Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked]  (Read 281021 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1190 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:13 AM

Slightly surreal
August 4, Fukushima city office=0.90 micro Sv (16:05). Highway west I.C.=0.54 micro Sv (15:51). Sunny then downpour. 31.5 C.

Fill me in... what the hell does this cryptic tweet mean? Nevermind...it's Twitter and I forgot I don't give two shits about what's on there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: August 05, 2011, 10:08:55 AM

Imagine if YOUR local weather forecast routinely included radiation levels too.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1192 on: August 05, 2011, 10:12:05 AM

I wasn't going to tell him and I expected him to flunk the test at the end of the thread.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1193 on: August 05, 2011, 10:18:38 AM

Fucking hate Twitter. So that is a Tweet'd weather report. Got it.

Meh...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: August 05, 2011, 12:24:42 PM

It's been fun watching the pro-nuclear guys. Not that I'm particular anti-nuclear. I'm just a bit skeptical about people and business in general -- especially when it comes to safety.

When nukes go bad, they go REALLY bad for a very long time. Not quite the same with a badly built wind turbine. Or even a oil or coal plant. I mean, the worst they do is blow up and catch on fire then it's over.

I think my biggest beef with the nuclear power fanboys is their ability to both talk up the safety of nukes while downplaying the risks. Fact of the matter is, the "downside" is so "down" that the upside has to be a heck of a lot higher.

Nukes can't be "Safer" than regular power plants, because their failure modes are many times worse. They have to be orders of magnitude safer, which adds a lot to cost. Which generally makes them a poor choice, because they cost so much.

I've noticed that the pro-nuclear stance has been a pretty startling series of steps backwards on this disastor, with never any awareness that the systemic errors, cut-corners, and poor planning here might be replicated elsewhere.

The problem is, you're totally wrong. In every way shape and form nuclear is safer than "regular" power plants. Most of which are coal. Around 6000 people a year die in China alone in coal mining accidents: http://www.clb.org.hk/en/node/19316

After coal we have Hydroelectric, and a great example. Right next door to the Fukushima Reactor (ok it's a 2hr drive) we have the Fujiyama Damn. It failed in the very same earthquake as the reactor, but unlike the reactor it actually killed people! 8 people dead and homes washed away. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujinuma_Dam

Then we have Wind Turbines... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_wind_power#Safety Don't want to fall off those...
Psst, Charlie - don't bother. Tabonas thinks we can wish a fully-functional alternative power source into existence from nothing and Arthur doesn't see burning fossil fuels as an issue because he thinks climate change is a communist conspiracy.

Also: What's the expected fatalities from this now?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1195 on: August 05, 2011, 01:35:09 PM

I think that's the fourth time you have misrepresnted my views and dragged politics stuff ouside that forum.  I've respected the rules here and been perfectly polite on each occasion, pointed it out and avoided engaging on the subject. 

Now normally I'd repeat the above and repeat that I've always been strongly pro nucleur power and only switched to a more neutral stance based on events in Japan, as I've stated pages back. 

But It's obviously not working so let me try a different tactic.  I like your posts a lot, I'm not sure if it's your incredible layered  levels of innocence on numerous subjects or the fact you think anyone else really cares what you or I think on any subject.  Either way I applaud your determination and your focus.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: August 06, 2011, 05:13:35 AM

It's not (just  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ) a cheap shot - if the debate is "Which power source are we going to rely on the most heavily?" and weighing up the pros and cons of each, having someone in the debate essentially saying "Well, let's just use coal because there's no real drawbacks to it" (because they think global warming is a scam ergo lets just keep pumping out CO2) is about on a par as asking a goldbug to an economics debate.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1197 on: August 06, 2011, 06:20:12 AM

And that's the fifth time.

I'm fairly sure it's harder to troll someone if they think you use special cutlery.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: August 06, 2011, 04:29:14 PM

Just ask yourself: am I intending to argue that nuclear power is an important or necessary idea?

Then ask yourself: am I doing a good job of arguing that?

If the point is, no, I don't care, I just want to fuck with people, then the next arrow on the flow chart is "Let's go to the Politics forum".

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1199 on: August 06, 2011, 05:04:14 PM

Yeah, consider starting a politics thread Simon, I'm not interested in posting in it but I'll sure enjoy reading it. 

I thought this vendetta you seem to have going outside politics was personal and aimed at me for that retarded thread from years back, remember the one I exited at one point for about a year and you trolled me from the Warhammer forum to return to?  I forget the exact details anyway, good times, I'm sure I pissed the mods off but after sorta being dared to return to it I thought it was worth the risking a ban and I personally thought it hilarious.  Yes, I'm perfectly aware I was being a complete arsehole and aside from feeling slightly guilty about giving the mods extra work I wouldn't change a thing.

But maybe this isn't personal, I googled you to see what's up and I stopped counting at a dozen equally stupid threads you had going on the same subject scattered on various forums all over the internet, some years before my stupid thread.  As I kept my stupidity limited to one thread you might want to consider who exactly has the unhealthy obsession with the subject. 

For hopefully the last time, I got involved in my thread by a funny accident, it's not something I'd normally consider important enough to argue about.  So take it politics and find someone else to argue with, but understand this, I know your game now, I skimmed some of those threads  why so serious?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: August 07, 2011, 03:46:26 AM

Just ask yourself: am I intending to argue that nuclear power is an important or necessary idea?

Then ask yourself: am I doing a good job of arguing that?

If the point is, no, I don't care, I just want to fuck with people, then the next arrow on the flow chart is "Let's go to the Politics forum".
There's already a thread there: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=20595.0

Yeah, consider starting a politics thread Simon, I'm not interested in posting in it but I'll sure enjoy reading it.
Er, see above. You were quite the active poster in it. swamp poop
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:58:45 AM by Simond »

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: August 07, 2011, 04:28:08 AM

I like the argument that it's not fair to use things people said in other threads against them and oh by the way I found a bunch of other threads you've posted in and boy do I have some incriminating evidence!

It seems like this thread is about...digging through other threads while accusing other people of digging through other threads?

Is that like some sort of metaphor for Japan digging through some rubble or something? Help me out here guys!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:16:47 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1202 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:17 AM

I didn`t say that either, I'm perfectly happy to actually quote someone when I feel the need to refer to something they said, so I've no problem with people quoting me.

There's a perfectly good politics thread you could take this to.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: August 07, 2011, 05:20:42 AM

Edit: Sorry I'm kind of in a bad mood but when I click on a Japan thread I expect to see something other than people arguing about an old politics thread, other websites and the Warhammer forums. Hatefuck or do whatever it is you guys need to do and move on please.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:26:58 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1204 on: August 07, 2011, 06:27:49 AM

Yup, guess I should have thought of that.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1205 on: August 08, 2011, 12:06:35 AM

‘Mr. Cesium’ Gag TV Show Suspended After 200,000 Complain

And the winner is… “Mr. Cesium”?

In a widely circulated blooper here, the radioactive element personified was declared the winner of gifts from March 11 disaster-struck areas in a lottery organized by a local TV station.

In this instance, the prize was rice harvested in Iwate prefecture, one of the areas where fear is growing that farm produce and animals may have been affected by radiation, including cesium isotopes, from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

For 23 seconds on Thursday morning, a graphic that showed the supposed “Mr. Cesium” was the lucky recipient of “suspicious rice” and “contaminated rice” from an Iwate prefecture brand, topped off with a cartoon character made out of grains of rice, was broadcast on Tokai TV station’s “Peekan TV” show, now suspended pending an investigation.

The graphic immediately set off a firestorm of fury online, where the clip was widely circulated. The TV station received more than 200,000 complaints, according to local media reports. Iwate Prefecture fired off its own protest over the “slanderous” comments on Thursday as well.

The Aichi prefecture-based television station issued an apology on  Friday for the “inappropriate contents” online and on air, bowing their head to Iwate prefecture and other areas affected by the March 11 disasters – specifically the farmers – and viewers. The company’s managing director of compliance was dispatched to Iwate Prefecture to apologize. A TV announcer soberly explained that “Mr. Cesium” does not exist and that the accident was the result of a bad joke gone even more badly wrong.

Following a preliminary investigation, the detailed unfolding of how the joke went live was explained in full by the company president in a notice published online later Friday. Before the genuine lottery winner was officially chosen, the head of computer graphics, a man in his 50s, had jokingly set up the fake graphic as a placeholder. Requests were made for the graphic to be changed, but somehow it slipped through and made it on air. The program has since been suspended pending a review of the show’s managerial and compliance systems.

If timing is everything in comedy, it was also a spectacular failure. Just a day earlier, the agriculture ministry announced the standards for cesium tests required for this year’s rice crop from 14 eastern prefectures, as discoveries of radiation-contaminated food continue to spread and fears mount.

Ohhhhh, I see.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1206 on: August 08, 2011, 04:02:59 AM

Corrections & Amplifications: A previous version of this article referred to a report that the TV station received 200,000 complaints without making it clear that the source of the report was a satirical publication. It’s unclear how many complaints the station received.

Now that's irony...  Ohhhhh, I see.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1207 on: May 17, 2012, 06:30:26 AM

I'm not really sure about the journalistic credentials of this website, but according to Naturalnews.com the Fukushima Daiichi situation has continued to slowly deteriorate to the point that Japanese officials are seriously considering evacuating mass numbers of people

So in an effort to establish contingency for the Japanese people in closest proximity to the fray, authorities are considering potentially relocating tens of millions of Japanese people to the Kuril Islands, which are located in Russia's Sakhalin Oblast region, or potentially even to China, where hundreds of uninhabited "ghost town" cities with no apparent use could house at least 64 million refugees. If this relocation were to occur, Japan would largely become a barren wasteland.

Here is a list of "facts" from the website regarding the Fukishima Daiichi disaster.

I'm a little disappointed that the media buzz around this has died.  I would like to think that this is all an attempt to drum up website hits, but if it isn't we are all a bit fucked, it seems.  Well more fucked. 

Mayan calendar 2012!

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1208 on: May 17, 2012, 06:38:02 AM

I doubt they'd be dropping the press off by bus right next to the building if it had any accuracy.

Goshi Hosono, Minister of the Environment and Minister in charge of the nuclear accident, will go with the press on the tour;

They will get off the bus right near the Reactor 4 building;

Hosono and the press representatives may go up the reactor building to see the reinforcement work beneath the Spent Fuel Pool, and go up to the top floors.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1209 on: May 17, 2012, 06:47:22 AM

That's comforting.  I think.  

Well, this part isn't: 
It's not that I am optimistic. No one knows what will happen if an earthquake with seismic intensity of 7 hits. But it's not just Unit 4 that is dangerous. They are all the same. They will start removing the spent fuel from Unit 4 in the fall of next year, but it hasn't been decided when the spent fuel in other Units will be removed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:00:00 AM by ghost »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: May 17, 2012, 03:02:37 PM

Sixth study in recent months links mercury in flu shots to brain damage, autism
Monday, March 28, 2011 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer
NC bill threatens to criminalize naturopaths, homeopaths, herbalists, midwives, aromatherapists as felons
Monday, April 04, 2011 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer
Hundreds of brave dentists speak out against water fluoridation
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer
Obama declares state governors will enforce health care bill whether they like it or not
Friday, March 04, 2011 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

"This gross violation of the law and the arrogant and threatening way it is being played out by the Obama administration perfectly illustrates why the states right now need to reassert their rightful authority over the out-of-control federal government."
Government raids, terrorizes Christian health ministry for not complying with unlawful demands
Monday, August 08, 2011 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

"Its aim was to rid the U.S. of any and all competition to the conventional cancer industry, which includes natural supplements that provide anti-cancer benefits."
Bill Gates, Monsanto, and eugenics: How one of the world's wealthiest men is actively promoting a corporate takeover of global agriculture
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

"William H. Gates Sr., former head of eugenics group Planned Parenthood"
New NASA research points to possible HAARP connection in Japan earthquake, tsunami
Friday, June 10, 2011 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

"Evidence that HAARP is not only capable of inducing earthquakes, but that it appears to have been used on Japan"

There is probably more, but the last one is making milk come out my nose, and I haven't drank any today except what I put in my coffee.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:47:59 PM by Sheepherder »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: May 20, 2012, 02:57:53 PM

Bedrock of vaccination theory crumbles as science reveals antibodies not necessary to fight viruses

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

This huff guy sure knows his stuff...

Hic sunt dracones.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1212 on: May 20, 2012, 04:01:20 PM

It sounds like the Onion.......  ACK!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:39 AM

Well, um, you're the one who posted from the site asking if it was credible. I'd kind of say the answer to that was evident without much legwork.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1214 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:27 PM

Well, um, you're the one who posted from the site asking if it was credible. I'd kind of say the answer to that was evident without much legwork.

awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked]  
Jump to: