Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season #3 Playoffs Prediction's thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Season #3 Playoffs Prediction's thread  (Read 25634 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 23, 2011, 02:39:51 AM

I agree.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #71 on: February 23, 2011, 07:05:12 AM

KILLS

why so serious? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #72 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:11 AM

While I agree with what people are saying, I also feel that td diff and especially td's for strongly favor certain races over others. Which is why I like head to head. Does it come down more to luck? Maybe so but its BB what doesn't come down to luck.

I think a more compelling argument and therefore one that despite that fact that nobody has made it I'll agree with is that td diff can lead to more final week drama in most circumstances than head to head.

So TD diff -> Head to Head -> Kills/Coin Flip/3rd party game tie breaker
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:15:00 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:00 AM

While I agree with what people are saying, I also feel that td diff and especially td's for strongly favor certain races over others. Which is why I like head to head. Does it come down more to luck? Maybe so but its BB what doesn't come down to luck.

The race you choose to play as.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #74 on: February 23, 2011, 07:14:03 AM

Looks like we need a poll...

Meanwhile crickets chirp waiting for the last match of Day 6...  Ohhhhh, I see.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:26 AM

TD diff has the added advantage of being the measure that the system uses first. So outside of stormbringer everything happens automatically and we don't have to construct our own tables.

S&G and HHB could still use clarification on the TV rule for this season btw.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #76 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:59 AM

I still prefer head-to-head mostly because it just feels shitty to have someone you beat win a tiebreaker with you on something else. Really, none of them are perfect, TD difference is nearly as bad as TDs for for teams like dwarves or khemri that just will never blow someone out and tend to win or lose all their matches by 1.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 23, 2011, 12:02:08 PM

I still prefer head-to-head mostly because it just feels shitty to have someone you beat win a tiebreaker with you on something else. Really, none of them are perfect, TD difference is nearly as bad as TDs for for teams like dwarves or khemri that just will never blow someone out and tend to win or lose all their matches by 1.

Clearly they must be combined. TD difference modified by a head-to-head multiplier, so that a difference from the head-to-head matchup counts triple! Except I guess that doesn't work as well for three-way ties. Curses.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: February 23, 2011, 12:18:13 PM

My specific preference:

- TD diff.
 - Wood Elfs killed.
 - Other Elfs killed.
 - Non-elfs killed.
 - Alphabetical order by Star sign.
 - Quality of match reports posted.
 - Success in the prediction thread.

I give no fucks really, less democracy please.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #79 on: February 23, 2011, 02:53:47 PM

I'll deal with whatever the conditions are, but I would prefer head-to-head as a team that is not going to have spectacular TD differentials.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 11:34:13 PM

From this season there is very little evidence that elfs or whatever have naturally higher TD differences.

They score more but also concede more.

The only teams with TD diff outside the typical range are the Catfighters, Alive not Dead, HoHomeopathy, and Peace Dogs. Last season's finalists, and the two new coaches who have struggled the most.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:37:58 PM by eldaec »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #81 on: February 24, 2011, 02:17:25 PM

Show me on the doll where the Wood Elves touched you.   awesome, for real

On TD's...I'm at work and can't look at stats, but am I really only on average for TD's?  I've scored in every game except against Llyse so far, and I've had a 7 TD and 6 TD game.  Also a 3 TD game against Lamaros.  My losses haven't been blow outs either....  Just seems amazing that I wouldn't be on the higher end of the TD scale.

So, from my experiences, TD seems a bit unfair since I can naturally make a shit ton of them when 1 team falls apart.  When facing bashy teams, the strategy is NOT to score a bunch of TD's, even if you've crippled the other team.  You try to hold onto the ball and delay the game until you score at the end, going for 2-1 type victories. 

Going by TD's seems a bit unfair to them.  But great for me!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #82 on: February 24, 2011, 02:28:32 PM

The standings posted have you at -3 TD, which seems like it can't possibly be right. I think all the Nix games got retconned to 2-0, but even with that...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 24, 2011, 03:01:28 PM

Teleku is at +7 prior to the NiX adjustment, and +2 afterwards. The -3 was correct if it already included the NiX thing, with the 6-1 win improving the difference to +2. The elves did lose 3-0 to Llyse after all.

Of course, after next week's game it will probably be back to -3.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:25 PM

Just pick. Nobody should care. There are drawbacks to everything, it probably won't come into play, go see what other leagues are doing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: February 24, 2011, 07:12:52 PM

Best paintjob.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: February 24, 2011, 07:41:13 PM

Loudest nerdrage.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:21 PM

Best contribution to the T&A thread.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 27, 2011, 08:21:55 PM

Here are my original playoff predictions

Those in green are correct and through. Those in red are wrong and out.

Battletech

Llyse
Lamaros

Cthulhu the Orient

Comstar
AndyDavo

Stormbringer

Megrim
?? (drogg, in the end!)

Twilight 2000

Strazos
Avaia
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:01:39 PM by lamaros »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 28, 2011, 01:47:29 PM

How is the post-season knock-out cup thingy being seeded btw?

Do we get another exciting draw video starring Falconeer's glamorous hand, or are we doing a fixed structure based on where you finished in which league?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 28, 2011, 01:58:27 PM

I demand another video.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:23 PM

Glad I could disappoint everyone, including myself.  Heartbreak
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #92 on: February 28, 2011, 05:58:36 PM

I want another video!

Also I only got Cthulhu the Orient right...

Everything else was wrong.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 01, 2011, 03:20:00 AM

The vote seems to be going strongly in favour of a new draw for the post season competition. That being the I assume it'll be winners seeded against runners up, with group protection to stop two sides from the same league facing each other in the first round?

This is important as theorycrafting favourable / unfavourable match ups is a critical part of pre-draw analysis.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 01, 2011, 05:14:58 AM

How do the playoff's actually work- who plays who?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #95 on: March 02, 2011, 12:47:57 AM

It's winners versus runner-ups. There will be a new draw. There won't be a new video unless I can hire my son to star in it (which is highly unlikely). The awesome would be my fucking father, 78 years old and 50 years on stage. But that's probably even less likely to happen.

Finish the regular season so we can wrap up the League before I leave for Florida and spend the off-time while I am there!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 02, 2011, 06:38:37 AM

I vote for getting your dad to do the draw and a hot topless italian chick to hold the bowl he draws from. Nay, I demand it!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #97 on: March 02, 2011, 08:57:29 AM

I actually have a hot Italian woman staying with me for the weekend. It might... be... fun to involve her somehow.
But then again, she's probably not what you have in mind.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season #3 Playoffs Prediction's thread  
Jump to: