Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341563 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: January 24, 2017, 05:23:25 AM

Swype sounds awesome but I like using voice dictation sometimes and apparently you can't use that with it.

The "original" Swype has an ASR system integrated and with Google you also have that option, so nothing holding you back.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #561 on: January 24, 2017, 07:05:00 AM

Swype sounds awesome but I like using voice dictation sometimes and apparently you can't use that with it.

The "original" Swype has an ASR system integrated and with Google you also have that option, so nothing holding you back.

I'm using the google keyboard with swype and voice functions. You tap typers disturb me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #562 on: January 24, 2017, 08:19:42 AM

I just get irritated and swear at anyone who wants to have a conversation over text messaging. Either call me or keep it to simple exchanges of info. And by anyone I mean my fiancee.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #563 on: January 24, 2017, 04:15:39 PM

Why are Firestone tires so much cheaper than other brands?  I assume it is not a good reason.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: January 24, 2017, 04:45:25 PM

Why are Firestone tires so much cheaper than other brands?  I assume it is not a good reason.

Probably because they were part of the whole Ford Explorer rollover thing. Also, Firestone is the more "discount" line of tires and Bridgestone the more high end marketed against Michelin and Goodyear.

I bought BF Goodrich tires for my GTI after reading a bunch of reviews saying they were much better than other tires, and they were the cheapest price by like 10%. The OEM tires were like 40% more a piece and they were crappy compared to my "cheap" tires.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: January 24, 2017, 05:07:21 PM

It all depends on the engineering involved and the material the tire is made out of, and what the rating\sizing of the tire is.  Some Firestones are pretty pricey, but a lot are not. 
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #566 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32:31 PM

My current set of coopers has lasted half the mileage of my bridgestones (same size/ratings/alleged mileage) Never again.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #567 on: January 25, 2017, 04:58:46 AM

The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 look great on paper but are only $79 on the web site, which just makes me suspicious.

About stock tires, I've definitely seen that new tires that replace stock are WAY more expensive.  Not sure if this is due to engineering but more likely due to people want to just buy what they already have instead of doing research.  It's possible that you'll save the $400 in research effort since tires are confusing and everyone lies.

This morning I think I'm going to get the Indy 500 set (~$320!) and if they suck I'll figure out which Goodyear I want and get those as replacements.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #568 on: January 25, 2017, 06:27:23 AM

I've been happy with my Michelins and as a bonus the tire shop here is a decent general shop, so I'm doing my maintenance work there now, too.

Helps that the first visit they fixed an alignment issue the dealership couldn't even detect despite me telling them for years (I could tell because of uneven wear).
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: January 25, 2017, 07:35:02 AM

The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 look great on paper but are only $79 on the web site, which just makes me suspicious.

Looks pretty good to me, the Tire Rack reviews are generally a good indication, though there haven't been a large number of miles reported on these tires yet.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP via @tire_rack

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #570 on: January 25, 2017, 11:32:01 AM

After finally ditching the Pirrelis that I kept having problems with I've been really happy with my Goodyears. My car weighs approximately 9 million pounds so I've been impressed with how they have held up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #571 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:02 PM

I'm planning on having the Indy 500 set installed on Friday, so I'll know soon enough.  The Eagle GTs were great but lately are getting slippery.  Also I have a screw in the left front. why so serious?

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: January 29, 2017, 09:29:04 PM

Never cheap out on anything between you and the ground. Tires, shoes, bed etc.

You get what you pay for.  A good set of tires will give you better fuel economy, better ride comfort, less noise, better handling and better braking distances. Especially on wet roads.

Check out a site like 10/10 tires for sets that will fit your vehicle and they will probably have a shit ton of user reviews. That being said I'm a pretty solid proponent of michelins. 

Professional Forum Lurker.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #573 on: January 30, 2017, 06:01:58 AM

I forgot about that site, thanks.  A quick search reminds me why buying a common vehicle is sometimes worthwhile. All my tires are listed under $200. I can only imagine that's because it's a Camry and has so damn many cars on the road.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #574 on: January 30, 2017, 07:00:12 AM

After over 300 miles since the installation on Friday, the Indy 500 are very nice.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: January 30, 2017, 08:48:30 AM

I forgot about that site, thanks.  A quick search reminds me why buying a common vehicle is sometimes worthwhile. All my tires are listed under $200. I can only imagine that's because it's a Camry and has so damn many cars on the road.

Good tires really are not as expensive as we imagine they should be. I paid less that $160 a piece installed for my W-rated, well reviewed tires on my GTI. (BF Goodrich COMP-2 A/S)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #576 on: January 30, 2017, 09:40:59 AM

The commonality does matter though. I recall paying over 500 for the cheap option on my first car. It was a caprice classic and the size was odd as I recall.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: January 30, 2017, 10:09:25 AM

The commonality does matter though. I recall paying over 500 for the cheap option on my first car. It was a caprice classic and the size was odd as I recall.

Certainly, but as you mentioned, you own a Toyota and Japanese car makers tend to be fairly standard with their sizing on a lot of things. For all we know, in Japan there is actually a set of regulations dictating possible tire/wheel sizes. It is, after all, more efficient to standardize and Japanese are almost as freaky about efficiency as Germans.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #578 on: January 30, 2017, 10:33:26 AM

Are you guys trying to tell me that Firestones suck?

Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: January 30, 2017, 10:34:24 AM

Suck?
Firestone yes. Bridgestone no.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #580 on: January 30, 2017, 12:26:33 PM

So far so good, and reviews were decent.  I'll let you know if I have a blowout or something.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: January 30, 2017, 12:40:11 PM

Just make sure you keep them under inflated  why so serious?

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: January 30, 2017, 12:49:56 PM

Suck?
Firestone yes. Bridgestone no.

Same company too.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #583 on: January 30, 2017, 03:20:26 PM

In slightly related news, I'm too busy to research what to do about poor SiriusXM reception.  I read that there is bad frequency isolation in the receivers which sounds like a new unit rather than a firmware update.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #584 on: January 30, 2017, 04:56:48 PM

Considering you live in the boondocks I'd put money on new unit.

Though XM seems to be shit in cities or around large antennae of any sort.  Skyscrapers block me when I'm downtown, the newest bridge overpass up the road from me that's only 5 lanes blocks me if I'm within 200' of it, and the WLW tower? Forget about signal within an 1/8 mile of it either way.  I'm considering giving it up after this year, I'm not getting the value from it.

Certainly, but as you mentioned, you own a Toyota and Japanese car makers tend to be fairly standard with their sizing on a lot of things. For all we know, in Japan there is actually a set of regulations dictating possible tire/wheel sizes. It is, after all, more efficient to standardize and Japanese are almost as freaky about efficiency as Germans.
Good point.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #585 on: January 31, 2017, 10:22:48 AM

SiriusXM works great in the boonies and I don't actually live in them even living ~25 miles from ATL center.  I range through the entire NW quadrant of Metro ATL and it is obviously some sort of interference.  Whether it is only T-Mobile or other things, I just know that some units are better than others in avoiding it.  I also can't stand ATL FM radio and would rather just listen to road noise.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: January 31, 2017, 12:40:39 PM

I just get irritated and swear at anyone who wants to have a conversation over text messaging. Either call me or keep it to simple exchanges of info. And by anyone I mean my fiancee.
I disagree with this completely, and vastly prefer to communicate via text than a phone call.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: January 31, 2017, 12:51:28 PM

I disagree with this completely, and vastly prefer to communicate via text than a phone call.

Especially on the bus in public. I hate talking on the phone in public.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #588 on: January 31, 2017, 08:23:07 PM

The way to manage public phone calls is to talk very loudly.  Hand waving is also an excellent indicator of how important you are.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: May 15, 2017, 09:09:06 AM

Going back to before this was the "Tires and Cell Keyboards" thread ...

Has anyone used USAA's car buyer page?  I need a compact sedan, and was using the site to price Civics/Accords/Camrys.  Found lots of cars from small dealers that were obviously back from lease, and about $1500 cheaper than CarMax. 

The service description says "Dealers will do their best of match listed prices."  I don't want to drive 40 miles to a dealer to be told there's an additional 1-2K in lot fees and clearcoat bullshit.

I REALLY hate buying cars.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: May 15, 2017, 10:04:35 AM

Has anyone used USAA's car buyer page?  I need a compact sedan, and was using the site to price Civics/Accords/Camrys.  Found lots of cars from small dealers that were obviously back from lease, and about $1500 cheaper than CarMax. 

The service description says "Dealers will do their best of match listed prices."  I don't want to drive 40 miles to a dealer to be told there's an additional 1-2K in lot fees and clearcoat bullshit.

Here's what has worked well for me.

Use cars.com to find specific cars at larger dealerships.  I tend to look at cars that have been on the lot 30 days or more as the dealer wants to move these and will be willing to negotiate.

AVOID CarMax and the smaller, used-only lots.  I've never had a good experience nor gotten a good price from them.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: May 15, 2017, 10:17:33 AM

About to go down this road myself this year. The old RSX-S got a little banged up and I am not hopeful the insurance company will even consider fixing a 14 year old car. So down the rabbit hole I must go.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #592 on: May 15, 2017, 10:34:18 AM

I used USAA's service to price my Camry Hybrid and to get a prequalified loan. The dealer beat both the price and the loan offer when I was there, so I'm not sure if it helped or not. I was armed with information, though, so I count it as having helped. Be aware they aren't a true car-buying service where you just go in and sign papers and then are done. They're more of a prequalification and 'member discount offer' aggregator.

From what I recall, the lot fees were already included. The "Clearcoat bullshit" is not, and never is. If you don't want it just say no. These days you're in the room with the actual purchasing agent instead of the salesman when all that is happening, and he's less incentivized to push you into it than the salesman. He's also going to catch more shit if you walk out, so be firm in your denial of add-ons.

Some of the guys here use an actual car buying service. If you really, really hate car buying I'm sure they can recommend one. I think Abo, Yeg and Morat were the 3 talking about them earlier.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: May 15, 2017, 10:45:46 AM

Here's what has worked well for me.

Use cars.com to find specific cars at larger dealerships.  I tend to look at cars that have been on the lot 30 days or more as the dealer wants to move these and will be willing to negotiate.

AVOID CarMax and the smaller, used-only lots.  I've never had a good experience nor gotten a good price from them.

The only reason I was looking at CarMax was that they have the return in 48 hrs thing and several other buyer protections.  I'm willing to pay a small premium for that (and the total lack of pressure tactics).

When I said small dealers, wasn't talking about the kind that are a converted gas station with 5-8 beaters out front (that also do title loans, conveniently enough!).  Just not one of the huge, mega-lots that constantly advertise on TV.  Big enough that they aren't obviously sketchy.  But yeah, after checking, the dealer I was referred to thru USAA has a D+ BBB rating.  So maybe a larger dealer isnt such a bad idea ...

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #594 on: May 15, 2017, 11:14:49 AM

I haven't used a car buying service but it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: