Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Alice.... what have you done?" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Alice.... what have you done?"  (Read 12254 times)
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 10:43:40 AM

Lakov's right, the Rainbow Brite comic lacks the combined childishness and audacity that the Strawberry Shortcake comic has.

The Strawberry Shortcake comic carries the analogy better, as a result.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 12:01:31 PM

I'm watching it be played on PC.  From the looks of it, it should play just fine on a console though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 03:39:49 PM

Snapped it up from Steam before they change their mind.  Will install tonight and see if it actually runs on my slightly venerable machine.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 10:11:49 AM

GRAAAAH, when you buy it on Steam you still have to activate it with the EA thing.  Son of a bitch.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 10:25:36 AM

GRAAAAH, when you buy it on Steam you still have to activate it with the EA thing.  Son of a bitch.

ACK!

Heartbreak

Mob
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #40 on: June 18, 2011, 02:00:50 PM

Pretty bad consoleitis too.  It's not unplayable like Dead Space was (lack of need for precise shooting thus far helps with that a lot), but the mouse is a bit wonky and it's not in any way configurable; bringing up the controls menu shows a picture of an XBox controller.  The game also doesn't always remember to hide the mouse pointer, which is annoying.

That said, I played it for a couple of hours this morning and had trouble tearing myself away.  So there's that.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 05:07:48 PM

My biggest gripe is the save system (or complete lack thereof).  The game autosaves at certain checkpoints (watch icon appears in the lower right), but otherwise does not save.  If you quit anywhere but just after it checkpoint saves, progress is lost.  There's no way to request a save.  The pacing of the checkpoints seems highly inconsistent.

Also, if you ever get stuck with the ranged weapon selected and you can't attack with your melee weapon, try pressing the 1 key.  That seems to fix it.  Annoying.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 06:11:44 AM

bringing up the controls menu shows a picture of an XBox controller

That's really  swamp poop.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 06:24:01 AM

Dev sloppiness aside, attempting to play 3D platformers on kb&m is a bad idea to begin with.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 10:37:40 AM

Dev sloppiness aside, attempting to play 3D platformers on kb&m is a bad idea to begin with.

I'm so terrible with thumbsticks that I do better with kb+m even in platformers.  The first Alice was PC-only and the platformer parts were pretty much identical.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 08, 2011, 04:24:31 PM

Currently playing this on PS3 and loving it. I played the original way back when, so I haven't checked out the HDified version that came as a free DLC yet, but the gameplay mechanics in Alice: Madness Returns are a lot more sophisticated and very neatly balanced. So far I'm really, really struggling to see why the reviews were so lacklustre; it's a beautiful game to behold (seriously, the only thing that holds a candle to it visually that's out now is Batman: Arkham Asylum), and it's near effortlessly smooth in play; combat can get tricksy due to a rather spastic target lock but most of the time it adds another aspect to the anarchy of combat. Speaking of which, combat is delicious. I may actually be in love with the Hobby Horse.

Gropey Shrink Flowers made my friend watching me play wide-eyed with wonder about just exactly what was going on in there.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 05:55:10 PM

bringing up the controls menu shows a picture of an XBox controller

That's really  swamp poop.

Just for this. I'm not buying this game. Fuck that. GTA IV was my first offender.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 06:15:00 PM

Most PC games that support Gamepads default to an Xbox 360 controller layout for gamepads at this point. Hell, when you press any button on a gamepad in Dead Space 2 while in a menu, all of the shortcuts switch to 360 buttons (B to cancel, etc). Any movement on the mouse or keyboard switches all the shortcut displays back to PC. It seemed really slick to me, rather than slapdash.

I don't think it's a bad thing. you're certainly able to change the keybindings for another gamepad if you want, but it's nice that the PC industry has adopted a 'default' gamepad that saves you some time if you are using the market leader gamepad.

I really loved Alice: Madness Returns when I started playing it, but the game runs way too long. There aren't any really natural stopping points in levels, so when those levels are 3+ hours long you really start to get tired of them. The game is gorgeous, but they really ought to have edited the levels down.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 05:57:19 PM

Does the 360 version come with the original as a bonus as well? And is it DLC or on the disc?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 06:39:14 PM

Just for this. I'm not buying this game. Fuck that. GTA IV was my first offender.

That's a bit cutting off your nose to spite your face... like many non-FPS PC games, Alice: Madness Returns supports controllers, of which the most popular these days is none other than the 360 wired controller.

Does the 360 version come with the original as a bonus as well? And is it DLC or on the disc?

Pretty sure all versions come with the Original as a bonus, but it's DLC. The redeemable code slip that came in my PS3 game case claimed it was good till 2022, so...

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 06:46:29 PM

It's the 'reward' for buying it new rather than used afaik. You need to get a copy with an unused code in it.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Alice.... what have you done?"  
Jump to: