Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked]  (Read 285541 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: March 17, 2011, 05:46:39 PM

Saw that video on the news earlier, very moving when they rescue the woman and she feels she has to thank them  embarassed.
Japanese culture is layers upon layers of constant, automatic, authentic politeness. Sarcasm is practically an alien concept. It's not so much that she felt she had to thank them, as that it would be unthinkable for anybody not to do so. Unnatural as it looks from here, that kind of thing is related to the lack of massive looting and riots.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: March 17, 2011, 05:55:27 PM

Err, why wouldn't she thank him?

Is the concept that you don't have to be an asshole rude to strangers really that foreign to people?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:57:54 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #667 on: March 17, 2011, 06:13:02 PM

Err, why wouldn't she thank him?

Is the concept that you don't have to be an asshole rude to strangers really that foreign to people?

Yeah that thanking is to be expected. It's more about the below kind of behavior that's typical for the Japanese but not for cultures like us Americans:
An old lady in pain from a shattered ankle, pulled from beneath fallen furniture, apologized to her rescuers for inconveniencing them and asked whether others should be helped first. It is as if courtesy, so ingrained in a culture of bowing and formality, never leaves.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/opinion/awed-by-japans-quiet-dignity/429441

The lack of looting mentioned above is another manifestation of this behavior.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #668 on: March 17, 2011, 07:33:14 PM

And in another display of "people behave differently in other countries??":

Police aren't the only ones on patrol since the earthquake hit. Members of the Yakuza, Japan's organized crime syndicate, have also been enforcing order. All three major crime groups—the Yamaguchi-gumi, the Sumiyoshi-kai, and the Inagawa-kai—have "compiled squads to patrol the streets of their turf and keep an eye out to make sure looting and robbery doesn't occur," writes Jake Adelstein, author of Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan, in an e-mail message. "The Sumiyoshi-kai claims to have shipped over 40 tons of [humanitarian aid] supplies nationwide and I believe that's a conservative estimate."

(Ignore the other two examples in that article - the Japanese aren't being polite for incentives and policing is different in Japan.)

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: March 17, 2011, 08:15:29 PM

If that is too extreme then I invite you to talk to the people of Russia whose children are being born horribly deformed or with holes in their hearts.

Response is elsewhere.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #670 on: March 17, 2011, 08:33:19 PM

And with that link we direct all conversation about the merits of Nuclear energy to politics. Keep this about the status of the plants in Japan and other news/info about the relief effort.

Too damn lazy to remove the crap posts.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #671 on: March 17, 2011, 09:01:56 PM

And in another display of "people behave differently in other countries??":

Police aren't the only ones on patrol since the earthquake hit. Members of the Yakuza, Japan's organized crime syndicate, have also been enforcing order. All three major crime groups—the Yamaguchi-gumi, the Sumiyoshi-kai, and the Inagawa-kai—have "compiled squads to patrol the streets of their turf and keep an eye out to make sure looting and robbery doesn't occur," writes Jake Adelstein, author of Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan, in an e-mail message. "The Sumiyoshi-kai claims to have shipped over 40 tons of [humanitarian aid] supplies nationwide and I believe that's a conservative estimate."

(Ignore the other two examples in that article - the Japanese aren't being polite for incentives and policing is different in Japan.)

This is nothing new. Right after the '95 Kobe quake, Yamaguchi-gumi was one of the first organized relief efforts on site. Granted, Kobe's their own turf, but still. As fucked up as the Yakuza might be under normal circumstances, in times of crisis, they've always been the point people for taking care of their fellow Japanese.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: March 17, 2011, 09:21:19 PM

Well hey, those people paid their protection money!  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #673 on: March 17, 2011, 09:22:10 PM

Well played sir.

And now, on a continuing note about what's going on in Tokyo, and how the people there aren't panicking and aren't leaving, I give you, Tokyo Times.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:50:29 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: March 17, 2011, 10:16:50 PM

Images of the dousing operation of the water trucks going on now are intense, water shooting on to the buildings (around 2 pm today) and seemingly all almost immediately going up in steam.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: March 17, 2011, 10:19:56 PM

The Tokyo times link, I love the pictures of everything sold out but that one product that no one will buy, not even in panic of greater disaster.

"Oh god no, not <product>, I'll just eat some tic tacs or something"

-edit- http://www.wordpress.tokyotimes.org/archives/supermarket102copy.jpg how awful must whatever is in that box be, to be completely ignored?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:21:44 PM by Fordel »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: March 17, 2011, 10:20:04 PM

I do have to say that you have to have a lot of respect for the Japanese people with how they are handling this. Had this happened on the East coast of the U.S. you would have had looting and all the westbound interstates would have been chock full of cars of people "evacuating" to safe ground. Probably all the way to St. Louis.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #677 on: March 17, 2011, 10:40:24 PM

I can't read enough of it from that angle, but it looks like it's some sort of instant soba.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: March 17, 2011, 10:44:25 PM

I have no idea what Soba is, do I want to know?  why so serious?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #679 on: March 17, 2011, 10:50:03 PM

Buckwheat noodles. Which is normally not a bad thing. Then again, Japanese food in boxes is sometimes weird as fuck.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: March 18, 2011, 12:16:08 AM

Would have said it was Udon. Actually, looks like two different products. Could be Udon on the left, Soba on the right.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #681 on: March 18, 2011, 01:02:49 AM

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/opinion/awed-by-japans-quiet-dignity/429441

The lack of looting mentioned above is another manifestation of this behavior.

Yeah, I finally got to talk on the phone with my friend in Japan who was right near the epicenter.  She went back to her apartment just yesterday, and she was sad to find there weren't any hot Japanese guys who'd broken into her apartment while she was sleeping away.   awesome, for real

And yeah, the Yakuza are a weird beast......  Vicious asshole fucks in many ways, like when they thought a friend of mine in Japan was trying to pick up on one of there girls in a club, and had him dragged out back and beaten until his teeth were shattered.  They can also be very cool, like with or earthquake relief.   Or like the Yakuza bar owner we became good friends with, who randomly handed a friend of mine a large wad of prime grade hash one night at the bar for being good customers/friends.  This is not easy or cheep shit to come by in Japan.

Weird but fun country.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hogan
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:26 AM

Saw that video on the news earlier, very moving when they rescue the woman and she feels she has to thank them  embarassed.
Japanese culture is layers upon layers of constant, automatic, authentic politeness. Sarcasm is practically an alien concept. It's not so much that she felt she had to thank them, as that it would be unthinkable for anybody not to do so. Unnatural as it looks from here, that kind of thing is related to the lack of massive looting and riots.

I only meant it was odd to see the normal social gestures even in such an extreme situation, perfectly logicial yes, still looked odd to me.  I had the privilege of working for a few months with a Japanese guy who spoke very little english, great guy, we hadn't clue what each other was saying but a lot of bowing and head nodding was involved.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #683 on: March 18, 2011, 01:34:27 AM

Yeah, in '95, I was shoulder-to-shoulder with a bunch of yakuza guys in the cleanup effort. Positively weird. Just seemingly down-to-earth guys that also happened to try to kill a rival boss with a fucking backhoe a couple of years later. Bizarre.

Hogan
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: March 18, 2011, 02:51:36 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

0900: Japan raises its level of nuclear accident at Fukushima Daiichi from 4 to 5, Reuters news agency reports quoting the IAEA.

IAEA Briefing on Fukushima Nuclear Emergency (17 March 2011, 14:00 UTC)

Unit 4 remains a major safety concern. No information is available on the level of water in the spent fuel pool. No water temperature indication from the Unit 4 spent fuel pool has been received since 14 March, when the temperature was 84 °C. No roof is in place.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #685 on: March 18, 2011, 05:12:02 AM

U.S. nuclear officials suspect Japanese plant has a dire breach

That assessment by U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission officials is based on the sequence of events since the earthquake and information provided by key American contractors who were in the plant at the time, said government officials familiar with the evaluation. It was compelling evidence, they said, that the wall of the No. 4 reactor pool has a significant hole or crack.

Unlike the reactor itself, the spent fuel pool does not have its own containment vessel, and any radioactive particles and gases can more easily spew into the environment if the uranium fuel begins to burn. In addition, the pool, which contains 130 tons of uranium fuel, is housed in a building that Japanese authorities say appears to have been damaged by fire or explosions.

Despite the alarmist tone of the LA times, I've read that water spraying would work to keep fuel from December cool, obviously complicated by getting close enough to do it, the then possibly contaminated water going somewhere unknown and the unknown arrangement of the fuel.

Edit to add Digitalglobe image March 17th
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:54:32 AM by Arthur_Parker »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #686 on: March 18, 2011, 07:35:47 AM

Entire house floating out at sea.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: March 18, 2011, 07:41:00 AM

Ars Technica has a (seemingly) good article that attempts to explain the nuclear crisis in Japan.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #688 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:01 AM

No significant radiation on the West Coast of the US so far today.  Yesterday's readings below.

Fixed Monitor Location: WA: SEATTLE
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/18/2011 02:03:38 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/18/2011 03:03:46 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 13
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 686
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 435
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 144
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 76
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 46
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 56
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 39
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 18
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 22

Fixed Monitor Location: OR: PORTLAND
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/18/2011 01:53:30 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/18/2011 02:53:38 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 20
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 2607
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1255
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 379
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 200
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 128
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 153
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 101
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 41
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 57

Fixed Monitor Location: CA: SAN FRANCISCO
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/18/2011 01:41:39 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/18/2011 02:41:47 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 17
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 1962
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1271
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 380
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 201
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 133
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 161
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 101
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 29
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 38

There's an EPA site one can join that has logs on radiation data being actively collected.  I'll channel AP and maybe start posting West Coast readings every once in a while.  

Fixed Monitor Location: WA: SEATTLE
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/17/2011 02:58:40 PM
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/17/2011 03:58:48 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 10
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 682
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 423
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 140
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 73
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 46
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 55
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 40
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 17
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 22

Fixed Monitor Location: OR: PORTLAND
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/17/2011 02:48:42 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/17/2011 03:48:50 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 12
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 2276
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1064
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 324
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 171
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 115
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 134
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 89
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 36
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 54

Fixed Monitor Location: CA: SAN FRANCISCO
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/17/2011 02:36:39 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/17/2011 03:36:46 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 18
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 1966
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1257
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 377
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 197
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 132
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 157
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 96
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 30
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 37
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: March 18, 2011, 08:41:13 AM

Stunning.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: March 18, 2011, 11:24:49 AM

And now, on a continuing note about what's going on in Tokyo, and how the people there aren't panicking and aren't leaving, I give you, Tokyo Times.

I dont know why certain posters are attempting to deny that people are fleeing the city of Tokyo, but it is happening.
Relevant news article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110316/wl_nm/us_japan_quake_tokyo

TOKYO (Reuters) – Areas of Tokyo usually packed with office workers crammed into sushi restaurants and noodle shops were eerily quiet. Many schools were closed. Companies allowed workers to stay home. Long queues formed at airports.

As Japanese authorities struggled to avert disaster at an earthquake-battered nuclear complex 240 km (150 miles) to the north, parts of Tokyo resembled a ghost town.

Many stocked up on food and stayed indoors or simply left, transforming one of the world's biggest and densely populated cities into a shell of its usual self.

"Look, it's like Sunday -- no cars in town," said Kazushi Arisawa, a 62-year-old taxi driver as he waited for more than an hour outside an office tower where he usually finds customers within minutes. "I can't make money today."

And its not just foreigners.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Coquitlam+foreigners+Japanese+women+children+fleeing+Tokyo/4459565/story.html
Foreigners and Japanese women and children are packing trains to flee Tokyo, says a Coquitlam man who escaped the stricken metropolis with his family over radiation concerns.
Au said over the past few days foreigners have fled Tokyo, and now there seems to be a rush of local woman and children from Tokyo.

At a transportation hub Thursday night in Tokyo, “on the bullet trains it was packed with foreigners, women and children [leaving,”] he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8389480/Japan-nuclear-plant-no-quick-getaway-for-thousands-trying-to-flee-the-radiation-zone.html
On Thursday the cars were moving in the opposite direction as thousands of Japanese ignored their government's advice and began to flee south from Fukushima, the little-known Japanese town that, like Chernobyl, has now given its name to a nuclear disaster.

But if "flee" suggests speed, that would be to mislead: for mile after mile the cars barely moved above walking pace as they inched south from Nasushiobara, the last town north of Tokyo before you enter the wrong side of the 50-mile exclusion zone designated by Britain and the US

Many of the drivers stared out from behind protective surgical masks, some allowing their chins to sink forward on to their steering wheels, as if giving up any hope that the traffic would start to move again.

I mean hell just google "fleeing tokyo" and look at the list of relevant news articles.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: March 18, 2011, 11:32:46 AM

Stunning.

That house is build amazingly well to not be in a billion pieces.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #692 on: March 18, 2011, 11:34:21 AM

That was my thought.  It's only weak point was the bolts holding it to the foundation.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #693 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:14 AM

I dont know why certain posters are attempting to deny that people are fleeing the city of Tokyo, but it is happening.
Relevant news article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110316/wl_nm/us_japan_quake_tokyo

I mean hell just google "fleeing tokyo" and look at the list of relevant news articles.

Probably for the same reason you want to keep insisting that everyone is running away when the vast majority are doing what they always do, which is staying put.

Read some of the comments in that second article you posted. And then, while you're at it, google "Don't believe the hype". Oh wait, you don't need to google that, you just need to apply it to your daily life as you go about looking for more gloom and doom than is actually taking place in Japan.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #694 on: March 18, 2011, 11:42:17 AM

My friend/co-worker has family in Tokyo and he's saying the same thing as Surlyboi. Expats are fleeing, but most of the Japanese people are staying where they are. The ghost town observation applies only because they're all staying inside, which is just them doing what the government told those in the 20km zone to do.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #695 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:24 AM

Who really cares if people are leaving?  If they are, great.  If not, great. 
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: March 18, 2011, 12:06:55 PM

I keep feeling like the US government is intentionally trying to incite panic.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: March 18, 2011, 12:09:33 PM

They are just trying to ensure that the media conglomerates have sensational headlines to keep the eyeballs on the screen/paper and the ad revenue coming in.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #698 on: March 18, 2011, 12:54:01 PM

Err, how so?  What has the US government itself been continually saying to cause panic?  I've just seen it from the media.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #699 on: March 18, 2011, 01:03:50 PM

The US government isn't a government of Panic. They know far too much about psychology for that. They are a government of Fear.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked]  
Jump to: