Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341545 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #595 on: May 15, 2017, 11:20:00 AM

I haven't used a car buying service but it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Used a car buyer to buy my new car. Told dealer that showed me cars that I used a car buyer. Dealer sends really mean text messages. Now I feel bad.  undecided I don't like people being mad at me.

Still love my car. I guess I'll just I'll have to endure dirty looks from afar when I take my car in for service.

I mean, I get the anger. It's just my money and my time that I value more at this point. I guess I'm an asshole, but all the guy really did was sit in a car while I drove it.

Ah, it was Rasix. I knew it was a green name and you all look the same.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:16 AM

Talked to my mechanic, and they said since Hondas loose so little value in the first 3 years, I might do better to just buy new.  They also recommended a Honda Fit instead of a used Civic.  Less emasculating than a mini-van, I guess.  They only seem to come in vibrant primary colors, tho ...

And, yeah, Merusk, a car buyer is definitely right up my alley.  Would love to hear about some good ones from anyone who cares to share the experience.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #597 on: May 15, 2017, 12:33:24 PM

Talked to my mechanic, and they said since Hondas loose so little value in the first 3 years, I might do better to just buy new.  They also recommended a Honda Fit instead of a used Civic.  Less emasculating than a mini-van, I guess.  They only seem to come in vibrant primary colors, tho ...

And, yeah, Merusk, a car buyer is definitely right up my alley.  Would love to hear about some good ones from anyone who cares to share the experience.

Every single one of my girlfriend's friends has a fit. They are a sub-civic. Actually, the best I can come up with it they took a civic and decided to try and make an element out of it. It has a ton of room inside when you flip and fold everything around. But outside of that? No thanks. I'm leaning towards a Buick Regal or a Verano if I can afford it. I need something more comfortable now...especially driving to the parent's (hers and mine).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: May 15, 2017, 12:54:50 PM

I really don't care if it's a "girl-car"  Up until last week I was driving a '96 BMW 318ti -- it was about as macho as a Mini Cooper.  Also, my daughter is getting her license in a few more months, so I wouldn't have to listen to the pissing and moaning about a "boring dad-car."  Having a ton of cargo space is good; I'm done with not being able to bring stuff home from Lowe's.  And if it gets good enough gas mileage for daily use, AND will last 10 years/200,000 miles ... I'm sold

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: May 15, 2017, 12:59:41 PM

I really don't care if it's a "girl-car"  Up until last week I was driving a '96 BMW 318ti -- it was about as macho as a Mini Cooper.  Also, my daughter is getting her license in a few more months, so I wouldn't have to listen to the pissing and moaning about a "boring dad-car."  Having a ton of cargo space is good; I'm done with not being able to bring stuff home from Lowe's.  And if it gets good enough gas mileage for daily use, AND will last 10 years/200,000 miles ... I'm sold

Oh it's not just her female friends. I mean literally almost all her friends here have a Fit - probably 60/40 girls to guys. It is damn weird. Hauling stuff is ok, but forget anything long (+5ft). And for the record, I am not put off by them at all... just not my style. They are a honda so the powertrain will run forever and a day if taken care of with regular maintenance - everything else though for me screams economy car.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: May 15, 2017, 01:30:39 PM

Ive been seriously looking at the new Civic Hatchbacks. Great reviews all around. Tons of safety features, super practical with a ton of cargo space and great gas mileage to boot. (also I really love the new look, but some people hate them) 

This being said I would be financing a car so getting a new car I can get like 1.99% whereas buying used would be significantly higher rate, With this in mind I figure I mas as well go new.

If you are just looking for a good sedan, reliable, good on gas etc and you can afford to buy it straight out, I'd seriously consider a 4-5 year old corolla or possibly even an Hyundai Elantra. With a Corolla you know it will last you for ever and never give you any grief. You will also be able to get something for it when you decide to sell it or trade it in some time down the road. The Hyundai will also last you (they have been awesome value for the last ~5 years or so) but due to the old Hyundai rep you may not be able to resell for much down the road. 

Professional Forum Lurker.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #601 on: May 15, 2017, 01:32:43 PM

Huh.. I was confused at you saying "ton of cargo space" but looking at a subcompact. Just did some research on the Fit and that "magic" seat is nice! 52.7 cu ft when everything's folded is amazing for a car that size. The distance between the wheel wells is still only 40" though, so no sheets of material.

Have you considered a crossover like the Subaru Crosstrek, Mazda CX-3 or Honda HR-V?  They're all little more expensive than the fit (19-25k vs 15-21 for the fit) but definitely larger base cargo. (16.6cu ft for the fit, 18 Mazda, 32 Honda, 23 Subaru)

Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: May 15, 2017, 03:17:13 PM

Oh it's not just her female friends. I mean literally almost all her friends here have a Fit - probably 60/40 girls to guys. It is damn weird. Hauling stuff is ok, but forget anything long (+5ft). And for the record, I am not put off by them at all... just not my style. They are a honda so the powertrain will run forever and a day if taken care of with regular maintenance - everything else though for me screams economy car.

8' 2x4's fit just fine (we hauled 6 8' 2x6's in one) if you can fold the front seat down and rest one end on the passenger-side dash. The rear seats fold down separately, so we could have 2 adults in the car (driver and cargo herder). Not wide enough for sheets of plywood/drywall, though.

Great for Ikea and Costco runs. There's so much cargo room that you can easily exceed the weight limits before you get close to filling up the space if you're hauling gardening or yard supplies.

The driver's seat/steering column may not be very adjustable in some models, so be wary of that unless you're completely average in your height and arm/torso/leg ratios.

The Fit is definitely not a luxury car, but it's very competitively priced, very fuel efficient, and has tons of cargo space.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: May 15, 2017, 03:40:34 PM

Figure out what kind of car you want and then call a car broker. They will find you the best car for the best price with the options you want. Best car buying experience, unless you are buying a Porche (and even then .. ).

- Viin
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #604 on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:49 PM

I used AAAs car buying service and it was great. Could I maybe have gotten a better deal if I walked into the car dealership with their offer? Perhaps. Then they would have found a way to extract the same amount or greater through haggling (aka f'ing you over with addons "hey, it's already there"). When my car arrived, it was sub 30 minutes of paperwork, and I was driving away. I got exactly what I wanted (options, color, etc) with the minimum amount of hassle.

I did get a mean text from the guy I did the test drives with. So, that was interesting. I just didn't want to deal with dealers. It's godamned torture. I don't fare well in those types of negotiations.

-Rasix
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: May 15, 2017, 04:51:42 PM

Great for Ikea and Costco runs. There's so much cargo room that you can easily exceed the weight limits before you get close to filling up the space if you're hauling gardening or yard supplies.

The Fit is definitely not a luxury car, but it's very competitively priced, very fuel efficient, and has tons of cargo space.

That sounds like exactly what I need right now.  Money is a touch tight so I want an economy car. Also a low-to-medium chance my teen-aged daughter will have her first wreck in it, so no point getting something super nice.  

I have 75-100 miles of driving every day, so gas mileage dictates sub-compact*.  I'm not hauling the materials for a new deck, but being able to get more than two bags of potting soil and an extension cord would be nice!

As far as a concierge car buyer, Auto Authority and CarBargains are the only two I can find that seem to have a national footprint.  Searching for "Car buying services" yields a bunch of folks who want to haul off old cars.  Everyone else seems to be affiliated with a dealer or limited to one large city.

*I've thought about a hybrid, but the upfront cost, plus the looming spectre of battery replacement drove me away.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:56:44 PM by Father mike »

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: May 15, 2017, 04:55:38 PM

Search for 'auto broker'. They usually serve a general area (eg: Denver-metro) and are not national brands.

- Viin
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: May 16, 2017, 03:29:50 AM

I've been looking at small cars and Honda apparently hasn't spent any money on R&D for the last 6 years.

The i30, Imprezza and Mazda 3 are what I'm looking at, probably ending with the i30 with the Turbocharger.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #608 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:14 AM

Wife loves her cx3, as I stated. Try it out though, you might find it cramped. It's got a smaller cockpit setup than other cars in its class.  I also find the location of the Nav display to be offputting.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: May 16, 2017, 04:51:17 PM

That sounds like exactly what I need right now.  Money is a touch tight so I want an economy car. Also a low-to-medium chance my teen-aged daughter will have her first wreck in it, so no point getting something super nice.  

I have 75-100 miles of driving every day, so gas mileage dictates sub-compact*.  I'm not hauling the materials for a new deck, but being able to get more than two bags of potting soil and an extension cord would be nice!

As far as a concierge car buyer, Auto Authority and CarBargains are the only two I can find that seem to have a national footprint.  Searching for "Car buying services" yields a bunch of folks who want to haul off old cars.  Everyone else seems to be affiliated with a dealer or limited to one large city.

*I've thought about a hybrid, but the upfront cost, plus the looming spectre of battery replacement drove me away.

The Fit is a genius little car.  If you dig it, go for it.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: May 17, 2017, 06:54:19 PM

A common mistake people make is over-estimating the importance of gas mileage.

The difference in cost between a 22 MPG car and a 30 MPG car is about 10 dollars a week.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #611 on: May 18, 2017, 08:02:06 AM

My car gets ~18 mpg and when I did the math comparing to a 30 mpg car, I found that I was eager to pay the difference.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #612 on: May 18, 2017, 08:13:49 AM

Have to agree with slog, though it really depends on your mileage needs. I have just over 48k miles on my 9 year old truck, so... mileage not a very important statistic for me.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: May 18, 2017, 09:14:14 AM

I'm with Yegolev on this though.  My commute is 35 miles one way, so my car getting 20mpg on a good day sucks.  Even if gas is cheap now, having to fill up once a week (or slightly less if I do anything else in addition to going to work) still sucks.  Mileage is a primary factor for the next vehicle, to the point where I'm fine with paying for a hybrid.  I'm currently leaning towards a Rav4 version, but OTOH, I really happen to like the Kia Soul and while it doesn't have a hybrid version, the mpg on it's own is just fine.  Mostly, I just don't like sedans and prefer smallish crossovers instead, so getting a decent mpg rating is important to me, personally.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #614 on: May 18, 2017, 10:13:40 AM

Fill-up time also has a cost. If I have to fill up one less time every 2 weeks I've gained 10-20 minutes or more, depending on how crowded the pumps are and how out-of-the way the trip to the station is.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:19 AM

Cars with bigger tanks are awesome. My A6 gets 450 miles to the tank at ~19 MPG for my normal driving.

- Viin
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: May 18, 2017, 12:21:37 PM

I'm with Yegolev on this though.  My commute is 35 miles one way, so my car getting 20mpg on a good day sucks.  Even if gas is cheap now, having to fill up once a week (or slightly less if I do anything else in addition to going to work) still sucks.  Mileage is a primary factor for the next vehicle, to the point where I'm fine with paying for a hybrid.  I'm currently leaning towards a Rav4 version, but OTOH, I really happen to like the Kia Soul and while it doesn't have a hybrid version, the mpg on it's own is just fine.  Mostly, I just don't like sedans and prefer smallish crossovers instead, so getting a decent mpg rating is important to me, personally.

Getcher Kia if like, but just a heads up, their engine is really persnickety about oil. Make sure you change it regularly, and use quality stuff. Their variable valve system is a lil clunky and hates to be starved of oil, either by gunking or neglect.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: May 18, 2017, 03:17:15 PM

If I had a garage with power I'd sign a 3-year lease on a Volt in a minute.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #618 on: May 18, 2017, 04:48:35 PM

I'm really eyeballing that goddamn Tesla 3 as the eventual replacement for my 2004 hybrid Civic.  For a while I was thinking parking it in my garage for charging would be a pain, due to my garage being barely big enough to fit a car into, and then I realized it has that "valet" feature where it'll get itself in and out of the garage for you.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #619 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:18 PM

There are two Superchargers in the ATL, so I'll need to wait a bit on a Tesla.

Also I think I phrased it poorly when I meant to say that I'm eager to pay for extra fuel.  Because I like my car to go when I press the pedal.  Sparing the math, I would spend about $9.60 per day on gas if it was $3/gallon if I just do a normal, shortest commute.  Driving something that gets 30mpg, it would be more like $5.70 per day.  I'm fine paying $3.90 a day for a spritely drive.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #620 on: May 18, 2017, 09:50:40 PM

I have a model 3 on preorder.

While my garage says its for 2 cars, it really isnt. I also dont get want to get rid of the new whip. Tesla will likely be street parked.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #621 on: May 19, 2017, 07:20:35 AM

People need to stop calling them '2 car garages' when they are clearly '1 1/2 car garages'. Pet peeve in our house hunt, because up here a garage isn't optional.

Then again, I don't know how people deal with a single lane driveway.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: May 19, 2017, 03:31:08 PM

My car gets ~18 mpg and when I did the math comparing to a 30 mpg car, I found that I was eager to pay the difference.
I went from a beat up Ford Explorer (like 14mpg on a good day) to a Prius back in 2009. Which averages about 40mpg.

Since then I've placed 125k miles on it. And had one single repair, for 400 bucks. So 8900 gallons versus 3,125.

At 2 bucks a gallon, I've saved...about 11,500 bucks on mileage.

And also, I enjoyed the car. :)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: May 19, 2017, 05:12:46 PM

My 2010 Prius has not done quite so well, but not too bad. I call it my hybrid truck. I've hauled lumber (lots of 8' boards, maybe three or four 10' boards with hatch closed), bags of dirt or fertilizer or mulch, bricks, blocks, rocks, a 65" TV in the box, a few trees, full size garbage cans, desk chairs, and who knows what else. No, not all at once! LOL And no sheetgoods of course. It's comfy, peppy, and even now still gets between 40 and 46mpg with over 125K miles. It started around 47-50mpg when new with the same driving patterns.

I've had every maintenance and oil change done on schedule at the dealer, and paid a lot for that. The battery (12V) gave out two years ago and I had to buy a new "special" one to replace it because Toyota. And the brakes all had to be done last year, even though I use the regenerative braking as much as possible. And I'm on my third (or is it fourth? Head scratch ) set of tires. I've given up on Michelin and gone back to Goodyear. 

The worst thing is it's got an oil leak somewhere on the combustion side, because there's not a single drip in the driveway but it burns more than a quart per 1000 miles. This started about 5K miles out of warranty, and Toyota wont cover it but would be glad to charge me over 2 grand to take it apart and tell me whats wrong with it and how much more it will cost to put back together!

Oh, and there is no way to prop the hatchback open to haul really long stuff without it beeping at you every single foot of the way. And the stupid thing beeps INSIDE the cabin the entire time it's in reverse!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #624 on: May 20, 2017, 03:06:39 AM

For the oil burning engine, I can recommend one of the Lucas Oil oil stabilizer products. I had a '96 Mustang when I was in college that burned oil with no obvious leaks, and the Lucas stuff solved the issue.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: May 20, 2017, 01:18:33 PM

My 2010 Prius has not done quite so well, but not too bad. I call it my hybrid truck. I've hauled lumber (lots of 8' boards, maybe three or four 10' boards with hatch closed), bags of dirt or fertilizer or mulch, bricks, blocks, rocks, a 65" TV in the box, a few trees, full size garbage cans, desk chairs, and who knows what else. No, not all at once! LOL And no sheetgoods of course. It's comfy, peppy, and even now still gets between 40 and 46mpg with over 125K miles. It started around 47-50mpg when new with the same driving patterns.

I've had every maintenance and oil change done on schedule at the dealer, and paid a lot for that. The battery (12V) gave out two years ago and I had to buy a new "special" one to replace it because Toyota. And the brakes all had to be done last year, even though I use the regenerative braking as much as possible. And I'm on my third (or is it fourth? Head scratch ) set of tires. I've given up on Michelin and gone back to Goodyear. 

The worst thing is it's got an oil leak somewhere on the combustion side, because there's not a single drip in the driveway but it burns more than a quart per 1000 miles. This started about 5K miles out of warranty, and Toyota wont cover it but would be glad to charge me over 2 grand to take it apart and tell me whats wrong with it and how much more it will cost to put back together!

Oh, and there is no way to prop the hatchback open to haul really long stuff without it beeping at you every single foot of the way. And the stupid thing beeps INSIDE the cabin the entire time it's in reverse!

I use cheap discount tires (fuck those nitrogen ones. Who has that kind of money?). I haven't had a problem with the oil or anything else. I did have to replace the 12V battery -- it was like two or three times as expensive as a regular car battery. That was a pisser.

Still on the original brake pads though....:) (Regenerative braking doesn't use them. Although I've heard the replacement pads are pricey. Normal pads aren't meant to last that many years...)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #626 on: May 22, 2017, 03:35:45 PM

So maybe $119 in gas per month sounds great to some people, but I'd have to drive a fucking Prius.  awesome, for real

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: May 22, 2017, 04:57:14 PM

So maybe $119 in gas per month sounds great to some people, but I'd have to drive a fucking Prius.  awesome, for real

I pay less than that on average a month, and I don't drive a Prius.  why so serious?

I just don't drive much.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: May 22, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

I don't think I could burn that much gas in a month if i tried!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #629 on: May 22, 2017, 10:37:09 PM

I drive a 4.4L V-8 that requires premium and I don't think I pay 120 buck a month in gas. Yay for short commutes!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: