Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked]  (Read 283066 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 11, 2011, 12:15:55 AM

So. 8.9 Earthquake. That's better than Twilight Princess.

That terrible joke out of the way, one of my friends who lives there is OK though his building swayed for like an hour or some shit. Sendai is basically destroyed. Oil refineries in Chiba are on fire. Shit might hit in places as far away as Hawaii.

Summation: The Pacific Ocean Hates Everyone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:21:58 AM

This should be in Gen Disc. There's nothing political about a country being ravaged by mother nature.

Edit: Yea, I just modded myself. So what.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 12:30:04 AM

My friends and family in Tokyo are fine. Still haven't heard anything from my peeps in Sendai yet...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:47:36 AM

Another massive quake is imminent under Honshu.

Oregon and California have tsunami warnings now.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:52 AM

Shit, that's a big one.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:55:14 AM

Wtf Pacific? WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? >:(

Also: "Based upon data from the Japan Meteorological Agency, it is estimated the town of Kurihara has been completely destroyed." Jesus.

Edit:

Oregon and California have tsunami warnings now.

Welp, glad I don't know anybody who lives on the coast I guess.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:58:42 AM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:58:47 AM

Al Jazeera English on YouTube Is Streaming Live.

There are a few videos where you can see people trying to drive away from the water. It's pretty  ACK!

-edit- How do you un-youtube the link?

Edit by Trippy: nm
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:08:57 AM by Trippy »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:36 AM

Yeh it's a bad one. Just saw a shot of Sendai Airport and it and the area were under a layer of mud from the Tsunami. That exploding oil refinery would be a massive story in it's own right.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:04:30 AM

http://jibtv.com/program/?page=0

This may also prove useful for info: Japanese info/news (in English) live stream about the situation.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 01:05:04 AM

Al Jazeera Live Stream

It's good coverage

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:17:21 AM

Hawaii is now not expecting a tsunami. I would assume the rest of the West coast of NA will get the same advisory soon.

Edit: oops that's wrong, the below advisory is from a local earthquake in Hawaii. That local earthquake is not expected to create a tsunami.

http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/index.php
http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=hawaii.2011.03.11.090127

SEHW70 PHEB 110901
EQIHWX

HIZ001>003-005>009-012>014-016>021-023>026-111101-

TSUNAMI SEISMIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NUMBER   1
NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI
1101 PM HST THU MAR 10 2011

TO - CIVIL DEFENSE IN THE STATE OF HAWAII

SUBJECT - LOCAL TSUNAMI INFORMATION

THIS STATEMENT IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ACTION REQUIRED.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 1058 PM HST 10 MAR 2011
   COORDINATES - 19.3 NORTH  155.0 WEST
   LOCATION    - ON THE SOUTH FLANK OF KILAUEA VOLCANO
   MAGNITUDE   - 4.6

EVALUATION

NO TSUNAMI IS EXPECTED. REPEAT. NO TSUNAMI IS EXPECTED.
 HOWEVER...SOME AREAS MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED SHAKING.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY STATEMENT ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED.
...SP...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:27:46 AM by Trippy »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:44:40 AM

Well, maybe the Mayans were right after all! In all honesty what caught my eye was reading that this might be the worst earthquake since 1900 or so. I also can't help wondering what larger effects this will have, mostly economically since everything is so damned interconnected now.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 01:46:52 AM

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 01:57:06 AM

That Oil Refinery just keeps getting worse and worse from the footage.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 02:00:45 AM

The Tsunami Warning Centre has upgraded the warning for the west coast of US; they are now expecting something to hit California-Oregon

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 02:51:39 AM

Now one of their reactors has declared a nuclear emergency! The cooling systems pumps are not pumping and they are using their fail-safe backups or something.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:07:55 AM

Hopes and prayers out to those affected. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 05:57:15 AM

Fucking tsunami just woke me up, people on east coast calling me.

I like within sight of the Pacific in Santa Cruz atm. I am on a hill. Its debatable.

Its really hard to gauge, what does a 4 foot swell mean you know? That seems to be the worst case scenario and it should be much less.

The areas of most concern, according to the National Weather Service, are the north end of Monterey Bay near the Santa Cruz harbor.

Annoying, that is basically where I live. May just go up a hill and watch this shit live, could be cool. I wish I had a video camera.

All coastal residents in the warning area who are near the beach or in low-lying regions should move immediately inland to higher ground and away from all harbors and inlets including those sheltered directly from the sea. Those feeling the earth shake, seeing unusual wave action, or the water level rising or receding may have only a few minutes before the tsunami arrival and should move immediately. Homes and small buildings are not designed to withstand tsunami impacts. Do not stay in these structures.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hawaii/detail?entry_id=84799#ixzz1GIeVvSuT 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:02:51 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 06:47:41 AM

Haha, yeah, I just got woken up by people calling in a panic about the Tsunami as well.  I'm currently staying at somebodies house in SF, on top of a hill, so I'm pretty sure I'm fine, heh.  If I wasn't lazy, I might try to go down to the coast and see if I can watch it come crasing in.

In more serious news, a very good friend of mine just recently moved back to Japan to teach English, and was living/working in Sendai at a high school.  On her facebook people are posting they've gotten through to her on the cell phone and she's ok (just doesn't have internet) but thats still shitty.  Sendai got the crap kicked out of it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 07:04:59 AM

Just mind blowing to think of the actual event under water that could push up such massive waves that they're still 4' high after traveling a third of the way around the world.

Then I chuckle about the hubris of 'man destroying the planet'. Mother Nature will shake us off like a bad case of the fleas (RIP Carlin).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 07:08:00 AM

Man destroying the planet has never been about man actually destroying the planet, just laying waste so we can't inhabit it.  It was packaged and marketed all wrong like most science.

Al-J has been covering the Brussels talks more than the earthquake right now.  Have there been any aftershocks yet?  With an 8.9 I've got to imagine there will be one in the high 5's or 6's at the least.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 07:12:44 AM

There were 6s and 7s through at least 3AM while I was talking to a friend in Japan. He was still getting aftershocks when I passed out.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:13 AM

One of the aerial-shot tsunami videos on BBC this morning was terrifying to watch--houses on fire and trucks being swept across farmland, the wave gets to a small cluster of houses and retail at a crossroads, and you can see people driving desperately to try and get away, only the thing is coming from almost all angles, so two of the cars drive away in one direction only to drive straight into the oncoming water in the other direction. It looked to me like one guy got offroad into the farmed land but then the helicopter turned away, so who knows whether he made it or not.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 07:43:18 AM

I'm ignoring this shit unless they say something about a wave next time.

Worst.
Tsunami.
Ever.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:49 AM

I'm very, very disappointed in all of you that I had to be the first one to post this.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 07:59:08 AM

I'm very, very disappointed in all of you that I had to be the first one to post this.

Because real people are dying?  Personally, I'm not surprised you were the first one to post it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 08:23:10 AM

The video on the news this morning was just horrifying, but the coverage was worse. They show these fantastically frightening pictures without any context to just how far inland the pics come from. I mean, are we talking 6 miles, 20 miles? Scale is so hard to judge from helicopter shots but all I can say is I'm glad I'm not on the coast of anything. Sendai is curbstomped. Prayers go out to the folks affected by this.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 08:23:32 AM

Man, all that heart and soul they put into rebuilding Sendai airport and now it's layed to ruin.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:42 AM

Watching some of that tsunami video is surreal.

Just proves the stuff you hear on the documentaries all the time that offshore quakes are more devestating than ones that are centered under land due to the tsunami.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 09:23:23 AM

The video on the news this morning was just horrifying, but the coverage was worse.

Rolling 24 hour news has a lot to answer for, the repeating small footage segments are marginally better than the on site reporter bit, with some dude who knows less than we do talking from somewhere nearby for absolutely no reason.  The channels all seem to play the same footage, I think the video has passed through so many hands by the time it reaches the screen they don't really know anything about it, except maybe a place name.

Really horrible to watch how helpless you are in this type of situation, wrong place at the wrong time and your escape options are very limited if you even have any.
WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 09:29:22 AM

Watching some of that tsunami video is surreal.

Just proves the stuff you hear on the documentaries all the time that offshore quakes are more devestating than ones that are centered under land due to the tsunami.

That is going to be Seattle someday soon. We are well overdue for a massive offshore quake. Hopefully it will hold off until I have long since shuffled off this mortal coil.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 09:31:12 AM

With your luck I'd say it's more likely to be the day you pay off your mortgage.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 09:42:51 AM

Oh god, you are right. Of course, I will probably still be underwater on the fucker until the last payment the way housing prices are going.

I really wish I would have heard about this quake/tsunami last night...I hate being at work where streaming video is taboo. Anyone have suggestions for good up to date text/photo updates?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 09:45:53 AM

The Guardian Website has a good liveblog: LINK

True to form, the Daily Mail asks the hard-hitting questions; Is the Japanese earthquake the latest natural disaster to have been caused by a 'supermoon'?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:53 AM

That is going to be Seattle someday soon. We are well overdue for a massive offshore quake. Hopefully it will hold off until I have long since shuffled off this mortal coil.

Nah, an offshore quake is not what Seattle has to worry about, it is the pyroclastic flow coming off Ranier when it finally blows. 

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Japan [Tag: Fucked]  
Jump to: