Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:05:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Alice.... what have you done?" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Alice.... what have you done?"  (Read 12307 times)
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

on: March 05, 2011, 07:47:25 PM

Sorry if I somehow missed a thread about this game.  Anyway...

Wow, can't believe they are ressurecting this.  Apparantly American Mcgee is coming back to take the reins as well.  The original was one of the most unique games I have ever played.  I remember the first time I stepped away and when I came back, saw Alice cutting into herself and going, man I can't believe they put this into a game.  Thereafter I tried out all of the "idle" weaponry and was completely hooked.  This year is turning out go be fantastic for PC gaming.  I really can't remember the last time I preordered so many games and supposedly this one is due Q4.

I really can't wait for this title and I hope they stay true to the first one, since it did really feel like a journey through madness with the environments and "levels" feeling very much like a person trying to pick back up the pieces.  Anyway for those who are interested some links:

Official Web Site:
http://www.ea.com/alice

Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice:_Madness_Returns

American McGee's blog:
http://www.americanmcgee.com/wordpress/2010/07/27/alice-madness-returns-wired-com/

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:37:48 PM

Played the original. Had a good concept that the original material supports very well (Gothic / Dark / Psychological take) and amazing artwork I still use as screen backdrops. Even though the resolution isn't too impressive these days. But the gameplay was generic.

I expect pretty much the same, but with a console bent this time (including a trip into uncanny valley as they stress what an xbox can manage).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:06:16 PM

Really sick of "let's make that childhood memory DARK, EDGY and GRIMDARK" the game was just decent.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:41 PM

I'm not a fan of "let's do X... but DARK" for its own sake, but I thought Alice was fucking brilliant.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:05:43 AM

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:02:59 PM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:14:39 PM

Hawt.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:18:17 PM

Great - now Hallmark is going to give Schild a cease and desist....

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:01 PM

All these years and I'm not sure they've ever topped that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:12:53 PM

To be fair, it's hard to top lesbian BDSM.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:56:54 PM

I wonder if American McGee has every thought about doing a take on Wizard of Oz.    I could see a lot of potential there.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:47:29 PM

Not sure if that was supposed to be green text or not, but he worked on an Oz game that was cancelled pretty early on. There are screens and early videos running around the net.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:56:07 AM

Nope, not green text.  I did not know he had worked on an Oz game.  Kind of nifty.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 05:36:28 PM

So... this came out a couple days ago. Has anyone picked it up? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 05:45:26 PM

I really want to play this game, but I don't trust EA's downloader thingy.  Does the disc version have the herpes?  I might actually pick it up that way if it doesn't make me install Starforce and/or EA's downloader.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 06:26:32 PM

I might get this title despite middling reviews because 1) it looks interesting and 2) the full version apparently comes with the original game as well. Never played the first Alice, wanted to, so this is a good way to pick it up.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 08:27:46 PM

/obligatory

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:34 PM

Needs AM's My Little Ponies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:38 PM

I was really disappointed in that rainbow brite comic. Nothing about it is really edgy besides the little bloody white thing. She's just a curvy adult now. it's as though they were really hoping to not offend anyone.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 12:00:09 AM

Would have bought it when it comes on Steam, especially when bundled with the original one.

Not interested enough to hunt down or import a boxed copy, though.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 12:04:18 AM

I was really disappointed in that rainbow brite comic. Nothing about it is really edgy besides the little bloody white thing. She's just a curvy adult now. it's as though they were really hoping to not offend anyone.

They should be "adult" and "edgy" like Duke, amirite?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:52 AM

They should be "adult" and "edgy" like Duke, amirite?

Don't go full retard.

The whole point of the two comics is to make fun of games like alice taking something nice and turning it dark and edgy, if you don't actually make the cartoon look either dark or edgy, you're sort of not making a joke anymore.  Compare the rainbow brite one to the strawberry shortcake above, one is a clear parody of american mcgee, the other might as well be someone's deviantart page fanart.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 01:45:03 AM

I think you're getting bent out of shape about nothing. Further, you're missing the joke. The second one doesn't need to be "edgy" as its humour is derived from the relationship/reference to the earlier cartoon. You're coming off as whining because it's not grimdark enough when it simply doesnt make a difference.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 05:05:16 AM

Ars Technica has a review up that says it has decent platforming mechanics but is god awful repetitive and tedious.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 06:08:20 AM

I'm saying penny arcade has gone downhill, I wasn't aware such a stance was controversial.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 06:22:20 AM

I'm saying penny arcade has gone downhill, I wasn't aware such a stance was controversial.
Mob

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 06:33:20 AM

And Azazel seems to be saying that you probably need to base such a statement on something more definitive than your impression of what you think PA 'should have done' when revisiting a 6 year old comic theme.

"What!  It's only got some bloody slavering beast starting at Rainbow Brite's ass?  Why, that's hardly offensive to me personally at all.  Boy they sure do suck these days!"

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 07:02:24 AM

It's a half assed attempt at the same joke, that it's not completely obvious is mind-boggling.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 07:11:13 AM

It's a half assed attempt at the same joke, that it's not completely obvious is mind-boggling.

You are clearly into the old man get off my lawn totally disconnected with reality phase.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 07:13:15 AM

You're all fucking nutters for arguing over Rainbow Brite.   swamp poop
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 07:57:24 AM

To the topic at hand... Alice is hawt.  Especially in the second area.  I'm tempted to do a Halloween costume of that outfit.

The visuals are awesome.  When she dodges she bursts into a swarm of butterflies that reform at her location.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:18 AM

To be fair, it's hard to top lesbian BDSM.
Probably harder to bottom it, imo.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:55 AM

Rimshot

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 10:28:29 AM

Woo, now it is on Steam. Where could one get the original one or isn't it needed storywise?
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 10:34:51 AM

To the topic at hand... Alice is hawt.  Especially in the second area.  I'm tempted to do a Halloween costume of that outfit.

The visuals are awesome.  When she dodges she bursts into a swarm of butterflies that reform at her location.
Are you playing it on console or PC? I think I might check it out for a day or two first if I can find it in a RedBox.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: "Alice.... what have you done?"  
Jump to: