Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Soul opinions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soul opinions  (Read 126882 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: June 06, 2011, 12:08:52 PM

Justicars are absolutely hilarious.  Clerics may be a bit boring at low levels but goddamn, this soul is damn near unkillable.

Downside is that it takes them a year to kill anything.  I think that's why I prefer my mage over my cleric.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: June 06, 2011, 12:28:24 PM

I dunno, I took shaman to jolt, then druid, and put a couple of points into justicar to get the self-heal. It's not lightning fast, but I kill at least as fast as my riftblade warrior and with no drinking or dying.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: June 06, 2011, 12:43:41 PM

I did Justicar on my druid as main starting off.  I don't advise it.  It is definitely harder than hell to kill, but is really boring and takes forever to kill things.

Perhaps it is a good soul to use later towards 50 when you can evenly balance it with another, but you don't want it for the lvl climb.  It is definitely worth looking at for a tank or off-tank soul at any level.  I'm using 3 roles; dps, tank, heals.

I've settled on a mix of Druid and Shaman for DPS right now.  Seems to work quite well.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: June 06, 2011, 12:47:24 PM

Shaman/Druid with whatever 3rd soul for healing is a beast for leveling.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: June 06, 2011, 01:19:51 PM

I tried the melee cleric builds and found them surprisingly squishy when compared to my necro/lock at any similar level with the added bonus of being way slower. In my 20s I got tired of dying to caster clerics in WFs and decided to out a caster. That was a game changer. With the right spec it was like playing a cross between my necro and a tank warrior and things died fast. like Inquisitor/Justicar/Sentinel starting at 31.

Vex the crap out of as many as you want. Find a tree to hide behind to LoS casters. Soul Drain, Circle, Circle, Soul Drain then use your instant cast macro to finish off anything left standing. Repeat. Add Reparation for more healing. Occasionally fight a mob solo for Aggressive Renewal mana and call it a day. I like Sentinel for 20% more crit (Walk in the Light) and another instant cast DD (Life's Vengence), but the bubble in Purifier is handy early on. Past the 11 points in Justicar and the 10 in Sentinel, I just filled out Inquisitor in ways that fit how I like to play.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #250 on: June 06, 2011, 03:11:22 PM

I heart my justicar/druid/I forget cleric. He's a giant goon.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #251 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:52 AM

Guess I should move the soul talk into the proper thread :)

For clerics, my favorite would probably something like this: 42 Shaman/14 Justicar/10 Sentinel, though I'd have to learn what's been nerfed since beta to really get a handle on it (for instance, Justicar's Salvation used to be much more synergistic). Drae likes them Druid heavy, I like them Shaman heavy.

Looking at Inq, wow they gutted that soul. Might be good now, but it's really taken some shots since beta, especially beta 1 weekend. Making Life & Death Concord put a 10s CD on BoD? Youch.

One thing that really bothers me about Rift is how many nerfs they put into the game due to pvp. But people here seem to love pvp, so maybe I'm just ont the core audience.

Anyway, to pick up on where I left off in the 1.3 thread, last night I was playing a Ranger/Marksman/Sab that was a lot of lowbie fun. So I was thinking something like 32 Ranger/34 Marksman/0 Sab or maybe evolve it into 31 Ranger/18 Marksman/17 Assassin to crank up the crits. Or maybe just go into something like 32 Assassin/18 Bard/16 Riftstalker.

Yeah, ap is freaking useless.  It is kinda depressing that to max my dps i should be wearing leather on my warrior.  I refuse to do it.
By design. Rather than put in a wide variety of plate, they wanted warriors to use leather for squeezing out the dps. Not saying I agree with it, but that was what the developer intended.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:54:16 AM by Sky »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: June 23, 2011, 09:49:33 AM

Why do you need a wide variety of sets? all you need is a tanking and a dps set.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: June 23, 2011, 09:52:46 AM

For fun? Hadn't even thought of a tanking rogue.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:56 AM

My Rogue has 4 sets right now:

Solo Grinding: Bladedancer/Assassin/Riftstalker (Bladedancer face smashing + Assassin passives + Riftstalker HP regen and teleport)

Tank: Riftstalker/Bard/Ranger

Support: Bard/Ranger/Nightblade

Ranged PvE: Saboteur (just got this slot...still experimenting)

Someday I'll make my 5th slot for PvP.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: June 24, 2011, 07:29:46 AM

I have 5 Sets right now:

Dungeon/Raid DPS - Sab/Asn/BD
PVE 51pt Bard
Solo: Impale Assassn/BD something like 34/32
Random slot for a second DPS slot for testing builds.
PVP spec (I hardly PVP)

I love having a Vampire sourcestone (purple one from Stillmoor vendor), Leeching Poison, Lost Hope trinket (chance to proc heals from expert RD) and Fang of the Life Lord.  I don't need any of the healing from RS.

And Sky, Ranger/Asn/MM or Bard or Sabo is excellent fun for low and mid level Rogue fun.  Sabo's are awesome these days.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: June 24, 2011, 08:19:51 AM

Played the Assassin melee-based newb for a while and it's a lot of fun but if you don't get the big damage spike, he's going to have a tough fight (and it sucks when the game gives you set pieces you can't set up ahead of time). Also gets a bit boring vs the ranger/mm/sab who can do a few different things with the charges or straight arrowman.

Also rolled a warrior that I was playing champ/bm and wasn't sure what to do for the third. Many of the warrior trees seem either self-dependent or forced synergy (like paladin/warlord/vk look great together..for defense). I liked reaver/paladin in beta, but wanted something different. Took paladin but don't plan on spending anything in it, none of the other low hanging fruit looked any better. Also shocked how quickly she gets slammed when a second opponent steps in, I remember it being slightly easier to take on multiple opponents, but that might be due to reaver/paladin more than warrior, yeah?

Might try some of the other mage souls, I got a lot of necrolock in testing but didn't play the others because it was during the very restricted soul period. How are they currently unlocked, could I have most/all by 20?

I haven't gotten anyone into the teens yet, not really feeling anything in particular, though so far the ranger/mm/sab has been the most fun. I guess I really want to be able to switch between a lot more on the fly and not be restricted in playing with different builds, something I didn't care for in the beta.

But since the $10 didn't include a free month  Ohhhhh, I see. I'm going to push through and play /something/ even if it's bouncing between multiple characters for a couple weeks. Also still torn between the remnants of BC on guardian side and playing the awesome defiants  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: June 24, 2011, 08:25:18 AM

Gotta go with Riftblade for the newb warrior I think.  Only soul with a useful 0pt ability outside of Champ/BM.  It's got a weapon buff.  Damage on crit or something.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #258 on: June 24, 2011, 08:29:26 AM

Might try some of the other mage souls, I got a lot of necrolock in testing but didn't play the others because it was during the very restricted soul period. How are they currently unlocked, could I have most/all by 20?

Heh, I usually have all souls unlocked before lvl 15.  It's the first thing I do after hitting 13.  Easy enough to unlock a few during a zone invasion (still happens enough in Silverwood) or just go stomp down a rift on your own.  You can always let it time out before hitting stage 5 (usually not a choice with cleric  awesome, for real), and you won't have to fight the elite.

I don't think you get a real feel for a class until you're out of Silverwood.  Well, except if you look at the shaman line, not a very exciting future.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: June 24, 2011, 08:36:40 AM

Shamans get the super awesome charge like Champs, though! I'm partial to Shamans....so probably a bit biased toward them. Again, want to go with something different, even though I really do like clerics.

Drae, forgot about Storm Blade. Good call, was my third with reaver/paladin due to that.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:50 AM

So, finally got my cleric to 50. Don't feel comfortable healing yet, so que'd up for the gigantic wait as DPS. From what I had read, this 31 druid, 24 shaman, 11 inquisitor build is where it's at.

It's a one button wonder. There is some question about the organization of the macro, but here it is:

It's kind of ridiculous. ACT had me at 550 DPS reliably. Some fights spiked up to 750 with lucky crits. All this with the R1 pvp weapon/gear. Everything else is leveling blues. I have a set of lvl 35 pants, low 40s stuff from Lantern Hook/Droughtlands and the ring from the first world event.

That macro for all its apparent randomness (ie why is Jolt down at the bottom below Vex?) works very well. It does not waste GCDs. Vex only winds up on mobs when I'm not in melee. Even with Fae Hammer getting blown very early in most fights, I never run out of mana. I do have Ageless Ice from the shaman tree for when I AoE trash.

One thing to be careful of is the pet stuff in the macro. I managed to pull an extra group because my pet went hairing off after a fight was done and I tabbed to a different group.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: June 25, 2011, 09:41:55 AM

That sounds like a fun game to play.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #262 on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:04 AM

Exactly half of what I despise about this current generation of MMOs is in the spoiler tag.  The other half is the monotony of pick quest, find on map, kill 10, return.  This shit needs to change. 

Rasix

Reply #263 on: June 25, 2011, 09:59:27 AM

Why is all of the stuff that's off the GCD down at the bottom?  Head scratch

-Rasix
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: June 25, 2011, 10:49:03 AM

Because they are off the cooldown.

Its some mildly clever thinking about the cool down. Its a way to get more damage out faster. GCD abilities logically have to follow the cool down. So if your macro prioritises the GCD, they will fire off on a button press if available. But if the GCD is in process, you can slot in the off GCD things to get something done during that second and a half.

Exactly half of what I despise about this current generation of MMOs is in the spoiler tag.

I'm kind of on the fence on this. How different is a one button macro from something like Diablo or any of the other action RPGs out there? Even the more RPG focused real time games generally give you the option of maybe 4 things to do and the answer to most of those is keep them on cooldown.

Then as a someone who actually likes to play with other people, I appreciate when it's relatively easy for everyone to pull their own weight. That particular macro is actually really optimized, but the difference between it and a list everything by cool down is slight. A macro like that means your friend who has trouble DPSing and not standing in the fire only has to pay attention to not standing in the fire, the game manages the DPS portion for them.

It does get kind of boring though when my only real choice is which finger to hit the 1 key with.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: June 25, 2011, 11:49:07 AM

I think the macroing system is one of the best things about Rift.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

Reply #266 on: June 25, 2011, 11:51:11 AM

Because they are off the cooldown.

Its some mildly clever thinking about the cool down. Its a way to get more damage out faster. GCD abilities logically have to follow the cool down. So if your macro prioritises the GCD, they will fire off on a button press if available. But if the GCD is in process, you can slot in the off GCD things to get something done during that second and a half.

Ahh, that does make a good deal of sense.  Don't want to even slightly delay taking up the GCD on something that's on it.  Thanks.

-Rasix
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #267 on: June 25, 2011, 12:36:53 PM

I'm kind of on the fence on this. How different is a one button macro from something like Diablo or any of the other action RPGs out there? Even the more RPG focused real time games generally give you the option of maybe 4 things to do and the answer to most of those is keep them on cooldown.

Then as a someone who actually likes to play with other people, I appreciate when it's relatively easy for everyone to pull their own weight. That particular macro is actually really optimized, but the difference between it and a list everything by cool down is slight. A macro like that means your friend who has trouble DPSing and not standing in the fire only has to pay attention to not standing in the fire, the game manages the DPS portion for them.

It does get kind of boring though when my only real choice is which finger to hit the 1 key with.

That's my point - if you've created 15 abilities that all do damage by pressing the same button over and over, why not just create one ability that does damage on a shorter cooldown?  The sheer amount of abilities in Rift or WoW is silly.  GW had it about right with eight abilities you take with you.  Pick some for the rotation and others for situation.  

But hey, its working for some folks and they like it.  It just doesn't work for me.  The ability management is what drove me off Rift, ultimately.  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:03:03 PM by Hawkbit »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: June 25, 2011, 01:09:51 PM

As long as there is a reason for the multiple abilities, like this one adds to crit or that one debuffs or whatever, I don't mind micromanaging a few hotbars of abilities. I'd rather do that in a sub-optimal fashion than just hit a macro (probably lifted from a website telling you the proper way to play).

But stuff like that is also why I stay out of raiding, people can get demandy about you playing the 'right way'.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: June 27, 2011, 06:27:25 AM

You rebel you.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: July 18, 2011, 09:05:04 AM

Dicking around with my mage I've been using as a gatherer for my craftards.

Main solo setup is this one. I am also running a chloro build for dungeons that's worked out ok so far (mostly all chloro with a little warlock until I tweak it properly). After running IT a couple times, I was thinking about setting up the necro pet the way I set up the tank with Synthesis. I tried it last night (this build), once I got enough points to get my better pet (zam's builder is out of date, the rogue pet talent is different in game) and Synthesis. Though on testing, apparently life bound veil is better when synthesis is cast on the tank? Whatever, I tried both veils and the setup just was nowhere near as durable.

I thought it was odd that healing seemed much less of a problem with the necrolock build. I can only guess that the enhance charge building, speed of casting and mobility combined with Soul Purge is just too strong a setup. My MO with regular mobs is just tag the highest HP mob with Essence Link and maybe Spores for the pet to beat on and then I grab one to three other mobs and Necrosis/Dark Touch them. All that is instants, so very mobile. At that point I can pass around some Spores to the DoTed mobs to keep moving (phytogenesis would be nice here) or pick a spot and start blasting with Plague Bolt until I need to Soul Purge.

I pretty much never even have to use mana recovery at level 25 or whatever I am now.

Really, if you want to zomgdps, go rogue. The necrolock is amazingly survivable and the chloromancer has nice utility in a group, but my marksman/ranger/assassin rogue with the world event gun is retardedly OP compared to every other build I've tried across callings. The necrolock is a great soloer, but a bit slow to the markrangass (or whatever its called), and the kiting isn't as good...but then it doesn't really need to be. I originally had FD in the necrolock build but took it out because I used it so rarely.

Actually getting into Rift again brings home how restrictive TOR's classes seem to be. It's going to really chafe being stuck in a single role vs switching from dps to healer on the fly, or even just different dps builds for different situations. The soul/role system is just so damned good.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: July 18, 2011, 01:18:31 PM

If you want to dps, be anything but a mage.  While mage ae dps is pretty competitive, a rogue/tank/cleric can out dps a mage with a button or two easily.  It's too much damn work to be a mage when your rotation requires perfect timing just to get within 20% of a rogue/war's single target dps.  

My mage just hit rank 6 in pvp and I may just give it up.  Warriors/rogues run the show in there as well. It seems like weapon dps scales much better than sp does in terms of dps output.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:28:59 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #272 on: July 18, 2011, 01:29:48 PM

I like my cleric.  Sticking with a druid/shaman build for now.  It's one button faceroll with a high amount of survivability.   Perfect for leveling, although the satyr is a bit squishy.

Next patch is looking like I'll be going 40+ in druid or shaman.  Would be nice if shaman was on par with druid.  I'd rather not have to manage a pet.

-Rasix
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: July 18, 2011, 02:38:22 PM

If you want to dps, be anything but a mage.  While mage ae dps is pretty competitive, a rogue/tank/cleric can out dps a mage with a button or two easily.  It's too much damn work to be a mage when your rotation requires perfect timing just to get within 20% of a rogue/war's single target dps.

Sadly true. Mages seem good early on in the gearing cycle when everyone has crappy stuff, but as I am moving up with my rogue, its kind of stupid how much easier it is compared to the mage. Even a "complex" sab rotation is much easier. Never mind the wonder that is the 1 button ranger/assassin/bladedancer.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: July 18, 2011, 06:22:04 PM

The marksrangass was pretty decent before I got the shiny world event gun, but once I got that my finishers moved into something like 800 range, just ridiculous. Not looking forward to finally out-leveling that, since it's quest-based and I won't be getting into my 40s before the event ends.

But the mage is mostly for gathering for the craftards to twink my other characters. It's the way I played EQ2 and I got tired of playing the Wizard before I hit the level cap and never played my kitted out lowbies much. So I should probably learn from that and just play the rogue.

I have a warrior and cleric but I already played them to death in the 'beta' and I get tired of pug bullshit blame game crap. So nice to just sit back and pew pew.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: July 18, 2011, 06:27:05 PM

The marksrangass was pretty decent before I got the shiny world event gun, but once I got that my finishers moved into something like 800 range, just ridiculous. Not looking forward to finally out-leveling that, since it's quest-based and I won't be getting into my 40s before the event ends.

They have a tendency to keep those things working. So, I might stock up several maps for after the event ends just in case.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: October 15, 2011, 07:19:42 PM

I've got my Cleric up into the mid-30s but I'm having issues with elites, specifically some at the end of minor Rifts.  The damage build I'm currently running with (Inquisitor/Justicar) just started getting bowled over by elites these past few levels (or I guess I've started running into them more).

Ideally I'd like a caster-y option but I'm open to anything at the moment.

Edit: I'll add that I'm aware of Justicar/Shaman but from a playstyle standpoint that's almost the opposite of what I'd like.  Now that I've got a bit more of the vocabulary down, it does look like I'm sunk though.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:08:19 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: October 15, 2011, 08:52:59 PM

The stage 5 bosses are tough. There's no way around it. When I was doing them, I mostly cycled life spells to keep up convictions and then spammed DoL as necessary. But even then, a couple of lucky crits will take you down. That's why I mostly stopped at stage 4 if I was doing them solo. I'd wait for the timer to complete and then kill them off to get the rift closing exp.

I don't remember what there is in the 30s, but you might want to look into the passive heal greater essences.

How far into Justicar are you? 11 points is about all you want for Reparation. I skip DoB.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: October 15, 2011, 10:22:06 PM

Yeah, just up to Reparation (as I weirdly get LFG queues as damage more than half the time).  This is where I'm at now.  I like DoB just because it's like 1/6 the cost of DoL.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:40 PM

Impede is all you need to solo level 5/6 rifts as an inquisitor. DoT the elite up, keep impede up at all times, and use fanaticism when you get instant cast bolt of depravities. Kite the enemy in circles, and use excommunicate when it gets too close. I've been able to solo every rift I've done so far on my 46 cleric with a inquisitor build.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Soul opinions  
Jump to: