, with VC's eating all the overhead.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #967 on: March 11, 2019, 12:15:33 PM

Definitely fancier. I don't know how they work their finances but they had the best prices across my search. However, the support is top-notch, everyone is friendly, car was delivered to my house, contract done online, and they are acquiring my tag for me. Will they be around in five years? No idea, don't care.

I was looking through the inventory for an Outback with pre-collision braking and it wasn't obvious which ones if any had it. I opened a support chat and the person on the other end figured out how I could tell by looking at the pictures. Very helpful.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #968 on: March 12, 2019, 11:25:30 AM

Wife is in the market this year. She's looking for a small SUV, and the options are:

Subaru Forester
Mazda CX5
Honda CRV
Hyundai Tucson

Thoughts on any of those?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: March 12, 2019, 02:47:59 PM

The Mazda CX5 is pretty terrible in comparison to anything else I tried. Lots of road noise, very rough ride, rides waaaay higher than most other small SUVs.

I have had a Tucson as a rental car and they are pretty decent.

Have not driven the Honda or the Forester.

Have you looked at the VW Tiguan? They have the best dash/infotainment layout of any small SUV I have been in. Nice smooth ride, very little road noise. Only complaint was that the engine is a little loud accelerating in low gear.

Also, if you are looking for an EV tax credit the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (plug in Hybrid) is really pretty nice and you get like a $5800 credit for it I think. I was very close to buying one before Christmas but I decided I didn't need a second car.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #970 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:58 PM

My wife is on her second CR-V and will replace it with a 3rd most likely. I don't particularly like the way it drives or how you feel sitting in it when you drive (feels like a bus driver to me), but she loves it and it has been reliable (current one is a 2009 and only had 1 major repair as the starter motor went out a couple weeks ago).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: March 12, 2019, 07:17:19 PM

You should buy her a white XC40 so you can have matching cars :P

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: March 12, 2019, 07:42:36 PM

Wife is in the market this year. She's looking for a small SUV, and the options are:

Subaru Forester
Mazda CX5
Honda CRV
Hyundai Tucson

Thoughts on any of those?

A friend of mine was shopping the same segment a couple of years ago and ultimately picked the Tucson.  It looks like they've phased out the 1.6T she got in her 'Ultimate' trim as the uplevel engine and are offering a 2.4 NA engine instead now, though.

That said, it's comfortable and well-made.  Excellent ride, pretty numb steering, plenty of space inside for the footprint and lots of tech for the category if that's your bag.  The little turbo motor in hers pulls reasonably well, but I'd imagine that the 181hp 2.4 will be just fine, if a bit slower.  I'd skip the Sport trim just because 19" wheels means more expensive tire replacements and a worse ride.  Beyond that, go SEL if you want cloth and the bigger engine, Limited if you want leather and/or the surround view cameras and Ultimate if you want all that and pedestrian detection and ventilated seats.

If you want the 'safest bets' in the segment, it's gonna be a toss-up between the CR-V and RAV4 though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:44:16 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: March 13, 2019, 07:34:02 AM

My Santa Fe was great for almost 15 years, so I'm a fan of Hyundais.  Only reason I didn't replace it with a Tuscon is because I was looking for the best gas mileage I could find and that meant a hybrid, so ended up going with the RAV4.  Been very, very pleased so far and with talk that gas is going to be back up around 43/gal this summer, extra happy to get that average 35 mpg.  I have a 2018 though and they redesigned the dash for 2019 to have that stupid, stupid sticking up like a tablet nav area, which is stupid and looks stupid, IMO.  YMMV.

My only complaint is with how the back seats fold down it doesn't create a flat surface with the rest of the cargo area, but that's not been a serious issue so far.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: March 13, 2019, 09:25:02 AM

We actually liked the CX 3 better than the CX 5, and we tested the heck out of them (the dealer was swamped and was just giving us any keys we asked for, so we had unchaperoned tests!). The seating position was a bit odd in the Mazdas, as well.

We looked at a CRV, but it was too big for her taste, so the Mazdas might be on the small side, going by your list.

If the local Subaru dealer hadn't been shady, we'd probably have gotten a Crosstrek because it was the one we both enjoyed equally.

She ended up getting the Golf, and it's shit in the snow. I tried to get her to buy winter tires, but she's too angry that a brand new car needs new tires immediately...so she just drives like shit in the snow  Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #975 on: March 13, 2019, 12:24:51 PM

I think the main things we're looking for are:

- Cargo space
- Performance - ability to zip around idiots in Atlanta is a big deal
- Gas Mileage

The rest is just features we can get on anything.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: March 13, 2019, 03:08:31 PM

- Cargo space
- Gas Mileage

I wouldn't get too hung up on Gas mileage.  When you do out the math out it's not that much of a savings.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: March 13, 2019, 03:10:27 PM

- Cargo space
- Gas Mileage

Seriously look at the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV if those are your criteria. Thing has four electric motors driving the wheels so it has quite a bit of pickup. It is a series hybrid as well, so the engine is there to charge the batteries, not take over driving when you get over 30 mph or whatever the prius does.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #978 on: March 13, 2019, 03:31:08 PM

Series hybrid is just plain a better design approach. All the advantages of electric drive (fewer moving parts, flat power curve, regenerative braking), but with the full range capacity of a gas vehicle. Only complaint I have ever heard about them is that when towing on long hills, you can bottom out the batteries.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: March 13, 2019, 03:33:12 PM

Series hybrid is just plain a better design approach. All the advantages of electric drive (fewer moving parts, flat power curve, regenerative braking), but with the full range capacity of a gas vehicle. Only complaint I have ever heard about them is that when towing on long hills, you can bottom out the batteries.

--Dave

I guess the Mitsubishi also has a clutch assembly where the engine can help power the wheels for things like uphill climbs but that in most driving cases it doesn't ever do anything but charge the batteries.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: