Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:59:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341525 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: January 09, 2017, 11:31:26 AM

Here is a great video the demonstates this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
While I don't disagree about the importance of good tires, that seems ridiculous. Unless there is glare ice or those are racing slicks, there's no reason that 4WD shouldn't be at least moving up the hill.

It's on Summer tires, not All season tires.  All Seasons (referred to as 'No Season') are a little bit better then Snow tires, but they are still terrible.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #526 on: January 09, 2017, 11:41:37 AM

I'll continue using the No Season tires since the black ice only shows up once or twice every few years for a couple days at a time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: January 09, 2017, 11:46:04 AM

I'll continue using the No Season tires since the black ice only shows up once or twice every few years for a couple days at a time.

I really think it's up to the individual to decide based on where they live and how far they drive.  My wife works a mile away so I just put No-Seasons on her car.

Here is a good compare between all seasons and snow tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svkZDRoouYU

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #528 on: January 09, 2017, 11:50:29 AM

On a separate note, if anyone has any questions on "How a car dealer actually works" my wife does the books for a New Car dealer so I can bounce any questions off her.  Or, if you want to know about Subarus, my son is a Subaru Master tech and I race a Subaru WRX in SCCA Rallycross events on the weekends. 

The most common question I get is "Do I need All wheel drive or 4 Wheel drive in the winter?" The answer is,  it's a nice to have but not a must have.  What you really need is Snow tires, regardless of vehicle.  I cannot stress how much of a difference Snow Tires make.

Here is a great video the demonstates this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

The Rear Wheel drive BMW (with the terrible exhaust) blows away the 4WD on Summer Tires.  Also, while I run studded snow tires on the WRX, you don't really need them unless you do a lot of driving in ice storms or on frozen lakes.

Weight distribution goes a bit to aid good tires. Empty pick-up with snow tires and RW-drive is still going to have a hard time of it comparatively to a FW-drive car on summer tires.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #529 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:17 PM

Don't misunderstand, I'm convinced that the tires make a lot of difference.  I just don't have the use-case.  99.9% of the time, I need either rain tires or dry tires.  I don't know if ice tires are a thing but I only would have needed them three years ago during Snowmageddon 2014.  Yeah we still call it that.  Also, I made it home anyway on stock tires on a Cadillac SRX.  Other people had problems.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #530 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:41 PM

While I don't disagree about the importance of good tires, that seems ridiculous. Unless there is glare ice or those are racing slicks, there's no reason that 4WD shouldn't be at least moving up the hill.
The BMW also has traction control (DSC) and is able to adjust braking to individual wheels and reduce engine fuel to minimize wheel slippage.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: January 09, 2017, 02:38:21 PM

The BMW also has traction control (DSC) and is able to adjust braking to individual wheels and reduce engine fuel to minimize wheel slippage.

The Subaru Forester XT definitely has traction control.  I'm not a BMW guy, so I don't know about the M3.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: January 09, 2017, 04:50:02 PM

The M3 has traction control, but it has purposely been held short so you can still get some wheel spin/drift on corners. I would expect the Forester to have better traction control with its AWD.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:46:59 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #533 on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:42 PM

Which is why comparison vids that don't use the same vehicle are always suspect.  They're pushing a point and not providing rigid evidence.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: January 09, 2017, 05:39:19 PM

Which is why comparison vids that don't use the same vehicle are always suspect.  They're pushing a point and not providing rigid evidence.

It's a test for Snow tires on a RWD vs Summer tires on an AWD to show that Snow tires are more important than AWD.  That's it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:43:47 PM by slog »

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: January 15, 2017, 03:47:19 PM

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #536 on: January 15, 2017, 09:29:33 PM

Don't misunderstand, I'm convinced that the tires make a lot of difference.  I just don't have the use-case.  99.9% of the time, I need either rain tires or dry tires.  I don't know if ice tires are a thing but I only would have needed them three years ago during Snowmageddon 2014.  Yeah we still call it that.  Also, I made it home anyway on stock tires on a Cadillac SRX.  Other people had problems.
If you absolutely have to travel on ice, chains are the way to go. You used to be able to get your tires "studded", little rivets that would grab onto ice, but I think the liability suits did away with that.

--Dave
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:35:01 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: January 16, 2017, 05:06:47 AM

Don't misunderstand, I'm convinced that the tires make a lot of difference.  I just don't have the use-case.  99.9% of the time, I need either rain tires or dry tires.  I don't know if ice tires are a thing but I only would have needed them three years ago during Snowmageddon 2014.  Yeah we still call it that.  Also, I made it home anyway on stock tires on a Cadillac SRX.  Other people had problems.
If you absolutely have to travel on ice, chains are the way to go. You used to be able to get your tires "studded", little rivets that would grab onto ice, but I think the liability suits did away with that.

--Dave

You can still get studded snow tires, but their use is regulated by your state laws. 

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #538 on: January 16, 2017, 10:51:48 AM

Studs are legal in Georgia, if the roads are icy.  Do I want to buy a set and store them?  Not really.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:23 AM

Studs are legal in Georgia, if the roads are icy.  Do I want to buy a set and store them?  Not really.

If the roads are icy anywhere in the south, stay home.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: January 16, 2017, 01:12:51 PM

It would be a complete waste of money to buy studded tires in Georgia.

Here in Idaho (three feet of snow on the ground locally atm) it's legal to use them Oct. 1 thru April 30, and you'd want to get them put on early in October to avoid the annual mob at the tire shop after the first freeze.

A few miles west in Washington, it's only legal Nov. 1 to April 1.  Although the cops in eastern washington aren't too rabid about the tickets in late october/april.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: January 16, 2017, 02:35:57 PM

Right now on vacation in Bend, OR. The type of tires don't matter. Having your own personal curiosity rover might though. Streets are turrble washboards of varying levels of compacted snow from 0-3" thick. And tomorrow it is going to rain!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #542 on: January 17, 2017, 04:02:43 AM

Oregon doesn't get enough snow that it makes s nose for cities or counties to have a snow removal plan,never mind equipment.  It's strange for those of us from the Midwest who are actually at lower latitudes it there it is.  You get chains and drive through it for the few days it's there in a normal year.

However thanks to climate shift and possibly El Niño this January isn't normal. It's been fun watching my sister and voodoo lily loose their minds because schools have been closed since December.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #543 on: January 20, 2017, 06:23:46 AM

Maybe there is a "Buying a new spellchecker, need some advice" thread.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #544 on: January 20, 2017, 07:11:32 AM

My thumb always hits space instead of "n". Sometimes I'm careful but more often nope.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #545 on: January 20, 2017, 12:10:13 PM

I'm just kidding - hey, you're alright!

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: January 20, 2017, 12:27:24 PM

My thumb always hits space instead of "n". Sometimes I'm careful but more ofte   ope.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #547 on: January 20, 2017, 02:47:38 PM

I'm just kidding - hey, you're alright!

Hey everybody, we're all gonna get maid!

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: January 22, 2017, 12:10:55 AM

It might need its own thread, but why would anyone use their thumb for the N key?  Mind slightly blown.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:57 AM

If you are a two handed smartphone typist you use your thumbs for every letter.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #550 on: January 22, 2017, 06:20:29 AM

If you are a two handed smartphone typist you use your thumbs for every letter.

ACK! ACK!

Swype was developed for a reason.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: January 22, 2017, 10:05:51 AM

Didn't occur to me that he might have done it on a smartphone.  Come on Merusk, solve this mystery!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #552 on: January 22, 2017, 01:23:14 PM

Of course. 90% of my posts are on a smartphone anymore. What do you use in the shitter?

I tried swype, it doesn't ork for me. Too slow.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #553 on: January 22, 2017, 01:49:11 PM

Yeah, ditto, can't stand it.  Nothing is as fast as two thumb typing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: January 22, 2017, 03:06:49 PM

+1 for not liking Swype. Or autocorrect/complete, for that matter.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: January 23, 2017, 12:27:06 AM

Of course. 90% of my posts are on a smartphone anymore. What do you use in the shitter?

I tried swype, it doesn't ork for me. Too slow.

There is a joke about "wipe" to be made here, but I can't quite put it together.  But anyway, I don't post from the shitter.  I play Galaxy of Heroes, like any respectable nerd might do.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: January 23, 2017, 04:19:44 AM

Does F13 have an app that works?

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: January 23, 2017, 06:47:21 AM

Does F13 have an app that works?

I love Swype or rather the integrated solution of the Google keyboard. Might take a week getting used to it but I really don't want to go back to normal typing.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: January 23, 2017, 07:02:28 AM

Swype sounds awesome but I like using voice dictation sometimes and apparently you can't use that with it.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:33 AM

Sorry I meant an app like tapatalk.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: