Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season #3 Playoffs Prediction's thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Season #3 Playoffs Prediction's thread  (Read 25627 times)
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

on: January 23, 2011, 04:27:22 PM

Playoff predictions

Battletech Div:

1st - llyse
2nd - Teleku

Cthulhu the Orient

1st - comstar
2nd - andydavo

Stormbringer

1st - brocktoon
2nd - hoax

Twilight 2000

1st - Falc
2nd - Avaia

Battletech Division:

It was a tough call but even though IceCream and Ingmar are sitting 2nd and 3rd I think Teleku and his deer headed quarterback have got it together from a big run Towards the playoffs. Lamaros will make a good show of it but it'll bent little too late. Even neckbeards fall to The Claw.

Cthulhu the Orient:

Comstar's team has had some stat ups and are looking fine to jiggle their way to the finals again. AndyDavo's experience to sneak by Xuri's Norse.

Stormbringer:

Here's where it gets interesting, Modern seems to have hit a good run of luck and his team will be strong enough to force their way into the playoffs past Ramas' Norse. I'm backing Hoax to make it past Megrim's morsels and out bash the Norse Glass cannon after a serious training regimé.

Twilight 2000:

Falc finally makes it into the playoffs after shaking off his choking and draw tendencies. Avaia will finish in 2nd place even with a strong showing from Bann's Dandies and Rat Country.

Overall pretty balanced divisions.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:14:00 PM by Llyse »
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:49:30 PM

Playoff Predictions

Group 1:
Alive not Dead
Negative Capability

The 2 Necro teams go head to head. I hope the Dwarves don't  and would like to see the Lizards make it but don't think they can match the skills of the Necro teams.

Group 2:
F13 Catfighters, winning every game but losing some players on the way. See you in the finals!
The Wishmasters Wildcards. A new entry to the drawl comes out on top despite having a low Team Value.

Group 3:
Team Snoosnoo (to continue the Amazon links)
Scarlet and Grey

Another twin team playoff.

Group 4:
The Bell Jar Utd because girls are just better.
The Dandies (because I want to see the only Human team show that flexibility wins matches more than brute force or AG 4).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:52 PM

I finished last season with some very good level ups so I'm hitting this season running.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:49:33 PM

Thats very nice of you Llyse since I haven't won a game yet this season.  But thanks for the vote of confidence!

I can't even begin to make predictions, game is just to random.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:00:44 PM

At 1-1-1 I am going to have to pick up the pace if I want to make it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:11:06 PM

Meh, considering that barring a miracle everyone who is not Llyse will have at least one loss by the end of the season, it makes more sense to consider yourself 1-1-0 in comparison to those who have not played Calvin & *deceased* yet.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:04:56 PM

Meh, considering that barring a miracle everyone who is not Llyse will have at least one loss by the end of the season, it makes more sense to consider yourself 1-1-0 in comparison to those who have not played Calvin & *deceased* yet.

The irony of me making it easier for other people to win that matchup is not lost on me.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:09:46 PM

Battletech Division

Can't really look past Alive not Dead to top the group. I think you'l see a decent chase for second, but I'd go with Beardstorm! by a whisker, there are a fair few good matchups for Dwarfs.

Orient Division

Catfighters and Hackers. Wildcards or Hackers is the real question mark, but Wildcards have had some early development setbacks and Iain seems to have lost his jinx this season.

Stormbringer Division

Predicting your own group only leads to disaster, so I'm going to go as far as to say I can see SnooSnoo, Scarlet & Gray, Hunqua all being in the running on day 6 or 7. I also think Rebourne's Ogres and Megrim's Morsel are going to upset some shit. You add an extra Vampire or Ogre to those teams, and roll a few less boneheads/bloodlusts, and suddenly they pull up trees. Plus Megrim is presumably good at this game, qualifying as he did from his (inferior) division last season.

Twilight Division

Initial inclination is Bell Jar and Rat Country. Problem is, the skaven team is going to face a lot of mobile but relatively bashy teams (3 flavours of humans, necro, to a lesser extent the undead), which are not great matchups for the Rats, so I'm going to go with Necco Waivers instead.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:33 PM

The irony of me making it easier for other people to win that matchup is not lost on me.

Selfless community service is the dwarven way!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 07:19:52 PM

Ditto Comstar for Cthulhu division!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 05:17:12 PM

Here are my original playoff predictions

Battletech

1st - Llyse
2nd - Lamaros

Cthulhu the Orient

1st - Comstar
2nd - AndyDavo

Stormbringer

1st - Megrim
2nd - No Idea!

Twilight 2000

1st - Strazos
2nd - Avaia

Revised Predictions

Battletech

1st - Lamaros
2nd - Llyse

Had to change the order around. Llyse won't win this week and then I'll defeat him the week after, putting myself top of the standings. I wont look back!

Cthulhu the Orient

1st - Comstar
2nd - AndyDavo

Nothing has changed in these predictions. Both are looking good.

Stormbringer

1st - Megrim
2nd - Ramas

Tough to pick these ones, but I think Megrim will still get there and Ramas can pick up enough points.

Twilight 2000

1st - Strazos
2nd - Avaia

Falc and Krummi have given themselves a good chance, but I'm going to stick with my early predictions.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:25:26 PM

In retrospective, we should have probably went for more people in the playoffs, like 4 per divisions. Sure, it's a little too forgiving (16 teams out of 32 making it to the playoffs, as opposed to actual 8 out of 32), maybe too much, but it keeps the regular season exciting way longer than with just two.

I think we should seriously do some brainstorming about it for the next season.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 05:28:33 PM

You could split the difference and take the top 3, finishing first gets you a bye?

I don't know if the game will let you get that complicated with the structure, though, and it could be argued that because of the way leveling and TV works getting a bye isn't actually advantageous.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 05:33:18 PM

If one were able to make the 1st place team play the 4th, and the 2nd place team play the 3rd, I would say that's a great way to go for an expanded divisional playoff scenario.  It still gives, presumably, an edge to the top team, but it doesn't damage them by depriving them of an mvp and other possible SPPs that a bye week would.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 05:35:59 PM

Top 4 is a bit too forgiving if the finals are a playoff system. There is a bunch of luck in this game and it would be wrong, funny but wrong, to see a team that went through the season undefeated get nuffled out at the first round of the finals to a team that scraped in 4th and lost more than they won. If the groups were bigger then top 4 would be a good option though.

I think it might be fun to have smaller groups and have everyone play each other twice, with the top two going to the finals. That keeps things alive more as beating a competitor can upset the order more, though how you would do it would be tough with the unflexible system cyanide has in place.

Of course heaps depends on how many are around for season 4 too.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 05:45:29 PM

There is a bunch of luck in this game and it would be wrong, funny but wrong, to see a team that went through the season undefeated get nuffled out at the first round of the finals to a team that scraped in 4th and lost more than they won.

Hey, it happened to the New Orleans Saints.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 05:52:37 PM

Could go World Cup style with 4 person groups, yeah. Would it allow a 'consolation' playoff for teams who didn't make the cut for the top half?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 01:17:56 AM

Fuck playoffs tbh.

3 rounds of playoffs is plenty.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 04:33:40 AM

Can't be complicated at all, as I recall.

Top two is fine.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 07:49:32 AM

Technically they could be as complicated as we are willing to do paperwork for, since we could just stick all the playoff teams into a private challenge-only league and just keep track of who should play who when, results, etc.

Not that this would be remotely worth it, of course, unless somebody devises The Greatest Playoff Structure Known To Mankind.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 07:40:25 AM

Update on predictions:

Battletech

1st - Llyse
2nd - Ingmar - The beard is strong

Cthulhu the Orient

1st - Andy - not much to be said here
2nd - Proudft - Recovering from the early loss of a Throw-Ra Proudft will make into the playoffs reminding me of another necromantic team taking an early loss

Stormbringer

1st - SnooSnoo - Modern Angel is the freight train that never stops but will lose Joe to Hoax' dirty tricks  awesome, for real
2nd - Megrim - Strong finish for an arrogant sonofabitch

Twilight 2000

1st - Falc - Representing women of all ugliness!
2nd - Strazos - Representing men of all sexuality!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 07:46:20 AM

Cthulhu the Orient

2nd - Proudft - Recovering from the early loss of a Throw-Ra Proudft will make into the playoffs reminding me of another necromantic team taking an early loss

No Iain nor Comstar? This is bold, man.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 07:59:17 AM

Cthulhu the Orient

No Iain nor Comstar? This is bold, man.

Yeah, I get to play Proudft in the next game day, if I win I'm practically guaranteed a playoff spot while Proudft has to beat me and Comstar to stay in contention. Comstar and Andy meet on day 7 and the winner of that game will also have a playoff spot although if Proudft beats me and then loses to Comstar, they could both go through.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:04:58 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:16:42 AM

Stormbringer is getting tighter.

The race for second looks like this :

6 pts   +4 TD   Silver Horde     to play Nifty Helments, Team SnooSnoo, Morsel
6 pts   +1 TD   Morsel              to play Rebourne's Wrestlers, Offsidhes, Silver Horde
5 pts   +2 TD   Offsidhes          to play Scarlet & Gray, Morsel, Rebourne's Wrestlers
5 pts   -1  TD   Scarlet & Gray  to play Offsidhes, Nifty Helmets, Team SnooSnoo
5 pts   -2 TD    H H Burninluv   to play Team SnooSnoo, Rebourne's Wrestlers, Nifty Helmets

If we make the assumption that Team Snoosnoo wins its matches by 1, and the Wrestlers and Helmets lose theirs by 2, we'd be left with this table.

11 pts  +1 TD   H H Burninluv   to play no-one
9 pts   +5 TD   Silver Horde     to play  Morsel
9 pts   +3 TD   Morsel              to play  Offsidhes, Silver Horde
8 pts   +4 TD   Offsidhes          to play Scarlet & Gray, Morsel
8 pts   +0  TD   Scarlet & Gray  to play Offsidhes

There is no way this many matches will go to form once patented Stormbringer Sauce is applied, but we can start to see how many points are needed to qualify (my guess, 12) and what people need to do against form to get there.

Burninluv need to score points against Snoosnoo, or they'll simply find themselves running out of matches.

Silver Horde need to stop tying matches, beat the Helmets and then one of SnooSnoo or Morsel.

Morsel have a run in against as wide a variety of teams as you can get, Elfs, Humans, Ogres, they need 2 of 3, but have been strongest against the dodgy and weakest against the bashy, no more Orcs means I think they are favourites.

Offsidhes and Scarlet and Gray both need at least 7 points and play each other on day 5, if one gets a clear win in that game they are certainly in the hunt, and the other is probably out of it. A draw still gives offsidhes a shot because of their easier run in, and better TD prospects, but a draw for S&G leaves them needing to beat SnooSnoo and hope for ties elsewhere.

As I mention above, my pick for second is Morsel.

EDIT : Breaking News, H H Burninluv just took down SnooSnoo, putting them on track for 14 points if they can get past the Wrestlers and Helmets.

In match up terms Ogres vs Lizards is interesting as Ogres are really a more extreme version of the Lizards, so unusual things might still happen there. I'd say this makes HHB favourites for second, but if either Scarlet and Gray or Silver Horde repeat HHB's win, SnooSnoo's place in the playoffs is suddenly up for grabs.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:25:30 AM by eldaec »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 10:26:23 AM

So if I told you that Burninlove beat me just now?
AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 06:51:01 AM

Playoff predictions

Battletech Div:

1st - Lamaros - played an interesting 2-2 draw with you, i tip you for a play off as long as u  win this week to stay in contention.
2nd - icecreamemperor (since he played so well against me i think he's in with a shout)

Cthulhu the Orient

1st - AndyDavo - me, if i dont back me i cant expect anyone else to tbh.
2nd - Comstar - an impressive team played by a good coach, always a dangerous mix. we do have a tight division however so either 1 or both of us may miss out.

Stormbringer - i know nothing of this division i'm afraid.

1st - brocktoon
2nd - Ramas

Twilight 2000

1st - Krummi - such an impressive record in nagg must mean this kids good
2nd - Falc - played him and he knows his way around a BB field

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 07:12:55 AM

Someone believes in the commissioner after all. Just for the records, I only lost one match out of ten played. Think you can hit my dodgy girls, you bunch of pervs?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 07:22:00 AM

I'll beat you up with all my tackle/block orcs.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 07:34:12 AM

Playoff predictions

Battletech Div:

1st - Lamaros - played an interesting 2-2 draw with you, i tip you for a play off as long as u  win this week to stay in contention.
2nd - icecreamemperor

Llyse has 15 points and two games to play.

I have 7 with three. If I win all mine I have 16 points.

Ice has 11 and two. If Ice wins his he has 17 points.

Llyse plays both of us, so even one draw in any of those 5 games will mean he goes through. Massive call for him to miss.
AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 09:25:08 AM

Battletech Div:

2nd - icecreamemperor[/quote]

Llyse has 15 points and two games to play.

I have 7 with three. If I win all mine I have 16 points.

Ice has 11 and two. If Ice wins his he has 17 points.

Llyse plays both of us, so even one draw in any of those 5 games will mean he goes through. Massive call for him to miss.
[/quote]

it's only because i have played both of these coaches and i would expect them both to win their remaining games, given their standard. however i understand your point. I havenot ofc played the other coach u mention so maybe he is as good/ better? I'm still going to stand by my prediction since they were both nice guys and i would like to play them again. (i think the spanner in the works may be MY failure to qualify tbh, since my team is mashed beyond belief!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 09:31:09 AM

Shift key and spellcheck... swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 01:40:51 PM

Cthulhu Division is now red hot with three teams chasing two spots and one outsider who can still (mathematically at least) force an upset.

After five games, AndyDavo and I are on 13 points, Comstar is on 12 and Proudft is on 9.

I've played all my games vs the other three contenders so I only have soft games vs Ginaz and Sky to go. It's possible that I'll drop some points but even if Nuffle kicks me hard in the balls I can still get through with 3 or 4 extra points.

AndyDavo and Comstar have to play each other on the last game day - this is easily the biggest game that day.

Comstar meets Proudft next before his crucial decider with AndyDavo, Andy has a soft game vs Haemish up next.

So, it's vanishingly unlikely that AndyDavo will lose to Haemish or that I will lose to Ginaz. We are both likely to be on 16 points each going into game day 7.

If Proudft beats or draws with Comstar then things get very interesting. A draw puts Proudft out of the running but also makes it almost impossible for Comstar to go through. Comstar would be on 13 points and, even if he beat AndyDavo in the final game then he'd need a huge TD difference to break the tie for second. As AndyDavo is likely to score a lot vs Haemish that's a forlorn hope.

If Proudft beats Comstar and Comstar beats AndyDavo then Proudft ends the season on 15 points, he needs AndyDavo to also lose vs Haemish and he needs to beat Comstar something like 7-0 to break the tie. It's theoretically possible but I wouldn't put any money on it.

The last day should see me on 19 points and with a solid playoff spot. AndyDavo will have 16 points before his game with Comstar. Comstar will need to have beaten Proudft to go any further so he will need to be on 15 points otherwise it's an all Dark Elf affair at the top of the table. At that point the AndyDavo/Comstar match decides the second playoff spot with AndyDavo only needing a draw to go through. If I draw either of my last two games then I need Comstar to score no more than four points from his last two games - if Comstar loses either of them then I am through automatically.

AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 02:10:09 PM

a very interesting write up, getting next weeks games played will be very interesting.  have you seen the state of my team thou - while i  would hope to win next week, i  dont hold much hope of scoring heavily, 2-1 will be about the best i can hope for. I would also add that i think comstar has got to be favorite going into the last game of the season he's about 600tv over me - i'm not going to be used to being on the recieving end of such inducements!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 02:37:07 PM

Even with a team full of loners I don't see you losing to Haemish. It may not end up a 7-0 thrashing but I'd expect at least 3 or 4 TDs from you. The Wood Elves are also unlikely to do a lot of damage to you either so you'll probably go into the last game vs Comstar with a mostly healthy team.

Comstar will definitely have the advantage in that game but it's going to be too close to call and there's a good chance that Proudft's Tomb Guardians will have injured a lot of his critical players for you.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 04:00:05 PM

Now I'm just going to hope Haemish punches both of you in the face...just to make things interesting.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season #3 Playoffs Prediction's thread  
Jump to: