Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: What went right. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What went right.  (Read 110077 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 14, 2011, 11:59:33 AM

Just announced: coin lock, if you login from an ip far from yours it locks your coin until you authorize it via email.  Simple and elegant, took four weeks to come up and its already better than anything wow has thought up.

nice, but does it count for selling/destroying items?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:33 PM

Even if you sell the items, what purpose does that serve if they can't touch your coin? Someone could maliciously vendor all your gear, but what would be the point if they can't do anything with your gold?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 14, 2011, 12:48:53 PM

Hrrm. If someone has hacked your game account, they can use the same login info to access your main account and change the email address to which the ip lock notifications are sent. System remains vulnerable unless, of course, you first have to confirm the email address change from the original email address.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:41 PM

Well it doesn't help the player much if all their stuff is gone, even if the cash equivilent is there.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 01:05:43 PM

Hrrm. If someone has hacked your game account, they can use the same login info to access your main account and change the email address to which the ip lock notifications are sent. System remains vulnerable unless, of course, you first have to confirm the email address change from the original email address.

That's how every email change system i've ever had to use has worked.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 02:02:15 PM

Well it doesn't help the player much if all their stuff is gone, even if the cash equivilent is there.
The people doing this aren't doing it to be dickheads, they're doing it to make money by selling gold. If they can't come up with some way to get value out of the account, I don't see why they would just vendor shit for the fun of it.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:01 PM

From the post on the forums:

Coin Lock

Users will be coin locked if they log in from a significantly different location. When their account is coin locked, they will be sent an email to the address that they have on their account (their login email) with a code to enter into the game.

Users will see the Coin Locked icon in the spot where their tutorial button shows up. Deactivating the tutorial tips will not turn off the Coin Locked button.

While in a Coin Locked status, users will have the following limitations:
• No access to the auction house
• No ability to SEND mail. Users can still receive and view mail as well as remove items from mail
• No ability to SELL to vendors. Users can still purchase items from vendors
• No ability to salvage, runebreak or destroy items
• No ability to trade
• Users can continue to play and gain coin and items, but cannot get rid of them.

If you are Coin Locked, simply click on the Coin Locked icon and enter the code found in your email from Trion.

If you log in and your account is coin locked, check your email! Someone may have logged in from another location with your account.

If you do not receive the email, please click on the Coin Locked icon and click the “Resend” button to have the email resent to you.

If you cannot access your email or you are otherwise unable to change your Coin Locked status, please contact Customer Service.

We're also working on the addition of two-factor authentication at the login level, which will let you use an app or a cell phone as a way to ensure that you're the one logging on. (You may have heard of this in other products as a SecurID or an Authenticator.) We'll be sharing specifics on that as soon as we can as well.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 03:05:57 PM

That's actually very nice, and something I hope Blizz rips off soon.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 14, 2011, 03:20:01 PM

It won't help when they just log into your e-mail to grab the unlock code since I'm sure >90% of people use the same password for both. Blizzard already does something similar with the dial-in authenticator. When an unusual IP tries to log-in it locks the whole account until you dial an 800 number from a pre-designated phone.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:56 PM

Well you can't just code away stupid, the gold sellers are going to win sometimes.

I am the .00000001428%
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 15, 2011, 07:45:28 PM

If you're not on a PvP server, you're doing it wrong.  Having been playing in Scarwood Whatever-the-fuck (level 30-36 zone) for a while now, I've had the most fun in an MMORPG since DAOC, and it all boils down to rifts and PvP keeping things unpredictable and exciting.  The emergent factor where both teams are trying to complete objectives and take down the big bad boss at the end of an invasion is simply an unmatched experience in MMORPGs.  And it's a good thing too, because the questing otherwise is rather terrible, the dungeons are nothing special, and warfronts while fun are a straight WoW rip.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #81 on: March 15, 2011, 08:01:50 PM

I pretty much disagree with everything you just said.

Oh, and if you aren't playing with a tazer hooked to your nuts, you're doing it wrong.  Go ahead, give it a try.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 15, 2011, 09:31:09 PM

That's awesome!  Obviously you have a different criterion for fun than I do.

For myself, well I already tried playing with a tazer hooked up to my nuts.  It's called trying to grind to 50 through terribly bland quest content and predictable dungeon crawls.  But one man's nut tazer is another man's....um, nut caresser?

Have fun with your uninterrupted theme park experience if that's what you so desire.  For others that enjoyed any kind of emergent PvP content in the past, especially DAOC, I would definitely try out a PvP server, because it's hot stuff in this game.  Far superior to WoW PvP servers which basically were just PvE + random ganking.  Of course that exists to a small extent in RIFT, but much more often you get group vs group battles with both sides meeting up at rifts/invasions.  And then the fun really begins.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:33:15 PM by trias_e »
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #83 on: March 15, 2011, 10:59:11 PM

If you're not on a PvP server, you're doing it wrong.
That's awesome!  Obviously you have a different criterion for fun than I do.

You're a perfect gem.  Never change.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 15, 2011, 11:54:46 PM

Oh no, it's a hyperbolic statement on the internet!   Ohhhhh, I see.

But even sans hyperbole, my statement holds for anyone who has any possible inclination to enjoy world PvP.  If you didn't try a RIFT PvP server, you did it wrong.  If you hate PvP no matter what, then by all means, play on a PvE server.  

Just curious, did you actually play on a RIFT PvP server, or are you extrapolating from other games?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #85 on: March 15, 2011, 11:58:33 PM

This is fascinating. And you do sound like an asshole, but that just might be how you communicate.

The PVE in this game isn't all bad.  I have enough to do with Rifts and invasions that I have a hard enough time getting through the content given a limited playing time.  I like those events enough that I'll often hang around Silverwood if it looks like they need a tank.

ANYHOOO, rerolled my mangled spec rogue, who was only lvl 10.  A couple hours of wasted time was worth throwing away for.. the Carlton dance.  So +1 for Rift, first time I've ever rerolled for a dance.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:03:08 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 16, 2011, 06:22:31 AM

He just sounds as much as an asshole as you are by calling him an asshole.  Ohhhhh, I see.

But hey it's F13.

He's right though.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 16, 2011, 06:27:25 AM

If you didn't try a RIFT PvP server, you did it wrong.  

When PvP gets fixed to a point that the game is playable, I'll gladly roll on a PvP server. 

Just for interest, what are you playing as your main?  I'm going to guess that you're having so much fun because you're playing a warrior or a rogue. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 16, 2011, 08:00:58 AM

How do you get the Carlton dance?  When I played the only thing I ever saw was the stoned trance dance.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: March 16, 2011, 08:12:34 AM

You may like pvp and regardless of whether you do or not, the pvp in this game is a joke. The outdoor bosses and rifts give an excuse for pvp that other games don't have so yes rift encourages pvp better than most games. The pvp itself however, is still shite.

I'm an asshole and proud of it.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #90 on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:38 AM

How do you get the Carlton dance?  When I played the only thing I ever saw was the stoned trance dance.

Mathosian male.

-Rasix
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 16, 2011, 09:28:54 AM

If you didn't try a RIFT PvP server, you did it wrong.  

When PvP gets fixed to a point that the game is playable, I'll gladly roll on a PvP server.  

Just for interest, what are you playing as your main?  I'm going to guess that you're having so much fun because you're playing a warrior or a rogue.  

I'm a mage.

Some things to consider:

1)  You need to be respeccing to find things that work.  Not every spec is going to be good, and if you get absolutely rolled you need to consider trying other specs out.  If healers are seriously bothering you, make your PvP spec involve heavy dominator to mana drain and silence them.  If melees are bothering you, Pyro/Dom can make them a laughing stock with a ton of CC and good damage.  Tweaking your PvP and PvE specs is for me quite a bit of fun, but understandably not what everyone signed up for.  Still, try respeccing if you are having an absolutely terrible time in PvP.

2)  Some specs are terrible.  Stormcaller and Elementalist are pretty much worthless for a mage in most PvP situations (and honestly they are just poorly designed trees overall), and Pyro/Dom/Lock are really the only 3 trees that I think are good for a variety of PvP situations for mages.

3)  Despite the above, the game is definitely in a state of imbalance when it comes to PvP with Warriors and Rogues overpowered.  But it's not absolutely hopeless.  I posted a video of Pyromancer PvP of myself doing fairly well in what is considered a very weak level bracket for mages.  Finally, even with imbalance, in world group PvP the class imbalance really doesn't effect you as much as it does in a 1v1 gank situation, which so far my game experience has been fairly clean of.  Mages in particular might kind of suck 1v1 and have crappy survivability, but they can lay down some nasty ranged AE on the enemy population when they are engaging rifts, forcing them to either disengage the rift or take a ton of damage.  Laying down upgraded Radiant Spores and then AE DOTting on my 32 lock/14 chloro can be pretty ridiculous.

The game's PvP has a ton of problems, but I think those problems are actually minimized in a world PvP setting where ranged classes are naturally stronger.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:35:18 AM by trias_e »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 16, 2011, 10:08:12 AM

1)  You need to be respeccing to find things that work.  Not every spec is going to be good, and if you get absolutely rolled you need to consider trying other specs out.  If healers are seriously bothering you, make your PvP spec involve heavy dominator to mana drain and silence them.  If melees are bothering you, Pyro/Dom can make them a laughing stock with a ton of CC and good damage.  Tweaking your PvP and PvE specs is for me quite a bit of fun, but understandably not what everyone signed up for.  Still, try respeccing if you are having an absolutely terrible time in PvP.

2)  Some specs are terrible.  Stormcaller and Elementalist are pretty much worthless for a mage in most PvP situations (and honestly they are just poorly designed trees overall), and Pyro/Dom/Lock are really the only 3 trees that I think are good for a variety of PvP situations for mages.

3)  Despite the above, the game is definitely in a state of imbalance when it comes to PvP with Warriors and Rogues overpowered.  But it's not absolutely hopeless.  I posted a video of Pyromancer PvP of myself doing fairly well in what is considered a very weak level bracket for mages.  Finally, even with imbalance, in world group PvP the class imbalance really doesn't effect you as much as it does in a 1v1 gank situation, which so far my game experience has been fairly clean of.  Mages in particular might kind of suck 1v1 and have crappy survivability, but they can lay down some nasty ranged AE on the enemy population when they are engaging rifts, forcing them to either disengage the rift or take a ton of damage.  Laying down upgraded Radiant Spores and then AE DOTting on my 32 lock/14 chloro can be pretty ridiculous.

The game's PvP has a ton of problems, but I think those problems are actually minimized in a world PvP setting where ranged classes are naturally stronger.

I agree with all 3 points.  Having played PvP MMO's for as long as there have been PvP MMOs, I looked at the trees carefully.  I give preference to instas and counters.  DoTs suck in this game and don't scale well rendering warlock pretty worthless.  Being successful on a Pyro almost demands that you play against bad teams.  Melee have too many ways to close the gap quickly and/or mana drain casters to a point where their effectiveness is limited.  Right now, I see casters as heal/cc support classes.  If you want to DPS, warrior (and maybe rogue) are the only choices.  Perhaps people are just adjusting to the paradigm shift.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 16, 2011, 10:24:11 AM

Mathosian male.
Oh, rerolled, not respeced.  Gotcha.  I was confused.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:06 AM

Right now, I see casters as heal/cc support classes.  If you want to DPS, warrior (and maybe rogue) are the only choices. 

I always thought that's what those classes were for. Why is this a bad thing?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:05 AM

It's not... that's why I stated:

Perhaps people are just adjusting to the paradigm shift.

-  Mark Twain
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 16, 2011, 11:34:43 AM

Of course that exists to a small extent in RIFT, but much more often you get group vs group battles with both sides meeting up at rifts/invasions.  And then the fun really begins.

Just wait for raid rifts and cock blocking people from rewards and having them do the same...that really is fun and brings some interesting competition to them since the good rewards (not the contribution rewards) are bound to the group/raid that initiated the raid/expert rift.

I give preference to instas and counters. 

I do too, and am learning that certain mage specs work really well in pvp with cast times as they can have the highest 5 second burst with some specs. Also, fuck dominator + sabo combos when I don't have a someone dispelling. Just go pair up with a sabo with your +50% damage on next damaging ability to your poly'd target and watch the squirrel die....instantly
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 16, 2011, 11:45:51 AM

Right now, I see casters as heal/cc support classes.  If you want to DPS, warrior (and maybe rogue) are the only choices. 

It seems weird to me that in a game which allows more classes to fill more roles, that they would limit clerics and mages to just the heal and support roles in PvP.  So, it's a bad thing because it seems to throw out their philosophy that any class can fill any role.

The only way it makes sense to me is if it's Trion's stance that ranged dps is just too strong in PvP in these types of games when they are also amongst the highest dps, so they're consciously making the ranged classes do less damage... then I'd have to say, "ok, why don't mages have a melee class, and why are none of the cleric melee classes built for dps"?
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 16, 2011, 12:06:04 PM

It seems weird to me that in a game which allows more classes to fill more roles, that they would limit clerics and mages to just the heal and support roles in PvP.  So, it's a bad thing because it seems to throw out their philosophy that any class can fill any role.

What warrior class can do healing? The back of the manual doesn't list every class as being able to do every thing. Bard's are very much a AoE support healer - as part of a TEAM they work very well, but you still would want a primary direct healer as well, and I don't think warlord's heal much at all?

All classes can SUPPORT each other, but a balanced team of warriors+rogues+clerics+mages should beat a team of only 1 or 2 classes in return.

Though I do think an army of Bard's would be hilarious.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 16, 2011, 12:50:04 PM

Does the back of manual say "casters are intended to fill heal/support roles in PvP, they are not intended to be primary PvP DPS"?  Has Trion said this somewhere else?  I didn't follow this game at all prior to f13 buzzing about it, so I honestly don't know.

Rift has rogues, clerics, mages and warriors that can do support healing, mages and clerics that can do primary healing, clerics, rogues and warriors that can tank and virtually every class can do PvE dps (maybe not clerics?).  If after all that effort to accommodate most classes being able to fill multiple roles in PvE, casters are intended to only fill heal/support roles in PvP... well that just seems swamp poop
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 16, 2011, 12:56:13 PM

Warriors can't heal. Self healing on a couple souls with support and hp buffs but no actual healing.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:47 PM

Does the back of manual say "casters are intended to fill heal/support roles in PvP, they are not intended to be primary PvP DPS"?  Has Trion said this somewhere else?  I didn't follow this game at all prior to f13 buzzing about it, so I honestly don't know.

Rogues can DPS Melee/Ranged and heal/support but are not intended to be primary PvP healing.
Warriors can DPS Melee  and support but are not intended to be primary PvP healing/support.

Can Warriors be better than Mages or Rogues at ranged combat? I didn't think they could. And I think Cleric's can do everything.

The back of the manual lists all the souls and clearly shows some are better than at others at DPS/Tank/Heal/Control/Support.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 16, 2011, 02:59:56 PM

What they didn't do was make a Warhammer 'Bright Wizard' equivalent. I remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forums around the insanity of the damaging ability of the Bright Wizard in PvP. I *like* that gave melee/physical damage classes something better than standard because in all other PvP MMO's I've played, being a melee warrior meant living in a pit of shame. At least in RIFT they're viable. And I'm playing a mage as my main in RIFT and having a ball despite not having the flaming ejaculations of an super-powered glass cannon.

Love the idea of the sabo+dom combo attack, BTW. +1 for coordinating attacks with even 1 other player...

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 21, 2011, 07:30:46 AM

If you're not on a PvP server, you're doing it wrong.  Having been playing in Scarwood Whatever-the-fuck (level 30-36 zone) for a while now, I've had the most fun in an MMORPG since DAOC, and it all boils down to rifts and PvP keeping things unpredictable and exciting.  The emergent factor where both teams are trying to complete objectives and take down the big bad boss at the end of an invasion is simply an unmatched experience in MMORPGs.  And it's a good thing too, because the questing otherwise is rather terrible, the dungeons are nothing special, and warfronts while fun are a straight WoW rip.

On Sunrest, there's a defiant guild that kills guardians during these rift boss events, which makes this guild hated by everyone (including some defiants).  I guess they enjoy going around with an outlaw type label that says "kill me on sight."  Annoying as they are, they are part of what makes Rift incredibly fun for me.  There are anti-pk type guilds as well.

I found that Scarlet Gorge and Scarlet Reach had a great deal of pvp; Moonshade/Droughtlands/Iron Pine Peaks has had more cooperation on rift bosses - that could be due to me taking a few days off the game, so I'm leveling with a different crowd now, too.  I'm not sure.

But yeah, pvp server is making me very happy, despite me hating to be ganked and refusing to gank (except Acolytes who I will kill no matter the level whenever I see them).

Edited to add: I play a ranger/bard mostly, which is not a good pvp spec, and I end up getting owned by people levels lower than me sometimes.  I am also not great at pvp.  I've been ganked a few times, camped only once.  It's not as prevalent as I feared it would be.  Most of the pvp has been really fun.  Closest thing to DAOC rvr I've seen in a game since.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:35:57 AM by Xanthippe »
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 21, 2011, 10:34:29 AM

Birdsongs.  Nice ambient sounds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: What went right.  
Jump to: